• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WrestleZone Tournament Bar Room Sidetalk Thread

At least we can all agree on someone besides Kurt who is not boring, that man being RVD.

So who is going to vote for him over Thesz with me? I clearly cant be the only one willing to do so, especially considering that half the voters have never made it through an entire Lou Thesz match without getting bored.

At least we can all agree on someone besides Kurt who is not boring, that man being RVD.

So who is going to vote for him over Thesz with me? I clearly cant be the only one willing to do so, especially considering that half the voters have never made it through an entire Lou Thesz match without getting bored.

You got weed?

"Well Thesz invented three quarters of the moves that make up the foundation of modern wrestling. So he could definitely think of something to combat RVD. Besides, Thesz is too smart to lay there while RVD tries to splash him."

The basis of actual kayfabe arguments I expect from the pro-Thesz camp. Such is the level of discourse I expect from the high-brow old school crowd.

Too smart to lay there while RVD tries to splash him...

I have heard that one before. Wow, which year was it when Lariat went super nuts over an early old school elimination?

Oh yeah thats right, every year.

Unfortunately, there's no reason to vote against Kane next round.

I might still do it. I just don't have any reason to.

You got weed?

You a cop, Mr. Gigglepig?

Knowing moves & not wanting to lay on the ground does not mean you wont get kicked in the head. Plus, this isnt a shoot. Thesz understands how to sell & the importance of putting the next generation over so the business may continue to thrive.

That should be enough to convince anyone besides Ech. Can we just close the match thread early without all that voting/debate hoopla?

I think I saw Gelgarin lurking a couple days ago.

Not sure I have the energy to deal with someone that competent.

If Coco makes a good argument for RVD I'll hop on the bandwagon, mostly just to see how far it can be taken.

Goldust wasn't exactly a trail blazer in his prime either NSL.

What? Yes he was.

Too smart to lay there while RVD tries to splash him...

I have heard that one before. Wow, which year was it when Lariat went super nuts over an early old school elimination?

Oh yeah thats right, every year.

This was your best post ever. I'd rep you for it if you didn't have a thousand horrible posts to even it out.

For what it's worth, I'm not saying all of those people I listed were more over than Benoit at the time. But I think some of them certainly were and the notion that Benoit was UNDENIABLY more over is nonsense.

I don't watch this knowing RVD is definitively more over than Benoit. But there's obviously a discussion to be had. And if 2003/2004 Raws are finally uploaded to the Network (I'll check later), I know of many more comparable examples to point you towards.

And this is taking into account that Benoit's biggest push ever is in full swing at the time while Van Dam should be running on fumes at this point.

Van Dam was over. Big time. Benoit isn't the run-away most over man at the time.

You a cop, Mr. Gigglepig?

Knowing moves & not wanting to lay on the ground does not mean you wont get kicked in the head. Plus, this isnt a shoot. Thesz understands how to sell & the importance of putting the next generation over so the business may continue to thrive.

That should be enough to convince anyone besides Ech. Can we just close the match thread early without all that voting/debate hoopla?

I'd love to see the look on Thesz's face when RVD does the split legged moonsault on him. He aint selling for no monkey act!

This would be a good opportunity to dig up a Lou Vs Rocca match.

This was your best post ever. I'd rep you for it if you didn't have a thousand horrible posts to even it out.

Honestly, couldn't care less coming from you.

Unfortunately, there's no reason to vote against Kane next round.

I might still do it. I just don't have any reason to.

There is a very good reason not to vote against Kane. Its called Ech's Sean Connery like persistence.

Besides, Thesz is too smart to lay there while RVD tries to splash him."

I promise not to use this argument as long as no one says Thesz would just stand there in a stunned stupor because a human being is flying through the air toward him.

I'd love to see the look on Thesz's face when RVD does the split legged moonsault on him. He aint selling for no monkey act!

[youtube]NrF-JX6VRtk[/youtube]

RVD would get pummeled to death while Thesz works the Connecticut crowd into a near riot. But unlike the pussy New York crowd the fans of that time period actually would riot.

There is a very good reason not to vote against Kane. Its called Ech's Sean Connery like persistence.

I like to think I have an answer for everything.

A "near riot" isn't a riot.

And when has RVD ever been pummelled to death? Judging by the fact that Van Dam is still alive, never.

Even your hyperbolic hypotheticals stink of horseshit.

In what world is Kurt Angle boring? If someone uses that argument, I'm sure we as an intelligent community could come up with a list of about 20 matches that are irrefutably exciting.

I could pull up some of his amateur matches that are more exciting than some pro matches...

Goldust wasn't exactly a trail blazer in his prime either NSL.

:blink:

And that clusterfuck is better booked than the prerecorded molestation that was Goldust vs. Roddy Piper.

It is much worse booked than that match was. The match itself, if it's better, will be because it involves a ladder.

I plan to vote for Van Dam. But, sadly, I feel like it parallels my vote for Bernie. It's the right thing to do, but people won't do it, because they don't think he has a chance.

