• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Details Emerge on Nintendo Wii U

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Nintendo just made a big announcement over in Japan about the Wii U. Here's what we know so far:

-Available in black & white at launch (woo...)
-Will release worldwide on December 8th
-Will have 2 versions available for release
-"Premium" will comes with the game pad and 32Gb of storage
-"Home" comes with the game pad and 8Gb of storage​
-2Gb of Ram (so, about as much as my phone)
-It will still run on SD cards for expandable storage (really?)
-"NintendoLand" and "New Super Mario Bros. U" available on launch

I was going to put up the prices - it looks like they're aiming at a $300 and $250 US launch - but if you just take the prices translated from the Japanese it's a LOT more expensive. Like $400 and $330. The game pad would be like $170 or so, but should be around $50-60 in the US. We'll know more at 7am as Nintendo makes the official US announcements.

There's a very, very, very high probability that I won't ever get a Wii U. Mostly because I don't really care about playing the latest Mario games anymore, and because I think the game pad looks big, clumsy and really annoying (not to mention hella gimmicky, like everything else Nintendo does these days). I'd rather put that good money down on some PS3 games, or...I don't know, not buying a Wii U.

Here's a picture of some hands using the game pad on a first gen XBox - erm - the Wii U...
wiiU.png

and because I think the game pad looks big, clumsy and really annoying.
This line of thought needs to go away. Mostly because I have yet to see anybody who has actually used the tablet controller confirm any of it. Most have said it feels comfortable and intuitive.

This line of thought needs to go away.

^^THIS line of thought needs to go away. It's my opinion, and if you don't like it you are still entitled to your own. Apparently you don't feel the same way.

I have played it, albeit very briefly. They were modeling them at an expo in Chicago one day, and I happened to be going through the city at the same time. Unfortunately the game pads were not active that day as they were still working things out, but I did get to hold one and pretend like I was playing around with it. It wasn't uncomfortable, but it also wasn't something I could necessary hold in one hand while I take a sip of my beverage either. Playing for more than a short time is, in my opinion, going to get annoying. And yes, the entire concept of using a tablet is INCREDIBLY gimmicky. It's not even that "creative" as I've been doing stuff between my iPad and my other devices for years now.

I can see myself getting one of these a few years down the road. Right now my financial situation doesn't really permit a game console at launch unless I can swing it as a gift - though I think there's a point when you stop deserving big gifts from your parents, and I'm rapidly approaching it. But if anything I'll be saving up for whatever Sony puts outs next. That will take highest priority over any other console...unless Valve actually makes one.

The five year plan includes copious amounts of disposable income down the road, though, so a WiiU is probably in the future.

unless Valve actually makes one.
If Valve and Blizzard got together to make a console, it'd be fantastic. It'd come out in 2058, but it'd be fantastic.

Maybe "never" getting one of these is a bit strong. Maybe eventually, if I've got the money and it comes down in price just a little bit, I'll pick one up. I'm kind of addicted to the Smash Bros series, so it'd be rough to hear everybody talking about it and not getting to play it myself. But after the Wii...I just don't trust Nintendo to put out a library of games to make my purchase necessary. For every big game - New Super Mario Bros, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Metroid, Zelda, etc - I was able to go over to a friends house and run through them in a weekend. All incredibly fun, but none of them justified my need to own my own console. Ironically, lack of 3rd party support is what killed them, and it's the same thing I DONT like about the Wii U.

^^THIS line of thought needs to go away. It's my opinion, and if you don't like it you are still entitled to your own. Apparently you don't feel the same way.
No it doesn't. I said it needs to go away because I have yet to see any evidence to support it as factual. You can't defend it just by saying it's your opinion. And the original model of the controller is not the one they are using now, after feedback they made alterations to it.

I won't make any assumptions on something I haven't had a chance to play. I did that with the Wii and ended up finding it enjoyable.

HGR said:
I have played it, albeit very briefly. They were modeling them at an expo in Chicago one day, and I happened to be going through the city at the same time. Unfortunately the game pads were not active that day as they were still working things out, but I did get to hold one and pretend like I was playing around with it. It wasn't uncomfortable, but it also wasn't something I could necessary hold in one hand while I take a sip of my beverage either. Playing for more than a short time is, in my opinion, going to get annoying. And yes, the entire concept of using a tablet is INCREDIBLY gimmicky. It's not even that "creative" as I've been doing stuff between my iPad and my other devices for years now
Which model of it? Because there are at least two of them. I don't see what the problem of a gimmick is, by definition almost everything is, what is more important is how it allows you to interact with the games. That is what matters, you should try the new model and play games with before you say it's not something you like.

