WWE RAW LD 2/28/2011 - Game Start

Fuck sake, like Rock is teh only wrestler to ever leave the business to try and have a career in some other entertainment field, others have done the same shit, know why they came back?, cause unlike the Rock they fucking failed, and wrestling was the only way they could make the money they had grown accustomed to

And if Rock had been making all these sporadic appearances over the last seven years you all claim he should have, then THIS return wouldn't have meant nearly as much as it does, perhaps you should just pull the stick out of you asses and just enjoy something that rarely happens in this business

Actually, both are busy acting now, and both are similarly busy. Rocks movies are higher-budget, more mainstream, while Austin is doing more straight to DVD type acting.

And as such, the Rock has more events, talk shows, etc. to be at. He's a bigger celebrity than Austin so it's harder for him to come to WWE every year. TNA can get some of the Jersey Shore cast in there but they sure would have trouble if they went after Will Smith or someone like that. Rock and Austin are in two different leagues of acting.

Actually, it says (to steal from The Rock) "FINALLY...... THE VINCE.... HAS CONVINCED THE ROCK (with enough money) TO SHOW IS FUCKING FACE TO THE VERY PEOPLE HE CLAIMS TO LOVE!"

I'm glad he's back. I just realize that he doesn't love the business like he claims on the air to do. He loves the success he's gotten because of it. He loved the business, he loved the people.

He is an actor in mainstream movies. He does not HAVE TO take Vince's money, he could make more doing a movie. But not only does he do that, he appeared on Raw, I'd think will appear at least once more live before Mania, and will likely have another taped segment like tonight. If he didn't love the business, he wouldn't give two shits about inducting his family into the HoF or coming back to WM as we've all wanted for years.

I'm just saying, for the most part, Rock's promo tonight was on the weak side. Do I still love the Rock? Absolutely. But tonight it just didn't click with me. Everyone has an off night, especially someone as busy as the Rock.

Dude, what are you talking about? CENA started this shit IN REAL LIFE several years ago when he criticized The Rock several times in interviews and online around the time he was inducting his father and grandfather into the Hall of Fame.

Did you seriously not know that?

No, I didn't really know that. I knew Cena had some choice words for The Rock, but I had no idea they were THAT severe. I figured it was more of a, "Let's forget about The Rock, he's gone, it's my time now." And that's a sentiment I can support.

As for him acting instead of wrestling... once again, I fully support that, and I don't think there's anything wrong with what he did at all. I'm afraid I may have misrepresented myself when I said that he doesn't really love the WWE/the WWE fans. I didn't mean that, I got caught up in my own rhetoric. Still, I don't think it's fair for him to come back and start a battle over who loves us more with Cena. Then again, what better way to get people hyped up about Mania than to tease a Rock-Cena showdown with all the tension that is being built up between them.

In the end, I really can't complain. I still didn't like Rock's promo, it just seemed like he talked a lot without really saying anything, but I understand that he got the job done, he did what he had to, and it'll probably help make the future promos from Cena and Rock even better.

Also... and this is the conspiracy nut in me... is it possible that the WWE told Rock to dial down the Rock-isms and what not so he doesn't outshine Cena? Just a thought, not something I'm even remotely sold on yet.

Hogan love the business more than anyone. He was willing to risk his reality tv gig to help TNA to the next level. Austin was willing to sacrifice his awesome cameos in Hollywood action flicks and become the Tough Enough host for the WWE. Brock Lesnar helped dilute the perception that wrestlers are mere fake fighters. Chris Jericho is ditching his music career by wrestling regularly. All Rock has ever done is be the celebrity attraction for a Wrestlemania that had a lackluster card. How ungrateful right?:rolleyes:

Dude, what are you talking about? CENA started this shit IN REAL LIFE several years ago when he criticized The Rock several times in interviews and online around the time he was inducting his father and grandfather into the Hall of Fame.

