The Mario history thread

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
Evolution_of_Mario.jpg

I've been inspired by a recent publication in the official Nintendo Magazine to go through the Mario games give what I think on each one hopefully starting a bit of discussion on each one.

I will start tomorrow with Donkey Kong to set the background (I'm about to download it now as it's the only main Mario game I haven't played!) and we'll take it from there going through the NES, SNES, 64 Cube and eventually onto the Wii.

Donkey_Kong_flier_cropped.png

The story

The story goes that a carpenter called Jumpman gets into trouble when his pet ape escapes and kidnaps "the lady" and it's up to Jupman to save the day.

The history

What does that have to do with Mario? Eh hello it's his first appearance in a game! The game was released in 1981 on the arcades in Japan, Nintendo were down to its skin and bones after the failure of Radar Scope in 1980 so they asked a young designer by the name of Shigeru Miyamato into something that would make money. The game was originally meant to be based on Popeye but Nintendo couldn't gain the license for it. 'The lady' became Pauline Jumpman became Mario for the US release sales went through the roof and it was eventually released on the NES in 83 for Japan, 86 for US and Europe. What Miyamato had started was a cultural revolution.

My opinion

I've always thought this game would be rubbish, but I downloaded it tonight and it is highly addictive, rather challenging and just an all round great game, It opened the door for Nintendo and brought us two of Nintendos biggest franchises in Donkey Kong and Mario. This game broke the mould on so many levels...imagine they got the license for Popeye to start with...exactly!

Game I won't go into detail but worth mentioning/Next game

Donkey Kong Jr
was the sequel Mario was the bad guy, it was quite popular.

My next game will be Mario Bros. feel free to discuss the Donkey Kong game and what you think of it :)

Donkey Kong was an amazing game, I had it downloaded on my Nintendo Wii till about a week ago whem my hpome was broken into... My wii is gone, but not my memorys... Once again, DK origional Rules!

Ahh good times with DK. I have it on my laptop and it keeps me company while I'm at school XD Other then that though. A flat out classic arcade game that got recreated for pretty much every system that nintendo produced, but with the classic graphics

yeah this is defenitely a classic I havent played it in a while but this was the first video game I ever played, I used to go to my cousins house and play it non stop. defenitely a classic good arcade fun

Mariobrothers.png

The story

I really don't think there was much of a plot to this other than the fact that Mario had to destroy pests in a pipe...you basically just kill the enemies that's it, most won't remember this game but it was used as a mini game in Super Mario Bros. 3

The history

Mario Bros. was officially released as a spin-off of Donkey Kong, paving the way for a much bigger franchise. It was the first appearance of Mario's brother Luigi as well regular enemies the koopa making their first appearance. The arcade version was released in 1983 with the NES release on JPN September 9, 1983 NA June, 1986 EU September, 1986

My opinion

This game is OK in my opinion. I remember playing it on Super Mario Bros. 3 and finding it quite frustrating. As a whole it's obvious that this game will be seen as a transitional game moving jumpan from a carpenter to Mario who is now a plumber.

Next game

My next game will be Super Mario Bros. the one that kicked it all off, I hope that will gain more dfiscussion than this one as I'm sure not many will remember it...feel free to discuss the Mario Bros. game and what you think of it :)

Probably one of the more forgetable games in the series. Again a great game that had many remakes. (Every Mario game for Game Boy Advance) However as I mentioned, when you think Mario this game most likley will not be anywhere near the first to pop into your head. For me that'd be Mario RPG

Super_Mario_Bros_box.jpg

The story

Two plumber brothers have to save the princess from the evil King Koopa. Ah yes...the plot is finally there!

The history

In 1983 the Famicom was released in Japan and really lacked a title that was well...Super. Cue Miyamato and his task to make a groundbreaking new release for the North American release of the Famicom which was repackaged as the NES. Japan and the US got in 1985, the UK got it in 1987.

My opinion

Some people believe that Super Mario bros. is the greatest game of all time. I personally wouldn't agree with that but you can guarantee that there are not many people who have not played Super Mario Bros. It was the first computer game I ever remember seeing (Super Mario Bros. 3 would be the first I owned) and I'm going to agree with what the Nintendo Magazine says here and that they believe that this game single handily rescued the video games industry. It was so simple and had a great blend of difficulties my only gripe was the warps, I never did every level in that game because of the cheats but hey!

[[Lee EDIT I have now!]]

Next game

My next game will be Super Mario Bros. 2 but the one only released initially in Japan not the one we all know...feel free to discuss Super Mario Bros. game and what you think of it :)

You should do Sonic next. I'll be honest and say there's never been a bad Mario game. Well, at least one that isn't fun. That I've played. Super Mario Golf and Tennis, or whatever their names are, are some of the most enjoyable games ever. When you're with friends. Of course, Mario Kart is the jewel in the party games crown. Mario Kart is the best game ever. Ever.

