Final Fantasy 6 Walkthrough with Dagger

EPILOGUE

So, I'm not going to spoil the ending. For those who have yet to play this magnificent game, you'll have to play it for yourself to find out what happens. Without fully revealing any of the content.... If you re-recruited someone in the second world, they get a scene in the ending. If you did not, then they get their menu picture shown with a darkened map of their hometown. Edgar, Celes, and Setzer's scenes play out no matter what. As does Terra's, whether you re-recruit her or not. I will leave one last little secret though.... There's 3 secret alternate ending scenes!!!!

SECRET ALTERNATE ENDING SCENES (AND ANOTHER CHALLENGE!)
Party: Edgar, Celes, Setzer, Relm

edgar.gif
celece.gif
setzer.gif
realm.gif

Play the game through as you would in my Hard Mode Challenge, but with one major difference. You're allowed to re-recruit Relm. This gets you the Starlet esper so you'll be able to cast Curaga, but the main reason to do this isn't for an extra healing spell or having a 4th person in the party for the final boss battle. If you beat the game having ONLY re-recruited Edgar, Celes, Setzer, and Relm.... Then you can view the alternate ending in its entirety. The alternate ending scenes include one for Edgar without Sabin, one for Celes without Locke, and one for Relm without Strago. Want a challenge that's a little easier than Hard Mode? Try this one out, and enjoy the secret alternate ending.

Edgar%20-%20Angry.gif
Celes%20-%20Angry.gif
Setzer%20-%20Angry.gif
Relm%20-%20Angry.gif

That's it for the main game. Stay tuned for the Dragon's Den, an epilogue side-quest available only in the GBA and PC versions!

Spotlight: PC Remake Version

I still haven't forgotten about this topic. In order to provide the best possible coverage for this great game I replayed both the original SNES version as well as the GBA version while putting together the previous content in this thread. The newest version of the game is the PC version and I have made my way back through this title yet again for the third time in the same calendar year. I'm almost at the Dragon's Den, which I still plan to cover. In the meantime I wanted to give this thread a bump and mention the PC remake in its own spotlight post. It has the music of the SNES version while also retaining the new sidequests/spells/items found in the GBA version. It is the best of both worlds, as many liked the new content but preferred the music of the original to the GBA version. There is also the matter of the new graphical style upgrade. The characters now have a more cartoony style, which I welcome. The battle backgrounds are beautiful, in particular. Lastly.... a couple of battle commands have been made less of a pain to use. Sabin's Blitz now has directional graphics showing you what direction you pressed when inputting a Blitz so if you need to start over you have a better idea of if you should or not. The biggest upgrade though comes in Cyan's special ability. Never again will you have to wait for his ridiculously long charge time to use higher level SwdTech (now called Bushido) skills. You select one and then he charges while your other characters' get turns and perform their actions! This makes Cyan MUCH more useful than he was before.

Expect more updates to this thread soon, covering the Dragon's Den quest. In the meantime.... here's each of the playable characters posing with Sabin at Duncan's cabin during a sidequest in the PC remake and then a battle screenshot.

Locke, Terra, and Edgar.

2viple1.jpg

Celes, Cyan, and Gau.

1z4zk8j.jpg

Setzer, Strago, and Relm.

11llzy1.jpg

Mog, Umaro, and Gogo.

2eg64c1.jpg

Shadow.

2il21rs.jpg

A battle in the PC remake.

30utitt.jpg

I'm not sure if you've done one, but since it's going to be re-released for the PS4 next year, I'd pop for a FF-12 walkthrough, Dagger. Good work here though. I've spent hundreds of hours on this game, possibly my favorite of the series.

I'm not sure if you've done one, but since it's going to be re-released for the PS4 next year, I'd pop for a FF-12 walkthrough, Dagger. Good work here though. I've spent hundreds of hours on this game, possibly my favorite of the series.

Glad you're enjoying it. If/when I have the time to do another it would either be FF5 or FF1. I already did 4 a couple of years ago. I did not enjoy 12 enough to do a walkthrough on it, sorry. If I do the FF5 one it will be the PC version only and if I do FF1 it would be the original NES only. I do not have the time to do multiple console playthroughs for these. I made an exception for 4 a couple of years ago and for 6 here. All I have left is Kefka's Tower and some equipment gathering then I'm off to the Dragon's Den as far as this topic is concerned. I am following my own challenge in the PC one and only allowing the canonical casters to learn esper magic (Terra and Celes) it makes the other abilities like Strago's Lore and Cyan's Bushido that much more useful, not to mention the higher difficulty. Stay tuned for more later this semester!

