Smackdown Champions Discussion Thread

Edge

Edge used two look-alikes to defeat Batista and Undertaker, and steal the World Heavyweight Championship at Armageddon in Pittsburgh on Sunday December 16, 2007.

Predictable or not, glory has returned to the top of the mountain in the form of the Rated R Superstar. In yet another opportunistic move, Edge has become the World Champion for a 2nd time & hopefully this run will last without injuries being the cause of him dropping the belt.

I know that the main idea would be for Taker to take the Championship from him at Mania, but holy crap would it be something for Edge to go into Mania & retain the Championship by beating Taker. Hell, just a random thought.. but W.W.E. does it a lot, what if Edge were to get disqualified. Taker would win, keeping his streak, but Edge wouldn't drop the Championship, thus remaining on top. Something to think about, maybe?

Either way, injuries barring, Smackdown has returned to being the 'A' show to watch with a truly great World Champion at the top of the card. Hopefully this will only mean possibly some match ups against Mysterio, & even a tag team type thing with M.V.P.?

Edge

Edge used two look-alikes to defeat Batista and Undertaker, and steal the World Heavyweight Championship at Armageddon in Pittsburgh on Sunday December 16, 2007.

I am so glad to see Edge win this he is alot better then batista and it will set edge and the undertaker up for the biggest wrestlemania match ever where hopefully edge retains because this is where smackdown will start getting entertaining again thank god.
even how he won it played good with his HEEL character fake edges? wasnt expecting that but it was good.

I am extatic that Edge is the new World Champion, he is one of the best Smackdown has to offer I'd say only second to the Undertaker.

The way I look at it I thought it was a terrific move by the WWE to give Edge the belt, he's one of my favourite superstars (I don't care what little 2 year old Cena fans think) and he is possibly the best heel superstar in WWE today.

The fans truely hate him, alot of my friends at school hate him "he's cheap" "he sucks" "he's a phony champion" but then I say to them "If he is so bad then why do you keep talking about him" and the reason is because he is the baddest most hated guy in WWE he deserves the belt for his heel work, no one else this year has made the same fan impact as Edge has, and for that reason WWE has given him the title.

every wrestler can win matches like that. Since his return he has only beaten Funaki, 1 match and even before that he had a shot at the title.NO this is not the right way.
I would love to see him win the title in a normal match with no clones or distractions,DQ or anythinh like that. Then he would be a good champ but for now he's not! i'm a fan of batista, but if he had to lose his title i prefered taker because he put up a fight against batista!
I hope a handicap match will be made: taken and batista vs edge to punish him!
and when batista gets his rematch there wil be a 3count and everything going like in a normal match!

I'm in two minds about this. Oh, who am I kidding!? I think this is awesome. Not only is my vCash through the freaking roof, but my favourite WWE superstar is now the world heavyweight champion just one month after returning from a serious injury. It just goes to show how much booking love him, and how much the WWE fans love to hate him. Personally, I love to love him and I'm so pleased to see the title away from Batista.

I think Edge will have a good run with the title, lasting until Mania. I always thought I'd enjoy faces chasing Orton for the title, but I was wrong. I know I'll enjoy faces chase Edge for the title, simply because I have done before and now he's got a higher quality of roster to chase after him. Great stuff, and a thumbs up for the SmackDown! booking staff.

I do not like the fact that Edge is the champ because that's stupid to let him win it, when he barely came back. Also a true champion such as John Cena doesn't have to cheat in order to win a match and it didn't matter if his competitor was a huge guy he still faced them and won. I don't care that edge is heel he needs to learn how to be a man and fight his own matches. I know that if he really put his all into the match than he could've had a fair chance of defeating batista and undertaker. I will be looking forward to smackdown these next couple of weeks to see how this unfolds and at the end the true champion will remain

I do not like the fact that Edge is the champ because that's stupid to let him win it, when he barely came back.

