Why John Cena Shouldn't Go Heel

Heel turns are necessary to refresh a character, it's been done to every single wrestler in the past multiple times in their career.
John Cena is no exception.

For years the 'E' were far to comfortable just having Cena at the top and no one else, that's business suicide in my opinion. What if Cena got injured? an injury that could end his career or have him out of action for 6 months to a year? He's one injury away from retirement, he's already had one serious neck injury in the past.

If WWE hadn't shot themselves in the foot they should have produced more main-eventers to fall back on when & if Cena were to make the turn.
Now there stuck in a position, if Cena turns Heel who will be the new main-event babyface?
We're stuck with Cena who's staler than stale.

This may be the case, however, Cena shouldn't get the blame for this, the "E" should. It's like the Colts organizations in the NFL. They built this larger than life QB(Peyton Manning) who was invincible so they never invested in a reliable backup. He hurt his neck and had surgery. Now, without him, the Colts can't get a win. Although the "E" are putting their best foot forward in an attempt to establish more main eventers, it's just not happening right now. You need guys like CM PUnk and ADR to step up and carry the torch.

As far as ppl booing Cena because he has a clean image, I dont think most fans hate him because of this. Its because he has been shoved down our throat for 5+ years. Yes there have been other stars who have remained at the top for several years, but almost all have undergone some type of change, such as face to heel, in that period of time. You have to freshen up your character every once in a while. Look at Undertaker, do you really think he would still be employed if he had kept the same image since his debut. Undertaker knew a character, because of its limitations could not last, thats why he had to change every couple of years, whether it was to the M.O.D or American Badass, he had to reinvent himself with the times. Like I said, there isnt any star not Austin, Rock, HHH, you name him that didnt change his character atleast somewhat in this long a period of time. Maybe this very moment is not the right time for Cena, but there were other times throughout the last 5 years, where it could have happened but Vince was more concerned with selling merchandise that making any real waves in the product, which could have reaped a bigger reward, too late to know now. I just dont get it, people act as though he wouldnt be able to go back from turning heel, like the audience in the crowd dosent already tow the line when WWE changes a character from heel to face or something.

As far as ppl booing Cena because he has a clean image, I dont think most fans hate him because of this. Its because he has been shoved down our throat for 5+ years. Yes there have been other stars who have remained at the top for several years, but almost all have undergone some type of change, such as face to heel, in that period of time. You have to freshen up your character every once in a while. Look at Undertaker, do you really think he would still be employed if he had kept the same image since his debut. Undertaker knew a character, because of its limitations could not last, thats why he had to change every couple of years, whether it was to the M.O.D or American Badass, he had to reinvent himself with the times. Like I said, there isnt any star not Austin, Rock, HHH, you name him that didnt change his character atleast somewhat in this long a period of time. Maybe this very moment is not the right time for Cena, but there were other times throughout the last 5 years, where it could have happened but Vince was more concerned with selling merchandise that making any real waves in the product, which could have reaped a bigger reward, too late to know now. I just dont get it, people act as though he wouldnt be able to go back from turning heel, like the audience in the crowd dosent already tow the line when WWE changes a character from heel to face or something.
Cena's core character is the same, sure, but to act like he hasn't shown any range over the last couple of years is ridiculous. He did some tremendous acting in the Nexus storyline when he was forced to be a slave. He's gone toe to toe with the Rock in two different: comedy-style rapping and a serious promo outlining why all of Rock's reasons for hating him are completely ridiculous and lacking any kind of substance. He matched Punk in making insider references in the buildup to SummerSlam. The dude doesn't need to change his character completely to switch up his style. Also, the reason that Rock and Austin didn't stay the same for long periods of time is because they left. They were still the company's two top faces in 2002 and had they stuck around, they would have continued to be. And they likely wouldn't have changed at all, because WWE sticks to the formulas that work.

Do the people who want to keep Cena the same live in some kind of WWE buble ? Have you guys not noticed the mixed reaction he has gotten nearly every night for 5 or 6 years. Please tell me when the WWE or any wrestling company went against the reaction of their fans like this, because I cant think of any instance of such. Its not as though only internet fans are sick of him, the live audiences, which im sure you would say are those who matter most, have been calling for a change for years and yet Vince and Co. have the nerve to blow them off like that. I'm sorry but I thought he was supposed to shape the show around what the reactions of the crowd was. If it was Rock, Austin, HBK, whoever, something would have changed. Vince was obsessed with getting Cena over and he was going to do it no matter what. That is a slap in the face to the fans.