Party Checklist Before Entering The Dragon's Den

Before starting on the Dragon's Den side-quest you might want to take that one last chance to make sure your characters are ready. It's intended to be the last quest for a reason. Each of the 8 dragons are tougher this time around. Now, if you followed my advice in previous posts in this thread then you should be just about ready. Some gear upgrades may have been in order and whether you are doing my canonical casters challenge (Esper spells taught to Terra/Celes/Relm only) or taught magic to everybody, you'll need one or more casters in your three parties. The Dragon's Den is a 3 party event just like Kefka's Tower was. I'll be using similar parties to my Kefkas' Tower posts with only a couple of differences. Anyway, here is what my characters' levels and equipment at this point look like right now on this file. (Equipment will use the modern names as I am playing the PC version at this point.)

PARTY 1

LOCKE
Level: 75
Health: 7590
Weapon 1: Ultima Weapon
Weapon 2: Valiant Knife
Helmet: Genji Helm
Armor: Genji Armor
Relics: Master Scroll & Genji Glove

TERRA
Level: 70
Health: 6798
Magic: 992
Weapon: Zantetsuken
Shield: Genji Shield
Helmet: Oath Veil
Armor: Minerva Buster
Relics: Celestriad & Ribbon
Abilities: All Spells Learned

EDGAR
Level: 71
Health: 6800
Weapon: Holy Lance
Helmet: Crystal Helm
Relics: Dragoon Boots & Dragon Horn
Abilities: All Tools Purchased

SABIN
Health: 6649
Weapon 1: Tigerfang
Weapon 2: Dragon Claws
Armor: Red Jacket
Relics: Genji Glove & Black Belt
Abilities: All Blitzes Unlocked

I love this party. It's one of my favorite party combinations and they will be the ones to face the Kaiser Dragon.

PARTY 2

CELES
Health: 6847
Magic: 999
Weapon: Excalibur
Shield: Paladin's Shield
Armor: Minerva Buster
Relics: Celestriad & Soul Of Thamasa

CYAN
Health: 6644
Weapon: Mutsunokami
Helmet: Diamond Helm
Relics: Black Belt & Knight's Code
Abilities: All Bushido Unlocked

SHADOW
Health: 6802
Weapon: Kagenui
Relics: Memento Ring

UMARO
Level: 72
Health: 6966
Weapon: Bone Club
Armor: Snow Scarf
Relics: Blizzard Ring & Berserker Ring

My 2nd group from Kefka's Tower only Gau was replaced by Umaro. Why not?

PARTY 3

MOG
Level: 74
Health: 7241
Weapon: Radiant Lance
Helmet: Black Cowl
Armor: Snow Scarf
Relics: Dragoon Boots & Dragon Horn
Abilities: All Dances Unlocked

RELM
Level: 73
Health: 7288
Magic: 827
Weapon: Healing Rod
Armor: Behemoth Suit
Relics: Fake Mustache & Ribbon

STRAGO
Health: 7237
Magic: 815
Weapon: Healing Rod
Helmet: Circlet
Armor: Behemoth Suit
Relics: Celestriad
Abilities: All Lores Learned

GOGO
Health: 7238
Magic: 814
Weapon: Gladius
Armor: Magus Robe
Relics: Gold Hairpin
Commands: Mimic, Bushido, Tools, Lore

Mog's got more than enough restorative support here between two Heal Rods while Gogo is set up to be the backup for both battle (Bushido) or casting (Lore).

And.... The Rest!

SETZER
Level: 50
Health: 3725
Weapon: Fixed Dice
Shield: Crystal Shield
Helmet: Crystal Helm
Armor: Crystal Mail
Relics: Heiji's Jitte

GAU
Level: 44
Health: 2993
Shield: Aegis Shield
Helmet: Black Cowl
Armor: Black Garb
Abilities: Stray Cat & all default Rages learned

You can tell by their lower levels that these two will be hanging out on the airship. Two heroes must remain behind if you re-recruited everyone (just like in Kefka's Tower) since you can only bring 12 of the 14. I ran a canonical casters challenge on this file, so Setzer would have taken Relm's place if everyone was learning magic.