Did you seriously not know that?
And didn't Rock actually rip Cena at the Hall of Fame, which was before Cena said anything about The Rock? Again, Rock started this shit.

Except, they DO love him just as much as ever, which is why he's made Cena look bush league in comparison over the last few weeks and why Raw and Smackdown are popping huge ratings just at the mere possibility of Rock showing up, ratings that put those Cena has brought in over the last 7 years to shame.
I never said Rock isn't more popular, nor did I ever say that Cena is a better talker (he just had a better one then Rocks from 2 weeks ago, and easily better then tonite).
No, it's more like you are letting your inner wrestling mark get in the way of being an objective adult, and you're reverting to being a giant Cena mark, despite the fact that nothing The Rock has said so far has really been unreasonable or out of line.
so you're being an objective adult by giving infinite praise to a sub-par promo by someone when he never once explained shit? If anything, I'm the one being an objective adult, and YOU'RE being the wrestling mark. Face it, Rocks promo tonite missed the fucking mark. He called Cena out again, but never explained himself, or his actions.

You also, again, can't fathom the fact that (get this) Cena (in this instance) is RIGHT. Rock ABANDONED Wrestling for 7 years, and came back only to act like he's better then the profession.

He is an actor in mainstream movies. He does not HAVE TO take Vince's money, he could make more doing a movie. But not only does he do that, he appeared on Raw, I'd think will appear at least once more live before Mania, and will likely have another taped segment like tonight. If he didn't love the business, he wouldn't give two shits about inducting his family into the HoF or coming back to WM as we've all wanted for years.
No, he loves his family, so he did right by them (by mocking the current roster at that years HOF induction and starting this Rock/Cena war). Then he finally came to his senses and realized he needs to at least embrace his past when he left the Disney movies and got back into doing adult-oriented action films. By the way, how was Faster? Oh yeah, shit. Do something to make the people who remember him being cool like him again. And, oh yeah, he's likely getting a monstrous payoff anyway for it too.

When the Rock was her Raw drew 5's when Cena took over it's 3s why?
1. There are literally 1000 more TV Channels then when Rock was wrestling.
2. Wrestling is in a down period.
3. There is no direct competition for WWE.
4. Chris Benoit murdered his wife, son, and himself.

Shut the fuck up. At least X is using somewhat rational (albeit wrong) arguments.

No, I didn't really know that. I knew Cena had some choice words for The Rock, but I had no idea they were THAT severe. I figured it was more of a, "Let's forget about The Rock, he's gone, it's my time now." And that's a sentiment I can support.

And didn't Rock actually rip Cena at the Hall of Fame, which was before Cena said anything about The Rock? Again, Rock started this shit.

As I recall, Cena started talking shit about the Rock and how he turned his back on the business many years ago, like 2006 or so when he had put his foot down as THE guy of the new generation. Rock responded by jokingly saying something at the HoF ceremony which was in 2008 or 2009 I believe. Cena reiterated what he said since then and now we've come to their current war or words. So in conclusion, Cena started it not Rock.

In the end, I really can't complain. I still didn't like Rock's promo, it just seemed like he talked a lot without really saying anything, but I understand that he got the job done, he did what he had to, and it'll probably help make the future promos from Cena and Rock even better.

so you're being an objective adult by giving infinite praise to a sub-par promo by someone when he never once explained shit? If anything, I'm the one being an objective adult, and YOU'RE being the wrestling mark. Face it, Rocks promo tonite missed the fucking mark. He called Cena out again, but never explained himself, or his actions.

Granted it wasn't as good as 2 weeks ago, but it was different and I like that. He was making fun of Cena then. Cena in his rap made fun of Rock at first, but then got serious at the end. Now Rock has come back with an intense and serious promo. I think if you think about it evolving like that you'll see that it's better than you're giving it credit for.

He mentioned quickly how Cena started this whole war or word. Not last week, but years ago and this is the first time the Rock has ever truly responded to it.

