• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NCAA College Football 2014 - LD

Notre Dame drops to #10 because they don't have many "quality wins" yet Alabama's only win over a ranked opponent at the time of playing them is Texas A&M. What a joke.

At least they put Ole Miss and Oregon over them. However, Ole Miss looked awful against LSU.

Also, Marshal wasn't even in the top 25. They have played nobody, but they at least deserve a spot in the 20's for playing their schedule.

Full list for the lazy.

1. Mississippi State
  2. Florida State
  3. Auburn
  4. Ole Miss
  5. Oregon
  6. Alabama
  7. TCU
  8. Michigan State
  9. Kansas State
  10. Notre Dame
  11. Georgia
  12. Arizona
  13. Baylor
  14. Arizona State
  15. Nebraska
  16. Ohio State
  17. Utah
  18. Oklahoma
  19. LSU
  20. West Virginia
  21. Clemson
  22. UCLA
  23. East Carolina
  24. Duke
  25. Louisville

For comparison, here is the AP poll.

1. Mississippi State (46)
  2. Florida State (14)
  3. Alabama
  4. Auburn
  5. Oregon
  6. Notre Dame
  7. Ole Miss
  8. Michigan State
  9. Georgia
  10. TCU
  11. Kansas State
  12. Baylor
  13. Ohio State
  14. Arizona
  15. Arizona State
  16. LSU
  17. Nebraska
  18. Utah
  19. Oklahoma
  20. West Virginia
  21. East Carolina
  22. Clemson
  23. Marshall
  24. Duke
  25. UCLA

One thing that does strike me as appealing from these polls (proven by Ole Miss' ranking) is that if you lose to a lower-ranked team in a nail-biter it doesn't completely screw you over in the rankings. That is one thing that always bugged me about the BCS ranking system was that it seemed like losses later in the season held more weight than losses earlier in the year.

Hopefully that type of approach will carry on fairly among all teams.

Notre Dame drops to #10 because they don't have many "quality wins" yet Alabama's only win over a ranked opponent at the time of playing them is Texas A&M. What a joke.

At least they put Ole Miss and Oregon over them. However, Ole Miss looked awful against LSU.
:lmao:

Cant wait for Sly to see this. 4 SEC teams in the top 6 wasnt enough. 4 SEC WEST teams in the top 6.
Yes, how awful are the initial rankings? My favorite part is where I go on ESPN comments section after reading the article and see the SEC faithful talking about how Notre Dame hasn't played anyone. Then I go look at Ole Miss schedule and see:

Boise St.
Vanderbilt
LA-Lafayette
Memphis
Alabama (only good team)
A&M
Tennessee
LSU (loss)

I never realized LA-Lafayette is better than Stanford or that a 2 loss LSU was better than the undefeated defending national champions. But hey, that's just one team, how about another?

Alabama:
West Virginia (average)
Florida Atlantic
Southern Miss
Florida
Ole Miss (loss)
Arkansas
A&M
Tennessee

Apparently Florida Atlantic and Southern Miss are better than Michigan and North Carolina. Who knew, right?

College football has simply become an SEC circle jerk. It's asinine. The only solace I take is the knowledge there cannot be more than one undefeated and 1 one loss team at the max from the SEC. There's no question the SEC will have two teams in because they draw ratings. But at least they shouldn't get more than two.
One thing that does strike me as appealing from these polls (proven by Ole Miss' ranking) is that if you lose to a lower-ranked team in a nail-biter it doesn't completely screw you over in the rankings.
If, however, you travel to the defending national champions' home field and lose on an iffy call, it absolutely kills you in the rankings.

The whole system is a joke. I hope every SEC team takes home at least two losses, that way when they put two SEC teams in the final four playoff anyways, everyone will realize what a joke it is.

2 things:

1) Getting our panties in a bunch over the initial rankings is a waste of breath. Only reason we got them is because of the pressure brought by ESPN. In 3 weeks we won't remember where these teams were ranked.

2) When ND's best win is a close loss (on a clear DPI) they don't have much room to complain. UM is awful, UNC and Stanford are one dimensional (on opposite sides of the ball) and ND skated by them. They'll get their chance to move up with games against ASU, Louisville, and USC, but let's not act like their resume is all that impressive.

2) When ND's best win is a close loss (on a clear DPI) they don't have much room to complain.
They do when their resume is just as good, if not better, than those ahead of them.

Alabama, for example...

UM is awful, UNC and Stanford are one dimensional (on opposite sides of the ball) and ND skated by them.
Michigan, UNC and Stanford are still equal to or better than:

Florida Atlantic
Southern Miss
Texas A&M
Arkansas
Tennessee

Hell, Alabama's sole loss was to a 2 loss Ole Miss team, whereas Notre Dame's only loss was on the road at the defending national champions.