This is an idea of what I recommend your party looks like before attempting this new quest. I'll begin with its walkthrough soon and hope to have it posted by the end of 2016. After that, tons of different party combination analysis will follow.

DRAGON'S DEN - 1ST DRAGON
Party A: Edgar, Terra, Sabin, Locke
Party B: Celes, Umaro, Cyan, Shadow
Party C: Mog, Strago, Relm, Gogo

The Dragon's Den is unlocked once you have defeated the 8 dragon bosses in the second world, the last of which were available to fight in Kefka's Tower. You will have to fly to an island north of the Coliseum that has a tree on it. Land there and you are prompted to pick 3 parties. The ones I will use in this quest are listed above, if you wish to use different party combinations then that is up to you. Your three teams fall down to a grassy mountain outdoor area similar to the entrance of the Phoenix Cave. The hook to your left is your exit, again, like in the Phoenix Cave. This takes you to the deck of the airship with only Setzer inb the party. If you ever exited Kefka's Tower or the Phoenix Cave then this should look familiar. Upon re-entering you pick 3 parties again. Anyway.... You'll begin in the grassy mountain outdoor area as whoever you picked as your party 1 in the party selection screen. Party 1, 2, 3 will be referred to as Edgar's party, Celes' party, and Mog's party from here on in order to prevent confusion (until the end of the den when I changed party combinations). In the PC version you press Right Shift or Left Shift to change which party you are controlling.

A word of caution, while most of the enemies in this first part are not much of a problem.... If you encounter an enemy named Vilia (they look like brunette girls wearing pink clothing) just run. It's not even worth it. They use a highly annoying ability that makes a member of your party take damage for them and they can also inflict Confusion. Extremely frustrating. The other monsters shouldn't give you much to worry about. Death Riders are also horrible, they are not in this chamber but you'll run into them eventually and they like to use Blaster, my least favorite enemy skill, which can potentially instantly kill a whole party. If you encounter one RUN. Not even Ribbons will nullify their Blaster attack.

Move Edgar's party into the left cavern to begin. You see 2 red stars that look like save points and a closed door. There is a switch on the platform above you. The stars block your way due to the Seal Of Ice. These are barriers protected by the 8 dragons which have all come back to life. The Ice Dragon is therefore guarding this barrier, once you find and defeat him, the star will be gone. Let's go find him then. Exit and try the right cavern. Another star blocks the north path due to the Seal Of Ice, but you can go to the right. You pass a stairway with an orange star on it, blocked by the Seal Of Wind. Hmmm.... Keep going north and you find the Ice Dragon. You know what to do. Approach him to enter battle with the first boss of this quest!

BOSS BATTLE: Ice Dragon

Image861.gif

He's back and this time he has more health as well as a trick up his sleeve.... There are more than one of him! Much like the red Vector Lythos dragon enemies in Kefka's Tower. He can use many ice type attacks such as Blizzaga, Snowstorm, and his special ability Freeze which can inflict Stop. Targeting one of the Ice Dragons at a time with Firaga by your main caster(s) is an effective strategy while your fights use their special skills or regular attacks. Giving the Master Scroll and Genji Glove to one of your fighters is always recommended, as is the Dragon Horn and Dragoon Boots to any dragoon in this party. Locke and Edgar fit these roles in my setup. For being the first of the dragon rematches, he is much harder than expected. The fight ends once you defeat the Ice Dragon and each of his clones.

After you win you get the Final Trump which is intended to be Setzer's new ultimate weapon in this version, but I still prefer the Fixed Dice.​

DRAGON'S DEN - 2ND DRAGON

Let's switch over to Celes' party now that those 3 red stars are gone. If you go from the entrance area through the left path (where those first two red star barriers were) taking the left room in the path will lead you to a dark star, blocked by the Seal Of Water. Moving along this path takes you to a dead end, and so does the right path honestly. Follow the path Edgar's party took in the right cavern and go north since there is no longer a red star blocking that path. This takes you to the switch on the platform above the left cavern's path, opening a middle door in between the two currently leading to dead ends.

Switch over to Mog's party and enter the middle door you just opened. Keep Celes' party on the switch and do not move them yet. As Mog's party proceed through the middle door's path and stand on a switch at the end of the path.