You also, again, can't fathom the fact that (get this) Cena (in this instance) is RIGHT. Rock ABANDONED Wrestling for 7 years, and came back only to act like he's better then the profession.

No, he loves his family, so he did right by them (by mocking the current roster at that years HOF induction and starting this Rock/Cena war). Then he finally came to his senses and realized he needs to at least embrace his past when he left the Disney movies and got back into doing adult-oriented action films. By the way, how was Faster? Oh yeah, shit. Do something to make the people who remember him being cool like him again. And, oh yeah, he's likely getting a monstrous payoff anyway for it too.

How is acting like he's better? He's the same guy he always was, hasn't missed a beat. He said he loves the business and his fans, Cena called him out on that in particular, and he responded. He explained why he left and why he has always still loved it and shows that in some ways even if he isn't on Raw every week.

I haven't seen Faster actually. But I know his small part in The Other Guys was good, and I expect that his part in Fast 5 might be good too. He's not Johnny Depp, but he's still a good actor. Much better than Hogan, Angle, Batista, Trips, or any other wrestler who's tried their hand at it.

Pretty sure it was the other way around, with Cena starting it. Hence, the Rock referencing how he started this. I could be wrong.

so you're being an objective adult by giving infinite praise to a sub-par promo by someone when he never once explained shit?

It's pretty common knowledge about the Rock and Cena's supposed real life heat, it's why they've been referencing past remarks since the beginning. His promo was basically directed at not just Cena, but all of the fans that have criticized him for leaving over the last few years. And he hit a home run in that department, because it's hard to question The Rock's love for the business when he reminds us of where he came from, who his family is, and how proud he still is of all of his accomplishments in the WWE.

The rest of the promo was average stuff, sure, but the main message of it I thought was brilliant in that regard.

But you sound more like you're just mad at The Rock for the things he's been saying on RAW each week...which is kind of the point of it dude. You're well aware of how scripted wrestling is and you're buying into this feud hook line and sinker, stepping up and choosing sides. It's a sign that this is working so far.

If anything, I'm the one being an objective adult, and YOU'RE being the wrestling mark. Face it, Rocks promo tonite missed the fucking mark. He called Cena out again, but never explained himself, or his actions.

He didn't need to, we've got plenty of time for that and his promo sure as shit had a main theme and message; again go back to what I said about The Rock arguing for his love for this business still.

See what I mean about the whole "acting like a mark" thing? I'm not trying to sound condescending when I say that, I just think you don't realize how worked up you're getting over this angle. Which, again, is a good sign.

Faster, though totally unrelated to this conversation, wasn't half bad. Certainly better than any WWE or Hogan film ever. Plus Southland Tales was great. But this isn't about The Rock's movies. Who are you to say The Rock stopped caring about wrestling? People need breaks from the business sometime, especially when you've grown up in that business since the day you were born. I don't see you and others getting all pissy every time Chris Jericho leaves to go play in his shitty band, act in B-movies and write books.

The Rock doesn't owe you or the fans anything more than what he's already given. You seem to think he does.

Rock did movies for Disney because he wanted to be in stuf that his daughter could enjoy, and attacking Rock for the quality of the movies he's in, is really kinda stupid when you're trying to defend Cena in all this, I'd rather watch only one of the Rocks movies over the shit Cena has put out, speaking of which, those WWE films Cena has made, yeah without the Rocks success in film WWE would've never started a films division, and Cena likely would never have been given the shot at acting that he has as a result

Which is kinda the point Rock was trying to make tonight btw

After a second watch-through of The Rock's promo... I'm not ashamed to admit I was totally in the wrong. It wasn't great, but it was by no means bad. I think I A) was upset that it wasn't live, B) put off by the lack of creativity put into the opening, and 3) missed the part where Rock talks about the things that Cena said about him originally.

