• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Royal Rumble- Undertaker Vs. Rey Mysterio - World Heavyweight Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.M.

WrestleMania Main Event

This is courtesy of WWE.com:

At the Royal Rumble, following weeks of controversy, World Heavyweight Champion Undertaker will put the title on the line against Rey Mysterio. Will the ultimate forces of darkness cast their shadows over Mysterio’s unwavering heart?

On SmackDown Christmas Night, The Master of the 619 bravely challenged The Phenom for the World Title. But, no clear winner could be declared after Batista suddenly charged into their epic battle, igniting an all-out three-way brawl. Though Mysterio was the only Superstar standing when the post-match smoke cleared, the WWE Universe remained thirsty for a definitive outcome.

Mysterio refused to be denied, roaring back to presumably win the Beat the Clock Challenge the following week and, with it, an opportunity to face The Undertaker once more at the Royal Rumble. But, controversy over his interference in The Animal’s Challenge Match demanded that a showdown take place between the two former friends before the pay-per-view main event could be decided. Their fierce match only brought further uncertainty to the situation, after both war-torn Superstars were mysteriously attacked in darkness, a sure sign that The Undertaker had decided to make his ominous presence known.

In order to finally secure a definitive challenger for The Undertaker’s crown, a Steel Cage Match was announced on SmackDown between Mysterio and Batista. And in a fire of fast-paced fury, Mysterio overcame The Animal to take his place as the true No. 1 contender.

Sometimes, even a Superstar with the greatest drive has to be careful what they wish for or they may end up resting in peace. Since recapturing the World Title, the iconic Undertaker has been operating on his own plain of existence. His silent wrath has grown beyond his legend and his ability inside the squared circle seems to have surpassed that of ordinary men. The mere idea of him strikes fear in the hearts of any Superstar that dare take him on and many doubt if anyone in WWE will ever overcome his dominance.

Despite his size however, Mysterio has shown time and time again that he refuses to be denied. A former World Champion himself, the masked Superstar has taken on and defeated some of the greatest combatants that have ever laced up the boots, utilizing an explosive combination of experience, athletic ability and unrivaled passion. The high-octane luchador has proven that, on any given night, he can overcome the odds to climb the mountain to glory.

How will The Deadman successfully defend his World Championship against the Superstar whose competitive spirit refuses to die?

Interesting, very interesting.

I'm fairly certain that Mysterio isn't going to win the title. It would be a surprise if he did, but I predict a run-in by Batista, if he doesn't somehow get added into the match between now and the 31st.

In fact, I don't really see anyone taking the title from Taker except Batista.

All that said, it should still be a reasonably entertaining match to watch. Mysterio is fun, Undertaker is excellent, both are veterans. But Taker will retain.

Ive got to agree with Doc. I wouldnt be surprised if Batista interferes in the matchup or gets added to the match itself between now and then. Personally I think the match between Rey and Taker could be very entertaining, altho I think Taker would retain. It wouldnt surprise me the least for Batista to interfere in some way or get added to the card in order to continue the feud between him and Rey and make it more personal with the "you screwed me out of the WHC" bit.

This is just semi-related but it seems odd to me that no announcers, to my knowledge, have mentioned that Taker is the current champion in regards to HBK's challenge. If Taker loses the title by Mania it's no big deal but if he doesn't then Shawn will get a free title shot. What about the Rumble winner? It could make for an interesting twist to the challenge.

I'm really of two minds about this match. First off, I have to say that everything is pointing towards Rey Mysterio not winning this match, but then, there's still time to see who does what and who looks to be on top on the episode directly before the pay-per-view. (From what I've seen so far, it's usually a safe bet that the one who gets the worst of it on the episode of their respective brand directly before a pay-per-view is most likely to come out the winner.) But looking at the history of these two, I've seen very little in terms of one-on-one matches of Rey vs. 'Taker and Rey has always fallen short (no pun intended.)

That being said, the WWE could be winding us up to believe this and attempt to pull a big "surprise" victory for Rey, having Rey come away with the championship and hold onto it for a short time, just to lose it to Batista at the next pay-per-view and set up the 'Taker/Batista feud, but with Batista starting out with the title instead of 'Taker, with Rey thrown in to carry on the feud. Another possibility is that they want to take the belt off of 'Taker so that, when he faces Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania, the title is not a part of it. There are so many possibilities here.

I highly doubt Rey takes the belt. No matter how "fun" he is to watch, or how great of a cruiserweight he was, he is NOT a convincing heavyweight champion. It didn't work that well the first tie around. He is totally not believable battling some of these giants, and doesn't have much of a character. This guy may just be the greatest mid carder WWE has ever had, but that is where his dominance should end. I cannot see, under any circumstances, them putting Rey over Taker.

I'm not buying into Rey/Undertaker (same if Tista was in the main event). There is no storyline behind it. We have the typical little guy vs big guy show. Ironically, Undertaker has always been good when paired with a smaller guy. He doesn't have to play the "big bad bully" card. Neither of these guys are good Champs for SD. Taker only shows up 1 out of every 3 shows. Rey-Rey has lost a lot of momentum and is just moving along at this point.