And, honestly, the complaint is not so much where Notre Dame is, but why they are there.

They'll get their chance to move up with games against ASU, Louisville, and USC, but let's not act like their resume is all that impressive.
The SEC West has as many wins against UL Monroe and Southern Miss (2 of each) as they do against all Power conference teams COMBINED (Bama/W. Virginia, Auburn/K-State, LSU/Wisconsin, Arkansas/T. Tech). Mississippi St.'s brutal battle next week is against 5-5 Tennessee-Martin of the OVC.

If we're going to talk about who has an impressive resume, then we probably ought to start outside of the SEC. Notre Dame, for example, has never played an FCS school in its entire history...every team from the SEC West has at least 1 this year.

College football and the SEC bias has become the biggest circular argument in sports today.

So if today didn't show just how overrated the SEC is, I don't know what will. Their top rated team (Auburn) got defeated by a horrible A&M team after fumbling twice at the end of the game, LSU and Alabama played an absolutely terrible game against each other (unofficially, I think I counted more drops and personal fouls than first downs) and both Mississippi State and Ole Miss played FCS schools the second week of November. And I'm not sure anyone in the SEC East could finish above .500 in either the Pac 12 or the Big 12.

What a joke the "SEC is great" narrative is turning out to be.

NFL teams play too few games and I just don't understand the need for the subdivisions if the teams are going play teams from other divisions anyway. Just have it as two leagues of 16, with the top four in each reaching the playoffs.

MLB and NBA play too many games and too many subdivisions.

In NCAA football, the top teams are chosen by opinion from divisions of different size.

Барбоса;5038871 said:
NFL teams play too few games and I just don't understand the need for the subdivisions if the teams are going play teams from other divisions anyway. Just have it as two leagues of 16, with the top four in each reaching the playoffs.

In NCAA football, the top teams are chosen by opinion from divisions of different size.
quit it with this logic thing you are trying. American Sports are filled with stupid.

Baseball needs to drop to 144 or 150 games, NBA/NHL to 70, and NFL should go to 18 with 2 bye weeks.

NCAA Football actually would be the best of all scenarios if they played a 16 team playoff. A group of people shouldn't choose who is eligible for a championship, just the ranking for a tourney.

Барбоса;5038871 said:

They can only play so many before their bodies break down. The divisions help set up the playoffs.

True on those, especially the NBA.

This is by far the best NCAA system we've had in a long time. The others were a mess.

He may be stepping down...but he's fired. Muschamp even said he did not win enough games to keep his job. I believe he'll be getting a substantial buyout, so no tear for him.

ESPN's front page:

Rising Above The Competition
With others failing to impress, Alabama and Oregon were Saturday's biggest winners

Oh here we go....

Tide prove they're a perfect No. 1 in flawed contender group

In the year of the flawed, Alabama might be the ideal No. 1. It's a team that gives up 630 yards -- and wins. It's a team that turns the ball over three times -- and wins. It's a team that spots its archrival a 12-point lead, dominates the fourth quarter -- and wins.

It's the same damn thing FSU does and they are undefeated. But wait...

But, really, find another team that best captures 2014, an exciting season that happens to have two left feet. Florida State, going undefeated while achieving the football equivalent of a 2.0 GPA? The Seminoles skate by so well they might win College Football Playoff and the Frozen Four.

"IT'S NOT IN THE SEC! THE SEC IS FOR MEN! RAH RAH RAH!"

TCU or Baylor (choose one)? What about Ohio State, with its loss to Virginia Tech and its quarterback in a cast? Arizona, which is 0-2 against Los Angeles and 10-0 against the rest of the country?

Ohio State has been one of the, if not most dominant teams since their loss. Look how he conveniently leaves out Oregon.

The rest of the column just rambles.

Please Missouri. PLEASE!!!!!!! Beat Alabama and end this shit.

So Bama, Oregon, FSU, and OSU. The big XII-I-I-II+I+I will be punished for not having a title game.

So Bama, Oregon, FSU, and OSU. The big XII-I-I-II+I+I will be punished for not having a title game.

Which is dumb since every team in the Big 12 plays every other team in the Big 12.

TCU deserves a spot more than Ohio State, even if it's not Ohio State's fault they are down to their third string QB.

I agree, but this committee had an agenda probably more shady than the BCS Pollsters. I have a hard time believing they'll leave a 1 loss Big Ten Team out, even though the Big 12 teams pass every eye ball test imaginable.

I agree, but this committee had an agenda probably more shady than the BCS Pollsters. I have a hard time believing they'll leave a 1 loss Big Ten Team out, even though the Big 12 teams pass every eye ball test imaginable.
It'll never happen, but the best scenario would be Missouri beating Alabama. Assuming Oregon, Ohio State and TCU take care of business (as well as Baylor), that would all but assure no SEC teams, but the other conferences being represented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back