Anyways, maybe you didnt read a thread i made, but I went about arguing why I think there is a ridiculous notion now spouted about, that major babyfaces in the company turning heel will really hurt the WWE so they shouldn't take such chances. I dont think this is accurate and I gave examples where such a event took place, and ill state them here.

1997 - Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart easily the two top stars in WWE went heel, one trashed America and the other made DX, helped spur the attitude era. WWE begins to beat its main wrestling rival in WCW, who had been doing significantly better financially. Austin wasnt a top babyface yet, although he was starting to get hot, so he didnt really fill the void.

1998 - Undertaker & The Rock another pair of stars who, one was already a monster babyface and star of the show, and the other who was coming into position to become a top star, turned heel the same night it all came together for him. Here, yes Austin was the top babyface most of the year, but someone other than him, Mankind got to a chance to become a star while he was out of the picture. So WWE actually made 2 legit stars during this program, with Austin out of the title scene. Turning Rock heel was one of the best decisons WWE ever made, made millions from him.

2001 - Austin the face of the WWE turns heel on the biggest stage at WM, where only 'good guys' are supposed to win. Went on a pretty good and strong heel run. Despite being the face of WWE as you put it, remains champion over 6 or 7 months. Rocky and HHH werent around most of that time, so if they were losing money because he was a heel, why did Austin remain champion so long ?

1996 - WCW allowing Hogan to turn heel did more for pro wrestling than any single event in this history of the businesses. Without that moment, there probably wouldnt have been an attitude era and WWE would still have promoting Doink the Clown, and struggling financially as they did much of the mid-90s.

The kids are always going to watch. Other demographics are the ones being ignored. Think about how a heel Cena would instantaneously cause a ripple in the waters. Not only this, but it would actually help elevate someone else to fill the void of the hero. Im not saying he should do it now, but this assertion that he has to remain face for the rest of his career because of charities and children is absurd. If you don't change or adapt in life, you will never go anywhere.

Heel turns are necessary to refresh a character, it's been done to every single wrestler in the past multiple times in their career.
John Cena is no exception.

This is one of the leading arguments for why Cena should turn. Heel turns were made specifically so faces could refresh their routine if it got stale. Cena's routine became stale 5 years ago or so. The main point here is that any other wrestler receiving the same reaction as Cena would've been turned by now. Instead, Cena is afforded special treatment and an exception is made since he caters to kids. Why should Cena be treated any differently than any other wrestler? I'd say it'll take more than weak excuses like he's not "mean" enough or b/c he does the make a wish stuff.

For years the 'E' were far to comfortable just having Cena at the top and no one else, that's business suicide in my opinion. What if Cena got injured? an injury that could end his career or have him out of action for 6 months to a year? He's one injury away from retirement, he's already had one serious neck injury in the past.

That is another good point. The WWE hasn't made new stars and depended on Cena to be the sole top guy. Which isn't a smart move at all considering Cena has already been injured on multiple occasions. Meaning he might have two years left or 15. It's a matter of Cena staying healthy and avoiding injury. However, if he was forced to retire, WWE would be up the creek without a paddle. I do admit Cena isn't to blame for WWE being lazy, but WWE should be smart enough to keep making new stars. The more stars you make, the less likely they are to suffer if one is forced to retire. Right now, if Cena left, RAW would only be left with CM Punk as the main top star. One name isn't enough depth IMO to carry a brand(which WWE has done for years now with Cena).

If WWE hadn't shot themselves in the foot they should have produced more main-eventers to fall back on when & if Cena were to make the turn.
Now there stuck in a position, if Cena turns Heel who will be the new main-event babyface?
We're stuck with Cena who's staler than stale.

Again, I must point out Cena isn't to blame for WWE not being smart enough to produce new stars. WWE got lazy b/c they found one megastar with Cena and decided to make him the face of WWE and no one else. Somehow they saw him as the next Austin or Rock, which he is neither of those guys. He is a talented guy who has earned his spot, but he isn't on Austin or Rock's level IMO. Cena doesn't have the depth to turn heel or mic skills as great as Austin or Rock to be compared to them. Plus, both Austin and the Rock were used to build new stars, so again the analogy isn't correct.

