This Needs to Be Addressed

I don't feel as though I stifle criticism of any kind personally. I don't think anyone has come to me and been critical in the last few months and I would argue that I am very approachable. I agree that there needs to be more communication if people are unhappy. But if that is the case, the tools are there for those people to raise the criticism. At the end of the day, you're right. How do we know we're doing something wrong if no one tells us. But then, like I said, we haven't stifled those people if they do it in the proper ways.

I tend to look at you and Showtime as sort of the conscience of the fed, and I agree that I wouldn't accuse you of that specific criticism.

Here's where Pancake isn't wrong, although I'm going to write a windy, tl;dr version of this in a bit; if you do criticize, it appears as though you don't last long in the fed, for whatever reason, after you give criticism. And, while I understand the dangers of correlation and causation, that trend can be frightening, for people.

Infinity, Jglass, and Doctor; all people who are talented writers, all who I felt had very valid criticisms of the fed, who wound up leaving after the airing of the grievances. No one told them they couldn't be there, but at least to some part, those posters felt they weren't welcome in the fed, and we lost some damn good writers, as a result. There's plenty more... But indulge me in my tl:dr version, when I'm off a mobile.

Here's my question. If I told you the reason the show is delayed is because of me, why the fuck are you in here blaming Dynamite? Are you dense?

Sid. Anyone remember him?

Well as you might know, he and I went at it a few times. I was a G-Mod at the time and he was a regular mod. Sid really didn't like the concept of G-Mods and would go out of his way to rip on them (well mainly me) whenever he could. At one point he criticized the idea of the G-Mod Board Room because we didn't need one.

My response to him would be the same thing that I'd say to Pancake here:

"Are you in there at the moment? Then you have no idea how things go."

I tend to look at you and Showtime as sort of the conscience of the fed, and I agree that I wouldn't accuse you of that specific criticism.

Here's where Pancake isn't wrong, although I'm going to write a windy, tl;dr version of this in a bit; if you do criticize, it appears as though you don't last long in the fed, for whatever reason, after you give criticism. And, while I understand the dangers of correlation and causation, that trend can be frightening, for people.

Infinity, Jglass, and Doctor; all people who are talented writers, all who I felt had very valid criticisms of the fed, who wound up leaving after the airing of the grievances. No one told them they couldn't be there, but at least to some part, those posters felt they weren't welcome in the fed, and we lost some damn good writers, as a result. There's plenty more... But indulge me in my tl:dr version, when I'm off a mobile.

I agree, but I bought up creative members hogging the world title shots and the title and action was taken, I dont know what it looks like now, but effort was made for a brief time.

Here's my question. If I told you the reason the show is delayed is because of me, why the fuck are you in here blaming Dynamite? Are you dense?

Because no one cares about a late show. We are used to it. You have lives as well

Yay, someone mentioned my name!

Also, you can add Coco to that list. I know he wasn't a piece of cake to deal with a lot of the time, but the exact same thing happened to him.

On the topic of the role of (constructive) criticism in WZCW: I think the reason it can be so jarring for a lot of people is because writing is a very personal thing. You put yourself out there when you share your writing with the world, allowing others to see into your mind and allowing them to draw conclusions about your intellect, personality, etc. When someone criticizes writing, they are, in a way, criticizing the writer as an individual. Of course, the constructive criticizer doesn't mean anything personal against the writer, but for a lot of writers it's hard to remember that. Couple that with the fact that there is a shadowy organization of people judging your writing and if they consider your writing to be inferior to someone else's writing they deem you to be a loser for the week, and it makes taking constructive criticism all the more difficult to take in stride.

Edit: I had some other criticisms for Pancake here, but after rereading the initial post, I changed my mind. He's pretty justified in being pissed. Good on ya, kid.

In less angry language, I'd wonder the same thing. I mean, we have no reason to think it was Dynamite, do we? Based on what we know, it seems as though real life has come before the fed, and that happens. I remember when Shotaro had a bit of an issue in real life. No one would have begrudged him, and I don't seem to remember doing so.

Sid. Anyone remember him?

Well as you might know, he and I went at it a few times. I was a G-Mod at the time and he was a regular mod. Sid really didn't like the concept of G-Mods and would go out of his way to rip on them (well mainly me) whenever he could. At one point he criticized the idea of the G-Mod Board Room because we didn't need one.