What does the iPad have to do with this? The idea hasn't been implemented on consoles before. Smartglass doesn't count as it's a copy and doesn't have much support.

Only 2 launch games? I think I can hold my breath for a bit longer.
I don't think that was the full list of launch games. I don't think Nintendo is dumb enough to only give you 2 games at launch. More so since some games for it will be released on the 360 and PS3 months earlier.

Oh, before it slips my mind. That 2GB is split between the OS and Games. So for games it is 1 gb which is a major letdown.

No it doesn't. I said it needs to go away because I have yet to see any evidence to support it as factual. You can't defend it just by saying it's your opinion

I THINK it looks dumb. I THINK it's big and clumsy. That's not a fact, it's my fucking opinion! And as I'm the only person here who has held the game pad in my hands and been able to flip it around and experience it in real life, my opinion is what I'm going to go with.

You don't have to. That's the beauty of opinions. They're not right or wrong, they're personal and they shouldn't influence your decision all that heavily. Unless you really think anybody here is going to make their decisions about the Wii U based on my assessment of a game pad, you need to calm your tits.

Only 2 launch games? I think I can hold my breath for a bit longer.
I did not say that. I just said that those two games specifically will be available at launch.

you need to calm your tits.
Take your own advice buddy, stop flipping out because somebody had the nerve to question your logic. Calmly I might add. Relax, hook into a low jack.

Jeez, question his logic behind something and he gets mad. Hilarious you didn't answer my question.

relax.jpg

Fair enough.

What was the question I failed to answer?
Which version of the controller you used. They have more than one.

Remember, I question the logic due to personal experience. I felt poorly about the Wii and that the controller looked awkward and uncomfortable. When I played it I ended up enjoying myself. I actually like Zelda more with the Wii motion controls than the normal way. I wasn't attacking you or saying you don't have a right to your opinion.

Which version of the controller you used. They have more than one.
I honestly do not know. It was in late June, I believe, if that makes any difference.

Remember, I question the logic due to personal experience. I felt poorly about the Wii and that the controller looked awkward and uncomfortable. When I played it I ended up enjoying myself. I actually like Zelda more with the Wii motion controls than the normal way. I wasn't attacking you or saying you don't have a right to your opinion.
To be fair, all things said in disagreement in text format look WAY more argumentative than they would in real life. And I do have a history of taking much more offense than needed. Bi-polar, self-esteem issues, small penis...whatever option you really want to go with.

I didn't hate the Wii, but I never used the motion controls accept for Skyward Sword. That game did it right. For everything else, if I could, I used the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo. For Smash Bros, that was my preferred controller method. For MOST of the games I played, I felt the motion control was poorly executed and nothing but a gimmick attached to sell more systems and/or copies of the game. You need the motion controls in any of the Mario games, they were just there so you could occasionally point and shoot little gems, or pop a balloon, or little things that didn't really add to the game experience in my opinion.

It's like the DS. I loved the oringal DS all the way up through the DSi. I even kinda liked the XL versions because I have big hands and the small systems cramped me up after awhile. But when the 3DS was Nintendo's new "break-through revolution in gaming" I rolled my eyes. The system is slightly more powerful, has the joystick, and a few other things have changed about it. On the whole it's just the next step in the DS line. Which I'm ok with, their handhelds are awesome! But they made it seem like a brand new, never before seen system. The 3D in my opinion, actually takes away from the experience for most games. I own a DSi still, because they haven't convinced me to upgrade. The games aren't that worthy of shelling out the money, when any free cash I do get is being spent on my VITA and the (finally) good games starting to come out for it. (LBPV WOOO!!)) I dont like 3D, it hurts my eyes in 10 minutes, and it's a big ole' gimmick used to sell systems that doesn't add to the gaming experience. That's my problem with the game pad - same problem with the Kinect. I don't think it's needed, nor do I think it's going to truly add (but might not detract) from the experience.

