[Official] 2nd Bi-Annual Rock Tournament Spam Thread

Do you fit into the other category I mentioned then?

Obviously I do since I would later mention that I didn't; still, it doesn't take away from the fact that I'm not a stoner, and you said only stoners recognize Hendrix's greatness.

Hendrix was revolutionary in how he used his guitar, not what he played with it. If people use that kind of argument for him, I can support it.

I agree with you, but that's why I think so highly of him, as I'm sure most of his fans do.

The difference between guys like him and Clapton is Clapton can still hold his own with the best guitarists of today, Hendrix would make annoying sounds with his guitar for 20 fucking minutes.

Well, I think that's an unfair assumption. You never know where Hendrix would have gone if he lived. He definitely would have made improvements in his playing as the years went by, there's no doubt in my mind about that.

Can someone who actually plays guitar come in here and understand what I'm saying please?

So you have to actually play an instrument to have an opinion on something when it comes to music? I know how to use my ears, man, and I find it odd you're bringing this line out even when I haven't (nor had a chance to) argued against what you said yet (not that I will since like I said, I agree).

...hence why I said people that DON'T get Rush...not the people that do. When people don't like Rush, and I have this conversation many times, they often literally say "I just don't get it". They are definitely good enough to appeal to the masses but they have always had a strong following of actual musicians who appreciate the small nuances in their music like time signature changes and key changes etc etc.

You also said this:

"I've always said D-Man that the only people who really appreciate Rush are musicians."

Tell me who they're full of fail please. I guarantee I can make a very strong argument for any artist I pick.

Because you're making assumptions why people like someone, and you're also using the "I play an instrument" card already. This shit will not work in the tourney. In fact, it's only going to turn people off from your position.

Just use your intelligence and the actual music when it comes to your arguments, not "holier than thou" tactics because you actually know how to play the guitar or drums.

If Flea doesn't win that, it'll be a huge upset. Not because he's actually good, but because of what people say.

Obviously I do since I would later mention that I didn't; still, it doesn't take away from the fact that I'm not a stoner, and you said only stoners recognize Hendrix's greatness.

I said stoners or people that don't play guitar. I'm not saying that people who don't play any instruments have no right to an opinion on music, not saying that at all. A very large majority of people don't. I'm just saying that the musicians that I know personally and respect all agree that Hendrix is overrated.

I agree with you, but that's why I think so highly of him, as I'm sure most of his fans do.

Good. I have nothing against Hendrix but when people talk up his skills like crazy it just bugs me. Revolutionary for sure but skills wise there were a handful of guitarist who could have shown him up.

Well, I think that's an unfair assumption. You never know where Hendrix would have gone if he lived. He definitely would have made improvements in his playing as the years went by, there's no doubt in my mind about that.

That could be said about any musician though right? Fact is, a musician dying does more for their legacy then anything they would have accomplished if they had lived longer could do. Musicians become vastly overrated after their death a lot of the time and I feel that he is one of them.

So you have to actually play an instrument to have an opinion on something when it comes to music? I know how to use my ears, man, and I find it odd you're bringing this line out even when I haven't (nor had a chance to) argued against what you said yet (not that I will since like I said, I agree).

No, definitely not. Just pointing out, and it would be hard to find people that would disagree, people who write and play music are going to be more inclined to bands that have a stronger sense of musicianship. Like Rush. Anyone can enjoy any type of music, it's a universal thing.

You also said this:

"I've always said D-Man that the only people who really appreciate Rush are musicians."

Because you're making assumptions why people like someone, and you're also using the "I play an instrument" card already. This shit will not work in the tourney. In fact, it's only going to turn people off from your position.

Bad wording on my behalf, you're right. Dammit.

What I should have said is Rush has gone unappreciated to the extent they should be appreciated because there aren't as many fans that can get into their music compared to, oh say, Queen. If that makes any sense. Look at it this way: People who understand film better than your average American movie goer are going to get more out of a film that isn't your average popcorn flick no? That is just a general statement rather than a fact obviously, but I'm sure you understand that point I'm trying to get across. Anybody can like anything, but there will be certain people that are drawn in to a band for certain reasons.

Just use your intelligence and the actual music when it comes to your arguments, not "holier than thou" tactics because you actually know how to play the guitar or drums.

It has nothing to do with me thinking I'm better than anyone or that my opinions should be valued more. But would you listen to someone who has never seen war time action talk about it or NorCal? Nobodies opinions count or matter more than anyone else. I don't want it to seem like that is what I am trying to do. I'm saying that because I have 15 years of musical background and work that any arguments I make will have merit because I know what the fuck I'm talking about, not because I'm better than anyone.

Who will actually win:

Mercury/Hendrix/Flea/Moon/ the next one is a bit of a mystery.

Sounds about right. I would be very happy with Mercury winning and I wouldn't mind if Moon won. I will be incredibly bummed if Hendrix wins, same with Flea. Bass is perhaps the most misunderstood instrument in popular music at least so I can see a lot of people going with one of the only bassists they know by name...Flea.

Do you fit into the other category I mentioned then?

