• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

John Cena Superstar = Myth

I'll just say that I agree with what CM Punk said about John Cena. To be more specific, Punk called Cena a phony. This, at least in my opinion is true. Cena would have to be completely ******ed to not know why he gets ripped to shreds by the adult male fanbase.

The obvious reasons are his lame, corny, PG, promos and poopy jokes etc. I won't get into all of them as God knows we've all read them online over 1000 times. The point I'm getting at is the fact that Cena knows all of this, yet hasn't attempted to change at all. Now Cena did say in his face/off with CM Punk that no matter what he does he will never win over "The Millions". This is obviously true, but there is a reason for that. He just isn't talented enough to be where he's at now in his career.

The Rock has even said this. Cena was just a good looking guy with a physique. So Vince just put some bright colored tshirts on him and fed him to the little kids. The best analogy I can come up with is the McDonalds restaurants. Their food just SUCKS. Yet because they have Ronald McDonald and Grimace and happy meals and all that kid friendly marketing crap, they are a global fast food powerhouse.

So in closing, I'll say that I don't blame Cena for not being talented, I'll blame the powers that be (mainly Vince) for Cena being billed as a megastar when in actuality, he's just another talentless guy with big muscles, ala Lex Luger.

This thread lost me with the ******ed accusations of:

A: WCW going under because of ratings.

and

B: John Cena being responsible for lower ratings.

For A, I think it's been well established elsewhere that ratings had nothing to do with WCW going under. For the most part, it was that AOL-Time Warner wanted nothing to do with them, having none of Ted Turner's attachment and loyalty to the brand. On top of that, no one could find a way to run the company that didn't include bleeding tremendous amounts of money.

And for B, you're just fucking wrong. Since that 2001 peak, Raw has always shifted from the high 2's to the low 4's (so pretty much 3's on average), even before Cena was the focus of the programming. Blaming him only shows how little you understand what you are talking about.

I'll just say that I agree with what CM Punk said about John Cena. To be more specific, Punk called Cena a phony. This, at least in my opinion is true. Cena would have to be completely ******ed to not know why he gets ripped to shreds by the adult male fanbase.

The obvious reasons are his lame, corny, PG, promos and poopy jokes etc. I won't get into all of them as God knows we've all read them online over 1000 times. The point I'm getting at is the fact that Cena knows all of this, yet hasn't attempted to change at all. Now Cena did say in his face/off with CM Punk that no matter what he does he will never win over "The Millions". This is obviously true, but there is a reason for that. He just isn't talented enough to be where he's at now in his career.

The Rock has even said this. Cena was just a good looking guy with a physique. So Vince just put some bright colored tshirts on him and fed him to the little kids. The best analogy I can come up with is the McDonalds restaurants. Their food just SUCKS. Yet because they have Ronald McDonald and Grimace and happy meals and all that kid friendly marketing crap, they are a global fast food powerhouse.

So in closing, I'll say that I don't blame Cena for not being talented, I'll blame the powers that be (mainly Vince) for Cena being billed as a megastar when in actuality, he's just another talentless guy with big muscles, ala Lex Luger.

This is hilarious on a multitude of levels. There have been a plethora of guys with big muscles that came to WWE and failed more often than succeeded. I guess Cena is the exception, genius. It can't be that he's charismatic, has had great and memorable, and gets a reaction that 90% of the roster could only dream of. No, it couldn't be that.

I contend that on this website liking Cena has become the new cool thing. And criticizing him has become wrong.

Cena admitted in an interview he did for the movie "Fred" that in the WWE he "plays the triumphant hero." This is why people don't like the character Cena plays. People don't boo John, they boo the gimmick.

I think that criticism should be encouraged. However I have found that people seem to attack those who dare criticize Cena rather than giving a respectable counter-argument and thus showing respect to the poster.

"he draws the most money so stfu!" they say. Well so does Apple Inc. but I don't have to like all their products.

Cena has had the "WWE Marketing Machine" behind him for 6 years now. Half of his reactions are "Xpac Heat". He only legitimately appeals to women and little kids. Anyone who is as obviously not main event material as Cena would get the same sort of reaction.

And I don't know what Cena promos you've been listening to for the past 6 years, but the ones I've listened to are juvenile and most likely scripted. Even his "thuganomics promos weren't that good when you think about it". They were too gimmicky and didn't represent an actual person.

Rock, Austin, Triple H, Chris Jericho, and now Punk all cut relevant honest promos that are informative and entertaining without being childish and gimmicky. Cena's problem is that his character is bullshit and he's not being himself, because to be completely honest, he probably doesn't have much of a personality other than his phony persona with the arm bands and t shirts. Again, I'm just agreeing with things that Dwayne Johnson himself has said.

He only legitimately appeals to women and little kids.