Switch back over to Edgar's party and return to the entrance, go through the left cavern and then the middle door. Mog's party being on the switch they are on made platforms you can jump across to a chest appear. This chest has a Rename Card in it. You can use this to rename a playable character if you want. You'll see Mog's party as you pass them on the way back. Return to where the Ice Dragon was and continue down the path! You're in a magma filled area. Go to the right and head south to find a chest with a Hi-Ether. Now go back the way you came and to the left. A dragon is waiting for you on a platform you cannot reach due to the magma, step on the switch in front of you and stay there for now.

Switch to Celes' party. Take the right path in the left cavern from the main entrance. It's not a dead end anymore, Edgar's party's switch made a platform appear you can jump across the magma on. You will see Mog's party who are still standing on the platform to your left as you jump across. Another switch awaits you, step on that. Switch to Edgar's party without moving Celes' party from the switch they just stood on. You'll need to have Edgar's party open the door for Mog's party or else they are stuck. Take Edgar's party back to the path that is north from the right cavern's beginning and stand on that switch, the same one that opened the middle door in the left cavern earlier, to re-open it.

Switch to Mog's party and leave this room and enter the left path. Follow the path until you see platforms to jump across, down to a switch. You can step on that to make a platform appear for Celes' party to jump across, to where the next dragon is. Or you can go and jump across them as Mog's party (line up to the two horizontal ones and jump). Let's use Celes' party to fight this dragon, so have Mog's party stand on the switch to make the platform appear then switch to Celes and jump up to the dragon. This one is the.... Storm Dragon!

BOSS BATTLE: Storm Dragon

Image1015.gif

He's got a much larger amount of Health this time and a new special skill called Icarus Wing that does a lot of damage. You'll want to have your caster(s) healing each round while your fighters use any special skill they may have that does not miss such as Cyan's Bushido. After losing about 2/3 of his health the dragon will inflict Haste status on itself so keep hitting your strongest skills and healing. Surprisingly enough, the Ice Dragon rematch was a lot tougher.

Your prize for winning is the Longinus, Edgar's new ultimate weapon. Equip it on him immediately.

DRAGON'S DEN - 3RD DRAGON

As Celes' party jump north from where the Storm Dragon was to find a chest with an Elixir. Go up the stairs into the next room. North is a room that leads to a save point.... and a party member switch point. If you have all three parties in the room you can change party combinations using the red star. You can even bring in party members who are currently on the airship (I know, continuity issue, but the option is there). Your new three parties would all be in that save room again and you start off right away should you decide to change the lineup(s). Anyway, I won't be doing that until the very end of the quest, but just know that it's an option if you wish to do so now. For instance putting Celes in with Edgar, Terra, and Locke may be more up your alley than keeping Sabin in there. This is what I did for the Kaiser Dragon fight at the end. It makes sense on a canonical casters challenge too. Save here, you'll be glad you did.

To the southeast of the save room is an orange star that is blocked by the Seal of Earth. There is also a switch nearby. Stand on it to make a bridge appear on the rocks. It leads south, down to where the Ice Dragon was. You can have Celes' party stand on the switch and then switch to Mog's party then use the bridge's path to get back to the entrance if you wanted. Or you can just proceed. Stick to Celes' party for now, they are going to fight the next dragon. From the save room follow the path to your left. You'll find two different paths to take. North goes to the next dragon while south takes you to where Mog's party was. Either of these two parties could fight this dragon, I picked Celes' group. Head north where the dragon is waiting for you.

BOSS BATTLE: Earth Dragon

Image806.gif

You might want to have cast Float on the party before the fight begins. If not, someone needs to cast it as soon as possible. The dragon like to use 50 Gs to undo the Float status but you can re-cast it. Your caster must be ready to heal since he will often use Quake as soon as he has undone a Float status. He is much stronger than before, and the first time this was already a problem. Shadow throwing Shadow Edges to give the party Image status could be beneficial. The biggest thing is to make sure your caster is either healing or casting protective spells every round. For me that was Celes. Quick followed by Float and Curaga did the trick. Have the Celestriad relic equipped! I had Cyan use his 7th level Bushido skill (as usual for him) and Shadow threw the Impartisans I had collected from levelling up in the dinosaur forest, if you do not have any of these your strongest Shurikens will do unless he needs to use another Shadow Edge. Watch for the end of the fight, the dragon when weakened will go berserk and attack several times in a row. If this concerns you just cast Life 3 on Celes then if everyone dies from the final attack of this boss then she'll survive.

Your prize for winning is Sabin's new ultimate weapon, the godhand.

