Dixie Carter says it's now or never for TNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Pre-Show Stalwart
Anyone see a rare vignette at the start of Impact? It was a shoot by the TNA President who basically said to the roster we're bringing in Hogan and Bischoff and are making changes and if you don't agree with me (carter) you can leave.

With Hogan and Bischoff i can't quite see this being the case for them and Hogan has full authority according to him in interviews. If TNA tries too hard to compete with the wwe and accelerate too fast what could happen?

Personally, I'd highly recommend TNA to look less to competing with WWE and more to competing with themselves. The company is growing very well, establishing itself with a core audience and slowly building a new/larger following. That's exactly where it should be. Throwing too much weight behind any one person/party could result in the whole company imploding, and nobody who genuinely loves pro wrestling as an industry wants that. We all know competition makes everyone better.

As for this vignette with Dixie, I thought it was well-done. Another thread criticized it for ruining the kayfabe of the company, but I personally found it really well-thought-out and compelling. Kudos to Dixie for being an interesting on-air personality!

I Think that Segmant Should have not made it on iMPACT nor Youtube That Should have Been in Private . But you Know aslong as Hulk Hogan Stays outside that Ring and Holds Not Titles in TNA and has A GM type of Role i am Fine with that . But Hulk Hogan stated Plenty of times "i run TNA" and "TNA is Spending Big Money Now" here is the link http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/n...-To-The-UK,-D\\Angelo-Dinero-Speaks,-More.htm I Just Hope TNA Spends that Money in Polishing Up the Product , Developing the Young Talent and Spend on some Advertising & New Programing . Also TNA Should add 20-30 More Minutes of Wrestling on Their Programing and have 6-8 Huge PPVS a Year that all air Outside of Orlando , this will maximize the PPV Buyrates . And air iMPACT more Frequently outside of Orlando .

That segment was strange to me. It felt like a teacher gently scolding an honors class for making a guest speaker look bad. "I love and respect all of you and everything we've accomplished/Anyone who is not 100% behind my direction for the company can hit the road." I'm not saying it was bad--it wasn't bad television.

But what was the point? Was it just to hype "Hogan is coming"? Was it to make a point to locker room dissidents? (Then it shouldn't have been on TV). Was it a foreshadowing of pro-Hogan/anti-Hogan locker room factions? Could be good, could be Russorific in a bad way, overdoing "worked shoots" and pointless surprises. Or was it just that Dixie Carter wanted to be on TV?

What was the idea that that segment was supposed to accomplish?

The vignette did nothing wrong. It makes the most of not having Hogan involved just yet. It takes the advantage of the coverage they are getting and the impact it has made.

It shows the attitude that the company has and needs to have. It goes behind the curtain and shoves kayfabe out the window. It was gritty and determined and shows exactly why iMPACT is the best two hourss of wrestling going at the moment.

We know that TNA could do things better but their programming is one of their best things they have.

Call it a hunch, but I have a feeling it was Vince Russo's idea to air that segment.

I think it's all a matter of TNA trying to form that connection with the fans ... to show them that they mean business and management is working for the fans in trying to step up their game.

You heard it straight from the horse's mouth that she wants the entire roster to step up their game in the ring. And she showed leadership by saying that "if you aren't happy on board with what I'm saying, then there's the door. Because we aren't stopping."

I have mixed opinions on this. It was a controversial move to air a what would otherwise be a private address to the locker room, but I still can't be helped in wanting to see more of this type of thing. The walls of kayfabe have never been torn down any further then by what they did by showing this meeting.

I can't help but be impressed though in that even though kayfabe is really reduced to mostly nothing in this day and age, people are still finding ways to tear it down, even more.

Just a very, intriguing segment. Something we've never seen before. At the end of the day, kudos to TNA for showing us something we've never seen in wrestling before.

While I get JohnBragg's assertion that it felt like a teacher scolding students all seated in the gymnasium, it went well beyond that. It was the kind of morale-building kick-in-the-pants address the president of a growing company gives her employees. I think allowing the fans to see this really gives viewers the idea that TNA does, in fact, mean business. And Dixie's telling people in the locker room -- and then showing it on national TV -- that either you're in it to win it . . . or you're gone.