My response to him would be the same thing that I'd say to Pancake here:

"Are you in there at the moment? Then you have no idea how things go."

To be fair, Pancake has been there before. So it isn't like he doesn't know how the back room goes.

There are many times when members of the fed don't know exactly what's going on in the back (admittedly, part of me problem), but Pancake does know happens here

Also, you can add Coco to that list. I know he wasn't a piece of cake to deal with a lot of the time, but the exact same thing happened to him.

On the topic of the role of (constructive) criticism in WZCW: I think the reason it can be so jarring for a lot of people is because writing is a very personal thing. You put yourself out there when you share your writing with the world, allowing others to see into your mind and allowing them to draw conclusions about your intellect, personality, etc. When someone criticizes writing, they are, in a way, criticizing the writer as an individual. Of course, the constructive criticizer doesn't mean anything personal against the writer, but for a lot of writers it's hard to remember that. Couple that with the fact that there is a shadowy organization of people judging your writing and if they consider your writing to be inferior to someone else's writing they deem you to be a loser for the week, and it makes taking constructive criticism all the more difficult to take in stride.

Edit: I had some other criticisms for Pancake here, but after rereading the initial post, I changed my mind. He's pretty justified in being pissed. Good on ya, kid.
I'm sorry, but how does this relate to Pancake asking about a delayed show and blaming Dynamite with an insult after I ordered both not to do that? And then him coming here to further push the issue after I told him the one at fault is me?

To be fair, Pancake has been there before. So it isn't like he doesn't know how the back room goes.

There are many times when members of the fed don't know exactly what's going on in the back (admittedly, part of me problem), but Pancake does know happens here

He knows what's happened there in the past. You know full well that things change very, very quickly in there.

I fully understand where you are coming from but that is the nature of the beast. You were on Creative for a time, I don't think of it as shadowy in the slightest and i assume that you didn't think that when you served. We have a job and we do it to the best of our ability.

I'm sorry, but how does this relate to Pancake asking about a delayed show and blaming Dynamite with an insult after I ordered both not to do that? And then him coming here to further push the issue after I told him the one at fault is me?

I was just discussing the nature of criticism. I suppose I should have added that it applies to people working in creative too, but whatever, I'm kind of just along for the ride on this one. Should be fun.

I fully understand where you are coming from but that is the nature of the beast. You were on Creative for a time, I don't think of it as shadowy in the slightest and i assume that you didn't think that when you served. We have a job and we do it to the best of our ability.

It's up to creative on how shadowy it wants to be. When I was on creative we reached out o the writers a lot, made them very involved in the process. I don't know what it's like now, so I can't speak to that, but I would hope that that tradition continues. Transparency puts people at ease.

It's up to creative on how shadowy it wants to be. When I was on creative we reached out o the writers a lot, made them very involved in the process. I don't know what it's like now, so I can't speak to that, but I would hope that that tradition continues. Transparency puts people at ease.

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=287707

Like I pointed out earlier, I am quite approachable and genuinely want people to feel involved. This thread has been around for a while but no one wants to use it. If I were as bothered as you are making people out to be, surely using a thread like this would be a good idea. Plus, there is a show feedback thread that never gets used in addition to an ask a creative member a question that is also idle.

There's no excuse.

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=287707

Like I pointed out earlier, I am quite approachable and genuinely want people to feel involved. This thread has been around for a while but no one wants to use it. If I were as bothered as you are making people out to be, surely using a thread like this would be a good idea. Plus, there is a show feedback thread that never gets used in addition to an ask a creative member a question that is also idle.

There's no excuse.

Dude, that's from January.

I suppose I misspoke when I called creative shadowy. What I was referring to is that the voting process is often a mystery and is rarely explained which can (and has) lead to hurt feelings.

My point exactly. No one seems interested in their own development, like you and Doc were. Also, I often thought that we should attach how many votes each person got in the credits. Maybe it'll happen. We'll see.

Also, I often thought that we should attach how many votes each person got in the credits. Maybe it'll happen. We'll see.

That should be available by PM'ing creative instead. If someone worked extremely hard on an RP but then lost, it might lessen the blow to not know the votes for that round. Seeing that they got zero votes and lost on an RP they dedicated a lot of time to writing could make it worse. On the other side of that same coin, that way those who do want their vote count could get it PM'ed to them. A happy medium that would get both sides essentially what they want as far as vote results.

