• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NCAA College Football 2014 - LD

It wouldnt though, lulz. If Mizzou wins, ESPECIALLY if its by 10+ (which would not shock me) you know they will get vaulted into the top 4.

THEY ARE THE SEC CHAMPS FOR GOODNESS SAKES'

Also, I give Ohio State almost zero chance whatsoever, now down to their 3rd QB.

It wouldnt though, lulz. If Mizzou wins, ESPECIALLY if its by 10+ (which would not shock me) you know they will get vaulted into the top 4.

THEY ARE THE SEC CHAMPS FOR GOODNESS SAKES'
No way a two loss Missouri team, with a home loss to Indiana, makes the playoff. No way.

Right? And if they do...I'm not sure how I want to feel about that.

If FSU hangs on it will be the same top 4 as last week. No way Baylor moves ahead of TCU based on this week and OSU just didn't play a tough enough schedule to make up for their bad loss to Va Tech. Their two biggest wins are over MSU and Wisconsin. The biggest win for both MSU and Wisconsin this season? Number 25 ranked Nebraska who just fired their head coach. The Big Ten got crushed in non-conference and that hurts OSU big time.

Going with 1. Bama 2. Oregon 3. FSU 4. OSU 5. Baylor 6. TCU. That's not what I personally feel it should be.

Going with 1. Bama 2. Oregon 3. FSU 4. OSU 5. Baylor 6. TCU. That's not what I personally feel it should be.

That seems to be the way most people are predicting. If this does happen then the committee needs to be revamped. I'd love to see them explain why they had TCU at 3 last week (which I didn't agree with) and then after they win 55-3, they get bumped down 2-3 spots.

The Big 12 got burned by not having a title game. They'll expand with cincinnati and another team.

Lulz. Let's be real here, people. Do we really think this was because OSU is better than either Baylor or TCU?

Refresher for those who may be blind; OSU is the bigger school, with the more national name. Anyone who thought the playoff committee wasn't going to shoehorn them in because of that is blind, or an Ohio State fan.

SO we open with Oregon Vs FSU, and Bama against....Ohio St and their third string QB. Instead of TCU or Baylor. Not to mention its virtually a home game for Bama.

Huh. Sounds about right.

The Big 12 got burned by not having a title game.
Which is so dumb. Everyone already plays everyone...how does playing them again make a difference?

The committee was a joke. When there's no real criteria, then you can simply do anything you want. And that's what this committee did...they did whatever they wanted.
SO we open with Oregon Vs FSU, and Bama against....Ohio St and their third string QB. Instead of TCU or Baylor. Not to mention its virtually a home game for Bama.

Huh. Sounds about right.
Yes, it's amazing how the two Texas teams won't be playing Alabama in Louisiana but instead will be playing a team from the northern Midwest.

Which is so dumb. Everyone already plays everyone...how does playing them again make a difference?

The theory is that a championship game has more value than a regular season game. I think it is reasonable, it doesn't discount the regular season, it just has more weight in itself.

The committee was a joke. When there's no real criteria, then you can simply do anything you want. And that's what this committee did...they did whatever they wanted.

What criteria do you put on a committee when you have such a large pool in such a complicated sport? The committee did fine. If TCU or Baylor wanted to make an airtight case to be in the final four they could have gone undefeated.

Yes, it's amazing how the two Texas teams won't be playing Alabama in Louisiana but instead will be playing a team from the northern Midwest.

I'm not sure I get the point. It is not like OSU is traveling by horse and buggy. Plus, their students and alumni will get plenty of tickets and show up in full rich upper middle white class force. All dressed like their coach.

I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why Condoleeza Rice is on the committee other than "she's a big fan". Wouldn't that mean the committee should have about 30 million members?

Basically it came down to four big name schools and somehow the only undefeated team and the reigning national champions are only ranked third. At least there's a playoff though.

