NCAA College Football 2014 - LD

Don't sully ND's fantastic, gritty showing by trying to act like that wasn't BLATANT offensive pass interference.
It was no different than what you see all the time. I'm not saying it was the wrong call, only an arbitrary one, especially given what they had let go earlier in the drive.

Oh, and I'm not sure I like the term "gritty" performance. A "gritty" performance is usually codeword for an inferior team taking a superior team to the max. Notre Dame showed they were every bit as physical and every bit as fast and athletic as Florida State was.

I enjoy how this was stated as a mere formality
And if they didn't throw the flag they would have won.

Of course they did throw the flag because it is illegal to block downfield on passes. Blatant OPI. Can't complain.

ND shouldn't fall all that far after this loss. Bama will jump them (as they should after that thrashing), but with their only loss being a thriller against the #1 team in the country (yes FSU should jump Miss. St) They will probably still be top 8. Especially considering Baylor losing by 2 scores to unranked West Virginia.

Playoffs are most likely out of the question barring a miracle but ND proved they are legit this year, and next year if/when Golson comes back they'll be a title contender.

Playoffs are most likely out of the question
They shouldn't be.

Ole Miss and Miss. St. still have to play. Assuming Notre Dame doesn't falter, their only loss will be on the road to the defending national champions. They have played a decent schedule (every bit as good as most SEC teams) so there's no reason they should be out of the playoffs.

next year if/when Golson comes back they'll be a title contender.
They have almost EVERYONE coming back. Dad and I were going through it tonight. Everybody on defense is coming back or will be replaced by someone better. On offense, they are just losing Lombard, Koyack, and McDaniel. Losing McDaniel isn't going to hurt, and everyone else will be a year older and better.

ND should be very tough next year.

They shouldn't be.

Ole Miss and Miss. St. still have to play. Assuming Notre Dame doesn't falter, their only loss will be on the road to the defending national champions. They have played a decent schedule (every bit as good as most SEC teams) so there's no reason they should be out of the playoffs.
I just don't see the CFP not putting in 2 SEC teams whether they deserve it or not. If 2 SEC teams get in then you have FSU (unless they falter) and one more team, most likely Oregon, even if they don't deserve it.

They have almost EVERYONE coming back. Dad and I were going through it tonight. Everybody on defense is coming back or will be replaced by someone better. On offense, they are just losing Lombard, Koyack, and McDaniel. Losing McDaniel isn't going to hurt, and everyone else will be a year older and better.

ND should be very tough next year.
The McDaniel loss is bigger than you make it out to be. Sure Folston has earned the clear-cut #1 back in the offense, but McDaniel is a glue guy and a dependable blocker, something Folston has failed to do rather badly.

Of course there is one guy they can lose that will cause massive implications to their National Championship hopes. Brian Kelly. ND has fought off the NFL for a while but eventually someone will come with an offer he can't refuse and he'll jump. Maybe it won't be after this season, but it could be, and if he does leave I wouldn't be surprised if Golson follows suit to keep his draft stock as high as possible.

I just don't see the CFP not putting in 2 SEC teams whether they deserve it or not.
So ridiculous is the SEC love.

The McDaniel loss is bigger than you make it out to be. Sure Folston has earned the clear-cut #1 back in the offense, but McDaniel is a glue guy and a dependable blocker, something Folston has failed to do rather badly.
Meh...the "dependable" guys are always a dime a dozen, especially at a place like Notre Dame. I'm not that worried about losing McDaniel.

Of course there is one guy they can lose that will cause massive implications to their National Championship hopes. Brian Kelly. ND has fought off the NFL for a while but eventually someone will come with an offer he can't refuse and he'll jump. Maybe it won't be after this season, but it could be, and if he does leave I wouldn't be surprised if Golson follows suit to keep his draft stock as high as possible.
I don't see either of those things happening. But even if they did, they have so much talent, they'll be able to attract a top coach. It's not like a few years ago, when they had to hope someone could turn them around. Notre Dame is flat out loaded with talent, so coaches can just come and coach a ready made winner.