The first thing I thought when I saw that segment was "Geez, I hope they're not going to try some kind of 'Ms. Carter' heel owner kind of angle." If it was a legitimate pep-talk, I think it may have been better served making it an off-camera thing. But them putting it on the air leads me to believe that it's going to lead to some sort of angle between pro-Hogan and anti-Hogan factions.

This question goes both ways and the only way to really answer it is this; what did you feel when Dixie Carter did that? Did you feel pumped that TNA is making it public they want to improve ridiculously to compete in this day and age with WWE, or were you sad that they said that because it might tear the business apart and ruin TNA?

Now i did not get a chance to see it, but when i read the news i felt kind of relieved and excited. Ill admit i do not follow or watch TNA on a daily basis because i always forget it's on, but I think it makes good tv to hear that the small little company is trying to compete with the big time company. I still do not think TNA will ever be a problem for WWE, but i still think it's pretty cool TNA wants to do this. Pretty much, the segment was interesting and that's what you want for an entertainment show.

I liked it. It's just like you know a coach giving a pep talk before a big game. Telling all the players to do their best and that everyone relies on each other. It just shows that the leader of the company really believes in it and that everyone should put forward their best effort to make it the best wrestling show possible.

I mean I could see it as a school teacher scolding students, but that was only if I disagreed with what she said. But I totally agree with what she said.

And really, who knew that she had so much passion for the wrestling business? I certainly didn't.

I mean I could see it as a school teacher scolding students, but that was only if I disagreed with what she said. But I totally agree with what she said.

The more I read other people's responses, the more I have to watch it again. I didn't think it was bad television, it just made me wonder what they were trying to do. (Part of me doesn't believe anything on wrestling tv isn't partially kayfabed, only badly kayfabed.)

It's not that I disagree with what she said. It was just a feel I got from it--maybe because I'm a schoolteacher. It felt like a speech you give to a bright class that you don't have the experience to control, and they're acting up. "You are all very talented, the best of the best, and I expect better of you." That approach doesn't work, by the way, but when things have gotten to that point cracking down hard often fails, leading to brute and utter anarchy.

The parts about "If you disagree with my decisions, you're undermining the company and you can find somewhere else to work" just made me think, what is really going on? Is there a simmering rebellion backstage? If grumblings about creative or about management are reaching that kind of a point, this speech isn't going to help. If threatening someone's job is the answer, do it personally and one to one, not generally and in public.

I don't if any of you have worked in an office before, but I did for a few years until this past June... this stuff isn't that unusual. I mean, in a corporate environment yes... but in a less profession more informal office you tend to have meetings now and then where basically the theme is "This is what we're going to be doing, this is the direction we're going in and frankly if you don't like it, turn in your resignation forms."

As for airing on TV, that is a bit unusual, but it's pro-wrestling. I personally think it's unprofessional (unless it's kayfabe) but then I'm not gonna sit here and act like I know how to run a wrestling company.

It reminded me of the speech Herm Edwards gave when he first took the Jets job. Now while I don't remember what was said exactly the FEELING I got then was "Damn, I want to suit up for this guy..."

I think the segment left me with that same feeling, I wouldn't mind working for/watching that company because they seem serious. Dixie made the best use out of the story of Hogan without having him there. Did it come too close to breaking kayfabe? Yes, and it worked because it wasn't blatant.

Everyone knows TNA is a wrestling company and that these guys are co-workers before they are enemies. This segment was too worked to be 'real', if a company is holding a closed door meeting why bring in 3 cameramen, sound and lighting guys?

But at the same time, it felt real enough to peak the interest of the casual fan. If you just heard that Hogan signed with TNA and this is your first IMPACT it comes across as "Wow, they're really going in on this."

I found that speech quite disturbing. The fact that they brought in the three cameras was not only to air for tv, but to also film wrestler reactions to review the film and analyze body language to see who looked disgruntled and therefore, "profiled" to be future fired employees.

I know, I've worked in an office in a middle management position where a speech like that was made and our boss told us to view the production workers and look for body language signs during the speech and to "monitor" those workers over the coming months to see if workrate and competency started to decline for future actions that may include termination.