You should do Sonic next. I'll be honest and say there's never been a bad Mario game. Well, at least one that isn't fun. That I've played. Super Mario Golf and Tennis, or whatever their names are, are some of the most enjoyable games ever. When you're with friends. Of course, Mario Kart is the jewel in the party games crown. Mario Kart is the best game ever. Ever.

My focus will be on the main mario games, Mario Kart and the other spinoffs will get their own mention as I come up to them. Sonic...nah I feel there hasn't been a decent sonic game since sonic adventure...Next I will do Zelda if this thread works well. Then maybe I'll do Sonic :)

Ahh the one that really started it all. Still probably one of the most amazing games ever made,great and yet simple plot.

Actually there was a second installment of this game sort to speakthat released in Japan only. In America it's called Super Mario: The Lost Levels, which can only be found on Super Mario All Stars for Super NES. That game was actually released in Japan before Super Mario Brothers 2 was released in the US

Actually there was a second installment of this game sort to speakthat released in Japan only. In America it's called Super Mario: The Lost Levels, which can only be found on Super Mario All Stars for Super NES. That game was actually released in Japan before Super Mario Brothers 2 was released in the US

Said game is also available until tomorrow on the virtual console on the wii, and will be the next game in my thread that I will mention.

I'm surprised not many more people have talked about Super Mario Bros.

How many games of super mario will they make. Its crazy I tell you crazy. The first mario game I ever played was probally on nintendo. Its amzing how the video games are growing, its like the same game play but with diffrent features like the super mario game on DS.

Said game is also available until tomorrow on the virtual console on the wii, and will be the next game in my thread that I will mention.

I'm surprised not many more people have talked about Super Mario Bros.

I agree I'm surprised that not many people have really talked about it. It's a shame really, I guess the gaming community is not that big here. Oh well keep it going though it's rather enjoyable:headbanger:

I don't know this at all, outside of the hilarious videos on Youtube, Super Mario Frustration. I'm actually playing Double Dash at this moment. Doing the all cup tour, which I finally unlocked about a half-hour ago.

Smb2j1.png
Mariobros2japanbox.jpg

The story

Would you have it our princess has been kidnapped yet again!

The history

THe huge success of Super Mario Bros. led to work on an obvious sequel. As Miyamato was working on Doki Doki Panic the game was instead directed by Takashi Tezuka. This game was quite hard and the Japanese market struggled to complete it. It was decided this game would not see the light of day in the western world leading us to the Super Mario Bros. 2 game we all know. It was released on the SNES as the lost levels and is more commonly known as that.

wikipedia said:
The game has been available in Japan on the Nintendo Wii Virtual Console since May 1st 2007 and is available in Europe and Australia from September 14, 2007 until September 30, 2007 [LAST DAY GUYS!!!] as part of the Hanabi Festival. The version available is based on the original Famicom game (not the Super NES update included in Super Mario All-Stars). It has also recently been rated by the ESRB, which suggests the game may see a release on the Virtual Console in America.

My opinion
A carbon copy of Super Mario 1, add with severe difficulty and annoying mushrooms that kill you and warps that go back, I don't rate this game quite highly. I honestly believe that if this game was released world wide as the Super Mario Bros 2 then I don't feel Mario would still be around today (but more on that on my next entry!)

Next game

My next game will be Super Mario Bros. 2 the one we all know and love and feel free to discuss the Lost Levels game and what you think of it :)

i can say that im 1 of the few people I know that have actually beaten this game. Hard as Hell, but mad fun, I acually like it more then the US Super Mario 2

When I was younger, I never really got the chance to play the old Super Mario games, as I had a mother who was really anal about letting me play them, so I could only play the classic Mario games at friends houses. Luckily, I finally wore my mother out with my constant begging for a game counsel, she bought me an N64 for my 11th birthday. The first game I ever owned? Super Mario 64. Thats the game I best associate with when I think of the Mario franchise. I also loved all the other Mario based games for the 64, with Mario Kart, Mario Golf, and Mario Tennis being just a few. But I'll always put Mario 64 at the head of the list.

By far Mario 64 was IMO the best Mario game ever, but we're not up to that game yet. Since Flameboy hasn't posted Mario 2 yet I'll mention a little something about The Lost Levels. I got up to world 7 and I guess I missed a pipe somewhere cause at the end of the level there was a warp zone. That warp zone had one pipe that warped back to world 1. I wanted to shoot myself at that point since the game is frustrating enough. However I did beat it, and as frustrating as it was it is a pretty intense game, probably the hardest classic sidescroller. I also liked the aspect of having Luigi as a plaable character, it added a little exra to the game with his high jumps and not being able to stop right away while running.