I'll only agree that it may be wrong to hand the Championship back to someone, simply because they returned. (such as Chris Jericho) However, Edge "never" lost the Championship to begin with.. so why do you think it was stupid, that he got his rightful rematch? At which point, he did what anyone SHOULD do.. & thats win, by any means acceptable to get the job done?

Also a true champion such as John Cena doesn't have to cheat in order to win a match and it didn't matter if his competitor was a huge guy he still faced them and won.

So, John Cena's victory (as a face) over the Big Show at Wrestlemania 20, which was set-up by Cena clocking Show in the face with his chain.. that was, fair? How about this.. how about when Cena got disqualified against Randy Orton, just because of emotion? Doesn't seem to me like he has the mark of a "stand-up" type of guy.

Better yet, dispite it being an anything goes/Last Man Standing match.. what about Cena using the ropes to choke out Umaga? A "true" Champion is one that can win without using props. If Cena was as good as you say, he should've been fully capable of defeating Umaga, without choking him out. (which, under normal rules, is completely illegal)

I don't care that edge is heel he needs to learn how to be a man and fight his own matches. I know that if he really put his all into the match than he could've had a fair chance of defeating batista and undertaker.

When Edge fought John Cena, to win the W.W.E. Championship.. did he not spear him & win? Yes, he did. He didn't cheat.. he took advantage of a situation. There is a difference. When Edge defeated Undertaker, to win the Championship, did he cheat? No.. did he take advantage of another situation, yes. That makes him smart, not a cheater.

When Edge defeated Batista time after time, after time.. in all those p.p.v. matches.. did Edge cheat? NO.. he won a Cage match, by being the first guy out. he rolled up Batista, & took advantage of a knee injury.

The difference with this.. is Edge is smart. He uses what he has. He doesn't have to fight fairly, to win. A wrestler is suppose to use their brains to win a match. Edge does that, perfectly.

I will be looking forward to smackdown these next couple of weeks to see how this unfolds and at the end the true champion will remain

Well, considering Edge is the current Smackdown World Heavyweight Champion.. I guess you're saying he's the true Champion.. I highly agree.

I'm sorry, but if your trying to compare John Cena to Edge the way your trying to johncenalover, then you seriously need to take a look at history. Will already disected most of it so I'm not going to get into it unless you can try and make the argument a little more sensable. Now for my thoughts on Edge as champ.

Edge by far has been the savior of SD! His obvious oncming feud with the Undertaker is looking to be one of the greatest feuds that we've seen on SD!, and I'll even venture to say the whole WWE in a long time. Both men use mind games to try and get the upperhand on their opponent. Both men are undefeated in a sense... at Wrestlemania. Both men had their title reigns essentially ended due to injury. Edge is probably the best heel champion we've seen in a long time and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him work with the Majors in some kind of Evolution like stable.

I do not like the fact that Edge is the champ because that's stupid to let him win it, when he barely came back. Also a true champion such as John Cena doesn't have to cheat in order to win a match and it didn't matter if his competitor was a huge guy he still faced them and won. I don't care that edge is heel he needs to learn how to be a man and fight his own matches. I know that if he really put his all into the match than he could've had a fair chance of defeating batista and undertaker. I will be looking forward to smackdown these next couple of weeks to see how this unfolds and at the end the true champion will remain

I hope you know that WWE is all planned out, because you are making it look like Edge is the one cheating to win. He's actually not. It's the story writers and Vince that make the decisions on what happens and who it happens to.

As for you comparing John Cena to Edge. LOL. That is the most bull crap thing i have ever heard. Edge is the best wrestler as of now. Of course, Cena does have skills, but Edge can do anything you toss in front of him. Anything from Ladder to TLC to Single to Tag to Hell In A Cell. Cena, on the other hand can only do so much. John Cena has talent. Yes, he does. but not nearly as much as Edge.

