The Mario history thread

Will the latest Super Mario Bros. game be featured on this list? The one on the DS? I have it, and I've got to say that it's an incredible game. The best side-scrolling platformer I've ever played, hands down. Maybe, if you could be bothered, you should add a section about how Mario has affected other games. Ratchet and Clank felt like an updated version of Mario 64 to me. Still, 'twas a good game.

Will the latest Super Mario Bros. game be featured on this list? The one on the DS? I have it, and I've got to say that it's an incredible game. The best side-scrolling platformer I've ever played, hands down. Maybe, if you could be bothered, you should add a section about how Mario has affected other games. Ratchet and Clank felt like an updated version of Mario 64 to me. Still, 'twas a good game.

yeah that will be mentioned. After I've gone through the game I'm hoping to have a debate on the impact on the gaming world, what the greatest Mario game was etc.

Mario 3... Not one of my personal favs, but it definatly bought Mario back to classic style that was introduced in Mario Bros. Very fun game, I liked the whole items thing while on the map. I actually was able to beat the game in five minutes or so thanks to the abondunce of warp whistles. Overall good game, and certainly set the stage for later games and abilities

I love this game. I have it for my old NES, SNES(Mario All-Stars), and GBA lol. I think it is one of the best Mario games of all time, it is very fun and addictive. It had a bit of everything: cool items, good music, creative levels, hidden secrets, and Mini-games like Card Match and the Spade Puzzles. It was even more fun when you are playing with a friend because you can help eachother beat the levels(if you couldn't beat a certain level your friend might be able to and vice versa), something previous Mario games did not have.

So begins the Mario Spin offs, when I do a spin off I mean for all games in the series, Dr Mario I will just review the NES one, but Mario Kart etc. I'll cover all platforms.

Drmario_box.jpg

The story
A puzzle game similar to Tetris, Dr. Mario features Nintendo mascot Mario as a doctor. Play consists of dropping two-sided vitamin capsules into an eight-block-by-16-block playing field populated by viruses of three colors (red, yellow, and blue).

The history

A rather simple history for this. Very basically Nintendo added it's contribution to the falling block craze started by Tetris and so one of the most successful puzzle games of all time were made.

My opinion
I feel this game kick started the realisation that Mario could work in other games than platformers, although I have no idea where he got his PHD from! Insanely addictive, and one of the first games I remember, even my mother enjoyed it, shows the way it could open to anyone!

Next game

The next Mario game will be Mario Land 1 & 2 both in the same thread. The next spin off game will be the Mario Kart series. Well you should know by now...feel free to discuss Dr Mario (in any of it's appearances)!

I like Tetris but i never really got into Dr Mario, i just didn't like it for some reason. Nintendo really made a hit in my opinion with the other spin off, MARIO KART!!! are you going to feature it?

I like Tetris but i never really got into Dr Mario, i just didn't like it for some reason.

Yeah I agree, Tetris is better. Dr Mario I loved because it was the first out of the two I played. Also the two player option was ace.

Nintendo really made a hit in my opinion with the other spin off, MARIO KART!!! are you going to feature it?

Lets see what I wrote...

The next spin off game will be the Mario Kart series.

As though I could miss Mario Kart off! Mario Land 1&2 will be next followed by Mario Kart (all of them!)

Lol sorry could have swore you said you'de do all the spin offs at once, my mistake.

YOu might have misread. I meant all teh spin offs will be in series brackets. So where I've done Mario Bros 1, 2 3etc. in seperate threads I will do;
Mario Kart
MArio Tennis
Mario Golf
Super Smash Bros.

in threads of series (so mario kart for SNES, 64, GC and DS in one thread) Sorry if I confused you there!

Yea woops lol. I like this. Think this a good idea for a thread. I read you would do Zelda if this turns out well. Are you going to include the weird German one from outside of Nintendo before they copyrighted it.

Yea woops lol. I like this. Think this a good idea for a thread. I read you would do Zelda if this turns out well. Are you going to include the weird German one from outside of Nintendo before they copyrighted it.

As with this thread I will do with the Mario main Mario games (and spin offs) and then I'm gonna have a bit at the end on random obscure Mario games such as Super Mario hotel for the SNES. The Zelda one am not thinking about until I've finished this one and may give it a few weeks when I'm done, so haven't even thought about the German one (I think it was a philips game!)

