NCAA College Football 2014 - LD

So many third downs (and fourth downs, for that matter) converted. So many linebackers being straight run over for those first downs. So many broken tackles. So many dropped passes. So many critical penatlies at critical times.

Perhaps the most frustrating part is that Ohio State had a playbook of roughly about 3 fucking plays, and Oregon did fuck all to adapt to them. That counter trey play only gained about 500 yards right up the fucking middle, perhaps we should stack the middle, and make the QB on his third start win the game?
This is what I didn't understand. Oregon's defensive play calling was just puzzling to me. How many times on 3rd and 5 did Oregon only rush three lineman, giving Jones as much time as he needed to throw? How many times did the outside linebackers prevent an outside run...when Ohio State mostly ran inside?

I just didn't understand their playcalling. It reminded me of Mizzou vs. Auburn in the SEC Championship last year, where no matter what defense Missouri called, it was the wrong call for that play.

This also proves every single thing I have ever said about Marcus Mariota. 110% system player. The moment the system did not overwhelm the opponent he in no way, at any time, seemed ever close to capable of taking over that game himself. Not even close.
I have to disagree with this.

Oregon's receiver corps was hit earlier in the week when redshirt freshman Darren Carrington was declared ineligible for the game because of a failed NCAA drug test. Carrington did not travel to Texas for the biggest game of the season. The team already had lost freshman receiver Devon Allen, who also runs on Oregon's track team, on the opening kickoff of the Ducks' 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl Game Presented by Northwestern Mutual.

Junior tight end Pharaoh Brown had six touchdown passes for the Ducks this season before he sustained a season-ending knee injury against Utah. And before the season started, junior receiver Bralon Addison tore a ligament in his left knee.

That left Oregon, which regularly uses three- and four-receiver formations, with just Dwayne Stanford, Keanon Lowe, Charles Nelson and converted running back Byron Marshall.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...rcus-mariota-oregon-ducks-undecided-nfl-draft

It makes things harder when you have receivers who struggle to get open and then drop the ball when they do. Whether Mariota is a system QB or not (and I think he would be a great QB anywhere) simply could not be determined in that game last night, I don't believe.

Congrats Playoff committee. The right call was clearly made.
I disagree with this also. Actually, I disagree with HOW they came to those four teams. And I still would love to see TCU match up with anyone in the playoffs.

I am just going off of the fact that he in no way looked capable of pulling off a great individual performance. Great players make those around them better. Mariota looked like just another overwhelmed player out there last night.

I disagree on TCU, since I basically see them as Oregon-lite. They would have gotten smacked up just as badly, if not worse. If they had played Oregon for an opportunity as well? There isn't a scoreboard that can go high enough for the points Oregon would have put on them.

I've never cared for that argument of "this win validates moving them above this team." Not really, as all it proves is that Ohio State can beat Oregon and Alabama. It doesn't mean they're better or more deserving to be here than TCU.

True, but it is really hard to validate anything in football. It is a strange game where time, luck, and human error can influence the outcome greatly. Metrics don't work. If they did I would argue that TCU gave up 61 points in a single game this season. 61 points!

Can we at least all agree (not necessarily you KB) that this committee didnt do a bad job, wasn't trying to fix things for the SEC, and probably knows more about football than any member of this forum (this is assuming Knife Rockne is not a member of this forum)?

True, but it is really hard to validate anything in football. It is a strange game where time, luck, and human error can influence the outcome greatly. Metrics don't work. If they did I would argue that TCU gave up 61 points in a single game this season. 61 points!

Can we at least all agree (not necessarily you KB) that this committee didnt do a bad job, wasn't trying to fix things for the SEC, and probably knows more about football than any member of this forum (this is assuming Knife Rockne is not a member of this forum)?

I'll give you 2/3. The teams they selected were fine and they weren't rigging it for the SEC, but I have yet to hear a valid reason for Condoleeza Rice being on the committee. Until then, I have an issue with how the committee is put together.

I'll give you 2/3. The teams they selected were fine and they weren't rigging it for the SEC, but I have yet to hear a valid reason for Condoleeza Rice being on the committee. Until then, I have an issue with how the committee is put together.

Why because she is black and a woman?!?!? I kid, I kid.

I don't know enough about her football knowledge to justify my comment but I still think she could have just been there in case one of the committee members wanted to have a discussion on nuclear proliferation and still believe this committee as a whole knows football pretty well.

Although Keith Jackson should have done play by play for the committee meetings.

I am just going off of the fact that he in no way looked capable of pulling off a great individual performance.
He was 24-37 for 333 yards and 2 TDs and no INTs (until the last heave), with at LEAST 3 major drops at key moments. He also ran 10 times for 39 yards, with one of those "runs" being a sack for a loss of 5 yards.

I think Mariota played quite well, especially considering two of his top 3 receivers didn't play, nor did his top TE who grabbed over 400 yards receiving.

Great players make those around them better.
And as the old saying goes, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. LeBron is finding that out in Cleveland this year.

I don't know if Mariota would be a Heisman somewhere else, but I have no doubt he would be a great QB anywhere.

And as the old saying goes, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

I don't know if Mariota would be a Heisman somewhere else, but I have no doubt he would be a great QB anywhere.

Great players do.

And an above-average college QB, perhaps. I imagine he would have the same profile as say, just below a Brett Hundley, just above Matty Mauk.

I think our opinions are closer than it would appear.

I just need to jump off a bridge today.
I swear Cincy and Toledo or like other planets. Go anywhere else in Ohio, and OSU football is an absolute and appropriately revered way of life, yet in either city I mentioned, there's mostly vitriol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back