As far as Golson...meh. Obviously Golson is a very good quarterback, but Zaire supposedly played very well in spring ball and practices.

Oh, and I'm not sure I like the term "gritty" performance. A "gritty" performance is usually codeword for an inferior team taking a superior team to the max. Notre Dame showed they were every bit as physical and every bit as fast and athletic as Florida State was.

I honestly saw it as the other way around. But I cant disagree with your assertion either.

It was no different than what you see all the time. I'm not saying it was the wrong call, only an arbitrary one, especially given what they had let go earlier in the drive.

It was though, wasnt it. He was engaged into that guy beyond five yards like he was a fucking blocking sled. It also wasnt in the name of getting open, they were obviously blocking for the route behind them.

If ND wins out, there is no reason for them to not make the final four. Taking the defending national champs almost as down to the wire as humanly possible being their only loss shouldn't disqualify them.

I honestly saw it as the other way around. But I cant disagree with your assertion either.
What do you mean "other way around"? Like Notre Dame wasn't as physically talented as FSU?
It was though, wasnt it.
No, it really wasn't.

He was engaged into that guy beyond five yards like he was a fucking blocking sled.
Ignoring for a moment the defender initiated contact (which means the receiver has much more leniency to get open) and the fact the defender was holding Prosise, Prosise did not run into Robinson's defender, but rather was running a route against his own defender. No, he wasn't trying very hard to evade the defender, but considering no one was even looking at Robinson, what happened between Prosise and his defender really had no effect on the play. And Fuller's defender clearly wasn't trying to cover Robinson.

It was arbitrary. Here's a good look at it from the side:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/florida-state-notre-dame-pass-interference-call

If ND wins out, there is no reason for them to not make the final four. Taking the defending national champs almost as down to the wire as humanly possible being their only loss shouldn't disqualify them.
I agree completely. I doubt the SEC bias will though.

What do you mean "other way around"? Like Notre Dame wasn't as physically talented as FSU?
No, it really wasn't.

Ignoring for a moment the defender initiated contact (which means the receiver has much more leniency to get open) and the fact the defender was holding Prosise, Prosise did not run into Robinson's defender, but rather was running a route against his own defender. No, he wasn't trying very hard to evade the defender, but considering no one was even looking at Robinson, what happened between Prosise and his defender really had no effect on the play. And Fuller's defender clearly wasn't trying to cover Robinson.

It was arbitrary. Here's a good look at it from the side:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/florida-state-notre-dame-pass-interference-call

I felt like it was clear and present that FSU has superior athletes, but that ND was just as good or better of a football team. I know you understand what I mean on that sort of thing, perhaps not for this specific instance, but in general.

And just because the defender iniates contact doesnt make it ok to block him like its a punt return :lmao: BOTH receivers were fully engaged in a block, driving defenders backwards. Its not even close. They were clearly making no attempt whatsoever to get open on a route. You admit (as much as you will allow yourself to, anyway) that much yourself.

I agree it had no effect on the play though, or at the very least, wasn't necessary.....which makes the players breaking the rules even more dumb. Dont blame it on the refs for enforcing the rules.

If the call was reveresed (IE it was FSU driving, and scored the winning TD on the same exact play) ND fans would be rioting in the streets. With good reason. Act like they wouldn't :lmao:

Honestly, to me, it was one of those penalties where I don't mind that it was called, but also wouldn't have minded if it wasn't (I mean, unless I had a real dog in the fight, of course).

I felt like it was clear and present that FSU has superior athletes, but that ND was just as good or better of a football team. I know you understand what I mean on that sort of thing, perhaps not for this specific instance, but in general.
I do, but I completely disagree.

ND's defensive line dominated FSU's offensive line in the first half. FSU's defensive line rarely got pressure on Golson and, when they did, it was usually more because of coverage than because of beating ND's line. Notre Dame ran for 157 yards to FSU's 50. Golson completed 60% of his passes and several of the ones he didn't complete had nothing to do with defense.

I didn't see FSU having superior athletes at all.