ANy other queries just PM me as after all this isn't a spam thread :)

I cant wait for the mario kart one, as well as Super Marioooo R P G, lol, those are my fav Mario Games great idea Lee, you rule :)

I never really got into Dr. Mario. I don't know why. I liked the style of having to line up the proper color pills on the germs. I guess by the time I played Dr. Mario I was heavily into Tetris, and still am... However Dr. Mario did open the door IMO for several different styles of puzzle games, and showed that Mario could in fact be associated in other types of games outside of rescuing the princess

Super_Mario_Land_box_art.jpg
Super_Mario_Land_2_box_art.jpg

The story
The story of Super Mario Land is set in the peaceful realm of Sarasaland, which is split into the four kingdoms of Birabuto, Muda, Easton, and Chai. One day, a mysterious alien named Tatanga appears and hypnotizes the inhabitants of Sarasaland. He kidnaps Princess Daisy in order to marry her. Mario then sets out to rescue her from Tatanga, traveling through the four geographical areas of Sarasaland defeating his minions along the way, as well as finding monsters that pretend to be Daisy in order to fool Mario.

Super Mario Land 2 takes place immediately after the original Super Mario Land. Wario has put an evil spell over Mario Land while Mario was away in Sarasaland, renaming the area Warioland. The inhabitants are now brainwashed into thinking that Wario is their master, and Mario is their enemy. Wario's motive behind this sudden attack was to take control over Mario's castle in order to have a palace of his own. In order to stop Wario, Mario must find the 6 Golden Coins throughout Mario Land to gain access to his castle.

The history
Again a basic history lesson here, Nintendo wanted a Mario game for the Gameboy. They got one in Super Mario Land (and then Super Mario Land 2)

My opinion
Totally breaking Mario convention, there was shoot up levels (in the submarine and plane) and Daisy was the princess to be rescued this time rather than Peach/Toadstool, it was set in Sarasland rather than the Mushroom kingdom and both games were notable for tehir lack of Bowser as the bad guy. I still enjoyed both games, but I think they're often lost in the fray when it comes to Mario games. Super Mario Land 2 brought us Wario and I can still remember seeing the adverts on TV.

Next game

Well next it's spin off game time with the one we've all been waiting for...the Mario Kart series and the next Mario game will be Super Mario world for the SNES

Ahh my first Gameboy game Mario Land. Classic to say the least. Loved the added submarine and plane levels. Not much else to really say about that game other then that it kept the classic Mario feel and allowed for it to become protable. Mario Land 2 on the other hand is probably still to this day my favorite Mario game for hand helds (not including spinoffs) Loved the themes of the worlds, and the hidden levels that allowed for the map to change. Some of the ones that come to mind was in the Pumpkin Zone. I also liked the zero gravity Space Zone. The game also took the Racoon Mario from Mario Bros. 3 and turned it into Bunny ears. The Bunny ears would be the last thing before the now famous cape.

l_2c100502933f571ce1c10a4a61f7ac04.jpg

History
An amalgamation of all the Mario Karts games here;

Supermariokart_box.JPG

Super Mario Kart is the first video game in the Mario Kart series, released in 1992 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

Mario_Kart_64box.jpg

Was released on December 14, 1996 in Japan, February 10, 1997 in North America, and June 24, 1997 in Europe. On January 26, 2007 Mario Kart 64 was released on Nintendo's European Virtual Console service for the Wii. It was also released on the American service on January 29, 2007.

Mario Kart Super Circuit

It combines features from earlier Mario Kart games (Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64) In particular, it features the gameplay mechanics of the latter title and tracks from the former game (unlockable). Super Circuit is also the first Mario Kart game to be on a handheld system.

Mk_doubledash.jpg

Double Dash builds and improves on its predecessors in many ways, the most prominently featured of which is that each kart carry two riders; a driver and a gunner. Released worldwide November 2003.

Mario Kart DS

The game was released in the United States, Canada, Australia, and Europe in November 2005, and in Japan in December 2005,and in South Korea in which it is the very first Wi-Fi Connection game launched in April 2007. It was well received critically, scoring an average of 91% from Metacritic. Many reviewers have called it the best Mario Kart game in the series.

Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart Wii will return the franchise to single driver gameplay, moving away from the approach of its console predecessor, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!. The game will contain new tracks while including classic circuits such as Yoshi Falls, and Peach Beach. New Tracks so far viewed include Mario Circuit, Wario Mines, Mushroom Jungle and a new Moo Moo Farm version. Due for release in 2008.

