• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should I Buy A Wii?

The Brain

King Of The Ring
I need some advice from some video game guys. I am not a video game guy. I had NES and SNES as a kid, but nothing since. I’ve never been into Playstation, Xbox, etc. I don’t like first person games. I loved the Mario games and Donkey Kong Country and DKC2. Now I see Wii has a new game for both Mario and DK that are supposedly a throwback to the SNES games. My question is would I, someone who hasn’t played anything since SNES, enjoy these games and would it be worth buying a Wii for those two games?

I need some advice from some video game guys. I am not a video game guy. I had NES and SNES as a kid, but nothing since. I’ve never been into Playstation, Xbox, etc. I don’t like first person games. I loved the Mario games and Donkey Kong Country and DKC2. Now I see Wii has a new game for both Mario and DK that are supposedly a throwback to the SNES games. My question is would I, someone who hasn’t played anything since SNES, enjoy these games and would it be worth buying a Wii for those two games?

It wouldn't be worth it for those two games alone. You would actually be doing yourself a disservice not venturing out and finding other games that you may like. I'm sure you'd be interested in more games that the Wii has to offer.

The Wii really is a solid system. It is different from the norm and appeals to the casual gamer, like yourself. It's fun and well worth its money.

I own a Wii. I haven't touched it in months. Then again I don't have jackshit for games.

It wouldn't be worth it for those two games alone. You would actually be doing yourself a disservice not venturing out and finding other games that you may like. I'm sure you'd be interested in more games that the Wii has to offer.

The Wii really is a solid system. It is different from the norm and appeals to the casual gamer, like yourself. It's fun and well worth its money.

I would probably end up finding more games, but my question was more about those two games. Are they similar enough to the SNES games where I would find it an easy transition after being out of video games for the past 15 years?

Well, from what I understand, DKC is very much like the old ones. New Super Mario Bros. is definably one to get if you're into the old style. I don't know if you're a fan of Metroid or Zelda but if you are Other M and Twilight Princess are good too. There's a lot of good games on it. If anything, ask Lee.

I would probably end up finding more games, but my question was more about those two games. Are they similar enough to the SNES games where I would find it an easy transition after being out of video games for the past 15 years?

Definitely. You just would need to get used to the newer controls but it really is not too much of a leap of faith to go from NES and SNES to the Wii. Same characters, same storyline, etc., If you are a real gamer, Playstation or XBox would be the way to go (PS3 is better IMO). But if you are casual gamer, the Wii is probably better. More interactive games. Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Pokemon, Sonic, all available on Wii, plus a bunch of sports games that aren't too bad either.

It is a fairly easy transition except for adapting to the new controllers.

i'll say yes. I'll give you a full post on monday when i'm back.

With work tonight and mania tomorrow I wouldn't play this weekend anyway so I'll wait to see your full input Lee.

I like mine, if you have Netflix you would be able to use it for that as well as games, Super Mario Wii is fun as hell, Mario Kart Wii, and the Wii sports games are also fun, so right there you have several games, never really played the DKC games much, you can also download old NES, SNES, Sega, and a bunch of other old games via the Wii store, they'll cost a couple bucks, but are worth it if you really love the old games

I love my Wii, I think it was well worth the $200

Donkey Kong Country returns was one of the best games I've ever played and was very much like the original for the SNES.

As for the Wii itself, I find it is good for multiplayer but that's about it. The afor-mentioned Donkey Kong was the last game I played for the system , but I'll occasionally play Mario Kart. If your going to pick anything up for the system, it has to be Mario Kart.

Depends. Are you looking for a system that you can browse the internet, play dvds/blue rays, and play video games? Or are you looking for one that will just play games, the internet, and tire out you're arm? Personally, I can't stand the Wii. I played The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess on it and I could only play for maybe 30 minutes before I had to rest my arm and shit. It also has Gamecube graphics and the Nintendo Gamecube was a huge waste of money and time to play. I actually bought a Wii a while back and I took it back to Gamestop the very next day and traded it for my Xbox 360, which is my favourite game system and I do think it tops the Playstation 3.

Tire out your arm?, exactly how hard are you flinging your arm around when playing games?, I've had my Wii for a couple yrs. now, I don't recall ever having a sore arm

Twilight princess is a gamecube game with wii controls. That's why the graphics are gamecube standard.

You can also modify your Wii to play SNES games for free, along with games from pretty much any past-generation console. The Wii is a great little system.

Depends. Are you looking for a system that you can browse the internet, play dvds/blue rays, and play video games? Or are you looking for one that will just play games, the internet, and tire out you're arm? Personally, I can't stand the Wii. I played The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess on it and I could only play for maybe 30 minutes before I had to rest my arm and shit. It also has Gamecube graphics and the Nintendo Gamecube was a huge waste of money and time to play. I actually bought a Wii a while back and I took it back to Gamestop the very next day and traded it for my Xbox 360, which is my favourite game system and I do think it tops the Playstation 3.

I don't care about internet, dvds, or blu rays. I just want something simple that will be very similar to the games I remember on SNES. I don't want to have to make any kind of movements that will tire my arm while playing DKC. I just want to sit back and use my thumbs to play a simple game.

I don't care about internet, dvds, or blu rays. I just want something simple that will be very similar to the games I remember on SNES. I don't want to have to make any kind of movements that will tire my arm while playing DKC. I just want to sit back and use my thumbs to play a simple game.

It's been awhile since I played Super Mario Wii, but I don't think you move your arm at all, I think you just turn the "Wii-mote" sideways and use it like and old basic style controller

That's what I'm looking for, a controller like the old school ones I grew up with. I want to park my lazy ass on the couch and just play simple games. Thanks to all for your input so far.

new super mario bros wii is side remote. Galaxy 1 and 2 is wii controls but an amazing game.

I recommend a wii, it's more fun that it sounds in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back