With WM coming and his imminent match with The Rock getting closer and closer, WWE should have enough common sense to know Cena will be booed at WM. Heck, I'd bet he'll be booed when The Rock shows up at Survivor Series. From then until WM, he'll be booed, so why keep up the charade that he shouldn't turn? I'm sure no one buys that, and it's a convient way of ignoring half you fanbase and justifying a stale character. Cena has earned some of my respect back this year with his noticable improvements, but I'd respect him even more if he did what is right for business. And that is listening to what fans have been saying for 5 years, TURN HEEL ALREADY. That is a time honored tradition in wrestling and John Cena isn't bigger than WWE or the wrestling tradition it represents.

Do the people who want to keep Cena the same live in some kind of WWE buble ? Have you guys not noticed the mixed reaction he has gotten nearly every night for 5 or 6 years.
When has anyone in this thread denied that he gets mixed reactions?
Please tell me when the WWE or any wrestling company went against the reaction of their fans like this, because I cant think of any instance of such.
You're right in that there hasn't been one, but you can chalk to Cena being the only guy in history to have the burden of taking over for Rock and Austin as the top face. I have no way of knowing this for sure, obviously, but I'm willing to wager that if Cena had been the one to put wrestling on the map in the 80s and Hogan had come along after Rock and Austin, he would be the one getting the mixed reactions and people whining about how stale he is.
Its not as though only internet fans are sick of him, the live audiences, which im sure you would say are those who matter most, have been calling for a change for years and yet Vince and Co. have the nerve to blow them off like that. I'm sorry but I thought he was supposed to shape the show around what the reactions of the crowd was. If it was Rock, Austin, HBK, whoever, something would have changed. Vince was obsessed with getting Cena over and he was going to do it no matter what. That is a slap in the face to the fans.
They could afford to turn Rock or Austin heel because they had BOTH of them. WWE has one top face that they can really count on. Yes, they also have Orton and Punk, neither of which makes them anywhere near as much money as Cena does. Rock and Austin both made the WWE insane amounts of money, and therefore they didn't both have to be face for them to keep making that money.
Anyways, maybe you didnt read a thread i made, but I went about arguing why I think there is a ridiculous notion now spouted about, that major babyfaces in the company turning heel will really hurt the WWE so they shouldn't take such chances. I dont think this is accurate and I gave examples where such a event took place, and ill state them here.

1997 - Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart easily the two top stars in WWE went heel, one trashed America and the other made DX, helped spur the attitude era. WWE begins to beat its main wrestling rival in WCW, who had been doing significantly better financially. Austin wasnt a top babyface yet, although he was starting to get hot, so he didnt really fill the void.
Wasn't WCW kicking Raw's ass in the ratings in 97? The WWE didn't start to get the upper hand until the rise of Stone Cold. So no, not a good example. They were already in a slide and turning those two guys heel changed nothing.
1998 - Undertaker & The Rock another pair of stars who, one was already a monster babyface and star of the show, and the other who was coming into position to become a top star, turned heel the same night it all came together for him. Here, yes Austin was the top babyface most of the year, but someone other than him, Mankind got to a chance to become a star while he was out of the picture. So WWE actually made 2 legit stars during this program, with Austin out of the title scene. Turning Rock heel was one of the best decisons WWE ever made, made millions from him.
You can stop right at the bolded because you defeated your own point. Austin was the Cena of 1998 in terms of position of the company, so they turned other people heel, but not him. If they had turned Austin heel and taken a chance on Rock becoming huge, then you might have an argument.
2001 - Austin the face of the WWE turns heel on the biggest stage at WM, where only 'good guys' are supposed to win. Went on a pretty good and strong heel run. Despite being the face of WWE as you put it, remains champion over 6 or 7 months. Rocky and HHH werent around most of that time, so if they were losing money because he was a heel, why did Austin remain champion so long ?
WWE started to lose steam after Mania X-Seven for that very reason, along with the fact that WCW was no longer around so there wasn't any competition. There's a reason as to why that event is looked at as the end of the Attitude Era. Did you notice that Austin was a face again by the end of the year? That was because they realized that they had made a mistake and they needed to correct it. Why would they make the same mistake with Cena now, when they have Rocky even less than they did then?
1996 - WCW allowing Hogan to turn heel did more for pro wrestling than any single event in this history of the businesses. Without that moment, there probably wouldnt have been an attitude era and WWE would still have promoting Doink the Clown, and struggling financially as they did much of the mid-90s.
I'll give you this one, but that worked because WCW was trying to beat WWE by doing something different. WWE isn't trying to beat anyone right now, because they're the undisputed number one and that isn't changing anytime soon. So again, why would they turn Cena? They don't need to rise any higher than they already are. WCW did it because they needed something big, WWE doesn't need it at all.
The kids are always going to watch. Other demographics are the ones being ignored. Think about how a heel Cena would instantaneously cause a ripple in the waters. Not only this, but it would actually help elevate someone else to fill the void of the hero. Im not saying he should do it now, but this assertion that he has to remain face for the rest of his career because of charities and children is absurd. If you don't change or adapt in life, you will never go anywhere.
Other demographics are always going to watch too. People aren't going to stop watching because of Cena. If they did, they wouldn't be constantly bitching about him, because they would have no reason to. As I've said many times throughout this debate, I would rather appeal to all my demographics with different types of faces, like WWE is doing now, as opposed to making every face an anti-hero and leaving nothing for the kids and families. I'd say that makes much more business sense than what you and others are proposing.