DRAGON'S DEN - 4TH DRAGON

As Celes' party head back to the save point and save. Change to Edgar's party to give Sabin his new ultimate weapon, the godhand. A cool thing about this weapon is that it uses the other claw animation that was previously only seen in his Metal Knuckle and the Poison Claw. Ok now switch back to Celes' group again. Head to the southeast of the save room and go through the newly opened path. In this next room head to the left. Then if you go down and follow that path it takes you to a warp stone in a chest, but you don't need that. There's also a hidden magicite shard (the item, not a new esper) but again you do not need that. Go north to find a door, there is a dragon behind it, however the door is locked. We can't get to him right now. Plus, this party just fought the last dragon. There's other paths that can be taken in this room but they end up being blocked by the Seal of Water. Let's get the other two groups caught up. Go back into the save room and stop there.

Switch to Edgar's party. They need to go up to where the Ice Dragon was, have them stop there at the dead end. Now switch to Mog's party. Move them upstairs, then over to the save room. You'll see Edgar's party below you. Step on the switch to make the bridge for them to cross. Put both parties in the save room so you can save and change party lineups if needed. Now have Mog's party go make the bridge appear south of you again. Switch to Edgar's party and go back south across that bridge. See the stairs by where the Ice Dragon was in the middle of the path that go up a floor? Go up those stairs. You're in an area that looks like Darill's Tomb where you got the airship with Setzer.

The path immediately to your right is blocked by a gold star, the Seal of Lightning. Proceed north instead. Similarly to Darill's Tomb, you have to jump on a turtle's shell to cross the water to the north. Going to the right leads to paths blocked by two different stars. If you turn south here and follow the path, it leads to the Seal of Lightning star you saw earlier, turning north leads to a white star which is blocked by the Seal of Heaven. So you will instead need to go up the stairs from where you moved north on the turtle shell. A switch on the wall has a note written next to it. It reads "When the door is opened, the Red shall be awoken". It is talking about the Red Dragon. Press the switch to unlock the door by the Red Dragon. Now, go up either flight of stairs to your left or right. Upstairs is the next dragon, waiting to battle you!

BOSS BATTLE: Water Dragon

Image758.gif

He is mostly the same as your first encounter. A couple of things to look out for.... If you cast any beneficial status effects he will inflict Poison, Slow, or Blind on himself then cast Rippler to trade the status effects. Be extremely careful as there is an infamous glitch to where Shadow can permanently lose Interceptor due to the Rippler spell. Do not bring Shadow to this fight. Also, he can use a special skill to inflict Stop on you called Blue Fang. Have your casters cast Thundaga or Ultima on him. Or they can heal as your fighters unleash their special attacks. Locke attacked with Ultima Weapon and Valiant Knife, Edgar used a Jump with the Dragon Horn, Terra healed with Curaga after the Dragon used a Tsunami attack, and then Sabin attacked once with his claws and it was over. Probably the easiest of the dragon rematches as long as you are aware of the Rippler issue.

Your prize for winning is Celes' new ultimate weapon, Save The Queen.​

DRAGON'S DEN - 5TH DRAGON

Give Celes her new ultimate weapon immediately, by switching over to her party. Now switch back to Edgar's party again as they are not done just yet. To the left of where the Water Dragon was is a red star, blocked by the Seal of Fire. Directly north of where the Water Dragon was, is a yellow star blocked by the Seal of Lightning. To the right is a switch that opens a door north of where the Water Dragon was but you cannot get there yet. To your right is a gravestone but it has no inscription.

Switch back to Celes' group now. You'll be fighting the Red Dragon. If you still had Celes' group in the save room you'll go southeast through the door, then to your left and follow the path up the stairs. Had you pressed the switch over in the Water Dragon's area, the Red Dragon will have come out of his room. If you are ready, go fight him. Make sure you are at full health.

BOSS BATTLE: Red Dragon

Image972.gif

He is pretty tough this time. You cannot harm him by attacking and you instead need to withstand all of his attacks and then the battle ends. Celes should cast Life 3 on everyone and be healing every other round. The others can defend. If someone dies and is revived by the Life 3 spell, cast it again. Using Quick to get in multiple Life 3's or multiple Curaga's is not a bad idea. If Gogo or Strago are with you they can use the Mighty Guard Lore. If you survive it all, you win.

