• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What Is Holding Shelton Benjamin Down??

Shelton simply needs to be able to connect with the crowd, that's all he needs, it's not up to the booking to get him over at this point, it's up to him, they've tried, he failed because he didn't connect with them.

I say put him in a tag team with someone who does have charisma, a more veteran guy, and have him learn from the guy and eventually break off. Teaming him with Charlie Haas won't do anything because neither has charisma.

Team him with a veteran charisma guy, or a charisma guy in general, and see what happens, see if he improves.

Just be patient, he's now in ECW and I see him winning the world title in the future. He's a great athlete and it hurts to see WWE wasting a talent like Shelton Benjamin. He's one of few wrestlers in the WWE that can actually wrestle. Also Benjamin has been in the WWE since 2002, thats 6 six years and yet he isn't getting a major push anymore. the WGTT was good back then but that team is now dead and had no heel reaction.

Benjamin is soon going to win that ECW title. Currently Chavo has it, CM punk will win it back and then Shelton will win it from CM Punk.

Wasting? They're not wasting him, who gives a shit if he can wrestle, nobody in the WWE I can tell you that because in ring ability doesn't matter in the WWE, look at who they push for crying out loud.

In the WWE, it's about getting over, they pushed him, he didn't get over, end of story, there's no special treatment simply because he's a great athlete and puts on good matches.

He'll never win a world title if he doesn't connect with the fans. I am patient, I'm sure eventually he'll find his connection with the fans, but until then he'll just be a midcarder put on shows to have an athletic match.

Bottom line is that they've pushed him and he didn't get over enough for a world title. Seperate opinion from logic, would I like to see more Shelton, yes, would it make business sense for WWE to push a guy that gets no reaction? No, it wouldn't, that's all you need to know if you're a WWE exec or writer, does the guy sell, and Shelton doesn't, which is why he's not getting this supposed "deserved" push.

Honestly, Its ECW? There champion over there is Chavo and its not like ECW gets a lot of views/ratings. It wouldn't hurt to have Shelton have the belt. They need to try something new with them, what's the point of bring him to ECW? To have a feud with there low-card wrestlers? Come on. If WWE sent him to ECW there should be something behind it. Maybe start a tag team with Elijah Burke or go for the ECW title. They need to try something new with Shelton because they've been doing the same thing with him for 3-4 years.

Yea, he can win the ECW title, that's not a "world title" though, but giving him a belt won't make the fans cheer him, he'll still get no reaction unless he learns to connect.

Hell, they could put every single title on him and unless he had a connection with the fans, it wouldn't matter, ratings and attendance would go down and he'd be a failure, trust me, just because you like him doesn't mean that you REALLY want him to get pushed as a world champ, I'd rather see him get over first, and earn his spot beyond just putting on great matches (which doesn't matter in the WWE as much as other aspects he certainly doesn't have).

They have tried different things with him, tag team, arrogant black guy, changed his hair to gold and made his focus on the gold, young guy who upsets people, they've tried a lot, it just seems all the same because he made it that way, he didn't embody any of the characters, he just seemed like an average guy with a lot of athleticism.

You bring up good points and I agree with you. Okay, I'm sorry, Shelton isn't "World Title" material but he can certianley win that ECW title and if the WWE doesn't use him like they did when he was IC champion than it could really work out and turn ECW to something good. Now i'm not saying give Shelton the ECW title all of a sudden. Put him in a stable so he can get heel reaction, than eventually win the title.

The gimmicks you've mentioned with Shelton all sucked lol. Thats why i'm saying put him in a stable or give him a manager. If a AWFUL and Boring wrestler liek Big Daddy V gets a push than why can't Shelton? Big Daddy V is awful in the ring and isn't the best on the mic. But he has a manger than gets him a heel reaction. Also if Great Khali won the WHC why can't Benjamin win the ECW title? Khali is awful in the ring and than again...he has a manger that gives him a heel reaction.