Okay so going back to the example of Hogan turning heel in 1996, since you claim the company needs a top babyface and a heel cant carry the company on his back, then who was the top baby face in WCW in 1996 that could fill Hogan's void ??? Wasnt Sting, in fact, they took Sting out of the picture for an extended period, leaving them with even one less babyface. So who else ? Savage and the Giant, I didnt see them get some mega push, within months they were both part of the n.w.o. So Hogan went on, as a heel, to hold the belt for a year, until Lex Luger took it from him, only for Hogan to get it back within a week. Then Sting after a year in a half of Hogan being top dog, despite being heel, faces him in match and gets the big win. Within a month or two, though, Hogan was champ again. Now you could say the n.w.o wasnt a long term strategy but that dosent change the fact that for nearly a two year period, WCW survived on the backs of a mega heel not a babyface. And they didnt just survive the heel faction made them tons of money and it put them ahead of the WWE as the biggest wrestling company in the world. That's because people would pay to see Hogan lose, so it works both ways, if it can be booked properly.

Okay so going back to the example of Hogan turning heel in 1996, since you claim the company needs a top babyface and a heel cant carry the company on his back, then who was the top baby face in WCW in 1996 that could fill Hogan's void ??? Wasnt Sting, in fact, they took Sting out of the picture for an extended period, leaving them with even one less babyface. So who else ? Savage and the Giant, I didnt see them get some mega push, within months they were both part of the n.w.o. So Hogan went on, as a heel, to hold the belt for a year, until Lex Luger took it from him, only for Hogan to get it back within a week. Then Sting after a year in a half of Hogan being top dog, despite being heel, faces him in match and gets the big win. Within a month or two, though, Hogan was champ again. Now you could say the n.w.o wasnt a long term strategy but that dosent change the fact that for nearly a two year period, WCW survived on the backs of a mega heel not a babyface. And they didnt just survive the heel faction made them tons of money and it put them ahead of the WWE as the biggest wrestling company in the world. That's because people would pay to see Hogan lose, so it works both ways, if it can be booked properly.

I see what you are saying, but I have to disagree with you. Partly because the WCW went under. They couldn't sustain the run they were on and everyone was either nWo, or a cruiserweight. There was DDP, Luge, Sting, and Goldberg against the nWo. Now it worked for a while and they had a short stint at the top, but it faded and that's what a turn would do for Cena. Your key words were, if done right. I don't have a lot of faith in creative and something of that magnitude needs to be carefully handled.

What annoys me as well is that people act as though Cena won't be able to go back to being a baby-face if he switches for a period. Since when has this ever been a big deal, WWE has switched every major character from good to bad with a snap of the fingers, and the fans just go in lockstep with the direction of the show anyway.

What annoys me as well is that people act as though Cena won't be able to go back to being a baby-face if he switches for a period. Since when has this ever been a big deal, WWE has switched every major character from good to bad with a snap of the fingers, and the fans just go in lockstep with the direction of the show anyway.