Your prize for winning is Terra's new ultimate weapon, the Apocalypse. It is a powerful sword but be careful, it uses MP for critical hits. I hate it when some weapons do that. She'll be mostly too busy casting anyway.​

DRAGON'S DEN - SOME OTHER TOUGH FIGHTS

Remember that Seal of Water star from several chambers back? You can now go through it to get some treasures. Have Edgar's party work their way back down the stairs, follow the path back to the entrance of the Den and then go through the left entrance and the left path. Go up the through the newly opened path. To your northeast you will find a chest with an X-Potion. The west path takes you to a chest with a Remedy. Ok, now go back to where the Red Dragon was. Celes' party should also still be in this chamber. If Mog's party is still standing on that switch by the save room then the bridge should make it possible for Edgar's party to get into that area. Once both Edgar's and Celes' parties are in the area where the Red Dragon was, you can proceed. Remember the paths that were blocked by a Seal of Water star? They are not blocked now.

From where the Red Dragon was, head south, then east along the path until you get to a switch. Stand on it. Switch to Celes' party and go to where Edgar's party is. Go north now that the rock is not there anymore, and stand on the switch in this path. It makes the rock to the right of Edgar's party go away. Switch to Edgar's party while Celes' party is still on that switch and move them into the opened path. Switch to Mog's party to place them in the save room and save the game as needed and then back out onto the switch they've been on. Now switch to Edgar's party again and go up the stairs into the next chamber.

Now you're in an area resembling the Zone Eater. Go straight north up some stairs and the room there has a save point. If you still haven't saved, now might be a good time. Go down three of the flights of stairs and go to the right crossing the bridge. This should look familiar, it is a puzzle like the one in the Zone Eater, where you jump across bridges while avoiding the green guys who look like the train conductor. Start by jumping to the east on top of two treasure chests like in the room before Gogo joined in the Zone Eater. Jump by pressing the same button you would to confirm a battle command. Now follow the bridge and jump north on one chest. Do not worry about the door on your right just yet.

Head to your left and jump down a bridge. The green guys who look like the train conductor are here and if they touch you then you are knocked off the bridge to a floor below, just like in the Zone Eater. Go ahead and let this first guy knock you off. Why is that? Why, there are some more optional boss fights below. And we want the challenge, don't we? Let's go! You end up in a long twisting hall with blue fires in it, each blue fire is a boss. You can skip a couple depending on the path you take in this chamber or if you want the challenge like myself, you'll fight all five.

BOSS BATTLE: Earth Eater

This guy looks like an olive colored Phunbaba. He counter attacks with an instant death skill each time you attack him. Easy solution would be to have Terra cast Vanish or Life 3 on Locke, then have Locke attack with his Ultima Weapon and Valiant Knife combination. If the boss survives and uses his counter skill, revive Locke and cast Life 3 on him, then repeat. If you have a different party then have whoever your caster is cast Vanish or Life 3 on your most powerful fighter while they attack. If you do not have Life 3 or Vanish then you're in trouble.

BOSS BATTLE: Gargantua

gargantua.png

He looks like a zombified version of Gigantos from the Floating Continent. He fights kind of like him too. Strong physical attacks and some earth magic. Have your caster use Float on everyone and Curaga as needed. To further increase your advantage, have the caster also cast Vanish on everyone. Now he cannot use Quake OR physically hit you. The battle is yours at this point. Without Float it could be tough.​

BOSS BATTLE: Malboro Menace (x7)

malboromenace.png

This fight against blue colored Malboros is HORRIBLE. Make sure at least one person (preferably your caster) has a Ribbon equipped. If your other parties are using one, you might want to borrow those Ribbons to give to the party who fights this boss. I gave Terra, Locke, and Sabin Ribbons then ran out and gave Edgar a Safety Bit, next best thing. The battle starts out with just one of these guys but when you defeat him, two more identical to him appear and when you defeat those, four more appear! The boss can use the Malboro species' infamous Bad Breath skill and also likes to use the most idiotically annoying skill in the game, Blaster, which can instantly defeat your party. Have your caster begin with Quick and then two Life 3's, one on themselves and one on a fighter. Then on your caster's next turn you can do the same thing to get Life 3 on your other two characters. If anyone dies, Life 3 will temporarily take care of that. Keep re-casting it as needed.