And just because the defender iniates contact doesnt make it ok to block him like its a punt return
But it DOES mean that both guys were fighting for position and it DOES mean the defender was not trying to cover Robinson.

BOTH receivers were fully engaged in a block
Fuller, who supposedly is the one they officially called it on, was running his route. So unless you're going to say that a receiver can no longer run his route because a defender decides to guard him, I'm not exactly sure what you think he should do.

They were clearly making no attempt whatsoever to get open on a route.
But they WERE making receiver type moves and NEITHER man had his hands up in the form of a block. Furthermore, neither man blocked the defensive back who was supposed to be covering Robnson.

It was a completely arbitrary call.

I agree it had no effect on the play though, or at the very least, wasn't necessary.....which makes the players breaking the rules even more dumb. Dont blame it on the refs for enforcing the rules.
But they weren't enforcing the rules because they didn't call the penalty on PJ Williams when he tore his helmet off his head.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the refs were out to cheat ND. And I'm not saying I don't understand what they called or why they called it. I do. I'm just saying it was a completely arbitrary call on something which had no real effect on the play, but COMPLETELY changed the game.

I think Brian Kelly said it best, "But again, the play itself, in terms of what we ask our kids to do, it was pretty clear what happened on the play: Florida State blew the coverage and they got rewarded for it. It's unfortunate."

Who deserves to be higher?
Well, FSU should be #1. If Mississippi State gets to jump FSU by beating a highly ranked team when FSU plays a mediocre team, then surely FSU should get back to #1 after beating a highly ranked team when Miss St. didn't even play. Oh, and they ARE the defending national champions.

And with FSU at #1, then ND should be #4. They beat the undefeated defending national champions on the road (but for a penalty), so they should be higher than any other 1 loss team. Oregon should be #5, as they have only one loss and have played a tougher schedule than either Alabama or Auburn. And TCU has played a tougher schedule than Georgia AND have a better loss.

So, you would have this:

1. FSU
2. Miss St.
3. Ole Miss
4. Notre Dame
5. Oregon
6. Auburn
7. Alabama
8. Michigan St.
9. TCU
10. Kansas St./Georgia

But, of course, that doesn't serve the agenda of blatant SEC bias (because 4 or 5 teams in the Top 10 just isn't good enough), so I understand why it doesn't happen.

It's just so ridiculous to see the endless circular argument being made for the SEC. "The SEC is good because the teams are good. And when they lose in conference, they are losing to good teams (because the conference is good, you know?) so even when they lose, they are a good team".

I'm just so over it.

Well, FSU should be #1. If Mississippi State gets to jump FSU by beating a highly ranked team when FSU plays a mediocre team, then surely FSU should get back to #1 after beating a highly ranked team when Miss St. didn't even play. Oh, and they ARE the defending national champions.

And with FSU at #1, then ND should be #4. They beat the undefeated defending national champions on the road (but for a penalty), so they should be higher than any other 1 loss team. Oregon should be #5, as they have only one loss and have played a tougher schedule than either Alabama or Auburn. And TCU has played a tougher schedule than Georgia AND have a better loss.

So, you would have this:

1. FSU
2. Miss St.
3. Ole Miss
4. Notre Dame
5. Oregon
6. Auburn
7. Alabama
8. Michigan St.
9. TCU
10. Kansas St./Georgia

But, of course, that doesn't serve the agenda of blatant SEC bias (because 4 or 5 teams in the Top 10 just isn't good enough), so I understand why it doesn't happen.

It's just so ridiculous to see the endless circular argument being made for the SEC. "The SEC is good because the teams are good. And when they lose in conference, they are losing to good teams (because the conference is good, you know?) so even when they lose, they are a good team".

I'm just so over it.

Thanks for putting the effort in to doing this. I think the bias certainly exists but others like yourself are creating a backlash. Maybe there was a time a few years ago where the SEC bias was warranted but not so much in 2014. It feels like so many college offenses have reached a point where parity almost exists and anyone can win any game.