The part that deeply disturbed me was when she made the statement:

"When you're questioning things in this company, you're questioning me and I cannot allow that to happen...."

No!. They are not questioning Dixie Carter the person. They are questioning the direction of the company and the "incompetent" decision of bringing in Hogan and Bishoff. I'm afraid with these two events, the company has already been killed. What usually ends up happening is that the good (and usually anti-politics) workers are held back and denied opportunity because the politics played blindsides everyone and a buddy system is in place holding back anyone better than them (usually the good and anti-politics type of workers) because they see that hard worker as a 'danger' of being better than they were.

Happens in corporate America... Happens in pro wrestling. Hulk was the bully that got stood up to by VKM and so he left the WWE neighborhood and has gone to the TNA neighborhood to be their bully. But the problem is that the bully has now convinced Dixie that he is the solution when he is in fact, the additional problem.

I remember when I used to volunteer for a cult recovery ministry, that similar mindset Dixie stated in her speech perfectly aligned with meglomaniac characteristics of cult leaders who would state that...

"Questioning them is questioning God"

What she has done is three things:

(1): Implemented the 'no talk' rule where expressing verbal disagreements will not be tolerated to the point of dismissal and has shut everyone up in fear of losing their job.

(2): Implemented the "I am above and beyond question, reproach, rebuke, and criticism" mindset.

(3): Implemented the "Questioning me is sabotaging me" mentality.

And she knows that there is a rough economy out there to where it would be harder to find good work elsewhere and therefore uses this for her leverage. Remember, she worked for a huge corporation before TNA, when things get desperate, people who leave corporate mindsets for non-corporate environments usually resort to those corporate tactics somehow, somewhere, someway.

I really think TNA is really on their last leg. Between the Jarrett / Angle scandal, the fact that they really have not grown as rapid as they thought, they resorted to the act of last hope desperation by signing The Egomaniac named Hogan and Bishoff.

If I was a TNA wrestler whose contract was about to expire and heard that speech combined with the fact that Hogan and Bishoff are definitely coming back. I think I would call my agent and have him "explore all options" with a leaning towards leaving the company and doing something else in wrestling for the indies or begin the fallback career..

If I was a retired wrestler who watched the show and heard that speech, had talked to some investors and a television network about starting a third wrestling federation, I think I would have to pull the trigger and do it right now to create a legitimate third option between the "politics" of HHH and the WWE and the "politics" of Hogan/Bishoff and TNA. To me, even though the wars were WWE versus WCW, It was at that time up and coming ECW that was the catalyst with it's edgier, hardcore, and adult-themed storylines that caused both WCW and WWE to take notice and eventually sign top ECW wrestlers away.

What is going to happen to Jarrett now since Carter / Hogan / Bishoff is now in control? I think he's pretty much either going to be gone or be jobbed out

I have mixed opinions on this. It was a controversial move to air a what would otherwise be a private address to the locker room, but I still can't be helped in wanting to see more of this type of thing. The walls of kayfabe have never been torn down any further then by what they did by showing this meeting.

See, I just assumed that the meeting was a work. Like they have multi-angle cameras going at every TNA talent meeting?

But exposing the business doesn't have to be breaking kayfabe. Someone else I read noticed that feuding wrestlers were sitting together-a no-no. But other than that, I'd say that kayfabe is pretending that wrestling is a real sport. Dana White and UFC may very well have had a meeting to talk to their top 20-30 fighters when they signed Lesnar, right? Would it have been that different from this video?

Sports as a whole is more "exposed" these days. HBO does a series where they go behind the scenes in the locker room of an NFL team for a whole season. If wrestling, or at least TNA, is pretending to be a real sport, then they should act like the real sports act.

I HATED that speech. There was absolutely no reason for them to air that on TV. Yes we all know that wrestling is not real but this was on a completely different level. It really made it look like a scripted show where Dixie is the boss and everyone has to do what they're told...yes, that's what it is, but this totally ruined the illusion more than anything else I have ever seen.