Yes, they switch characters back and for quite often, but did they do that with Hulk Hogan? No, they didn't. Today's product resembles Hogan's era more than the Attitude Era, which is why I'm choosing that as an example. Look, the top guy, with that big of a fan following, who blows EVERYBODY away when it comes to being a draw should not be turned heel, for multiple reasons. Not only is there nobody to take his place, but it doesn't fit his character at all.

Cena isn't your average superstar, so you shouldn't expect that of him. You need to realize that. I'm sure Cena could get major heat, but for how long? There's no reason to flip him and cater to the percentage of fans that want him as a heel when an overwhelming majority of the audience has no problem with him as a face.

Wasn't WCW kicking Raw's ass in the ratings in 97? The WWE didn't start to get the upper hand until the rise of Stone Cold. So no, not a good example. They were already in a slide and turning those two guys heel changed nothing.
They might have been down in the ratings but when those 2 turned heel the product improved tremendously. Buyrates and attendance also increased--taped Raws began selling out weekly and Summerslam sold out a 20,000+ seat arena, something that's hard to do today with the lack of talent. Interest began to grow and wrestling fans weren't just confined with WCW like they were before Wrestlemania. Austin was obviously a big factor, but to discredit Bret and HBK is foolish. From Austin 3:16 at KOTR into mid 97 the WWE was thisclose to going out of business despite Austin being built up.
There's no reason to flip him and cater to the percentage of fans that want him as a heel when an overwhelming majority of the audience has no problem with him as a face.
If the majority of the audience has no problem with it, why does Cena continue to get half-booed out the building nearly every week since 2006? In non-smark cities no less? As the top face he even gets booed in his hometown for pete's sake! That's embarrassing! How can you justify that?

Yes, they switch characters back and for quite often, but did they do that with Hulk Hogan? No, they didn't. Today's product resembles Hogan's era more than the Attitude Era, which is why I'm choosing that as an example. Look, the top guy, with that big of a fan following, who blows EVERYBODY away when it comes to being a draw should not be turned heel, for multiple reasons. Not only is there nobody to take his place, but it doesn't fit his character at all.

It's wrong on so many levels to compare today's wrestling to Hogan's era. Fans today are alot smarter when it comes to reconizing talent and knowing when a character is stale. Cena is talented for being a mediocre wrestler that WWE has literally forced on the fans. While I do agree he's become a draw for WWE, the only reason he "BLOWS EVERYBODY AWAY" is b/c WWE hasn't focused on making any other top names but Cena. The only person WWE has who is close to being as big a draw as Cena is CM Punk.

And again, it's ignorant to say nobody can take Cena's place. Several guys could take Cena's spot if he turns. CM Punk, Rey Mysterio(when he's not injured)as well as other young guys like Morrison, Mason Ryan, Jack Swagger, Dolph Ziggler(probably be huge if he turns). Cena will remain a top draw for WWE, heel or face. WWE has built him up so well, fans connect with him regardless. And the whole "it doesn't fit his character" logic is faulty at best. Just b/c his character is similar to Hogan's doesn't mean he should NEVER turn. Hogan did it after years of ppl saying it couldn't be done, and look how successful it was. Notice as well that he was still a huge draw for WCW despite that fact. All in all, lame excuses are all I've seen to justify WWE and Cena refusing to acknowledge his very mixed reactions.

Cena isn't your average superstar, so you shouldn't expect that of him. You need to realize that. I'm sure Cena could get major heat, but for how long? There's no reason to flip him and cater to the percentage of fans that want him as a heel when an overwhelming majority of the audience has no problem with him as a face.

Wow, once again we have a know it all claiming to state opinion as indisputable fact. Cena isn't above wrestling tradition or history. Meaning no logic can justify not acknowledging half the audience BOOING him on a regular basis. You tend to contradict yourself in that above quote. You said an "overwhelming majority of the audience has no problem with him as a face". Yet, you said right before that he'd be able to get major heat. One statement cancels out the other, thus making your whole argument a hypocritical remark.

Most fans here concede that Cena is getting heavily mixed reactions. So, saying most fans accept him is an inaccurate viewpoint. Maybe half the fans accept his stale routine, but that is accounted for by women and children. Adults and teens are tired of seeing his refusal to do the right thing and turn. 5 years is a long time to be ignoring half your fans and mocking them. Any other superstar receiving his reaction would've been turned years ago. Why should I buy into the BS that he deserves special treatment or is above every other wrestler? Eventually, every fan will turn against him if he does the same boring, predictable routine. It's a matter of common sense and observing patterns...