Hendrix was revolutionary in how he used his guitar, not what he played with it. If people use that kind of argument for him, I can support it. The difference between guys like him and Clapton is Clapton can still hold his own with the best guitarists of today, Hendrix would make annoying sounds with his guitar for 20 fucking minutes.

Can someone who actually plays guitar come in here and understand what I'm saying please?

...hence why I said people that DON'T get Rush...not the people that do. When people don't like Rush, and I have this conversation many times, they often literally say "I just don't get it". They are definitely good enough to appeal to the masses but they have always had a strong following of actual musicians who appreciate the small nuances in their music like time signature changes and key changes etc etc.

Tell me who they're full of fail please. I guarantee I can make a very strong argument for any artist I pick. Honestly, I'd want to get Gaga in her just to piss people off. But in the end I think I would just end up pissing myself of ha. I get very protective :)

Kinda get what you mean but there again that man was just not about the gimmicks of burning guitars and playing it between his legs or with his teeth ( things btw that he picked up from other blues musicians) but there was a richness in his material.

I have DVD of his and at some '68 shows he goes way off, and keeps playing there and then incorporates that into the song. He could think on his feet on stage at improvising a solo even when he fucked up or make some smart-ass comment to rectify.

Voodoo Chile (NOT HOGAN-VOODOO CHILD) is a 15 minute master-piece by the man. the late 60's and all of 70's were all about improvisation and electric live performances on the rock scene and this guy is certainly a pioneer.

Rush, I've heard so much about them haven't gotta chance to hear them out except for Working Man. I just know this, if they are a three man band, they must be tight as hell and be very accomplished musicians.

lol @ Slash.

Just....no. I'm sure he'll make it in but talk about overrated.

Yeah I cant say I disagree with you. While he is a great guitarist and my personal favourite he is overrated, I mean for people (and there are plenty out there) to suggest that he is the undisputed greatest guitar player of all time or basically anywhere in the top 10 is just ridiculous. As much as I love him I won't even pretend that is anywhere near the case.

If Flea doesn't win that, it'll be a huge upset. Not because he's actually good, but because of what people say.

I tossed Flea into the pot because he really IS a great bass player. Now, is he as good as Geddy Lee? That remains to be seen. They both rank up there, in my opinion.

:lmao:

Geddy Lee & John Entwistle > Flea

All day every day.

It's a close one but it's difficult to determine. Both bass players were from completely different bands with completely different tastes in music. The styles were different, the sound was different... it's almost like the boxer versus the slugger (the boxer being Geddy, of course).

However, we really need to throw Les Claypool of Primus into the mix. As much as I hated Primus, the guy was a BEAST on the bass.

/thread

I tossed Flea into the pot because he really IS a great bass player. Now, is he as good as Geddy Lee? That remains to be seen. They both rank up there, in my opinion.

Flea is absolutely an awesome bassist. Amazing an incorporating great slap bass style funk into rock songs. That's pretty much his bag though and I haven't heard enough different styles from him to place him above Geddy Lee.

It's a close one but it's difficult to determine. Both bass players were from completely different bands with completely different tastes in music. The styles were different, the sound was different... it's almost like the boxer versus the slugger (the boxer being Geddy, of course).

That's what makes all this so interesting. When talking about Geddy though, there are few musicians who rival his technical abilities. As a musician yourself D, and a Rush fan, I'm sure you understand exactly what I'm saying.

However, we really need to throw Les Claypool of Primus into the mix. As much as I hated Primus, the guy was a BEAST on the bass.

Agreed. Hate Primus but Claypool is a beast.

Flea is absolutely an awesome bassist. Amazing an incorporating great slap bass style funk into rock songs. That's pretty much his bag though and I haven't heard enough different styles from him to place him above Geddy Lee.

That's what makes all this so interesting. When talking about Geddy though, there are few musicians who rival his technical abilities. As a musician yourself D, and a Rush fan, I'm sure you understand exactly what I'm saying.

Agreed. Hate Primus but Claypool is a beast.

As if I didn't respect Armbar enough before... now I want to bang him.

As if I didn't respect Armbar enough before... now I want to bang him.

Yeah I've had the feeling you wanted to for a while now.

I will be backing Rush in every category except vocals. I can't really put my heart into that one. I'm a massive Queen fan and would love to see Mercury win but it's almost tooo easy. Thinking about backing someone else for that one.

Also a question: Are we including solo rock artists in this? Since Clapton will undoubtedly be brought up and rightfully so. Also, would Michael Jackson be considered rock enough?

Yeah I've had the feeling you wanted to for a while now.

Let's party.

I will be backing Rush in every category except vocals. I can't really put my heart into that one. I'm a massive Queen fan and would love to see Mercury win but it's almost tooo easy. Thinking about backing someone else for that one.

Geddy would NEVER win for best vocals. As good as they were, his vocals were still the weakest part of that band and one of the biggest reasons for people's dislike for them.

Freddie Mercury, Steve Perry, Rob Halford, or the late Ronnie James Dio for the vocal win.