He does a good job addressing the issues and convincing me of his love for the industry. I've said numerous times that he doesn't owe the WWE jack shit, but I still wasn't convinced that he loved the WWE as much as he claimed to. I'm convinced now, and even if he doesn't love the WWE as much as he claims to he sure as hell sold me on it and that's all that really matters.

He didn't really electrify me like he usually is able to, but hey, he's only human, it's unfair to expect all of his promos to be perfect.

After watching it the first time I gave that promo a C-. Now, I'm going to give it a B+. It didn't live up to my expectations (which are admittedly very high), but he did accomplish a lot and moved the feud forward rather than just letting it get derailed into just two guys exchanging insults.

Once again, I admit that I was wrong, and I have grown to appreciate this promo. It won't be in the promo of the year category by any means, but it was fairly solid.

2152qs.png

Pretty sure it was the other way around, with Cena starting it. Hence, the Rock referencing how he started this. I could be wrong.
Again, I am unsure too as to when Cena made his first comments. I have thought it was after Rocks Hall of Fame appearance, but I'm not 100% sure. Either way, again, Cena spoke the truth then. Rock abandoned wrestling (which he's allowed to do, by the way) for 7 years, and claims to have always loved it.

It's pretty common knowledge about the Rock and Cena's supposed real life heat, it's why they've been referencing past remarks since the beginning. His promo was basically directed at not just Cena, but all of the fans that have criticized him for leaving over the last few years. And he hit a home run in that department, because it's hard to question The Rock's love for the business when he reminds us of where he came from, who his family is, and how proud he still is of all of his accomplishments in the WWE.
again, just because his family was in the business doesn't mean he loves it. My father and my Grandfather could have both been rocket scientists, but that doesn't mean I love rocket science my whole life. And I don't argue that he loved the business at one point, or that he loves the success he had in the business. I argue that for 7 years, he didn't love the business, since he strayed as far away from it as possible. He abandoned using "The Rock", didn't appear on WWE TV even if somehow his schedule permitted it.

The rest of the promo was average stuff, sure, but the main message of it I thought was brilliant in that regard.
The message was that he's pissed at Cena. We got that 2 weeks ago. He said 2 weeks ago he was gonna get to Cena. "I'll see Cena at WrestleMania..." was the exact line.

But you sound more like you're just mad at The Rock for the things he's been saying on RAW each week...which is kind of the point of it dude. You're well aware of how scripted wrestling is and you're buying into this feud hook line and sinker, stepping up and choosing sides. It's a sign that this is working so far.
Oh, I know it's working. I know it's a great feud. However, the one thing is that this isn't my opinion as of 2 weeks ago. It's my opinion as of years ago. I loved The Rock the professional wrestler. I actually liked a few of Dwayne Johnsons movies. However, I don't like the fact that he abandoned the business that made him, and in his only live appearance, he mocked the people that picked up the slack after he left.

See what I mean about the whole "acting like a mark" thing? I'm not trying to sound condescending when I say that, I just think you don't realize how worked up you're getting over this angle. Which, again, is a good sign.
Again, go back to my this isn't just about the wrestling angle, this is about the man leaving and abandoning the company.

Faster, though totally unrelated to this conversation, wasn't half bad. Certainly better than any WWE or Hogan film ever. Plus Southland Tales was great. But this isn't about The Rock's movies.
I'm actually yet to see Southland Tales. You should add in some more not bad movies too. I loved Gameplan (for what it was, a family movie, and he was awesome in it). I enjoyed Walking Tall. And I liked him in Get Smart.