The theory is that a championship game has more value than a regular season game. I think it is reasonable, it doesn't discount the regular season, it just has more weight in itself.
The theory though doesn't make sense when they've already played. Let's say TCU and Baylor had played again and TCU had won this time. Does that mean TCU is the better team? Or does that mean they are equal?

I don't have a problem at all with championship games, but I DO have a problem with penalizing a conference for not having one when every team plays everyone.

What criteria do you put on a committee when you have such a large pool in such a complicated sport?
I could come up with some, but that's not my point.

The point is there should be standards, regardless of what the particular standards are. There should be something which the committee should have to adhere to, in order to provide fairness in the system. But when they can basically do anything they want, then you end up with situations like this year, where the undefeated defending national champions were ranked 4th behind a 1 loss TCU who, after beating a power conference team by over 50 points, dropped 3 spots to 6th the very next week.

The committee did fine. If TCU or Baylor wanted to make an airtight case to be in the final four they could have gone undefeated.
Except that ISN'T an airtight case, given the fact the only undefeated team in the country was ranked fourth last week and had many speculating they could be left out entirely.

I'm not sure I get the point.
The point is once again the SEC team is getting a short trip to play in front of a crowd which will more likely favor them. Sure Ohio State will have plenty of fans there, but the crowd will be far more likely to be SEC fans.

I'd also like to see some of these games played in cold weather locations, but that doesn't really matter for this particular discussion.
I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why Condoleeza Rice is on the committee other than "she's a big fan". Wouldn't that mean the committee should have about 30 million members?
The whole committee thing, in its current form, is stupid.

Basically it came down to four big name schools and somehow the only undefeated team and the reigning national champions are only ranked third. At least there's a playoff though.
At least there's a playoff.

I we're really wondering at all why this is all happening like it is...

Lulz. Let's be real here, people. Do we really think this was because OSU is better than either Baylor or TCU?

Refresher for those who may be blind; OSU is the bigger school, with the more national name. Anyone who thought the playoff committee wasn't going to shoehorn them in because of that is blind, or an Ohio State fan.

This is still true, ya know?

The theory though doesn't make sense when they've already played. Let's say TCU and Baylor had played again and TCU had won this time. Does that mean TCU is the better team? Or does that mean they are equal?

In this situation probably yes because their initial game came off like an enigma where the team that was going to win was the team with the ball with more than 30 seconds left. Neither team clearly represented themselves as the better team in that game.

In theory the answer is no, but a late season win for a championship deserves more weight than regular season.

I don't have a problem at all with championship games, but I DO have a problem with penalizing a conference for not having one when every team plays everyone.

I am at a point where I question this whole past weekend. Looking at the results, it almost feels like the losing teams were somewhere playing the roll of somewhere between good seller and total jobber.

But I get your point and can't disagree. All I can say is that having a championship game most likely puts a tough game at the end of your schedule before the bowls. No championship lets you finish up against Iowa State Fashion Institute.

I could come up with some, but that's not my point.

The point is there SHOULD be standards. There should be something which the committe should have to adhere to, in order to provide fairness in the system. But when they can basically do anything they want, then you end up with situations like this year, where the undefeated defending national champions were ranked 4th behind a 1 loss TCU, who after beating a power conference team by over 50 points then dropped 3 spots to 6th.

The size of the drop does not make sense. From a numeric standpoint though dropping from three to six if this were on some point system where three and six were not that far apart would be very reasonable.

Except that ISN'T an airtight case, given the fact the only undefeated team in the country was ranked fourth last week and had many speculating they could be left out entirely.

FSU's margin of victories got in their way, I don't think TCU would have the same issue (or at least not as strong, I may be wrong on this). Plus in the end, FSU got in despite their perceived shortcomings.

The point is once again the SEC team is getting a short trip to play in front of a crowd which will more likely favor them. Sure Ohio State will have plenty of fans there, but the crowd will be far more likely to be SEC fans.

I think you underestimate big ten fans and namely OSU fans. The school is huge, the alumni is huge, and they travel. Both teams will have ample time to travel and prepare. Neither is exactly sleeping in their own beds with their moms preparing their meals the night before.