That should be available by PM'ing creative instead. If someone worked extremely hard on an RP but then lost, it might lessen the blow to not know the votes for that round. Seeing that they got zero votes and lost on an RP they dedicated a lot of time to writing could make it worse. On the other side of that same coin, that way those who do want their vote count could get it PM'ed to them. A happy medium that would get both sides essentially what they want as far as vote results.

I don't think anyone on Creative would have any issue explaining how and why they voted if someone was curious. There was one PPV recently, I'm brain-farting on which one but it was where I won the Elite X, where almost every single match had a one vote difference. I don't know if it happened, but we seriously discussed putting the votes at the end of that one.

So, here goes, guys....

You're all right, and you're all wrong: A brief dissection of the weird crazy, family like subculture that is WZCW, and why we can't fucking stand each other, sometimes.

First and foremost: A disclaimer. I've just recently started to get very involved in the fed. Yes, I did bring in the Eternal Question some months ago, but I didn't have the dedication with TEQ. Partially because, while I could win with him, I didn't have fun writing the character. So, a lot of my aimless ramblings are going to probably involve my first stint in the fed, and my first stint on creative. I'm not as up to date as to the recent goings on in the fed, and there's about a good chunk of year, in which I spent in isolation away from the fed. That's only fair to mention.

Second thing I want to mention: I'm addressing all of Pancake's points, not simply the issue of late shows. Frankly, I never really cared if the shows were late... Wasn't my place to care, even if I was on creative. Actually, I should be completely honest... I use to care. In fact, I remember one time where I bitched out everyone on creative, because we hadn't even gotten our votes in after like four or five days (Yaz or Killjoy, am I remembering correctly?). Harthan, Creative Head at the time, PM'ed me with some actually really good advice, and I apologized for pretty much shouting at everyone. But eventually, I learned that the shows arrival dates, while reasonable to care about, don't seem to be Pancake's major issue. I don't think that's even what he wanted to be the major issue, and I don't see his post as a direct attack on Dynamite. It did, at times, attack Dynamite, but I see it more as a take on creative, and the nature of creative. It's wrong to blame Dynamite for the lateness in shows, but I don't believe that is what Pancake is blaming Dynamite for. Now, I don't necessarily know if he's blaming Dynamite for all the right things. As I told him in a PM, he isn't wrong in what he feels, but what he's been feeling has been as much a part of creative as writing matches and selecting winners. In turn, I do feel like Pancake's issue with Dynamite is a larger issue, that we should address.

Third thing to mention; This issue is something I get really bothered about. It's the same issue that, as I've alluded to earlier, has driven the likes of Jglass, Infinity, Lee (though he has returned), Coco, Gelgarin, Doctor, (I could go on, but I'll spare you all) away from the fed. Which, in turn, I've made it known in no explicit terms, at least in the creative room, that I was very upset when these writers left. I'm still very upset about the departure of these writers, and that probably adds a bias to my writing. I feel like I should mention that now, and place that as another caveat. Not just because these writers are my friends (which, they are), but because losing writers like the aforementioned really does weaken the fed, as a whole.

Anyway, allow me to say where everyone is right to feel the way they do.

How Creative is right: The late shows aren't Dynamite's fault. Period, point blank. They aren't Dave's fault, they aren't Yaz' fault, they aren't anyone's fault.

I want to put this in annoying bold, again. It's no one's fault that the shows are late. No. Ones.

I really wish we would stop this scenario where a creative member feels the obligation to apologize for real life taking precedence. I mean, the members of creative are just as passionate as anyone else. You really think they want to delay these shows? I will say, with 100% certainty, that creative doesn't actively look to delay the shows. Dave is going through something rather personal at the moment; it's his prerogative to place the very real tragedy he's going through at the top of his importance, and I don't think he owes it to explain that to everyone. I remember working on six man rotation, because Shotaro had some real life things he needed to handle. Admittedly, I bitched about doing his stuff, but I never begrudged Shotaro, and I'd like to believe we all didn't. I more begrudged the nature of the beast, and that we couldn't find someone to help with Shotaro's stuff. But a member of creative dealing with real life personal issues does take precedence, as it should. When a member of creative has to step away, it's the nature of the beast. And while I have an idea to help that person, It may not prove beneficial to share this idea just yet.