Who are you to say The Rock stopped caring about wrestling? People need breaks from the business sometime, especially when you've grown up in that business since the day you were born. I don't see you and others getting all pissy every time Chris Jericho leaves to go play in his shitty band, act in B-movies and write books.
1. Fozzy isn't a shitty band.
2. Chris Jericho was in wrestling for 15 years, and when he left, while he didn't do any wrestling, he at least didn't ignore wrestling.
3. Jericho then came back and gave us the best work of his career for 3 fucking years. No one expects The Rock to do that.
4. Jericho was gone for 2 years. If he was gone for 7, and COMPLETELY IGNORED wrestling the whole time, I'd be a bit pissed. I highly doubt he'd do that though, especially if there ever was a time where he needed a quick plug for one of his GOOD non-wrestling ventures.
5. If The Rock loved wrestling so fucking much (like you claim), where the fuck was he when wrestling (in specific WWE) needed people not working in WWE to support them the entire fucking universe despise wrestling thanks to Chris Fucking Benoit? He was no where. Jericho, not employed by WWE, did media appearances. Rock could have, and SHOWN that he loved wrestling, but instead he didn't, and he ignored it. Thus, Jericho gets a complete fucking pass, because he PROVED he loved this business, even when he wasn't in it.

The Rock doesn't owe you or the fans anything more than what he's already given. You seem to think he does.
No, actually, The Rock owes the fans one thing. THE TRUTH, which he has yet to give. Admit that, while he loved wrestling, and it was time to move on, that he made a mistake by ignoring wrestling for 7 years, and that he didn't love it enough to at least make sporadic appearances.

1. Fozzy isn't a shitty band.

The 80s called. Hair Metal belongs back there. They'd like it back.

2. Chris Jericho was in wrestling for 15 years, and when he left, while he didn't do any wrestling, he at least didn't ignore wrestling.

And you really believe that The Rock was completely ignoring wrestling? That he wasn't watching. Besides that, I'm willing to venture out and say that making a movie takes up a wee little more out of your schedule then appearing on "I Love the 80s, Part One Million". Besides that, sure, Jericho spent fifteen years wrestling. His fifteen years left about half of the impact of the four or five years of The Rock's pride. Rock did more for wrestling in a third of the time

3. Jericho then came back and gave us the best work of his career for 3 fucking years. No one expects The Rock to do that.

Because guest hosts and game shows aren't enough to stabilize him. Look, let's be real. Do you really think that if Chris Jericho could sustain himself as an actor in Hollywood, he'd ever come back?

That's what I thought.
4. Jericho was gone for 2 years. If he was gone for 7, and COMPLETELY IGNORED wrestling the whole time, I'd be a bit pissed. I highly doubt he'd do that though, especially if there ever was a time where he needed a quick plug for one of his GOOD non-wrestling ventures

This is what, his second sabbatical. He's said often, just like The Rock, that his interest isn't solely in wrestling. The only difference is, Jericho can't sustain himself solely on his other interests.

5. If The Rock loved wrestling so fucking much (like you claim), where the fuck was he when wrestling (in specific WWE) needed people not working in WWE to support them the entire fucking universe despise wrestling thanks to Chris Fucking Benoit? He was no where. Jericho, not employed by WWE, did media appearances. Rock could have, and SHOWN that he loved wrestling, but instead he didn't, and he ignored it. Thus, Jericho gets a complete fucking pass, because he PROVED he loved this business, even when he wasn't in it.

Right, because a publicist wouldn't come to The Rock the next day, and tell him that was career suicide.

Face it, defending The Rock at that time would have been career suicide. The WWE was toxic waste at that time. Why should the Rock want to touch it?

Storm, I'm starting to disagree with you here. Can you really blame The Rock for not wanting to wrestle anymore even if he loved it? We bash so many wrestlers for not knowing when to hang up their boots, so why should we bash The Rock for getting out of the game before it was too late? I applaud The Rock for his ability to remove himself from Wrestling and transition into Hollywood. I don't take this to mean that he doesn't love professional wrestling, I just think that it means he gave us everything he could in the WWE and he is ready to move on.

Look, I pose a question to those defending Rock, because I'm starting to see this debate dig itself deeper and deeper into a ditch.

What exactly did you disagree with on John Cena's promo last week?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back