Not to mention, people are complaining about something working out that had a 50-50 shot of happening. It is not like they just decided after Alabama locked that the Sugar Bowl would be a site.

I'd also like to see some of these games played in cold weather locations, but that doesn't really matter for this particular discussion.

As someone who lives in a cold weather location, there is nothing you have ever said on this forum before that I could agree less with. It is miserable here from November through April and I don't blame anyone for wanting to stay away.

The whole committee thing, in its current form, is stupid.

I'm sure there are better ways to do it. Most are unrealistic but there probably is a better way that is realistic. I just wouldn't go as far as calling something that is not perfect stupid.

Side question: would you want the media making the decisions?

At least there's a playoff.

Yup.

OSU jumped to 3 because the playoff wanted OSU, and they earned the right to get a chance by virtue of playing a tough schedule and winning their conference with a 3rd QB.

More importantly, the committee picked them so that the playoff can soon be pushed to where it belongs, which is 8 teams.

More importantly, the committee picked them so that the playoff can soon be pushed to where it belongs, which is 8 teams.

Wait... So what you're saying is the committee knowingly made a pick they thought might be wrong, so that people can call them out on it, and they can look like morons?

Why in the world would they do that?

Wait... So what you're saying is the committee knowingly made a pick they thought might be wrong, so that people can call them out on it, and they can look like morons?

Why in the world would they do that?
1. Because they didn't pick a wrong team, they picked the 4 teams they thought deserved it. Sorry for TCU and Baylor but they felt OSU played a tougher schedule and did it with a backup QB.
2. Because 4 teams is not enough when you have 5 "power conferences" and the potential for 2 deserving teams in said conference. No matter who they picked they would have been "wrong" because there were 6 teams that had a legit claim for being in the 4 team playoff.

In this situation probably yes because their initial game came off like an enigma where the team that was going to win was the team with the ball with more than 30 seconds left. Neither team clearly represented themselves as the better team in that game.
And if the second game was the same way, what has been proven?

In theory the answer is no, but a late season win for a championship deserves more weight than regular season.
Why?

I am at a point where I question this whole past weekend. Looking at the results, it almost feels like the losing teams were somewhere playing the roll of somewhere between good seller and total jobber.

But I get your point and can't disagree. All I can say is that having a championship game most likely puts a tough game at the end of your schedule before the bowls. No championship lets you finish up against Iowa State Fashion Institute.
The problem I have is we heard they were going to pick the best teams...if TCU was a best team last week, how can winning by 52 points suddenly make them not a best team? It just doesn't make any sense.

The size of the drop does not make sense. From a numeric standpoint though dropping from three to six if this were on some point system where three and six were not that far apart would be very reasonable.
But we don't have any idea why they dropped, other than "because the committee felt like it". That's the problem with not having any standards.

FSU's margin of victories got in their way, I don't think TCU would have the same issue
The point is that just winning all your games doesn't necessarily mean you get in. Had TCU gone undefeated, they might have gotten in (probably would have), but we don't know for sure.

I think you underestimate big ten fans and namely OSU fans. The school is huge, the alumni is huge, and they travel. Both teams will have ample time to travel and prepare.
But there's a big difference between a 4 hour or less trip to a game and a 13 and a half hour trip to the game. I'm sure OSU fans will be there, but if you had to guess, which team is going to have more fans in that stadium? I think if you had to bet money, you'd put your money on Alabama also.

Not to mention, people are complaining about something working out that had a 50-50 shot of happening. It is not like they just decided after Alabama locked that the Sugar Bowl would be a site.
But they DO have the power to manipulate the rankings. Why is Alabama #1 and not FSU or Oregon? Why did FSU move up to #3 and have to travel across the entire country? Why did TCU and Baylor, two teams several hours closer from a neighboring state, lose out to Ohio State?