This was actually a perfect opportunity for either Jericho or Punk to come out and call the dead man out each and every week. Really provoke him and tell the crowd they don't believe in "ghosts and goblins". Then I would actually believe in the main event.

I'm guessing either Shawn or Batista come out and cause someone to lose. If that's not the case, then Taker has to retain. The crowd still buys into him even though he rarely shows up.

I expect that Undertaker will retain probably due to a Batista interference but if Undertaker is to lose I could see Shawn Michaels costing him the title and building up to their Wrestlemania match and that would also build Rey Mysterio and Batista for the title at mania.

I thinks I have an idea. Come monday on Raw when Taker gives his answer to Shawn I'm going for Taker to say that he would like, not say I accept but I would like to have another match with Michaels. Although, Taker will probably give Shawn the exact words that Vince gave him. Shawn has to make it happen. Taker will say he'll take Rey Mysterio's soul & retain at the Rumble but all Shawn has to do is win the Rumble match & it's on.

Theres a possible chance the HBK/Taker II might NOT happen after all. This will put Shawn in a huge whole. He's got to win the Rumble match which also includes his DX pal Triple H. He would then have to ask Triple H to step down or should I say jump over the ropes to help shawn get what he wants. It could be a start of a HBK/HHH fued to Mania. OR, how's about the world title match itself. Shawn would have to make sure that Taker retains. They could have Shawn kick Mysterio or get a DQ in there somewhere. Now if that happens & that title match comes first before the Rumble match then maybe Mysterio could show up & cause HBK to get eliminated. This could set up maybe a HBK/Mysterio at Mania. Who Know's but still I would like it & would make me want to order Mania. I for one don't want another HBK/Taker. Then I would not order. If any of what I said happens then it could be a door way for Cena to take on Taker. That fued could start with Cena costing Taker the World Title at the Elimination Chamber.

I think it's time for good old rey to own the title again. Last one was out of pity, and I think undertaker has held it for a while now and it's time for a change. I think they should make him drop it if they are going to do HBK vs Taker II, as it wouldn't make sense to put WHC on the line. I just hope Rey wins as it would be something different for the WWE and it could go really well or it could be bad. You never know, it's worth the risk (I think)

Fucking AAWWWSHHUUUUUMMMMM. How do you get your best possible little man - big man match? Why, but putting the best big guy you have against the best little guy you got. This could be truly badass if it remains interference free, and we get a batlle to the finish. Im sure we will see Rey bump like crazy, but Taker still let him seem like he has a chance. Truly looking forward to this match

I don't see Taker losing this match. What I think will most likely happen, and I don't want it to happen because this could be a good match, is Batista will interfere, costing the Rey the title. It's highly likely, Batista,Rey,and Undertaker will be in the Smackdown Elimination Chamber. Some how, Batista will come away with the belt here, and Rey and him will go at it for the title at Mania.

Back to the match, I feel this will be a good match. The match between them some weeks back on Smackdown was pretty good, and had a pretty quick pace to it.

In my mind, there is an extremely high chance of Undertaker holding onto the title until at least the Elimination Chamber. I do not think that Undertaker is a good champion, like many other people, but I'd prefer him champion over Rey. I was actually hoping Batista would win the steel cage match, only because he is a little bit interesting for the first time in 4 years. Either way, neither of them would have won. Wow, I would have preferred someone like CM Punk, Jericho, or even Kane as his opponent.

Unfortunately, though, I knew 100% Rey would get the shot. They needed a strong match that would draw fans for the Royal Rumble, besides the actual rumble match. Once I saw that the steel cage match was on at 9:51 EST, I knew that they wouldn't let Batista win in 8 minutes.

I am expecting this to be an above average match, as Undertaker works pretty well with small guys. However, Undertaker is getting really old. I am disappointed that neither of them are going to be in the Rumble match.

So the Raw brand has two heels going at it,so it only seems fitting that Smackdown has two faces going toe to toe in what could be an epic battle.

This is your classic David vs Goliath match. IMO The Undertaker vs Rey Mysterio has the potential to be great. The Dead man has slowed down over the years, but I think his game will step up for this match.I like when Taker wrestles smaller guys like Rey, Hardy, Punk or HBK, compared to the larger guys like a Batista or Big show. Speaking of Batista I hope he don't get involved in this match rather it be interfering or being added to the match. I think it needs to stay one on one. I see people say Batista has improved in the past weeks, but I cant stand the guy. If Mysterio wins I don't see him holding it for very long maybe dropping it at EC.

The move I'm waiting to mark out for is Rey goes for The West Cost Pop and The Undertaker reverses it into The Last Ride.

This match is so dependent on other plans...

-Are we gonna see Taker Vs. HBK 2 at WM26
-Rey has a knee problem, so he may not make it to WM.
-Who's winning the Rumble (is it time to move someone up)
-Still got EC to sell...so squashing Rey is not a good idea.