But I will say based on last week's ranking to this week's felt just right. Even you still had 4 of 7 top SEC teams. They are still the best conference. FSU is still being punished for the Clemson game, Winston's uncertainty, and the fact they don't appear to be as good as last year. One or two works for them. The SEC just took care of business. It is hard to deny them their spots. I think maybe they were too high coming in, but you can't take away what they did this weekend.

Anyway, I agree the bias exists. It would be laughable (and bad business) to have three SEC teams in the top four and therefore justification to have three of the teams in the playoff. But I'm not worried about that. The SEC teams will consume themselves and two teams will just blow a gimme game. That will be a true test of the level of bias that exists. We will see.

BTW, living in the Midwest it is really hard for me to listen to a ND fan complain about bias. College football and media loves ND and the money of their wealthy alumni. ;)

They are still the best conference.
I'm not sure of that. I'm not sure the Big 12 or the Pac 12 isn't as good. The SEC, like always, is incredibly top heavy. The SEC East (which includes my Mizzou Tigers) is full of paper tigers or even worse. Both LSU and A&M have shown to be average/mediocre teams. So basically you're talking about the 4 tops teams (Ole Miss, Miss. St., Alabama and Auburn) and Georgia, a team I've yet to determine how good they are. And, furthermore, I think as the season goes on, you'll see both Miss. St. and Ole Miss falter, as I just don't know if they'll have the overall depth to compete over the course of a full season.

I think maybe they were too high coming in, but you can't take away what they did this weekend.
What did they do this weekend which proves their conference is better than another? Missouri assaulted Florida, LSU embarrassed Kentucky after squeaking by Florida and getting pounded by Auburn, Ole Miss played Tennessee and Alabama embarrassed A&M. What did the SEC do this week to show they are a good conference, aside from making themselves look bad?

Anyway, I agree the bias exists.
It's been around for a decade. It started with the "the SEC defense are just so great that's why no one could score", which we know now was an obvious lie being told to prop up the SEC. Now it's the circular argument of "the SEC is good because the SEC is good" which I hate so much.

It would be laughable (and bad business) to have three SEC teams in the top four
This is the problem. I'm not sure if it would be bad business. ESPN essentially has gone in full partnership with the SEC, so they have enormous financial incentive to push the SEC's quality. I'm firmly convinced this is why they have tried so hard to push the great SEC narrative.

BTW, living in the Midwest it is really hard for me to listen to a ND fan complain about bias. College football and media loves ND and the money of their wealthy alumni. ;)
Nah, ESPN tries to denigrate Notre Dame all the time. They are always running articles about how "the mystique is gone" and how they are overrated, etc. The reason (I believe) is because Notre Dame has a TV contract with NBC.

ESPN is not a fan of Notre Dame and have not been for a long time.

They are still the best conference.

What exactly are you basing this upon?

No statistical thing, obviously. Because they do not rank first place in anything besides BCS titles. Bowl records, individual awards, All-Americans....All fo that goes to other conferences.

Top-heavy, like Sly said. The insular view and imaginary built-in strength of schedule is so fucking irritating.

I don't see a 2 loss SEC team getting in the final 4 over a one loss Pac 12, Big 10, Big 12, or Independent team like Notre Dame with their kind of schedule. It won't happen. You can complain about media bias, but if teams do what they're supposed to do, SEC beating each other up and stealing wins from each other should keep from having multiple teams in that conference from making it.

Anybody else going to watch the inaugural playoff committee poll reveal? I have an hour to kill, so I thought I would give it a watch to see if I can be surprised.

Honestly, I don't think it will be much different from the AP poll, but maybe they will surprise me.

------------------

Here is what I said at the beginning of the season as the final four:

1. Florida State
2. UCLA
3. OU
4. Alabama

50% of my picks are already voided. I don't see OU making a miracle run this season.

At this point, I would pick these as my top four:

1. Miss St.
2. Florida St.
3. Auburn
4. Notre Dame

Oregon, Ole Miss, Alabama, and Mich would round out the rest of the top eight. I'm hoping Bama gets punished for the sub-par play against good teams. They have not even played a great team yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back