Edge deserves his title back, the reason I see it is because he didn't loose the title,as mentioned by TheOneBigWill. And of course, Edge was on a roll before he was injured, I'm pretty sure when John Cena comes back he will get the title as well, because he never lost the title. Edge deserved the title in my opinion and should have at least a title reign until SummerSlam. He needs one long reign. Compared to his last WWE Championship reign where he only held it for like 2-3 months. Edge has the potential to bring in ratings and money for WWE and I think they realize that. Which is the same with Cena, I'm pretty sure some of those writers don't want Cena as Champ, BUT he brings in Money. Which is all Vince is after. Vince owns the company therefore it's up to him.

Although, this is just my opinion so nobody get your panties in a bunch after reading this post.

I do not like the fact that Edge is the champ because that's stupid to let him win it, when he barely came back. Also a true champion such as John Cena doesn't have to cheat in order to win a match and it didn't matter if his competitor was a huge guy he still faced them and won.

Ohh yeah John Cena is a "True Champion" Edge is a Cheap Champion if you havn't noticed WWE is scripted John Cena would never have walked away from that Kahli Match is it was real heck Kahli Would be the WWE Champion if WWE wasn't scripted.

You obviusly are a Cena fan. Were you a Cena fan from day one? when Cena was fueding with the likes of Undertaker and Lesnar were you biost towards to of the greatest pro wrestlers in history just because your sweetie John Cena was fueding with them?

I don't care that edge is heel he needs to learn how to be a man and fight his own matches.

Thats Edges Charactor he is a heel, a scared, fearful heel. Him and the Edge Heads are the perfect example of what you don't like about Edge and I don't see why that stable is the Savior of the WWE's Faction Problem.

I will be looking forward to smackdown these next couple of weeks to see how this unfolds and at the end the true champion will remain

Well expect Rey to loose as he is getting old and will not win at the Rumble as Edge will most likley cheat or just win fair and square and you know why Edge will cheat? Because Edge is the only one on the SmackDown! Roster who deserves The World Heavyweight Title.

Edge will be the champion for a while and i dont have a problem with that, Batista has held the title a lot lately and i think Taker is better without the title. I have no problem with Edge being champion but he was better on Raw because they can do more, Smackdown is considered a family show, so there is less Rated R in Edge, but he is a deserving champion.

Smackdown Current Champions:

WWE Championship: Edge

Edge is a good heel but I really want Edge to turn face and have another top superstar turn heel on smackdown (Undertaker?). I see Undertaker being the next champion. Taker' vs. Edge at Wrestlemania, Taker continues his winning streak and beats Edge. Taker than loses the title to Batista at Summerslam or another big PPV. A superstar I would love to see get a push for the title is Mark Henry or Kane. The superstar I would most want to see having the title is Rey.

United States Champion: MVP

Man MVP is one of my favourite superstars on Smackdown. He makes a great heel and champion. Give the title up to Rey MYsterio or Finlay. Maybe Mark Henry can get out of ECW's crap and go into contention for this title? KAne? Matt Hardy (When he comes back of course). Eventually I see M.Hardy winning the title.

Cruiserweight Champion: Vacated

They should have a cruiserweight open at the next PPV. The title has been vacated for too long now and i'm getting sick of it. Smackdown has great cruiserweights too. Jamie Noble, Jimmy Wang Yang, Shannon Moore, Very underrated-Funaki, and arguably the best cruiserweight of all time-Rey Mysterio. I believe Rey Mysterio is the only cruiserweight to win the Royal Rumble. Hell, Chavo Guerrero will give up that ECW title and maybe he can make a run at the title? You've also get Jesse too. This title needs a new holder. I would love to see Rey Mysterio or Funaki have the title. When is Gregory Helms coming back from injury? He's a big cruiserweight to Smackdown. Anyways I see Noble getting the title.

WWE Tag Team Champions: John Morrision & The Miz

Stupid stable. Stupid team. My wish would be the brothers of destruction winning the title. I see the next champions as Deuce and Domino again.