If the majority of the audience has no problem with it, why does Cena continue to get half-booed out the building nearly every week since 2006? In non-smark cities no less? As the top face he even gets booed in his hometown for pete's sake! That's embarrassing! How can you justify that?

Exactly, getting booed in his HOMETOWN, thats just pathetic. This whole thing is unprecedented in wrestling because WWE has never blown off its fanbase like this, they usually respond and act accordingly to our reactions. Cena isnt like The Rock, Hogan or Austin because their pushes weren't forced down peoples throat until they were accepted, they came naturally. All three of them won over the crowd, BIG. Pretty much before they were even true mainevent staples they had atleast 90% of the crowd solidly behind them. If the crowd would have reacted this way to them I am certain Vince would have changed his mind about their pushes. Cena at no point in his career has he ever had even close to 90% of the crowd behind him even in 2004/2005. Cena's push, unlike their's was more artificial than anything else. He didnt really win the ENTIRE crowd over, like all three of the major faces of WWE did and hasnt yet. The only thing you could argue is he sells merchandise but still Im certain it didnt start selling like crazy unitil the last couple years, after he had already gone through the forced push of 2006-2007, where he was truly hated and still untested as a true staple of the main event. Anyone could have been in Cena's spot if they had the charisma, he does not as you can see have anywhere near the same true and natural appeal as Austin, Rock or Hogan. Throughout his entire career in WWE Mysterio has gotten larger pops than Cena and has never gotten massive amounts of boos. So why didnt Mysterio become face of WWE, he sells merchandise ? So stop putting Cena on those three legends level, try to imagine putting any of them in Cena's situation, have they ever been booed as a babyface one they were already the staple of the show ? Hogan was starting to get booed in WCW in 1995, and what did they do ? Oh yeah they turned him heel. If Cena was going to be the true face of the WWE it would have been natural, not forced. The Undertaker to me is like a measuring stick, all three of the other guys can get bigger reactions than taker so to me that says a lot. Cena's not even close.

The people here who say that Cena shouldn't turn, literally sound like they are a mouthpiece for the WWE, as if they work for the organization and are overtly concerned about the amount of profit coming into the show. You guys sound more concerned with how much money the company makes than whether they are trying their hardest to put the best possible product on television. I don't think anyone here has suggested Cena has to turn now, today or anytime soon. However, and if I am incorrect in stating this, tell me, the image many here portray is that Cena should never go heel, ever, or at least until kids are completely sick of him, which God only knows how long this will take. And for those who said, WWE needs just as big a star to replace him, well, there is more proof management had its head up its ass the last couple years, not grooming stars, except maybe Orton, and many have said he isn't even big enough. What has WWE done to structure the show in a way that can make up for an incident like Cena getting injured ? You guys are that ridiculous to believe WWE would go out of business because their biggest star undergoes some kind of change. You seem not to even consider how it could make more profit and bring back old fans if done properly, generating interest and compensating for any minor loss. If TNA can stay alive with the crap they put on TV, WWE is not suddenly going to fall apart because they change up a top star. This isn't Hogan's era, people now are not accustomed to guy holding the title for 4+ years like back then. Cena is a one trick pony and his act is all but played out. People used to bitch about HHH earlier in the decade, but eventually, after being a heel about 4 years not 8, he turned face, did DX and got out of the title scene. Cena has to change to survive period. All the signs are there, the constant booing, the declining ratings, the declining buyrates. Is it all his fault ? No, but he is the headliner and the most promoted part of the show. You can see the anger leveled at him everywhere he goes not just these sites. It's not just stupid people booing him, was he booed like this in 2004 or 2005 as a babyface during his initial run ? No, but WWE kept him champ nearly an entire year and then either had him in the hunt or winning it again, all the while never changing up his character. Its been this way for 6 years. I think most people respect the man, John Cena but people are sick of him all the time and with the same stale routine. This is why nothing like this has ever happened before in pro wrestling where the crowd has been reacted this way only to be ignored and no change direction of the show. Its truly embarrassing to see a top star go out and as the hero get booed every week, its a joke.