If you can, having your caster use Quick then two Firaga spells or two Ultima spells then it can do a lot of damage. This is how you should approach the phase of the fight when there are four of these guys onscreen. Locke attacking with the Master Scroll while equipped with the Valiant Knife, Edgar Jumping, and Sabin using Phantom Rush are good ways to finish off any of the Malboros who survive Terra's double Ultima. If you don't have Ribbons then you stand no chance. I'd argue this boss is tougher than any of the dragons, other than the Kaiser Dragon, so don't feel bad if you get stuck. If you can't defeat him then just skip him.

BOSS BATTLE: Abyss Worm

abyssworm.png

Compared to the Malboro Menace, this guy is very easy. He looks like a red version of the Zone Eater which is a bit odd. It may due to this game not having a graphic for worm enemies and this was the closest they had. Anyway, have your casters ready to heal or have them use non-elemental spells like Ultima while your fighters fight. This battle should not be a problem for you.

BOSS BATTLE: Dark Behemoth

darkbehemoth.png

This is a little tougher than the Abyss Worm, but still easier than the Malboros. Have your casters use Life 3 on at least themselves but preferably the whole party before you start attacking. That way you should survive the Ultima spell that the boss uses right before he dies. Or you could just defeat him in one shot with X-Zone, but where would the fun in that be? Once your Life 3's have been cast unleash your fighters' physical attacks and you should be good to go. He does use Mighty Guard on himself, so keep in mind that abilities that ignore defense will be the better options. Or, again, you could just cast X-Zone.

DRAGON'S DEN - 6TH DRAGON

Once you have defeated either the Abyss Worm or the Dark Behemoth, you are able to reach the ray of light that warps you back to the room with the bridge jumping puzzle. Switch back to Mog's party and SAVE. I highly doubt you want to fight the Malboro Menace more than once, and fighting the rest of those bosses again doesn't sound too fun. We wanted the challenge, we got it, time to move on. First there's some potentially bad news. If you get knocked down a floor again by one of the green conductor guys something very bad happens. These 5 bosses we just fought, they respawn. All of them. The good news is, you can avoid a couple of them along the way (looking at YOU, Malboro Menace!) if you happen to end up down there again. So you want to make sure you avoid the conductors at all costs!

****HINT!****
Switch over to Mog's party and SAVE each time Edgar's party has reached a spot on the bridge puzzle that has no conductors. Then you can restart if you get knocked off and do not want to work your way through the respawned optional bosses. This may help avoid a lot of frustrations.

From the ray of light's respawning point in the room with the bridge jumping puzzle (that was harder to describe than expected....) jump to the right across two chests, then jump up past one chest. You're back where you were when you left that first green conductor guy throw you off the bridge. Jump down one bridge and then down a chest to get to a chest with a Celestriad in it. If any casters do not have one yet, give it to them. Gogo and Strago could also benefit from it due to using Lore abilities. Jump back up a chest and up a bridge until the conductor is out of the way then jump down, go left, and jump up to the middle bridge. Wait until the conductor is out of the way to where you can jump up toward the right bridge string, then jump up. Work your way up the bridges and you will see a long bridge to your left. This is the worst part of this puzzle, you have to wait until the conductor is way on the left end of the bridge and jump down quickly from the middle onto the small bridge south of you.

Now you'll want to twitch to Mog's party to save. Seriously. You do NOT want to have to re-do that part. Ok back to Edgar again.

Jump down and then go over to the chest northeast of you to get an Elixir. Now go north. There is a door on your left that goes to.... another yellow star, blocked by the Seal of Lightning. So you can't go there yet. Let's go east. You will pass a chest on this path with an X-Ether. Now follow the path until you reach a platform with a long stairway. Climb up and you will see the next dragon at the top waiting for you. Switch back to Mog again to save, since this next fight is likely to catch you off guard. While he's not the toughest of the dragon rematches, it is fitting that the most frustrating dragon rematch would take place in the room with the most frustrating puzzle. When you're ready approach the dragon to fight him. Equip everyone with Ribbons if you can, he likes to inflict status effects.

BOSS BATTLE: Skull Dragon

Image998.gif

I hate this battle so much. The first time I played the Dragon's Den sidequest in the FF6 version on the GBA a decade ago, this battle had me screaming at the screen in anger, until I figured out the trick to winning. You CANNOT win this fight based on pure strength. You could teach Locke the Quick spell, equip him with 2 Ultima Weapons, the Master Scroll and Genji Glove, then have him attack on both of the Quick spell's turns at full health for 109,000+ damage (as in.... doing enough damage to kill the game's final boss TWICE), and it would STILL not win you this fight. Casting Quick as a Morphed Terra to use two consecutive Ultima's will not work either. He comes back to life no matter what you do, and unlike the Soul Savers from Cyan's Dream even X-Zone will not kill him. What in the world are you supposed to do kill this dragon?