Incorrect. Plenty of fine well adjusted adult males also find John Cena entertaining. This is all slander and bullshit created by the butt hurt Cena haters as a tactic to get folk afraid to admit they like Cena. I see plenty of adult male Cena fans both here and in real life. Stop trying to make it seem as if being a Cena fan makes you less of a man; I'd argue that crying over a wrestling character like you do makes you less of a man and more of a whiny bitch.

Also, you talk about how guys like The Rock don't say childish thing in their promos. EL OH FUCKING EL, you must be stupid. I mean, clearly sticking things up asses isn't the same as childish humor. Clearly, innuendo about pie and female body parts isn't childish. You don't know one thing about what the fuck you are talking about, chump.

I'm about tired of hearing this one tossed around so often, this idea that John Cena is the be-all, end-all of the WWE revenue. He generates so many dollars and sells so much merchandise that he's the "man". He's the franchise of the company and that idea can't be disputed, argued with, or changed. Well I say he ain't that popular. Yeah I said it.

Are you shittin' me? He IS the franchise and he is THAT popular. Moron. Yeah, I said it.

He's the current king of a dying kingdom. The ratings are in the toilet, as are the buyrates. In 2001, the year WCW kicked the bucket, they started the year pulling 3.1's. Those ratings killed them. WWE with Cena the Barbarian recently pulled a 2.9. Something is wrong.

Ratings didn't kill WCW. The fact that they were losing millions of dollars a year, had no support from Turner's people, along with the fact that the show was going to shit and being destroyed by the WWF... yeah, that killed WCW.

On top of that, you really seem to be forgetting that the Attitude Era was a "boom period." Those extremely high ratings were only sustained for 3-4 years before they fell back down to what they were before (in the 3's). Raw doesn't have horrible ratings now, even if they're slightly lower than before, they're in-tune with what wrestling has basically been pulling for years now. You can't grade today's ratings with that of the most successful boom period in history, especially since those same guys that were major draws in the Attitude Era (Rock, Triple H) couldn't sustain it for years thereafter.

Yeah well, the seven year olds love Cena tho right? What seven year olds? Where are these kids? I see a bunch in the front row, but I've never EVER met a 7, 10, or 12 year old kids who liked John Cena. I saw one kid wearing his shirt once. I've seen several with Orton shirts and even many Stone Cold ones still. I'm sure they exist somewhere, but I fail to buy that there's this massive fanbase of little kids watching wrestling who love John Cena. Kids, by and large, don't watch wrestling. It's stupid to them.

You clearly don't watch Raw. Or the WWE for that matter. There are little Cena fans all over the arenas, they're a majority of the fans on many nights. You fail to buy it because you're a fucking dullard.

His movies all flopped. Well, what about the merchandise? Cena doesn't sell Rock-level merchandise, or Austin in his prime merchandise. I'm sure he sells a bunch, but who wouldn't with how hard they're behind him? Meanwhile, the top selling shirt of the past month or two belongs to.....CM Punk. Not John Cena. So why not rush his headbands, hats, shirts, wallets, keychains? Why not put the machine behind him? They struck gold, why not go with it? Instead they're trying to make him look like a whiner who is just mad that he isn't Cena.

Jesus. You know why Austin outsold Cena? Because professional wrestling as a whole was much more popular during his time. They were pulling 6.0's back then. You can't tell me you expect that same thing from today's crowds, can you?

Wrestling Observer said:
It's being reported that John Cena's 2008 merchandise sales were the highest single year grossing numbers in company history with the exception of Stone Cold Steve Austin and Hulk Hogan. This has to be considered a huge accomplishment considering Cena was out of action for a few months during 2008.

There's that for you too. So, in a year that Cena was injured, he STILL pulled numbers that apparently trumped The Rock, so you're DEFINITELY wrong there. Stone Cold and Hogan are the top two stars of all time, nobody is putting Cena up there, but he's certainly right below them. He's one of the best draws of all time.

Yeah, it's another Cena thread. So what? He's important. He's worth talking about. He's worth tweaking and not sticking behind something that isn't working as well as it could be. People don't go out there and boo John Cena because he's controversial. Or because they think he's a bad person. They boo because they care and he's boring them to death with his corny character.

Isn't that exactly what you're trying to disprove here, though? You're saying he's not important, that he's not the flagship, blah blah blah. It's all a bunch of drivel. People shouldn't boo Cena, because they have no reason to. It's fans like you that boo Cena, guys that know little to nothing about what a successful wrestler really is.

Oh and Cena was failing when he first became WWE Champion. He was consistently getting booed by a majority of the crowd every week, yet Vince continued to push him until the women and kids attached to him. They have been his only fanbase ever since.