In my opinion it really ruined the show for the night. How are you going to start a show with everyone sitting next to each other listening to the boss telling you that you have to do what she says and this and that...and then go on to have a show where someone attacks the champs, a title holder refuses to defend the title on US soil, and a bunch of other stuff that otherwise would be contradictory to everything said in the speech.

Like I said, we know wrestling is not real. But when you break it down to this level, and specifically advertise it to your fans, I feel that destroys something.

At first glance, I thought this speech was going to be a part of a storyline. But after reading the main page just now, I can believe that it was not kayfabe. I for one thought it was an excellent move to air that. I never knew Dixie could be firm like that though. It is good and it is what the company needs. However, I feel it is was good to have that meeting.

It was a very intriguing moment, and very controversial. It was quite the risky move to air that. I feel it sets the tone for what we can expect from the company in the coming months and that hopefully she really knows what she is doing with signing Hogan and Bischoff. As I've been saying, this should make for some very interesting television for the coming months.

Dixie is a well-known hands-on type of President/owner. Even the house show I went to in New York City a year or two ago, she walked around (with security, obviously) through the crowd before the show opened just to talk face-to-face with fans and literally asked what they liked or didn't like about TNA.

I have a lot of respect for her, and knowing this wasn't kayfabe just added to it.

Call it a hunch, but I have a feeling it was Vince Russo's idea to air that segment.

I think it's all a matter of TNA trying to form that connection with the fans ... to show them that they mean business and management is working for the fans in trying to step up their game.

You heard it straight from the horse's mouth that she wants the entire roster to step up their game in the ring. And she showed leadership by saying that "if you aren't happy on board with what I'm saying, then there's the door. Because we aren't stopping."

I can't help but be impressed though in that even though kayfabe is really reduced to mostly nothing in this day and age, people are still finding ways to tear it down, even more.

Just a very, intriguing segment. Something we've never seen before. At the end of the day, kudos to TNA for showing us something we've never seen in wrestling before.

Sidious, chalk this down, because it rarely happens. I don't really agree with you here. This was a terrible move by Dixie Carter. This woman knows jack squat about wrestling. NO ONE with a solid wrestling mind takes her seriously. If I were a top draw and she had that speech and decided to air it on TV, I'd probably tell her I'm taking my work elsewhere.

As intriguing and as 'shocking' as it was, it's a slap in the face to wrestlers who are just voicing their opinions. She basically said, 'I know you've busted your ass for us for a while now, but fuck you. You're opinions only matter if they're good.' I mean, I understand it not being good for business to have someone like AJ Styles complain about the direction the company is taking, but to air the grievance on TV is not a good decision for her or the company. And if Russo's behind this, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

The best thing for her to do is to stay out of the way of the product or learn about her product. I don't see TNA lasting very much longer...despite the quality of programming, I just don't see this being a long term company.

To answer the original question, If they push too fast to be competitive they could A) Spend too much money and go broke or B) tick off a lot of their talent. Those are the 2 worst cases. I think Dixie will not spend too much of daddy's money the question is will she offend the talent.

The topic that has been most discussed is whether this whole 2 minute segment should have been aired. My reaction to it coming on was to check the score of the college football game. It was not bad to say, it was just not the least bit entertaining (I rewatched it on youtube a couple of times). Does it seem odd that those were behind her were the bookers and those that were in front of her were the wrestlers? Yeah. Does that matter to most of the people watching at home? Nope. It just did not further the purpose of the company, which is to entertain people enough to buy more of their product.

Dixie is loved and respected but that may change. She has been on all the banners with Hogan who has been a major d-bag in his promos and interviews. Fans should not hate a promotion's owner. You don't want to give money to those you hate. The connection between Hogan and Dixie is scarey for TNA.

"Source: PWInsider.com

It's being reported that Dixie Carter's pre-Impact address given to the entire roster of TNA talent was NOT scripted, and in fact was genuinely how the TNA President feels at the moment.

There was speculation that her address was a work, and was written into the show as part of a story line, however it seems that is not the case.