Anyway, there's no reason to blame creative, when real personal matters occur, and I don't see the reason why creative should have to share exactly who's at fault, per se. Always felt that a little weird.

That said, I don't think that was Pancake's main point. I feel like there's larger issues at hand, which I think was what he would rather have us talking about.

Where Pancake's right: There is, to some extent, a feeling that criticizing creative will not result in anything good, for anyone. And that shouldn't be; we all need constructive criticism. But I have noticed that, in the past, providing constructive criticism does tend to lead to the person that gave criticism leaving the fed. For whatever the reason, whenever that person offers criticism, in the past, it has led to, instead of mutually beneficial results, the person who gave criticism leaving.

Allow me to herald back to some pretty dark days:

Unscripted 2014

I think somewhere right now, Yaz, Killjoy, Pancake, and I all just rolled our fucking eyes out of socket.

Anyway, Unscripted 2014. First, a bit of personal story; I was so fucking pissed at that pay per view. I was pissed, personally, because The Beard got voted to lose a match against Drake Callahan, who was leaving the fucking fed, and for all intents purposes, had nothing to gain from beating the King for a Day briefcase. I got so pissed, that I demanded a result which saw Dr. Zeus get pinned, instead of The Beard, because it made no fucking sense for The Beard to lose, at all. Killjoy, being a saint, placated my tempter tantrum, and wrote a really creative finish to the match. So yeah, I speak from a very dark place about this PPV. But, I kept my trap shut, because we had bigger issues.

JGlass, after reading the PPV, got pissed, and shot away. And, full disclosure, I voted for Jglass to win his Heavyweight Title Hell in a Cell match against Ricky Runn, Vega, and Triple X (I wouldn't be surprised to hear that we lost Triple X as a result of that match, either). And, JGlass made some very insightful points.

The ironic thing, to all of this, is that this would be the start of the Pancake-JGlass beef, and Pancake's post does echo a lot of the criticisms of creative that JGlass had. Essentially, that criticizing creative is very difficult, and that instead of actually internalizing this, instead held resentment and bitterness towards the writer. Incidentally enough, Vega would echo those sentiments.

JGlass would never appear in the fed again. Vega would leave one month after, when I had to really push for a feud with him and Theron Daggershield. Anyone would tell you that's a major blow to the fed, when you lose two very talented writers.

Did they leave because creative pushed them out? Not necessarily, and certainly not intentionally. I know the people on creative, and they care so much about this fed. They realize that it wouldn't be smart to lose these talented writers, and they're all extremely nice guys. I look at them like brothers; Yaz, probably more than anyone, knows what led to my departure, and really went out of his way to bring me back. Killjoy, Dave, Dynamite, all welcomed me back with open arms. These aren't petty people, and I doubt that they would actively try to kick out people from the fed. That's not who they are, and I don't believe that they would intentionally make someone feel unwelcome.

However, for whatever reason, the above writers felt that they weren't being heard, and felt they had no other recourse. And, frankly, they aren't the first. Coco, Lee...I have no proof of it, but I could name others who I believe left the fed, because they got frustrated. And I can tell you why they were getting frustrated.

Where Pancake's right: There should be a bit more transparency in the actual voting process, and how we can improve as writers. This one, frankly, just means that we could all use feedback. We could stand to know how to get better as writers, and how to write better RP's.

However

Where Creative is right: There's just not enough time in the day. Look guys, this would be a great little world if creative had all of the time to people why they won and lost. Unfortunately, well, with writing shows and their own characters, there just isn't enough time. I promise you, Creative doesn't like to be seen as shadowy figures, and sometimes, it's really hard to give everyone feedback. But I do feel like if everyone got feedback for their writing, we'd all be much happier.

But Haiku, didn't you just say that was impossible?

I did.

Wow, you just wrote all of this, just to reach this point? You spent all this time, to come to this conclusion?

Well....

Fucking really?

I mean...

Jesus, get a fucking life!

There is a better way, numbnuts!

...Ok, how so?

Right, so. As currently constructed, it would be impossible to do. I mean, it just wouldn't work, giving everyone feedback right now, with the current structure in place. But that doesn't mean we can't change the structure, at all.

So here's what I'm proposing:

A. Add an eighth member of creative.

Yaz, put away that shotgun! Please, hear me out, first.