Super_Mario_Bros_2.jpg
Smb2_comparison.png

The story
According to the game manual;

One evening, Mario had a strange dream. He dreamt of a long, long stairway leading up to a door. As soon as the door opened, he was confronted with a world he had never seen before, spreading out as far as his eyes could see. When he strained his ears to listen, he heard a faint voice saying "Welcome to 'Subcon', the land of dreams. We have been cursed by Wart and we are completely under his evil spell. We have been awaiting your arrival. Please defeat Wart and return Subcon to its natural state. The curse Wart has put on you in the real world will not have any effect upon you here. Remember, Wart hates vegetables. Please help us!"

At the same time this was heard, a bolt of lightning flashed before Mario's eyes. Stunned, Mario lost his footing and tumbled upside down. He awoke with a start to find himself sitting up in his bed. To clear his head, Mario talked to Luigi, Toad and the Princess about the strange dream he had. They decide to go to a nearby mountain for a picnic. After arriving at the picnic area and looking at the scenery, they see a small cave nearby. When they enter this cave, to their great surprise, there's a stairway leading up, up and up. It is exactly like the one Mario saw in his dream. They all walk together up the stairs and at the top, find a door just like the one in Mario's dream. When Mario and his friends, in fear, open the door, to their surprise, the world that he saw in his dream spreads out before them!

The history

Miyamato was working on Doki Doki Panic as previously mentioned and Super Mario Bros 2 (the lost levels as I'll refer to that verion) his game was quite hard and the Japanese market struggled to complete it. It was decided this game would not see the light of day in the western world leading to a few quick developments which basically changed the doki doki Panic characters to Mario, Luigi, Princess and Toad

My opinion

As I mentioned before I honestly believe that if the lost levels was the western sequel to Super Mario Bros. I would not be doing this thread right now. Super Mario Bros 2. brought in different elements we'd not seen before and thus was not too similar to Super Mario Bros 1 as I feel the lost levels were. On top of that it's a great game!

Next game

My next game will be my personal favourite... Super Mario Bros. 3 feel free to discuss tSuper Mario Bros. 2 and what you think of it :)

I liked this game a lot. It definatly was a twist from the original sidescroller and the lost levels for that matter. I don't know if this game was intended to be as big a hit as the original, but IMO Mario lost a little bit of steam, but did an amazing job recovering with Mario 3, which I'll talk bout 2 morrow. As for this game like I said it was a nice twist, I enjoyed being able to use a few different characters, and the whole slot machine thing at the end of the levels was semi entertaining.

Just an update of my current plan I will do Super Mario Bros. 3 then have a random interlude on something random, either items, enemies or good guys. We'll then kick off onto the Snes (and gameboy!) which will also bring us to the Mario Spin offs.

yes that it would,Flamelee good idea really with this thread it's made me pull out my new/snes XD

I'm going to sit back and wait till you guys get to the N64 portion, I've never really followed the classic Mario games all that much so I like hearing your feedback on them

I do however, have Mario Golf and Mario Tennis for Game Boy Color

Smb3.jpg

The story
wiki said:
n Super Mario Bros. 3, Mario and Luigi are on a mission to rescue the seven kings of the seven worlds which neighbor the Mushroom Kingdom. Each of the kings has had his magic wand stolen by one of the Koopalings, who has turned him into a different type of animal. It's up to the Mario Bros. to enter the seven worlds, make their way to the Koopalings' airships and take back the wands.

However, as Mario and Luigi learn at the end of world 7, these attacks are merely a diversion planned by Bowser, to get Mario and Luigi out of the way while he kidnaps Princess Toadstool. So it's up to Mario and Luigi to save the Princess once again.

The history
The Year is 1989, Super Mario Bros. 3 was released in 1988 in Japan, America and Europe have no release date and frankly we don't think it's ever going to come out. Instead we get a film called The Wizard, towards the end of the film the grand final is a top secret game...here's the clip;

[youtube]LobnWDEdm6o[/youtube]

And so Super Mario Bros. 3 was announced to the USA and Europe

My opinion
One of my favourite games EVER Super Mario Bros. 3 had something that Super Mario bros 2 (both of them) were lacking. It stayed true to Super Mario bros. yet was totally different at the same time. New enemies, maps, items such as hammer bro. suits and the famous raccoon leaf cap thing, addictive game play, big worlds and those graphics on an 8bit?! WOW! It's the first game I ever remember owning, and I love it still to this day.

Next game

Well it's time to start bringing in the spin offs. Dr. Mario will be the first spin off I cover and the next Mario game will be Mario Land 1 & 2 both in the same thread. We're gaining ground rather fast now, all the spin off games will be in the same thread. By that I mean all the Mario Kart games will be together etc. so that means we'll be on N64 games soon Ech and a7xoff we're nearly at Yoshi

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back