There has been a lot of frustration in the TNA locker room as of late, as we have reported, with stars such as AJ Styles and Daniels voicing their concerns with the creative direction of the company, and it seems as if Carter's speech to the talent roster this past week on Impact was designed to let the wrestlers know that she is in charge and in control."

Just read that on the main site. I dunno, can't say I liked the speech and I think Presto nailed it on the head. Dixie is not a wrestler and has no history in the business. I personally think this is the type of thing that Vince Mcmahon could use to kill TNA especially at this point in time. You have to think that she just made her disgruntled workers even angrier than they were, since its essentially saying if you're angry thats too bad cause nothings going to be changing any time soon. If TNA were the number one company on the block I could understand, but they're not, there is a bigger and better option on the block. If I were Vince I'd use this opportunity to poach any talent I wanted from TNA right away and y'know with Hogan joining he had to be thinking about doing it anyway.

Just like most of you, I was left scratching my head as to why they aired the so-called "pep talk" before Impact! What was the reason? What was it, if anything, supposed to accomplish? Did it harm TNA more than it succeeded in pushing the company in the proper direction?

There is NO question in my mind that Russo's fingerprints are all over this being aired on Spike TV. It's his MO. In fact, watching TNA is a lot like watching WCW in its final days.
Listen to the promos that the boys are cutting... and now apparently the company president is cutting too. They're all talking as if the company is in the dumps... in big, big trouble financially and otherwise.

Well, WCW's troubles were made very public by various sources, including those who were trying to run the damned promotion. Especially near the end, and when AOL-Time-Warner put WCW up for sale, well, everyone knew it was just a matter of time. Russo loves booking with a base of "reality," and it was kind of intriguing at the time to see how the talent was handling these problems on the air. But, at one point, it became somewhat tiresome when EVERY wrestler given a microphone ended up saying, "No wonder this damned company (WCW) is in trouble!" as they aired the company's dirty laundry and personal grievences in the arena and on live TV.

That's been going on, to a lesser extent, in TNA for the past year or so. The Main Event Mafia was somewhat inspired by this line of booking. It's not as obvious as it was in WCW, but, if you paid really close attention to most promos and some of the booking, there's been a very quiet tone that there may be problems that are much bigger than anyone could guess.

Maybe Russo doesn't how to write anything else other than wrestlers who are pissed off at the company and are tired of being screwed over. Maybe Russo doesn't know how to write angles other than the company being the underdog against the WWE. I dunno.

But, there are other factors that make me think there is pressure.

As I mentioned in another thread here, but, the timing is giving me reason to think that TNA is in HUGE trouble.

Why are they pushing for "bigger stars" (eg. Tazz on commentary) within the past 6 months? Why are they pushing for more TV shows on Spike more than ever now? Why the phasing out of the Jarrett clan for new writers suddenly (Jarrett's scandal aside)? Why Hogan and Bischoff NOW? And why are they pushing for changes change change all of a sudden? Why all this and why NOW? Notice how everything seems so RUSHED?

Maybe, to be positive, they've had a match lit under their butt and maybe they think this is the time to go big and take a shot at being the number one wrestling company.

But, TNA is taking it's finances from a corporation (Panda Energy) and corporations literally freak out if they don't make as much profit as they feel they should be... and the crap their pants if they lose money. Both scenerios usually end up having those corporations putting pressure on those in charge of anything that's not making money hand over fist. Even if they're making more money than they anticipated, corporations still put pressure on those types to make even MORE money.

Honestly, I don't see TNA making money at the moment, if they are, it'd be very little. Their TV numbers are not as such where they throwing parties Friday mornings and lighting cigars with 100 dollar bills. Their PPVs buys aren't much better and house shows do fairly well (I suppose), but they book small to mid sized arenas. I don't know how well merchandise is doing, but, the Toys R Us in my neighborhood only carry WWE stock and I don't see TNA T-Shirts sold in any store. Is there even a TNA Magazine?

I'm betting the bean counters at Panda Energy are freaking out and I'm also betting that Daddy Carter had a meeting with Dixie Carter recently with the warning, "Turn this company around within X amount of time, or we're dumping TNA."

Hogan, was probably signed out of desperation by Carter. Hogan doesn't care, he'll just keep cashing in the Panda Energy Gold Bars until they stop sending the Brinks Truck.