P.S Only saying Deuce and Domino because I have no idea what other tag teams smackdown has?

I think Edge as WHC is the best move SD could make, he's not only getting himself and his angles over, but he will get the Edgeheads over too and maybe this time after a big star takes a team under their wing, WWE won't ruin it (WGTT anyone?).

MVP needs a few clean victories cos he's looking damn weak, can't remember his last match that he didn't lose or get DQ'd or counted out, come on!

Tag Team: Move London and Kendrick back, they made the division hot, they've done nothing on RAW, why punish them for success, plus a L/K vs Miz and Morrison feud could help the heels out!

as for the cruiserweight belt, unless they're serious about making it mean something they shouldn't bother bringing it back, it'll just make everyone pissed when the next woman or midget or dog wins the belt in a hillarious angle.

mvp has not defended his title for well over 2 monthes last time at armageddon they always talk about they have to defend once each 30 days and when he was tag champs he did not defend it for ages and they wonder how he has kept his title so long new champ please

Never mind people talking about Jeff Hardy having never defended the IC title, he did about 4 times, even if only one of the defenses was memorable (against carlito in a ladder match) he also defended against Orton, Snitsky and Shelton Benjamin.

The US Title is basically non-existent. They make up rules about count outs and how you can get DQ'd just so MVP always retains in a dirty style, whenever he defends the title once every three months.

Ok, JohnCenaLover23

Edge won the title a month after he came back. His excuse was his relationship with the GM of Smackdown and he'd already made a big impact in that month, so time wasn't an issue. Cenas year long title defence is filled with flaws, he only defended it on PPV from what I recall and very few as well. He got himself disqualified and walked away from his match at Unforgiven from supposed ''rage''. Big Man. The Great Khali had his hands at the ropes when he submitted at Judgement Day, he defeated Bobby Lashley and The Great Khali via flukes as they were winning for a majority of the match. He needed ropes to beat Umaga, clearly a normal STF wasn't enough. Then his other defenses were in 4/5 way matches, were you could easily hide and take advantage of an easy opening (which he did at Vengeance by FUing and pinning the semi-retired competitor Mick Foley)

So that leaves two clean title defesnes in those 13 months, Randy Orton and Shawn Michaels. Now I know this is all booked but johncenalover23 didn't consider this in their argument so I'm biting back the same way to prove him/her (likely the latter) how wrong they are about Edge. Edge garners a huge reaction from all, gets alot of boos like intended and also has a cult of fans. Cena is liked by girls who screech at the top of their voice and little boys who are easily moulded but gets a distinct boo which he's clearly not aiming for, you see if a heel gets cheered by some fans it's not considered a big deal however vice versa and the face is failing in general.

Anyway I bet johncenalover23 didn't even watch any Cena matches before he won the WWE title. Scratch that, before mid 2006 or later. No offense, but it's not cool to make an invalid argument against someone like Edge who seems to make progress in each year of his career, something Cena hasn't done in about two years now.

I think Matt Hardy will win the US title from M.V.P., because I think they are letting MVP hold on to the title until Hardy comes back. I wonder why MVP has such a long title run despite not defending the title from week to week. I mean are they (WWE) rewarding MVP for winning the US title from Benoit last year. It just doesn't seem fair to the other talent on Smackdown who could win the title from MVP. Having Mysterio lose to MVP then facing Edge at the Royal Rumble seemed a bit unrealistic, and MVP never challenged Flair at the Royal Rumble for the gold. It makes me wonder about the defeating of Benoit is the reason for the long title reign. Once Hardy is champion, in my opinion, he needs to defend the title more often because it causes suspense.