So, if you add another member to creative, to do just segments, it really cuts down the ancillary work that will help other members of creative focus on more important matters, like the actual matches. Let the eighth guy focus on segments, like the opener and closer, and other interviews. Essentially, the guy goes part time.

B. That eighth member, during the week of show building, offers feedback.

With a member of creative spacing out time among the week, you could have said member write feedback every day, for different RP's, leading up to the shows. Meaning, if the deadline is Friday, that eighth member of creative can write feedback for the fed, in one weeks time, to let people know what they liked or disliked. That way, there's more transparency to the voting process, and the writers can know how to improve their writing, making for an all around happier fed. That eighth member wouldn't get a vote, but would be able to note the reasons why certain writers won and lost. They can offer insight from the members of creative, and really help that dryspell of a week between writers turning in their RP, and waiting for shows.

And, in turn, the eighth member could be called upon to break ties. And, if I may be so bold...I'd volunteer for the position. I love offering feedback, and I know the inner knowings of creative already. I was always at my happiest helping other writers. Maybe I could also bring back my Symposium ideas.

There still is some logistics to break down with this proposed idea, but I really feel this could benefit the fed, and allow for transparency between creative and the members of the fed.

After all, as JGlass himself pointed out... It isn't us that write the shows for the fed members. It's all of us, working together, to make the best possible show.

Ok, someone not on creative and not Pancake summarize this for me in a few sentences.

Go.

Pancake feels there's a double standard, in not having creative held accountable for late shows, and for a lack of transparency in the actual workings of the show.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure how Dynamite doesn't fit in. But in all fairness, there's been past heat before.

Pancake feels there's a double standard, in not having creative held accountable for late shows, and for a lack of transparency in the actual workings of the show.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure how Dynamite doesn't fit in. But in all fairness, there's been past heat before.

To anyone: how common of a problem is lateness of shows under this creative team and under Yaz in general? How late are we talking on average?

Also what do you/he mean by transparency of the actual workings of the show?

So, if you add another member to creative, to do just segments, it really cuts down the ancillary work that will help other members of creative focus on more important matters, like the actual matches. Let the eighth guy focus on segments, like the opener and closer, and other interviews. Essentially, the guy goes part time.

With a member of creative spacing out time among the week, you could have said member write feedback every day, for different RP's, leading up to the shows. Meaning, if the deadline is Friday, that eighth member of creative can write feedback for the fed, in one weeks time, to let people know what they liked or disliked. That way, there's more transparency to the voting process, and the writers can know how to improve their writing, making for an all around happier fed. That eighth member wouldn't get a vote, but would be able to note the reasons why certain writers won and lost. They can offer insight from the members of creative, and really help that dryspell of a week between writers turning in their RP, and waiting for shows.

And, in turn, the eighth member could be called upon to break ties. And, if I may be so bold...I'd volunteer for the position. I love offering feedback, and I know the inner knowings of creative already. I was always at my happiest helping other writers. Maybe I could also bring back my Symposium ideas.

There still is some logistics to break down with this proposed idea, but I really feel this could benefit the fed, and allow for transparency between creative and the members of the fed.

After all, as JGlass himself pointed out... It isn't us that write the shows for the fed members. It's all of us, working together, to make the best possible show.

I already offered this up when i was heading out the door of my last run but wanted to continue helping and got shot down, so there ya go.

I already offered this up when i was heading out the door of my last run but wanted to continue helping and got shot down, so there ya go.

Ty actually would be perfect for this.

As for KB's question, I don't think they've been an issue, in terms of lateness. I might be wrong, but there were just real life issues. The transparency one, I think, is just sort of the nature of the fed. It's not anyone's fault, and....Well, put it this way. Yaz and Killjoy are paying for the sins of the past, I believe. And not their own past

I love this idea and I will throw my name out there as well. I read every RP anyway and the primary reason I turned down an offer to join creative once was that I am admittedly not good at writing matches, while writing segments would not be as difficult for me as long as I was advised in advance of what the segment needed to set up, and I already give feedback to the guys who asked for it in my thread recently. Lastly I am also available to break the ties (disregarding my own match) and would through this be around to bound off ideas with Yaz and the rest without having to do it through PM. Thanks for this great suggestion, Haiku. It's up to creative on what they want to do in the end, but I fully support this for what it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back