You have to deplete his Magic Point count. If you do not know either the Rasp or Osmose spell, then it is literally impossible to win this fight. YOU CANNOT WIN THIS FIGHT WITHOUT RASP OR OSMOSE! Have your caster cast Quick on themselves, then two consecutive Rasp spells. Keep doing this until you run low on Magic Points for yourself then use Osmose until you are back at full MP. Repeat until the Dragon is out of Magic Points himself. Your fighters are useless in this fight unless they use items to help the caster with restoring their MP or by having them use restorative items. If everyone has a Ribbon then it makes the fight easier. He can also turn you into Zombies and use Level 5 Death, by the way. Not the WORST of the dragon rematches, but by far the most frustrating. He has 14,000 MP so this takes forever.

Your prize for winning is the Scorpion Tail, Gogo's new ultimate weapon.

DRAGON'S DEN - 7TH DRAGON

From where the Skull Dragon was, a stairway forms so that you can go down and avoid having to get past the conductors again. Make your way down that stairway then down the bridge on the right. Jump down on the chest then go around and jump to the left two chests, keep heading left, then up the stairs. You can go in the room above you and save if you want. When you are done, head left and go to the south to exit this chamber. Head left until you get to a switch that you will need to step on. Switch to Celes' party.

As Celes' party, if they are still down by where the Ice Dragon was then you will need to get them back to the area southeast of where the Red Dragon was. Use Mog's party to make that bridge appear south of the first save room again if you need to. Stop by the rock that is blocking the path. Now switch to Mog's party and have them step on the switch that removes the rock. Switch back to Celes' party and have them go up the stairs in the path where the rock that just got removed was. If this is where they were then ignore the previous instruction.

Go up to the next floor. Move along the path and you will be able to jump across to the next platform on the rock that appeared because of the switch Edgar's party is on. To your left is a hidden chest in the corner with a Force Armor. Continue along the path on the floor to the north of where Edgar's party is. You'll see a white star blocked by the Seal of Heaven to your northwest. Go east and step on the switch to make more rocks appear to your left, switch to Edgar's party. Move up and jump across on the rocks that Celes' party's switch made appear. Step on the switch on the platform you're on now.

Switch to Celes' party and go climb onto the small platform south of where Edgar's party is. There's a rock that appeared, jump south on that to get to the next platform. Cross the bridge south of you. Go all the way to the right and there is a hidden chest with an X-Potion. Now backtrack a little and go up. Keep going north until you see an anvil, push it down onto the switch below you. Follow the path to the left and then up, into the next chamber. In this room go to the left to find a Magus Robe. The right path and middle path both lead to a dead end. Go back to the previous room. See the two lava spaces that look like eyes? This is dumb because you need to step in between the two eyes, the "hint" for this is on a tombstone in the Water Dragon's area, but it is tough to find. You will "hear a distant sound". Go back upstairs again and the next dragon will be waiting for you on the path on the right. Switch to Mog's party to take them back yet again to the first save room at this point if you want. Then switch to Celes' party to fight the Holy Dragon once you are ready.

BOSS BATTLE: Holy Dragon

Image1058.gif

He is much smarter this time around in his tactics. He casts Curaga on himself after being attacked and can counter with Heartless Angel which can reduce you to 1 Health Point for the whole party. Your healer will need to be ready to heal in case that happens. If he uses Saintly Beam after a Heartless Angel, it could very well be over. You'll want to have your caster use Reflect on the Dragon so that he will not use Curaga on himself. Casting Life 3 might not be a bad idea either, just in case you get hit with the Heartless Angel + Saintly Beam combination. So, start with Quick followed by Reflect on the Dragon and Life 3 on your caster. Follow up with Life 3 on the rest of the party or healing as needed while your fighters use their abilities. Cyan's 7th Bushido and Shadow's Throwing Shurikens were all it took for me. Significantly harder than the first time you fought him, and it was a fun challenge. One of the tougher dragon rematches.

Your prize for winning is Zanmato, which is Cyan's new ultimate weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back