So they should give Benjamin a manager or put him in a tag team. I'd really like to see an Elijah Burke-Shelton Benjamin tag team. That could really help the WWE and ECW out.

Big Daddy V has it easier because he's huge, he doesn't have to talk because it's not in his character to talk, and in ring skill means nothing, Big Daddy V just has to be mean and nasty and it's believable, also, V isn't getting THAT much of a push, but he is getting a reaction of sorts.

See, Khali and V are totally different than Benjamin, when you're a handsome (I guess) athletic guy, you HAVE to talk, letting someone else talk for you if you are that guy makes not sense because you look like you'd be a talker, image is everything, Khali is supposed to be a foreign monster, that's why he doesn't talk, V is supposed to be a mean monster, that's why he doesn't talk.

That's why I think that Shelton should have a tag partner with charisma, he can LEARN and not have a guy as just a substitute for his lack of mic skills. Also, if he has a tag partner it kind of blends with his character and doesn't make him seem so helpless on the mic, an extension of Shelton's character (whatever that may be) instead of someone else doing the work for him.

Yea, the ECW title would work, but why use it? Why does he need a title? To reward him for his in ring work? I say worry about getting him over first, any means necessary, then put gold on him, titles mean less than ever now, the ECW title really means nothing unless it's part of the character like Punk who's character was to love competition and be against drugs.

Shelton's character is sort of like one who loves gold and titles, so him winning the ECW title in that respect is going to work. But I think trying to send him on his own is a mistake, he needs someone to learn from, maybe a pairing with a good mic worker in a feud instead of a tag partner. Either way I think that Shelton needs someone to learn from, a stable might work, but it's too cliche for me, especially if it's an all black guy stable. I always hear "they should put MVP, Elijah, and Shelton in a stable" why? Because they're all black?

Here's what I'd do, have Shelton go on a loosing streak when he's in it for the title, regardless of his gimmick being he loves titles. Have a charismatic babyface come to ECW, shit, it could be Scotty 2 Hotty for all I care, just an experienced guy who relies on charisma, they have fun and win matches, but still no belts, once Shelton has learned to connect with the fans, he turns on the guy, saying "this shit ain't getting me nowhere either" and there's a small feud with that guy, then new Shelton, now heel and charismatic, gets the push.

The whole Shelton Benjamin-Elijah Burke stable was my idea too. I really think that would work out. As for MVP, he's just a good singles guy and he's more of Smackdown material. ECW just isn't him...

So I say have a Elijah Burke-Benjamin stable. It could really work out, Elijah Burke is actually a very good wrestler and so is Benjamin. If both of them are given the right manager they could turn into a very successful Tag Team.

P.S: Scotty 2 Hotty isn't with the WWE anymore.

Here's what I'd do, have Shelton go on a loosing streak when he's in it for the title, regardless of his gimmick being he loves titles. Have a charismatic babyface come to ECW, shit, it could be Scotty 2 Hotty for all I care, just an experienced guy who relies on charisma, they have fun and win matches, but still no belts, once Shelton has learned to connect with the fans, he turns on the guy, saying "this shit ain't getting me nowhere either" and there's a small feud with that guy, then new Shelton, now heel and charismatic, gets the push.

Shelton has already jobbed out way too much over the last year to go on another loosing streak. It would only further destroy the very little credibility he has left. I think a team, or stable with a charismatic heel, with Shelton realizing the error of his ways and turning into a stand up guy face is pretty much his only option. I dont think you can really teach someone charisma, its just something you HAVE, which is why charismatic guys get pushed faster, becuase you can be TAUGHT to wrestle better (see Mr.Kennedy for proof of this). Its easier to get less well chractered less charasmatic guys over as faces, you NEED charisma and "people" skills to be a heel (unless you are Big V or Kahli as has already been stated) you dont absolutely NEED these things as a face (see Bobby Lashley).