No he won't turn heel, and everyone should stop acting all offended when someone suggests otherwise. It's not 1996 anymore, and there are more options than (and someone on this forum actually used this phrase) to: "Do the right thing and turn". Cena has been booed since at least 2006, due to a variety of reasons. From his "thuganomics" gimmick (due to "acting black") through his "chain soldier" gimmick (for being lame) right through to now (for being the top guy and even more lame than be. Besides the booing (actually i should put that in caps to blend in with the former posts) the BOOING, has been routinely acknowledged on air, and has been integrated into Cena's persona. Best thing he could do is leave WWE for a while, in the same manner of Jericho

A Cena heel turn would benefit nobody at the moment. There isn't a strong enough face to go up against a heel Cena. Hogan turning worked because Sting was around. Austin turning worked because The Rock was a face on his level. Cena doesn't have that guy. The Rock is probably the closest, but he isn't going to be around forever. CM Punk isn't on Cena's level. Neither is Orton, Triple H or Mysterio. Cena is one of a kind, and as long as he stays one of a kind, he should not turn heel.

A Cena heel turn would benefit nobody at the moment. There isn't a strong enough face to go up against a heel Cena. Hogan turning worked because Sting was around. Austin turning worked because The Rock was a face on his level. Cena doesn't have that guy. The Rock is probably the closest, but he isn't going to be around forever. CM Punk isn't on Cena's level. Neither is Orton, Triple H or Mysterio. Cena is one of a kind, and as long as he stays one of a kind, he should not turn heel.

Then build up a strong face and/or make them look good. Worst case scenario you have Rey Rey, Punk(if he quits the woe-is-me whiny little shrew gimmick), and even the Rock, who are all over. In WCW when Hogan turned Sting turned to the darkside and wasn't around much, so it wasn't really established if he was the face until 97. Plus the nWo angle overshadowed it.

A Cena heel turn--depending on the turn--has the chance of benefiting the WWE in several ways, especially in the long term. For those of you who say "But he appeals to kids!" newsflash: the majority of WWE's fans aren't kids and never were. Plus those kids aren't going to be watching the product in a few years anyway so there's no point in gravitating towards them.

Rey Mysterio is close to retirement. Rock is wrestling one match. Punk's had a lot of momentum as of late but he hasn't proven that he can carry the company like Cena's been doing for years. Maybe he will eventually, but that hasn't happened yet, and until it does, there's no reason to take a chance. WWE can't think like they want to build someone up to take Cena's place. They think like they want the best possible candidate to be the top face, and that's been Cena for years. Contrary to popular belief, it's not broken, and until it is, they're not going to make any attempt to fix it.

Then build up a strong face and/or make them look good. Worst case scenario you have Rey Rey, Punk(if he quits the woe-is-me whiny little shrew gimmick), and even the Rock, who are all over. In WCW when Hogan turned Sting turned to the darkside and wasn't around much, so it wasn't really established if he was the face until 97. Plus the nWo angle overshadowed it.

You can't just build someone like Cena or Rock or Austin. If you could, WWE would be doing it constantly. It just doesn't work like that. Mysterio isn't on Cena's level. Neither is Orton or Punk (now matter how much smarks like to think he is). And, like I said, Rock isn't going to be around after Wrestlemania. When that guy who can match Cena comes up, then I will support a heel turn.

A Cena heel turn--depending on the turn--has the chance of benefiting the WWE in several ways, especially in the long term. For those of you who say "But he appeals to kids!" newsflash: the majority of WWE's fans aren't kids and never were. Plus those kids aren't going to be watching the product in a few years anyway so there's no point in gravitating towards them.

While most WWE fans aren't kids, WWE are doing some of the best business in their history at the moment. And that's when they're appealing to children, so logic dictates that keeping the biggest draw a face is the right thing to do.

And the idea that the kids WWE appeals to at the moment won't be tuning in in the future is flawed. The main reason why wrestling still exists is because it manages to hook people from childhood. You say that the majority of WWE fans aren't kids and never were. I'd guess that the opposite is true.

Plans are for the Rock staying around after Wrestlemania(limited role but will be on TV) and wrestling Cena more than once. Plus like I said, he and Rey Rey and Punk are worst case scenarios. WCW was able to build up Goldberg from a generic nobody to Da Man. It's not impossible for WWE to build up a strong face at or near a top star's level(see Jeff Hardy).

it's not broken
Ratings, buyrates, attendance, and overall product quality tell otherwise.
The guy as the "top babyface" gets booed for a reason, and it's not because it's the cool thing to do. That was 6 years ago. He's stale. He's a representation of what is wrong with the WWE. If they actually gave a crap about what the fans want they'd turn him heel or at least turn him back into the word life, ghetto, pissed-off thug everyone liked in 2003-2005 But nope, they can't even do that. Don't give me the "PG" excuse, they've done edgier stuff under the rating. As for business, inflation and going overseas more than ever have alot to do with it. Take away those two factors and let's just say there might not be a WWE Network right away. Don't make it seem like they're printing money like in 2001.