Also a question: Are we including solo rock artists in this? Since Clapton will undoubtedly be brought up and rightfully so. Also, would Michael Jackson be considered rock enough?

Anyone can be included as long as they fall into the categories that IC25 chose. Some might be in multiple categories.

Let's party.

Be there in ten.

Geddy would NEVER win for best vocals. As good as they were, his vocals were still the weakest part of that band and one of the biggest reasons for people's dislike for them.

On the fucking money. Exactly.

Freddie Mercury, Steve Perry, Rob Halford, or the late Ronnie James Dio for the vocal win.

Take Halford and Perry out and replace them with Daltry and Bruce Dickenson. How has no one mentioned Iron fucking Maiden yet? Or fucking Lemmy Kilmister?

Anyone can be included as long as they fall into the categories that IC25 chose. Some might be in multiple categories.

MJ is my favorite musician of all time. I will back him in vocals but it might be hard to sell people on since many won't consider him ''rock''.

I just posted a list of a fuck-ton of frontmen who we will consider.

Each artist can only be in ONE region. For example, Les Claypool will NOT be a part of the singer / frontmen region, but he WILL be in with the bassists.

I haven't decided if Phil Collins will be a singer / frontman or a drummer.

I have included artists mainly from rock, as well as some pop / reggae / rap that have transcended their art to be included her as well. Think of this as a VH1 style tournament. I included Tupac Shakur and George Clinton, as well as Michael Jackson.

Take Halford and Perry out and replace them with Daltry and Bruce Dickenson. How has no one mentioned Iron fucking Maiden yet? Or fucking Lemme Killmeister?

All of these names are in.

D-Man and I frequently agree that Steve Perry may be one of the 5 best pure vocalists in rock history. It's hard to deny his vocal range, control, and power.

Take Halford and Perry out and replace them with Daltry and Bruce Dickenson. How has no one mentioned Iron fucking Maiden yet? Or fucking Lemmy Kilmister?

FUCK... how did I leave out Dickenson?!? Absol-fucking-lutely, he should be in this.

MJ is my favorite musician of all time. I will back him in vocals but it might be hard to sell people on since many won't consider him ''rock''.

That's quite a stretch unless you count "Beat It", considering the guitar solo was done by Van Halen.

Each artist can only be in ONE region. For example, Les Claypool will NOT be a part of the singer / frontmen region, but he WILL be in with the bassists.

I haven't decided if Phil Collins will be a singer / frontman or a drummer.

I have included artists mainly from rock, as well as some pop / reggae / rap that have transcended their art to be included her as well. Think of this as a VH1 style tournament. I included Tupac Shakur and George Clinton, as well as Michael Jackson.

Damn that's a tough one with Phil Collins. I'd personally put him in with the drummers because he's incredibly underrated in that category but he'd do slightly better in the frontman category but I still don't see him going far.

If MJ is included, will Elvis or Cash be as well?

I haven't decided if Phil Collins will be a singer / frontman or a drummer

I smell some pre-tournament polls...

(...well, either that or IC's Beast aftershave. It helps him smeel mainly.)

Damn that's a tough one with Phil Collins. I'd personally put him in with the drummers because he's incredibly underrated in that category but he'd do slightly better in the frontman category but I still don't see him going far.

Hopefully, no one takes this the wrong way, but Phil Collins will go nowhere in the drum category. These tourneys are glorified popularity contests and Phil is more well-known as a singer. He should be placed in the category where he would excel the most.

FUCK... how did I leave out Dickenson?!? Absol-fucking-lutely, he should be in this.

Everyone loves Maiden but for some reason they are always overlooked. And personally, I may be one of the few on Earth who like Paul Dianno (Maiden's original singer) over Dickenson. Very few people agree with me there.

That's quite a stretch unless you count "Beat It", considering the guitar solo was done by Van Halen.

Not a stretch at all. Most of the tracks on Bad were rock songs. Dirty Diana, Leave Me Alone, Smooth Criminal, all rock songs.

Hopefully, no one takes this the wrong way, but Phil Collins will go nowhere in the drum category. These tourneys are glorified popularity contests and Phil is more well-known as a singer. He should be placed in the category where he would excel the most.

Yeah that's what I was saying. Same reasons Hendrix will get a shit ton of love when there were a handful of guitarists at the time who were better writers and over all more skilled then he was. I would not hesitate to make the argument that Clapton was a more influential guitarist than Hendrix as well.

Shit I just looked at the frontman list and this is going to be way harder than I thought it was going to be. So many names I didn't think of that should be recognized. I just hope that names like Chuck Berry and Little Richard get looked over because they aren't as popular as Mercury or Marley and so on.

Yeah that's what I was saying. Same reasons Hendrix will get a shit ton of love when there were a handful of guitarists at the time who were better writers and over all more skilled then he was. I would not hesitate to make the argument that Clapton was a more influential guitarist than Hendrix as well.

That's where I draw the line. Hendrix influenced MANY more artists than Clapton did. Granted, Clapton was a better guitar player but Hendrix did more for guitar playing than anyone could imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back