Lashley got over because he was huge and muscular and WWE fans think that means something, believe it or not, they aren't impressed with "good" matches or athleticism.

Who cares if he goes on another losing streak, no one cares about him or ECW, it's just to set up the storyline.

You can be taught charisma, look at Bret Hart and Batista and Orton. It's something everyone has in them, they just have to open up and know how to use it.

I wasn't saying an Elijah/Benjamin tag wouldn't be cool, coz that's only 2 black guys, but when you have 3-5, it looks real cliche and contrived.

Also, I said S2H as an example, see, when I say "the right person" I give examples, I don't say "when given the right manager" or "if pushed right" then just leave it as that because that makes it seem like you don't know what to do and it's a cop-out. Please, actually say who would be good. I said any more veteran guy with charisma would be good, WWE could easily hire S2H, he wouldn't be the best choice, if I have to think about it, I think that maybe a guy like Santino or Carlito would be better.

Yes, you do need charisma to be a face, you need charisma to be in the WWE. See, charisma isn't just mic skills, it's a physical presense, a big muscular body is physical charisma. Look at a guy like Bryan Danielson, 5'9" 185 pounds, pale, not real muscular, he has zero physical charisma, look at Lashley, 6'3" 275, ripped, he has physical charisma, and in the WWE, that'll get you a long way, Shelton doesn't have physical charisma because he doesn't stand out physically except for his athleticism, but WWE fans don't care about that, they expect smaller guys to jump and fly around more, they just seem more impressed by big bodies.

It's like my car analogy, it's easier to go 60-100 in a car than it is to go 0-100 in a car, Lashley started out at 60 because of his body, so it was easier for him to get to 100 (over) Shelton is starting at 0 because he doesn't stand out, unless you just happen to flip to the channel at the instant he's leaping to the top, nothing about him says "HOLY SHIT WHAT'S GOING ON HERE" like seeing an enormous muscular dude. At least that's the WWE theory.

Yea ive never really been a huge fan of the whole MVP Shelton Burke thing. Fuck, why dont we just throw Henry and Big V in there and have a new nation of domination. Thats actually the only plausable way I could see it working lol. Carlito and Santino with him would almost be the same thing, given they are all minorities. True he doesnt have the physical prowess of Bobby Lashley. but I still belive it takes more charisma and acting skills to carry off a heel than a face. resally what they NEED to do, is the things they used to do in the attitude era, and let shelton be shelton, just with the volume turned up. whatever kind of dude shelton is, thats how it should be, just imbelished for the camera of course.

Yea, but who's to say that Shelton is being Shelton and he's just a boring person? Or that at some point they did that and it didn't work? Maybe he's just camera shy about somethings and doesn't fully let himself out, there are so many other things that go into this.

Also, I meant Carlito OR Santino, not both, that WOULD be the same thing.

Well, actually, Kofi Kingston needs credibility, and Shelton needs a charisma partner, people seem to love it when black guys ban together (or else they wouldn't suggest it so damn much) how about teaming them up?

I say make them a fun loving team like I had suggested, but they eventually get nowhere, split when Shelton finds his character, and then push Shelton.

Those two would actually put on some superbly entertaining matches together, as rivals and as teamates. Itd be a good idea, becuase the whole tag division and how its set up is fuckin dumb. Morrison and Miz...well Morrison at least, could be filling a MUCH bigger role right now. Tag Shelton and Kingston up give them the belts, and let them run with it. I just dont think it would happen, simply becuase two fun loving athletic black dudes as a team just kinda seems like it would look like it had some underlying stereotypicalness and racism to it. As weird as it sounds, the only way they can do two black guys as a team without it seeming racist is to have them either be heel, or have them be outright blatantly racist/black militant as crazy as it sounds lol.

I get what your saying on the let shelton be shelton thing, im jus saying do it, but turn the volume up. pick something that is somewhat interesting about his character, whether it be cockiness, confidence, Intensity, whatever, and enhance it, embelish it. Im not sure how else they could get him over really. I would say I wished he had MVPs gimmick before MVP came along, but I love MVP, so I cant lol.