Rey Mysterio is close to retirement. Rock is wrestling one match. Punk's had a lot of momentum as of late but he hasn't proven that he can carry the company like Cena's been doing for years. Maybe he will eventually, but that hasn't happened yet, and until it does, there's no reason to take a chance. WWE can't think like they want to build someone up to take Cena's place. They think like they want the best possible candidate to be the top face, and that's been Cena for years. Contrary to popular belief, it's not broken, and until it is, they're not going to make any attempt to fix it.

Although I agree WWE shouldn't look for the next John Cena to replace him, CM Punk could easily be in his spot. He's proved since 2006 that he is a very dependable worker and is really starting to break through big time. Fans are solidly behind him and can recognize he is talented enough to carry WWE into the future. Just b/c WWE hasn't handed him the ball to carry the company like Cena has doesn't mean Punk isn't capable of doing just that. I personally think Punk will most definately be the next guy to step up and be the face of WWE once Cena either retires or is replaced as the company guy. There's no denying that he has achieved alot in a little over 5 years, so in another year or two, I could envision Punk leading the new generation of WWE. Hopefully by that point, WWE will have realized that wrestling is just as important as entertainment. You can't ignore what made you successful, which is listening to the fans. When and if Cena turns would be a step in the right direction for me....

Interesting. I see a lot of blind assumptions, personal conclusions, and most importantly, personal bias being thrown around. Let's pull it back for a second and evaluate another portion of this debate no one touches on. It's about John Cena himself. The man by his own accord, is among the top 3 professional athletes in the world and among the top performers in entertainment as a whole in terms of the time he dedicates to charitable organizations and in many cases, also the U.S. armed forces. Cena's clean, handsome look and his clear-cut ethical reputation had made him a near perfect representative for WWE in these matters. Overwhelmingly more so than anyone else on their roster. Also, his charming and non-threatening demeanor makes him an ideal person to interact with the disabled, terminally ill children, and so fourth. Essentially, you're it's doubtful there will be a Cena heel-turn anytime soon because Cena in-ring is one of WWE's most valuable assets outside the ring.

a Cena heel turn would just be something fresh, new and interesting. Hes stale and pretty one dimensional right now with his character. THere hasnt been a better time than now to turn the guy into a monster heel. Align him with Vince..or whoever is trying to screw HHH. Or the feud with Rock could lead to him getting a monsterous amount of boos at WM. Have VInce screw Rock at WM to protect his top guy so he doesnt hurt his company. Imagine the boos if Cena screwed Rock at WM and stole a victory? It would be insane!

Although I agree WWE shouldn't look for the next John Cena to replace him, CM Punk could easily be in his spot. He's proved since 2006 that he is a very dependable worker and is really starting to break through big time. Fans are solidly behind him and can recognize he is talented enough to carry WWE into the future.

Bringing this topic back to it's original discussion, the above statement could be as good a reason as any to turn Cena heel. If Punk is due for a mega-push as a face, who better to oppose him than the company's #1 man?

People like Cena as a face? Sure, but there are tons who detest him, too (illogically, imo). To that end, he'd probably be huge as a heel.

The thing is, it would only be for a while. Nobody stays in a persona forever. If turning Cena heel meant he could never again be a face, I would resist the impulse to turn him. But when you consider the Shawn Michaels-Hulk Hogan program from a few years ago, we saw HBK, in essence, turn bad for one match. If WWE can manage that, they can surely make Cena a bad guy for six months or so. It would encompass his feud with The Rock, as well.....who will surely be functioning as a face during his run. A set-up like this could even make it possible for Rock to go over Cena cleanly, as we want a good guy to do at WM. If it happens that way, Cena might wind up suitably chastened and turn good again at the event.

Meanwhile, Cena helps shoot Punk to the moon. While Cena is involved with Rock next Spring, the championship will rest in Punk's good hands. Everybody wins.

It could work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back