With that said the David Vs. Goliath thing will work well regardless of the winner, and the crowd should be hot for it (I can't see either be boo'd), and both are great at what they do=a good match. I'll pick a Rey surprise win to lead to a loss at EC.

Rey Mysterio's matches are great if his opponent knows how to work with them. You have in The Undertaker a guy that works better with little men, and I am immediately drawn to thoughts about Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels when thinking about Undertaker's best matches.

I sincerely hope Batista stays out of this match, because it has the potential to be a good one. It's going to be a Taker win, as I think they might take him into Mania with the title, but we shall wait and see.

I think this match actually has the potential to be really good. Rey Mysterio has been performing great matches constantly for a long time and Undertaker is still one of the best in the business so this could be very good. Rey can perform with just about anyone and Taker' performs well with people lighter than him so this should be good. If this stays a single's match rather than a Triple Threat then that would be alot better as I think Batista would make it shitter. Who I think the winner will be I am not entirely sure at first glance I would say Undertaker but at the moment I wouldn't be shocked if Rey actually takes the title from him as if it is HBK vs Undertaker part 2 at Wrestlemania then this way it takes the title of Undertaker.

The way I see this match going, Taker is going to retain. Rey is a great wrestler, don't get me wrong, but I've just never been able to see a guy that small as the World Heavyweight Champion. If WWE still had the Cruiserweight division .... (stupid idea to get rid of that a few years back, Hornswoggle destroyed it), but anyway...all in all I'm absolutely positive Batista is getting the belt sooner or later, and I'm sure it'll be before Wrestlemania. So here's my full prediction:

Taker retains at the Rumble after interference from Batista, then at EC Batista wins the Smackdown elimination chamber match to become the new World Heavyweight Champion. I'm not sure where that leaves Rey, but only time will tell.

I can't picture this being a great match and I'm not in the least bit excited, despite liking both of these wrestlers. The Undertaker is booked as The Phenom, one of the toughest men in the business. I see Rey as some fun. That's not a criticism of him, he has had plenty of good matches. But in this set-up, with how both are booked and viewed, I see nothing happening other than The Undertaker retaining his championship.

Nothing against Rey, but I agree with Becca here. Taker is seen as a near unstoppable force. Without using extreme maneuvers (Jeff leapfrogging a ladder into a legdrop, using chairs, etc) Taker rarely loses. If Taker gets pinned by a 619, it'll make him seem very, very weak, compared to what Batista did to Rey.

While the WWE seem to be pushing for Rey Mysterio winning the title with all those clips on smackdown of past glory, I don't think he should beat the Undertaker. Like the posters above mentioned, the Undertaker is made to be a nearly unstoppable force and I think losing to a cruiserweight would make him look weak. I think Rey Mysterio is a great wresler and deserves another world title but I think it should be againist someone that has had some great matches with him, like Batista, Chris Jericho or CM Punk

Who cares if everyone thinks the Undertaker is going to win, if you watch the business long enough, you get a pretty good idea of who is going to win night in and night out, just enjoy it.

How in the hell people aren't more pumped for this match is beyond me. Rey Mysterio has been nothing but amazing the last year in the ring, and to me was the MVP of the WWE last year, if not the wrestler of the year. The little man has hit his stride, and the important thing, stayed injury free.

Then you have the Undertaker who simply has worked wonders with anyone he has been in the ring with in recent years. The Undertaker, like Tasty says, works incredibly well with guys much smaller then him. He mentioned HBK and Hart, hell I'll go a few further. I think back to 2001 and 2002, RVD for the Hardcore Title, and Jeff Hardy for the Undisputed Championship. The Undertaker got in my opinion, the best two matches out of those two at the time.

And to steal Norcals line, The best little man vs. the Best Big man, I have high, high hopes for this match. And the interesting thing is, it has people that aren't regular fans that I know asking me about it.

Undertaker. Easily. This isn't the first time they have randomly put Mysterio into the world title match at the rumble. People will buy the PPV for the Rumble itself even if the world title feuds are bad. Taker has won world titles at Wrestlemania but never defended one. I see them having him keep it long enough to defend a world title AND his streak. As for the match sunday? It should be good because Taker is in it. If Rey wins, I riot.... lol.... I'm not always a fan of Rey's matches although it'll be good because both guys are great at what they can do in the ring. Taker's gonna win though because there is no reason for Rey to win. The idea of Taker holding the belt long enough to defend it alongside his streak is too good to pass up, so I think he'll retain.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Undertaker will retain the World Heavyweight Championship.

the animal should interfere in the match costing the undertaker the title.setting up the first real quick pace wrestlemaina in years But if Rey undertaker losing and Rey winning just wont happen no matter what the circumstances.

This is probably going to fucking rock. How do you have the best big guy - little guy match? You put your best big guy against your best little guy. Not only that, but they have done a very serious job of building this up, and casting doubt. Dare I say, this is the best built up match besides the rumble.

I dont belive Rey will pull it out, I don't. I DO belive however, he is going to give it everything possible, and this is going to be amazing. Can't wait.

Undertaker is your winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back