Yes, we should all be able to guess by now that Hardy will be the next US champ a couple of months after his return (probably week after Mania). MVP has had a long reign with the US title to help build him up as a ME player, and just because there haven't been any other suitable faces or heels that could have held the US title since last May other than MVP himself. MVP beating Benoit for the belt should have nothing to do with why he has held the title for this long. Yes, Benoit was considered a legend by many until his death etc., we all know what happened. Anyway, what talent could have held the title between now and May 2007 other than MVP? Mysterio didn't lose to MVP at Armageddon, he won by count-out. He did lose to him on SD! a few weeks before, but then Rey beat him in a tag match the week after. MVP vs Flair at the Royal Rumble wasn't for the US title because Flair had to win the match, so if he had won the US title he would have had to retire as the US champion. That is, unless he was stripped of the belt after, and another reason their match was non-title was because they had already fought on PPV at Vengeance: Night of Champions for the US title last year. And Matt might end up defending the US title more often than MVP did during his title reign but when you look at SD! roster there still isn't even that much choice of possible challengers for the belt, the only ones I can think of from the top of my head are Chuck Palumbo and maybe his best friend Gregory Helms when he returns later this year.

Right now I think that Shannon Moore and Jimmy Wang Yang is Contenders for the WWE Tag team championships, John Morrison and The Miz are the worst tag team Champions i have ever seen, Like Vicky needs to have a battle royal to see who is going to be the Cruiserweight Belt, I have no problem With The Undertaker Being World Heavyweight Champion, I think that maybe the Big Show should get a shot at the title

I wouldn't say that Shannon Moore and Jimmy Yang are likely to win the tag titles from miz and morrison anymore. I at least thought they had a shot at it a few months ago until it all just suddenly ended after their 15 minutes of fame title match on ecw, which of course ended the obvious (wwe) way, with them retaining via a draw and yang having hit the moonsault at the end just as time ran out (typical wwe bullshit, who wants to see that?). I actually wanted to see yang and moore win the gold. It would have been new and interesting, for once two of wwe's usual jobbers to heavyweights could have been wearing titles, which in their case would probably be the only gold they ever had a chance of possibly wearing, especially with the cruiserweight division being dead and buried after hornswoggle's shit reign as champion. It's unfortunate for the cruiserweights that they won't be able to win anymore gold ever again, except maybe helms and obviously chavo, who just lost the ecw belt to kane. wwe don't know shit about what the fans want. Why the fuck would anyone want to see hornswoggle as cw champion, it completely ruined everything that the title ever meant, but possibly its time in wcw, (not that the title ever really meant that much anyway). It completely shit all over Helms' longest reign as champion, and made him look even worse than he already has looked, after jobbing to heavyweights for what seemed like forever. So, sadly there won't be another cw champion. And, yes undertaker is the most logical choice for champion right now, and big show will get his title shot soon enough, once hes done with khali. But, I personally hope umaga wins the world title from taker at summerslam, after being drafted to sd! in maybe a few weeks time, hopefully. He is a good wrestler who deserves a fair push. And after khali held the belt last year, I think umaga should be given a push that makes him look better than khali, which can only be done by having him as world champion and maybe by beating the undertaker. Soon enough Matt Hardy will be the US champion, (maybe in a few months at the most), and thats all I got to say about this.

Regarding the Smackdown Titles, I think they are all in good hands right now.

World Heavyweight Title-being on Taker is a good thing. His is one of the, if not the best wrestler in WWE and will always be over. Edge was a good champion, but I look forward to Taker getting a long reign and possible fueds with Umaga and Big Show should be entertaining.

US Title-I have no problem with the title being on MVP, he is one of the guys who will be the future of the business and has great charisma. The only problem I have is that he needs to have a fued, so Hardy being back is a good thing. I would like to see Hardy win the title and keep the fued with MVP going, hopefully downt he line MVP will fued with Taker for the WHC, that will tell us if he is main event worthy or not.

Tag Title-I actually like the Miz and Morrison as the tag champs. Yeah they are not your typical tag team, they were singles guys forced together, but this time I think it actually worked. The Miz has the personality and Morrison has the in ring skills, so I think it is a good combination. I dont really see any tag team on Smackdown/ECW that would be better champs right now. I still say they should move London/Kendrick should be moved back to Smackdown, but until that happens, there aren't any tag teams on Smackdown/ECW that are better than Miz/Morrison.