At the college I go to, there are two black guys who are on the football team and they're hilarious, but when they play football, it's game on, I was thinking something along those lines.

Also, Kofi is caribean or some shit, so it wouldn't quite be two black guys I guess, maybe he's Jamaican, dunno if that's black or not.

Either way, I think it'd be good for both since both need what the other has.

I think Shelton will end up like Benoit (not THAT far) but in the way that he puts on solid matches throughout his whole career and by the end he's over simply because the crowd respects him.

I dont get why Shelton is feuding with Kane at the moment. I guess they dont have anyone for them to feud with & vince said have the two of them wrestle. If they're going to feud I think they should turn Kane heel & shelton face somehow in their feud because it's much easier for a face to get over & kane is better as a heel & shelton would have a better chance of getting over as a face & if he moves to smackdown he can feud with MVP for the US title or team him up Kofi kingston or Burke & feud with the tag team champions

If they WERE to do the whole black guys teamed up thing I will tell you what they NEED to do. Find a big Black guy...not like Henry or Big V huge, but big, power guy, maybe bring Shad back? And make something along the lines of a harlem heat. THAT would be fuckin SICK. Just let them be pissed, and hard as fuck. Whomever, plays the muscular stevie ray role, and Shelton plays the booker T role. but dont make them cheat too much and dont bokk them to look weak and cowardly (which WWE seems to think is the ONLY way to book heels every damn match every damn weel) so that they would be somewhat tweeners. The gimmick is "cool", they could get over with it.

O god I hate how WWE books heels, how many fucking handicap matches have there been in the last year? How many of them have the goddman face DOMINATING the match. Sure, the heel isn't supposed to be likeable, but shit, he has to be a threat, there's no appeal in a face who can beat all the heels easily.

I kind of like the Harlem Heat idea, but with Shelton, they've already exposed his past, so no one will really see him as a hood hard black dude.

Shad and OGTPD or whatever the fuck his name was, was like a modern Harlem Heat I guess only not as serious.

My idea of the "black athlete" type of guy I think would be alright, think like TO and Chad Johnson on the same tag team.

O god I hate how WWE books heels, how many fucking handicap matches have there been in the last year? How many of them have the goddman face DOMINATING the match. Sure, the heel isn't supposed to be likeable, but shit, he has to be a threat, there's no appeal in a face who can beat all the heels easily.

I kind of like the Harlem Heat idea, but with Shelton, they've already exposed his past, so no one will really see him as a hood hard black dude.

Shad and OGTPD or whatever the fuck his name was, was like a modern Harlem Heat I guess only not as serious.

My idea of the "black athlete" type of guy I think would be alright, think like TO and Chad Johnson on the same tag team.

yea the way the book heels is shit. Back in the day the focus was one cheating to win, not just being an all around pussy ass bitch. all the heels always run and cower all the fuckin time, is disgusting, and makes it almost impossible for any heel to ever build any momentum. Even Edge, the best heel they have, and Orton the top heel, both resort not to cheating, but running like a bitch and saving themselves. MVP is NOT the kind of heel that should run from people. Neither is Edge, or Shelton for that matter. But thats how they are all booked.

Well, all they ever revealed about sheltons past is that he was a really good athlete, and he got a scholorship. Doesnt mean he wasnt from the hood...but really, its hard to seel that type of gimmick if its not straight outta developmental with it, so your idea would probably work better, with a face team.

Cryme Tyme was crazy over, and decent in ring, they just never used them for whatever reason, which is still very very confusing to me, especially when they had an EASY built in feud between them and Cade and Murdoch(rednecks Vs Hoods) shows how much they give a fuck about the tag division

Yea, Cade and Murdoch and Cryme Tyme had so much potential as character driven teams, for a while I thought they actually gave a shit about their tag division, but nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back