I'm not saying it was deliberate, I'm saying we have no way of knowing if it was deliberate...but it sure did work out great for the SEC team, didn't it?

As someone who lives in a cold weather location, there is nothing you have ever said on this forum before that I could agree less with. It is miserable here from November through April and I don't blame anyone for wanting to stay away.
But teams like Ohio State have to play football in that weather. They have to recruit against that weather and they have to design their schemes for the weather.

How come these important games are never played in that kind of weather?

I'm sure there are better ways to do it. Most are unrealistic but there probably is a better way that is realistic. I just wouldn't go as far as calling something that is not perfect stupid.
I'm not calling it stupid because it's not perfect, I'm calling it stupid because it is completely arbitrary and there is absolutely no criteria to which we can hold the committee responsible.

Side question: would you want the media making the decisions?
I would be fine with a point system similar to the BCS to determine the top 4 or 8 teams (8 is ideal).

And if the second game was the same way, what has been proven?

Proof? You're asking for too much in an amateurish sport with over 120 championship eligible teams and limited time and resources to pick a champion.

I think it is pretty reasonable to assume that when picking teams that you are going to put in a championship scenario you give more value to a team that recently succeeded in a albeit smaller championship scenario. It is certainly not the only factor but it is worth taking in to consideration.

The problem I have is we heard they were going to pick the best teams...if TCU was a best team last week, how can winning by 52 points suddenly make them not a best team? It just doesn't make any sense.

OSU passed them when they added a big victory over a better opponent in a championship setting.

But we don't have any idea why they dropped, other than "because the committee felt like it". That's the problem with not having any standards.

It sounds like you are struggling with the committee's transparency. I look at the group and assume most if not all members are having discussions and making judgments based on years of experience and love of college football. You make it sound like they rolling a 120 side die. Do you really think the members "just felt like it"?

The point is that just winning all your games doesn't necessarily mean you get in. Had TCU gone undefeated, they might have gotten in (probably would have), but we don't know for sure.

No, we don't but I don't want there to be any single metric, even an undefeated season to guarantee a spot. Is that a standard you want? It seems like a basic starting point but would significantly disadvantage the power five and ND who generally play tougher schedules.

But there's a big difference between a 4 hour or less trip to a game and a 13 and a half hour trip to the game. I'm sure OSU fans will be there, but if you had to guess, which team is going to have more fans in that stadium? I think if you had to bet money, you'd put your money on Alabama also.

Probably, but I'd also put money on the crowd having no impact on the outcome of the game. How much of the stadium will Bama crazies get to fill 60%? 70%? Both teams will have loud fans. The most impactful moments the crowd has is how much of an old man boner Brent Musberger gets from Katherine Webb.

But they DO have the power to manipulate the rankings. Why is Alabama #1 and not FSU or Oregon? Why did FSU move up to #3 and have to travel across the entire country? Why did TCU and Baylor, two teams several hours closer from a neighboring state, lose out to Ohio State?

You've gone from there is an SEC bias to there is an SEC conspiracy. I thought part of the SEC bias argument was that there was also a bias against he Big 10. What happened there? An SEC bias exists, in the public and on ESPN but to go as far as accusing this committee based on these decisions is absurd. The final four is reasonable. The seeding is reasonable.

I'm not saying it was deliberate, I'm saying we have no way of knowing if it was deliberate...but it sure did work out great for the SEC team, didn't it?

I'd rather play FSU over OSU despite the 3rd stringer but that is me.

But teams like Ohio State have to play football in that weather. They have to recruit against that weather and they have to design their schemes for the weather.

They play most of their games in the late summer and fall. These playoff games are in January. The weather changes.

Plus you talk like bowl have been suspiciously down south only recently. The most successful have been played in warm weather for years. People are more likely to spend money around New Years in warm weather as opposed to Chicago.

How come these important games are never played in that kind of weather?

Money and tradition I would guess.

I'm not calling it stupid because it's not perfect, I'm calling it stupid because it is completely arbitrary and there is absolutely no criteria to which we can hold the committee responsible.