Has anyone listened to the general chatter on Impact since Hogan signed on? While it's alluded to, but not said straight up, there's really no push of the "current" TNA product as being solid or the best thing around. TNA inadvertently is somewhat shooting itself in the foot by giving Hogan the image "He's going to correct all that's wrong in TNA." Excuse me? Sure, WE know that TNA has it's troubles, but, TNA really shouldn't be pointing out the fact that they have problems if they want to give the image that they're a solid company. And by the way, TNA... what exactly ARE your problems that Hogan is supposed to fix? The Jarrett and Angle scandals were not mentioned once on TNA programming (nor should they, by the way). Russo taking over as head writer not mentioned on TNA programming. Jim Cornette's uncerimonious dismissal was never acknowledged on TNA programming. So, again, TNA, what exactly WAS Hogan supposed to fix when he takes over? Your TV viewers, although, were never supposed to think that TNA behind the scenes is actually a big old clusterf*ck, would like to know what exactly IS Hogan going to fix, and what exactly IS Hogan going to do? And, how exactly did TNA get to this "alleged" state of trouble to begin with?

This week's Impact! was titled "A New Beginning."

Great! Uhm, but, what exactly was wrong with the current state of TNA, TNA? You really never did tell us. What? The rookies don't respect the vets? TNA is keeping Rhino down? That's your biggest problem?!?

Well, on the surface, and the most simplist way possible, and not being in the IWC, I supposed that's the story they're feeding you.

Then why is Dixie having a pep-talk with the talent before Impact?

I don't see this as a work. I see this as TNA subtly warning their fans, "we're in serious trouble. But, these are the efforts we're making to stay around." Who airs a pre-show pep-talk?!?

A company in serious trouble, that's who.

Don't mistake the airing of that as anything but a message sent to the TNA talent. It wasn't aired for ratings. It wasn't aired for the fans. Carter is under HUGE pressure by Panda Energy to turn TNA around, and soon, and she's sending the message "Don't f*ck with her." Whatever she said during those 3 minutes at that meeting was underscored, put in italics and boldfaced to the TNA roster by putting it on TV. It was a preventative message by Carter as well because if someone like AJ Styles (as an example) starts mouthing off about TNA, Carter can simply say, as was aired on Impact in November, AJ and the crew of TNA wrestling were told what our expectations of our talent is. That policy was made transparent for everyone on Impact in November.

Of course, Russo lives for this kind of stuff and was probably giddy when he saw the Spike logo in the corner when it on air.

But, if you're a TNA fan, you should've felt uncomfortable watching that segment.

That segment has deeper roots than anyone realizes... and it ain't pretty.

The post by Jack Tunney's Ghost makes me laugh. While he brings up some really valid points, I think his post is inherently flawed. You're making a tremendous amount of assumptions -- not one or two but multiple -- and basing your whole theory on those. If any one of those is not true, then your whole theory starts to unravel.

can someone rename this thread the "TNA conspiracy theory!" thread because holy shit these guys have come up with some in-depth theories about every single facet of what's going on in TNA right now.

I mean I thought Rhino had it covered on the show but you guys take the cake.

you are all whining and complaining I agree it should ve not been on TV but Dixie Carter did it for ratings obviously and you all say she has no knowledgeable product of wrestling like McMoron has? Are you forgetting Hogan tought Vince McMahon everything about Wrestling business he is not denying , its true now he is doing the same for TNA!
She obviously doesn't have much but she knows where she is going and when you have wrestlers nagging and complaining and issuing ultimatums with not giving it a chance and see where TNA will be ,of course she ll open her mouth and tell her wrestlers put up or shut up about it! Vince would ve done the same and I am sure he has, Carlito wanted to leave soo many times ,Ken Kennedy ,Eugene and all the other wrestlers he fired
She is making herself known she is a woman and she won't be easy manipulated and she thinks there is a growing jealousy for Hogan taking over the spotlights and TNA control which is a problem
But she is tough like every lady should be I am sure stephanie mcmoron would ve done the same and you all would ve said good job she has done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back