• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WrestleZone Tournament Bar Room Sidetalk Thread

And, while you're right, I never waved that flag, because I honestly didn't think it needed to be said. It was bullshit to even be brought up in the first place.

Not the manner in which they brought it up. It was a very bad look for the business for a few months, that much is entirely valid....and one of the original major components for voting has always been impact on the business/legacy.

Yeah I should've brought it up but I actually thought there must have been some truth to that statement so I didn't reply. Looked it up the next morning and couldn't find anything but my say had already ended. I was only 13 when it happened and was only on WZ so didn't know all the stories then. Although my learning of wrestling since should've told me otherwise. It was 3am but so I'll blame that.

I called bullshit on the "almost killed the business" stance. Damage? Yup, but things were changed for the better because of it.

Barely anyone mentioned Ambrose or his accomplishments other than snippets of being better on the mic or that they like him more. For the most part it was "well, he isnt a killer". Hence my comical deduction that since Jim Johnston is not a killer and has done tons for the business, then he should win.

My reading of that thread is that a few people either thought it would be funny or morally correct or a fun challenge or whatever to push Ambrose over Benoit by breaking the 4th wall (thanks Deadpool) and distracting from the fact that Benoit is one of the most entertaining wrestlers of all time and Ambrose hasn't had a single match that comes close to touching Benoit's best and instead focusing on the negative aspects of Benoit's career.

The match could have been Benoit vs. anybody and Benoit would have lost. It didn't matter who Benoit was facing, for whatever reason people picked this year, nearly a decade after the fact, to make an impassioned argument against Benoit as a viable candidate in this tournament.

And that kind of takes the fun out of the tournament, because if the point of all this is to discuss which wrestler had the best overall impact on the business, then we don't really need this bracket, do we? In fact, that kind of hold us back because it forces us to make decisions between people like Kurt Angle and Roddy Piper while the winner of that match will go on to face Kane and (Insert flavor of the month here).

If all we're doing is selecting one wrestler to be the king of all wrestlers, why not just do this elections style? Have people nominate wrestlers, make arguments, hold a series of elections slowly eliminating the wrestlers with the fewest votes, and then in the end have a poll with 4 wrestlers, highest vote getter wins the whole thing.

You'll rarely find be defending the WrestleZone Tournament, and while I appreciate the tenacity and passion displayed by the people who pushed Ambrose over Benoit, I can't help but think that they kind of missed the point of the whole thing.

My reading of that thread is that a few people either thought it would be funny or morally correct or a fun challenge or whatever to push Ambrose over Benoit by breaking the 4th wall (thanks Deadpool) and distracting from the fact that Benoit is one of the most entertaining wrestlers of all time and Ambrose hasn't had a single match that comes close to touching Benoit's best and instead focusing on the negative aspects of Benoit's career.

Well then you read it correctly

for whatever reason people picked this year, nearly a decade after the fact, to make an impassioned argument against Benoit as a viable candidate in this tournament.

See above

I called bullshit on the "almost killed the business" stance. Damage? Yup, but things were changed for the better because of it.

Barely anyone mentioned Ambrose or his accomplishments other than snippets of being better on the mic or that they like him more. For the most part it was "well, he isnt a killer". Hence my comical deduction that since Jim Johnston is not a killer and has done tons for the business, then he should win.

As far as I know there have only been 2 events in wrestling history that were so bad that they nearly destroyed the industry. The first was a bitter Jack Pfefer exposing kayfabe and the work to the public at large in the 30's. The other was the NWA being indicted on breaking anti-Sherman trust laws [which they were] in the 50's and very nearly having to disband.

Incidents such as Dick Shikat shooting on Danno Mahoney and destroying the reputation of the trusts, Sonny Meyer's lawsuit against Pinkie George, the steroid scandal in 90's, and the numerous transgressions of individual stars have left deep scars on the industry, but wasn't enough to fully kill it. Even the Benoit murders. Because in pro wrestling, who hasn't committed murder or at least tried to?

Scott Hall shot and killed a man in a bar fight.
Jimmy Snuka murdered his ex-girlfriend.
Jose Gonzales stabbed Bruiser Brody to death in a shower.
Rey Mysterio killed a man in an in ring accident in Mexico.
Verne Gagne killed a man in a nursing home.
Sid tried to stab Arn Anderson to death with a pair of scissors.
New Jack tried to kill 2 wrestlers in the ring and has reportedly killed 4 others during his work as a bounty hunter.

I can't help but think that they kind of missed the point of the whole thing.

As one particular poster continued to mention, the point of the whole thing was never explicitly stated, so how was anyone to know who to vote for in a wrestling tournament? :shrug:

And it really did turn me off from the tournament for a few days, so I'm glad there was some time off to hopefully let cooler heads prevail.

As one particular poster continued to mention, the point of the whole thing was never explicitly stated, so how was anyone to know who to vote for in a wrestling tournament? :shrug:

And it really did turn me off from the tournament for a few days, so I'm glad there was some time off to hopefully let cooler heads prevail.
I'm pretty sure that particular poster's argument was that what one person sees the 'point' as might be different from what another person sees the 'point' as, and in the absence of official direction (and absence of official correction), people are free to decide for themselves what the 'point' is. As was evidenced by the voting and discussion in that thread, it would seem that there are many different viewpoints on what the 'point' is.

It would seem that many people have the viewpoint that while in-ring professional skill should be a major factor, it does not have to be the only, sole, exclusive, and limited factor.

I wouldn't know for sure though, because you aren't the passive-aggressive type at all, so if I was that particular poster I'm sure you would have mentioned my name.

Scott Hall shot and killed a man in a bar fight.
Jimmy Snuka murdered his ex-girlfriend.
Jose Gonzales stabbed Bruiser Brody to death in a shower.
Rey Mysterio killed a man in an in ring accident in Mexico.
Verne Gagne killed a man in a nursing home.
Sid tried to stab Arn Anderson to death with a pair of scissors.
New Jack tried to kill 2 wrestlers in the ring and has reportedly killed 4 others during his work as a bounty hunter.

One of these is not like the others.

Plus didn't Sid get stabbed four times himself?

UNC3

I can't keep up with your high-functioning brain, NSL. Was this directed at me, or at One Particular Poster? There's a lot of name changes to keep track of around here, but I can't find One Particular Poster in the members list.

Wait, Jim Carrey is on the spectrum?

I don't exactly have his medical records to pull out, but that's been rumor pretty much accepted as fact for a while now. Surprisingly it's fairly common amongst comedians, which would strike you as somewhat counter-intuitive.

This all goes back way before he came out as anti-vaccine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back