RVD would get pummeled to death while Thesz works the Connecticut crowd into a near riot. But unlike the pussy New York crowd the fans of that time period actually would riot.

If we're pushing guys through for their ability to incite riots, I want my vote back in the Graham/Dudley match. Bubba Ray should definitely win this, in a final against Shane Douglas.

What? Yes he was.

I've learned something today.

It is much worse booked than that match was. The match itself, if it's better, will be because it involves a ladder.

You'd think a match would be improved moreso with cars than a ladder. Now watch Ryder win it all as a big FUCK YOU to narrative.

Wait you called Goldust vs. Piper a match? Eh, to each his own.

You'd think a match would be improved moreso with cars than a ladder. Now watch Ryder win it all as a big FUCK YOU to narrative.

The cars were not directly used within the match. It was a stupid ass chase that was made to poke fun at OJ way after the shine had worn off.

Wait you called Goldust vs. Piper a match? Eh, to each his own.

People call the things Brie Bella participates in "matches", so yes...Goldust v Piper was a match. And, if we're taking the low point of anyone's career into consideration, can we get rid of Austin, for losing to Mikey Whipwreck?

I thought Dust's stuttering, Seven, Black Reigns, etc were lower points.

I actually really like Goldust. I just see why he didn't win and it doesn't seem all that controversial to me.

I like to think I have an answer for everything.

44f9daa34b808a2c6ef040cffcae91dd.jpg

The banter and arguments usually devolves to this anyway.

But I have a funny feeling RVD might sneak past Lou. The voters this time for some reason are getting swayed heavy if you give them a convincing enough argument. Hitler would do well in these times.

But I have a funny feeling RVD might sneak past Lou. The voters this time for some reason are getting swayed heavy if you give them a convincing enough argument. Hitler would do well in these times.

It's not "sneaking past" anything when you're one of the top guys in your generation.

I'm just wondering what the over/under is on how many posts it will take before "Lou was a legit badass and would shoot on him" takes over and the thread devolves into nonsense.

It's not "sneaking past" anything when you're one of the top guys in your generation.

I'm just wondering what the over/under is on how many posts it will take before "Lou was a legit badass and would shoot on him" takes over and the thread devolves into nonsense.

Right after a Gelgarin post where Gelgs will explain the greatness of the man and the guy after him will go

This is insane FUCK! He would kill RVD and break his legs, the fuck wil Mr. Monday Night do then huh?!

It might be me, if I have had a few drinks

Right after a Gelgarin post where Gelgs will explain the greatness of the man and the guy after him will go

This is insane FUCK! He would kill RVD and break his legs, the fuck wil Mr. Monday Night do then huh?!

It might be me, if I have had a few drinks

Be honest...That's far too many words, and too well thought out, for that to be a post you make in the tournament.

Be honest...That's far too many words, and too well thought out, for that to be a post you make in the tournament.

You'd be surprised at what suspension of disbelief does to a man.

Grown ass men debating on the forums about their favorite wrestler is strangely therapeutic.

I plan to vote for Van Dam. But, sadly, I feel like it parallels my vote for Bernie. It's the right thing to do, but people won't do it, because they don't think he has a chance.
I'm getting off the RVD train right here. I have zero interest in being associated with something this stupid.

Have fun, everyone.

Shocky created this tournament right? I was looking through old tournaments in light of the Benoit stuff to see if he said anything about voting criteria. I found this:
The Voting Process: This is the most subjective part of the entire tournament. How should I vote? Honestly, I'm not here to tell you how to vote. What determines a great wrestler to one person determines a boring wrestler for another. Whatever voting credentials you come up with will suffice. Keep in mind, Voting is public, and if you vote, and don't participate in debates, you maybe called out on it. Don't take it personally, instead go after the person that is calling you out.

However, I would encourage to not vote because you hate a certain wrestler less then another wrestler. Also, I would encourage not voting if you don't know a wrestler in a specific match. These tournaments are designed to bring out names that most may never heard of, and shed light onto their history. If you see a name you aren't familiar with, perhaps do a little research and you may like what you find.

And I was surprised to find him, a few lines below, directly addressing the consideration of a wrestler's private life in the voting process:
The Chris Benoit Rule: Yes, it's the ugly little thing that wrestling fans are on one side of the fence or the other, Chris Benoit. This tournament is about wrestling, and the person in questions professional life, not their private life. Bringing up the Benoit Murders, the Hogan Family Circus, Steve Austin beating his wife, or anything really not relating to wrestling will get you an infraction, and eventually a banning from participation in the tournament. Try to keep the real life affairs out. If you find you can't vote for someone based on their real life issues, simply don't vote and stay away from matches those people are involved in.
Interesting.

Shocky created this tournament right? I was looking through old tournaments in light of the Benoit stuff to see if he said anything about voting criteria. I found this:

And I was surprised to find him, a few lines below, directly addressing the consideration of a wrestler's private life in the voting process:

Interesting.

Yeah, but the Yazcake rule says that you can post all irrelevant shit as long as it's entertaining enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back