Cruiserweight Title-this thing is dead, they put it on Horny, he had it stript from him, then it disappeared. Once Horny won the title that was the end of it, which is a shame because guys like Yang, Moore, London, Kendrick could make it a decent division, but by the looks of it, it is gone for good.

All in all, I like were the titles are right now, they are in good hands and in the hands of people that deserves them, hopefully it stays that way.

Speaking of Miz and Morrison, I think it's time for them to lose the belts. They rarely defend it, and the tag team division is growing with Deuce and Domino (too bad they've become jobbers), the Major Brothers, Jesse and Festus, and Wang and Moore. I think once Hardy wins the U.S. Title, Morrison needs to lose the tag belts so he could feud with Hardy. He already feuded with Jeff and their matches unleashed hell. I think Matt and Morrison could make a good match against each other. No problems with Taker and Kane as champs, Shelton could make a run at the US, so can jobbers like Elijah Burke, Tommy Dreamer, Kofi Kingston, the Miz, and many other ECW and SD stars. There needs to be a Cruiserweight open to determine a new champ, bring London and Kendrick back on SD, bring Super Jobber back and once Helms returns, and Chavo gets out of the consideration for the ECW title, I hope the Cruisers will be back on SD.

Soon enough Matt Hardy will be the US champion, (maybe in a few months at the most), and thats all I got to say about this.

I still feel that CM PUNK will cash in MITB for that title. It's the obvious choice for the push they are making right now. No way is he ready for Y2J, and DEFINITELY NOT for any of the HW belts. He's just not ready yet, and if they are indeed pushing him, then I think the US is the logical choice. He did have a mini-fued with MVP for a short while when he was ECW champ. I also think Matt, should go after the IC and get revenge for his brother(wrestling wise, not off matt wise).

Speaking of Miz and Morrison, I think it's time for them to lose the belts

very much agreed. I'd like to see Jesse and Festus grab them.

World Heavyweight Champion: The Undertaker - I think Taker is the best choice to be Champion right now. He's the most over person on SmackDown (by far), and he's making up for the time he lost last year because of injury. He was going to have a long reign as Champion until his injury, and now he's making up for it. It will be interesting to see who takes the belt off of Taker. I expect some good matches in the upcoming year with Taker leading SmackDown.

United States Champion: Montel Vontavious Porter - The series of matches MVP had with Benoit to win the US Title were enough to build credibility back up for the belt. But unfortunately the Title has barely been on the line since he won it almost a year ago. He's had a good reign, but the lack of defenses has kind of taken away from it. His feud with the returning Matt Hardy might bring back some credibility. I see Hardy winning it in the coming months, finally getting his reign with a credible singles Title.

WWE Tag Team Champions: John Morrison & The Miz - When these two were first paired together, I didn't really like them. But they've grown on me since winning the Tag Team Titles. They're gimmicks are similar, and they seem to have pretty good chemistry. I'm not a big fan of randomly thrown together Tag Teams, but these two pull it off. With the Tag Team Division on both shows seeming to get a little better in the last couple of weeks, I'm looking forward to seeing who will finally de-thrown these two.

United States Champion: Matt Hardy - So Matt has finally stepped up to the plate. It's good to see him finally win a credible singles Title. It will be interesting to see how he carries it. Hopefully he'll have some decent feuds, and work on his mic skills, and he could one day move up the ranks because of this. I'm happy for the man.

US Champion: Matt Hardy - Saw it coming, MVP has held the title for SO long and it had to happen. Maybe now MVP can go for a bigger title, maybe? Anyways, expect a decent reign from Matt and some nice promos along with it. Who will he defend it against first, likely and slight-obviously... MVP. After... I'll let you guys decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back