The small size of internal memory has been taken as a suggestion that Wii U will not make as much use of DLC as first thought.

Kind of a double-edged sword if true - DLC can be a way to bleed the consumer for more money but at the same time give further longevity to a game that might otherwise have had a far shorter shelf-life

Video games are too difficult these days. When a video game is more complicated than how it would actually be in real life...then it's time to throw in the towel.

I don't think that was the full list of launch games. I don't think Nintendo is dumb enough to only give you 2 games at launch. More so since some games for it will be released on the 360 and PS3 months earlier.

I beg your pardon, allow me to rephrase. Only 2 non-third party games for the launch? What happened to Pikmin 3 and the next Smash Bros?

I want to buy a Nintendo console for Nintendo exclusive games, and I'm not going to fork out £250 for another Mario rehash and a mini-game collection.

...because I have big hands

Well, you know what they say about fellas with big hands.

While we're sort of on the same topic, is the 3DS XL worth bothering with? Or have they just done the same with the DSi XL by increasing the screen size, but not the resolution?

I was unimpressed initially with the Wii as well but it came through. Nintendo hasn't failed me yet so I don't see it happening now. I'll get one if its only $350 that's a good price for a system.

-Wii U will be $350/300 in America.
-Premium bundle comes with Nintendoland and sensor bar; different than Japan
-All the Wii controllers will work with Wii U
-America will actually get Wii U on November 18th, BEFORE Japan does on December 8th. Damn son.

Demo of "Lego City: Undercover". New, original Lego game. Looks open-world ish. I loved Lego Batman 2.

Debut of "Nintendo TVii". Connects to your DVR and cable/tv box. Will be able to see everything on TV, on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and the DVR, and select a show all from your game pad. You can also program your DVR, and it's individualized for each account on the system. You can post recommendations and all that. Looks like a really cool tool for sports fans. Displays all the scores from whatever sports you want it to, and shows you the drive, stats, score, etc. and captures "moments" as thumbnails and social networking ques. Looks pretty interesting.

-video chat available for free using the game pad
-Bayonette 2 being produced exclusively for Wii U. Did not play the original, but it looked crazy.
-Video for "Wonderful 101". Weird, Mii-esk super hero thing.
-Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate for WiiU and 3DS. One of my least favorite "grind games"
-Activision shows video clips from SkyLanders: Giants, Wipeout 3, 007 Legends, and Transformers: Prime.
-Activision demoed Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. Looks like Black Ops, and they keep stressing "It's the best graphics we've ever done...ON a Nintendo system." Definitely no better than the PS3 version.
-They show names of all 50+ games available for the launch window, which is from Nov. 18 to early March. Not bad. Certainly better than any of Sony's launch windows. Lots of video clips, most notibly a new Wario Ware-type game, Pikmin 3, Zombie U and a bunch of stuff already released on other systems.

Overall not a bad press conference. I was disappointed by the higher price point, but the launch window looks impressive. My biggest thing is it just doesn't have ENOUGH to sell me on. TVii is REALLY cool, but I don't have a DVR or cable. I do use Netflix, but I've got 8 other devices that can do that. So right off the bat one of the coolest aspects won't be available to me unless I pay a lot more money to also get TV that I'm not going to watch. That's what the internet is for. Pikmin 3 and Zombie U are cool, but most of the games I'm interested in aren't WiiU exclusive. It's cooler than I thought it would be, but it simply doesn't appeal. I see no real need to switch from my PS3, which will still have at least 2 more years of use, has a bluray player, is my home media network, and has a myriad of uses with my VITA.

Video games are too difficult these days. When a video game is more complicated than how it would actually be in real life...then it's time to throw in the towel.

Video games are much, much, much, much more frustratingly easy than they used to be. When a Mario/ Donkey Kong game will literally play itself when you get stuck, and there's 45 minutes of "let me show you how..." in Pokemon, video games are too damn easy. Dont' even get me started on the amount of pandering WoW has done... Diablo III was great...for like 2 weeks. We live in a world where IGN editors give good games terrible reviews because they're "too arcady" and "too challenging it feels like the 80s". There's no "throw them in, they'll figure it out" attitude anymore. It's "let me show you everything so you can consume this and get to our next game".

I should also note, Zombie U and Epic Mickey 2 are going to be available AT LAUNCH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back