Time Machine: The 1st WrestleZone Forums Election

tdmoon

Pre-Show Stalwart
I post infrequently but spend a fair amount of time reading through old threads. Yesterday, I stumbled across the election to appoint a new mod, and holy shit. I wasn't around back then(2012), so I'm curious to hear from those that were. Was this board that busy all the time then, or was it the topic itself that drove so many posts? I've read quite a bit of it but have only scratched the tip of the iceberg(yeah, yeah, I know....lurk moar). In the early going an enormous amount of posts made it seem one candidate would walk away with it but he somehow ended up losing in a landslide. I still haven't run across where or how it went sideways for him. One of the threads linked a prison thread about an ex-mod and that has side-tracked me a bit as well.

Were things always this chaotic then or was this an anomaly? I know the annual WZ tournament attracts a lot of attention, were there events other than that and the election that generated so much activity? Did this election have any effect on the board after it was over?

We were still pulling in pretty good numbers, but there was definitely a spike in activity for the mod election.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the landslide or early favorites. If I had to guess, Coco would have been the obvious favorite, but then Dagger won, but I don't remember it being by THAT much. I know the final 3 candidates were Dagger, Coco, and Crock. Dagger had (and probably still has) a contingency of loyal followers that helped him promise green rep in exchange for votes, which many speculate is what won him the election. There were no rules against doing this, but Coco was too carefree/anti-establishment/didn't care enough to do that, and Crock probably would have done that if he had less self-respect/more people who would help him with it.

The only effects of the election were that Dagger Dias was made mod. Coco went back to doing his thing in the spam sections, Crock went back to trying to be made mod through the conventional process, and Dagger became the most prolific infractor of all time.

In terms of chaos... I'm not sure what you mean by that. The election certainly brought it's fair share of drama, but I think it was MOSTLY in good fun, and I don't think anyone was really too butthurt about the results. I was probably among the more butthurt by the outcome and even I didn't mind that much. I was a mod at the time and I left the team, but I don't really remember why. I think it's because I just didn't think I'd work well with Dagger, which is probably true since he's notoriously sexist, homophobic, and holds racial prejudices I disagree with. Dagger sux

The only other events I can think of that brought that kind of attention were the WZ Tournaments, to a lesser extent the minor tournaments like the Survivor Series Poster tournament and BattleZone Tournament, and major wrestling events like when Nexus debuted or CM Punk did the pipe bomb promo.

Thank you, JGlass, for an in-depth answer.

Yes, it was Coco who seemed to be the obvious favorite. Most of the posts(that I've read so far, at least) seemed to support him, along with many of the mods and longer-tenured members. That's why I was surprised to see him lose so handily. Final tally was Dagger with 133, Coco with 75 and the Crock with 52.

Maybe chaos was an exaggeration on my part, "fair share of drama" is probably a better phrase. Since I wasn't around it's harder to understand things in the context of when they were written, my impression so far was it was mostly a campaign of shit-slinging. A bit like real politics, I guess.

I haven't run across the Survivor Series Poster or Battlezone Tournaments yet so maybe I'll check those out after I'm done wading through the election.

Is that Gelgarin guy still around? I'd check out his stuff if he is still on one of the forums, I enjoy reading those with an old-school bent.

You know you're WZ old when not only do you remember the contents of the 'Time Machine' thread, but you also didn't realise that was classed as old.

Trump learned everything about using racial prejudices to win elections from Dagger.

In fact I have scant evidence but I truly believe that Crock is Donald Trump. His election loss and disappearance around Trump's rise in politics is just too coincidental.

Nevermind, Crock's grammar was at least four grades higher than Trump's.

You know you're WZ old when not only do you remember the contents of the 'Time Machine' thread, but you also didn't realise that was classed as old.

Five years doesn't seem that old, but I figured that if topics such as Wrestlemania 32, Damien Sandow and Cody Rhodes are considered "old school" wrestling, five years ago could be classified as old for this site.

I remember turning down the option to run this thing. How does that make me feel?

Smart, I would think.

I'm curious about the remark that "Trump learned everything about using racial prejudices to win elections from Dagger." I'd have thought it would have been Coco used as an example? I was just reading where he had once changed his name to "Ku Klux Koko" and sported a sig with swastikas. Of course, he didn't win, so there's that. As I've said, there is still a lot to read so I may be missing something.

Smart, I would think.

I'm curious about the remark that "Trump learned everything about using racial prejudices to win elections from Dagger." I'd have thought it would have been Coco used as an example? I was just reading where he had once changed his name to "Ku Klux Koko" and sported a sig with swastikas. Of course, he didn't win, so there's that. As I've said, there is still a lot to read so I may be missing something.

Well Coco was Canadian and that wouldn't be making America great again.

Five years doesn't seem that old, but I figured that if topics such as Wrestlemania 32, Damien Sandow and Cody Rhodes are considered "old school" wrestling, five years ago could be classified as old for this site.

It probably is. I just feel old.

Dagger sent PMs out for votes > I did a swap, a vote for Dagger in the election for a vote in WZCW Unscripted (our Cyber Sunday) > Kermit's character Chris KO was defeated by me and he was blasted as a horrible face character > Kermit changed his character following his defeat > Kermit defeated Lee twice in the following months > Lee got super mad > Lee returned in 2015 with a vengeance to right the wrongs at the hands of Kermit > Lee has held the Eurasian Championship ever since, breaking the records for longest title reign and successful defenses.

Dagger sent PMs out for votes > I did a swap, a vote for Dagger in the election for a vote in WZCW Unscripted (our Cyber Sunday) > Kermit's character Chris KO was defeated by me and he was blasted as a horrible face character > Kermit changed his character following his defeat > Kermit defeated Lee twice in the following months > Lee got super mad > Lee returned in 2015 with a vengeance to right the wrongs at the hands of Kermit > Lee has held the Eurasian Championship ever since, breaking the records for longest title reign and successful defenses.

I remember this. Your PM request about the Unscripted votes when I wasn't even RP'ing yet was part of what made me re-think trying WZCW when for the longest time I wasn't interested. That, and Killjoy/FalKon/FunKay kept encouraging me to.

Hard to believe the election was almost 6 years ago.

Had I been around at the time, I would have definitely supported Crock. Dagger seemed too much like a loose cannon at the time, but he thankfully improved tenfold, and Coco's run seemed more to make a statement about "Let's get this guy in power" than a serious candidate.

Had I been around at the time, I would have definitely supported Crock. Dagger seemed too much like a loose cannon at the time, but he thankfully improved tenfold, and Coco's run seemed more to make a statement about "Let's get this guy in power" than a serious candidate.

People like you are exactly why we wanted to Coco to win.

Ahh the good old days of being an active forum member, eh? I was pressed pretty hard to run and get that mod spot. In fact I was called a shoe-in. I couldn't lose. Everyone loved Theo. It's a shame Theo didn't love everyone . Don't ask why I just went into third person. Long day at work I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back