My opinion
My word, My word, My word! Easily the greatest Mario Spin off games, potentially gave Mario an extra shelf life. What fun they are, all have failed to disappoint (apart from Double Dash, that annoyed me!), hours of my life have been wasted on these games (and am sure many more to come when Mario Kart is released!)

Next game

The next Mario game will be Super Mario world for the SNES with the next spin off likely Mario Tennis

Mario Kart's are brilliant. I still play on Mario Kart D.S. two years on. I'm actually going to have to invest in a Wii so I can get the new one that's coming out. It also brought out the spin off of the spin off, Diddy Kong Racing. Although that game is complete garbage. the N64 and D.S. version.

Mario Kart's are brilliant. I still play on Mario Kart D.S. two years on. I'm actually going to have to invest in a Wii so I can get the new one that's coming out. It also brought out the spin off of the spin off, Diddy Kong Racing. Although that game is complete garbage. the N64 and D.S. version.

I'll have to agree there, Diddy Kong was crap, trying to add an adventure story into it just didn't work.

Mario Kart on Wii looks great, they're bringing back some of the old power ups, you'll be able to play online and the game will come with a steering wheel adapter for the wiimote. I'm excited by it :)

I'll have to agree there, Diddy Kong was crap, trying to add an adventure story into it just didn't work.

Mario Kart on Wii looks great, they're bringing back some of the old power ups, you'll be able to play online and the game will come with a steering wheel adapter for the wiimote. I'm excited by it :)

What?! You both are crazy, I personally loved Diddy Kong Racing, maybe not as much as Mario Kart 64 (especially in a group setting), but at least Diddy Kong Racing was challenging to beat and master, unlike Mario Kart

I've played every version of Mario Kart there is, except the one on DS. Mario Kart 64 is the best by far. It has 3D graphics, and its easy to master and not that difficult to play (unlike double dash) plus it can be one of the most addicting games when placed in a group setting.

At my college of roughly 5000 people, out of the guys and girls dorms, Mario Kart 64 was the number one game played in a group setting until Halo 3 came out, I shit you not.

Last year they had two big tournaments dedicated to Mario, one being just in our dorm and the other being a co ed tournament. On the flip side, they attempted to host a Halo 2 tournament, but had to cancel it due to lack of interest, they tried to host another one this year, but again their wasn't enough interest and they had to cancel. That says alot when Mario Kart 64 can consistently beat out a game like Halo 2 in popularity.

I've played every version of Mario Kart there is, except the one on DS. Mario Kart 64 is the best by far. It has 3D graphics, and its easy to master and not that difficult to play (unlike double dash) plus it can be one of the most addicting games when placed in a group setting.

At my college of roughly 5000 people, out of the guys and girls dorms, Mario Kart 64 was the number one game played in a group setting until Halo 3 came out.

I'm gonna agree that 64 is the best (I have never played the DS one and I am fully aware that it keeps getting voted the top). 64 took the brand into 3D and it worked, bringing in Wario helped as well as the crazy new tracks. This added with a mix of simplistic gameplay that wasn't too hard madxe it great. Double Dash tried to hard and failed, it was solid and I've still not finished all the cups! (granted I've just had it a few months!)

I have all the track records, and I know a good majority of the Shortcuts for Mario Kart 64, like I have beaten Wario Stadium in 4 seconds. I have beaten Rainbow Ride in under 3 minutes. I have beaten Royal Raceway in under 2 minutes.

Have we done Super Mario 64 yet?

Have we done Super Mario 64 yet?

No that's 2 Mario games away...there's Super Mario World, Mario Tennis, Mario 64, Mario Golf, Paper Mario (full series), Super Smash Bros, Super Mario Sunshine, then a look at other spin offs including Mario strikers and Mario Basketball. Also I'll Have a look at the future of Mario and my thoughts of the whole thing, maybe even have a character breakdown. That's the current plan, So by Monday evening we should be on Mario 64

Do you know all the big shortcuts for Mario Kart 64?

I know them, but I've not played Mario 64 for a while now so doubt I'd be able to perfect them straight off, I might download it on wii virtual console as it is a classic. Can't wait for Mario Bros. 3 to be released on it as well!

The shortcuts on Rainbow Ride, Royal Raceway, Yoshi Valley, and the second one on DK's Jungle Parkway (not the bridge shortcut, but the cliff shortcut at the beginning) are the toughest to pull off consistently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back