And any criteria we could come up with would end up looking like the verbal equivalent of an MC Escher picture.

I would be fine with a point system similar to the BCS to determine the top 4 or 8 teams (8 is ideal).

What was the criteria there? Wasn't it just a bunch of polls combined?

Proof? You're asking for too much in an amateurish sport with over 120 championship eligible teams and limited time and resources to pick a champion.
But we already have the proof. That's the point and why I don't understand why a conference where everyone plays everyone needs to have a championship game to have a chance for a playoff.

I think it is pretty reasonable to assume that when picking teams that you are going to put in a championship scenario you give more value to a team that recently succeeded in a albeit smaller championship scenario.
But they've already played in that scenario.

OSU passed them when they added a big victory over a better opponent in a championship setting.
But how does that make them a better team though? That's the part that doesn't make sense. If TCU is the third best team in the country (according to the committee), then beating the next opponent by 50+ should mean they are still the 3rd best team.

Again, this is the problem with not having a set of established criteria.

It sounds like you are struggling with the committee's transparency.
It's more like I have a problem with the absence of any logic to their decisions.

Do you really think the members "just felt like it"?
Umm, yeah. It's the same BS we heard for years with the rankings (which we were supposed to be getting away from) where they "pass the eyeball test". The "eyeball test" is just a BS way of saying we don't have a legitimate reason for one team over another so we make an intentionally vague statement which cannot be challenged.

There was zero logic to what the committee did this year. Zero logic. FSU didn't lose a game and they were fourth. TCU was apparently better than FSU, won by 52 points (while FSU won by 3), and the committee decided on the basis of that 52 point win TCU was no longer the third, fourth or even fifth best team.

It is completely devoid of any and all logic and so yes, it was "just felt like it".

No, we don't but I don't want there to be any single metric, even an undefeated season to guarantee a spot. Is that a standard you want?
I want some reasonable standards. Whether it's an automatic berth based on champion of conference or computer rankings or undefeated season or some combination of those and others, there needs to be standards to prevent any impropriety.

Probably, but I'd also put money on the crowd having no impact on the outcome of the game. How much of the stadium will Bama crazies get to fill 60%? 70%?
When I went to the Notre Dame vs. Louisville game this year, I'd guess roughly 40% of the crowd was Louisville fans. It was amazing how loud 40% of the stadium can be on important downs. It makes a difference.

You've gone from there is an SEC bias to there is an SEC conspiracy.
But it is bias. It's assuming Alabama is great because they went through the big bad SEC, ignoring the fact the SEC simply wasn't that great this year. And all the rankings have aligned perfectly to benefit the one SEC team.

When was the last time you watched an SEC team play a major bowl game in a disadvantageous situation? I certainly can't remember one, unless you want to count Alabama playing LSU in New Orleans.

I thought part of the SEC bias argument was that there was also a bias against he Big 10.
I've never said anything like that. The Big 10 was probably the worst of the major conferences this year.

The final four is reasonable. The seeding is reasonable.
I don't really even disagree with you. But that's not the problem I have with the process.

They play most of their games in the late summer and fall. These playoff games are in January. The weather changes.
It's still cold and nasty in that party of the country in November, especially this year. You know this.

Plus you talk like bowl have been suspiciously down south only recently.
Not at all, but you post like I'm only now complaining about it. I've been railing against all major games in warm weather locations for years.

Money and tradition I would guess.
Money, for sure.

And any criteria we could come up with would end up looking like the verbal equivalent of an MC Escher picture.
Nah, we can come up with criteria easily. We did it for the BCS system, why could we not just keep the BCS point system and take the top 4 teams? Even if the teams and rankings would have turned out exactly the same, at least we would know what criteria was being used.

What was the criteria there? Wasn't it just a bunch of polls combined?
http://www.bcsknowhow.com/bcs-formula

It certainly wasn't perfect, but it sure beat what we have now (if there was a playoff).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back