You see, it's almost impossible to fail in WWE when you have big muscles and Vince McMahon is in your corner. Vince would push chocolate cake to crowds who were 95 percent diabetic for 6 straight years if 5 percent of the crowd kept buying them, just because he's so damn stubborn, and because of his massive ego. Now that was just a metaphore, as I know the crowd support for Cena is most likely closer to 50/50 or 60/40.

You're wrong:

[YT]csek97hLmCs&feature=related[/YT]

[YT]nNufyPvoddQ&feature=related[/YT]

A majority of that crowd is cheering Cena and that's RIGHT after he won the WWE Title and right as he was drafted to Raw.

Hell, here's a video from the Royal Rumble in 2008. A majority of that crowd is cheering him too:

[YT]dbJFJASEiVw&feature=related[/YT]

I can go on for days.

Oh and Cena was failing when he first became WWE Champion. He was consistently getting booed by a majority of the crowd every week, yet Vince continued to push him until the women and kids attached to him. They have been his only fanbase ever since.

You see, it's almost impossible to fail in WWE when you have big muscles and Vince McMahon is in your corner. Vince would push chocolate cake to crowds who were 95 percent diabetic for 6 straight years if 5 percent of the crowd kept buying them, just because he's so damn stubborn, and because of his massive ego. Now that was just a metaphore, as I know the crowd support for Cena is most likely closer to 50/50 or 60/40.

Cena has had the "WWE Marketing Machine" behind him for 6 years now. Half of his reactions are "Xpac Heat". He only legitimately appeals to women and little kids. Anyone who is as obviously not main event material as Cena would get the same sort of reaction.

And I don't know what Cena promos you've been listening to for the past 6 years, but the ones I've listened to are juvenile and most likely scripted. Even his "thuganomics promos weren't that good when you think about it". They were too gimmicky and didn't represent an actual person.

Rock, Austin, Triple H, Chris Jericho, and now Punk all cut relevant honest promos that are informative and entertaining without being childish and gimmicky. Cena's problem is that his character is bullshit and he's not being himself, because to be completely honest, he probably doesn't have much of a personality other than his phony persona with the arm bands and t shirts. Again, I'm just agreeing with things that Dwayne Johnson himself has said.

So you criticize Cena's promos yet mention HHH whose claim to fame was making dick jokes and Dwayne about sticking stuff in your bum? I can feel your IQ dropping by the second.

Rock used dirty adult jokes and innuendos. Cena says things like "Alex Riley's face is a toilet". Paraphrasing here. Just lame stuff that isn't funny. Again I'm not trying to bash Cena, I'm just saying I don't like him and I don't think he deserves to be considered a megastar.

Oh and Hogan had the same problem, as you can recall in WCW in the mid 90s, half the crowd turned on Hogan. The hardcore male wrestling fan doesn't want "family friendly" white hat wearing good guy. We want edgy, great wrestlers like Kurt Angle and CM Punk.

Aww fuck it. I just repped you saying I was too lazy to tell you why you're wrong, but I'll do it anyways.
Well I say he ain't that popular. Yeah I said it.
Yes, you did just say "ain't", which pretty much sums up how much credibility you have in writing.

He's the current king of a dying kingdom.
If by "dying" you mean a company that made the most profit in 2010 it has since before 2003, and doing so in the midst of terrible economic times, then sure. Of course, you're the only one who would say that, but whatever.

The ratings are in the toilet
Compared to what? WWE Raw is regularly in the Top 5 in cable ratings on Monday night, and in the Top 20 for the week.

as are the buyrates.
Buyrates mean nothing. It's about how much money you're making from your PPV. And the WWE made roughly the same amount of money per show in 2010 they made back in 2003 and 2004. Before Cena was on Raw.

In 2001, the year WCW kicked the bucket, they started the year pulling 3.1's. Those ratings killed them. WWE with Cena the Barbarian recently pulled a 2.9. Something is wrong.
Like your logic? Do you realize how many more TV stations there are today as compared to 2001? Do you have any idea how much more prominent Internet streams and a DVR'ing is? Do you have any idea of what you are talking about at all?

Yeah well, the seven year olds love Cena tho right? What seven year olds? Where are these kids? I see a bunch in the front row, but I've never EVER met a 7, 10, or 12 year old kids who liked John Cena. I saw one kid wearing his shirt once. I've seen several with Orton shirts and even many Stone Cold ones still. I'm sure they exist somewhere, but I fail to buy that there's this massive fanbase of little kids watching wrestling who love John Cena. Kids, by and large, don't watch wrestling. It's stupid to them.
As a teacher of children in the 8-13 year old age range, I can tell you unequivocally you're completely wrong. I see Cena t-shirts all the time. When I talk about the 5 Components of Health Related Fitness, and discuss Body Composition, those kids have no idea who Arnold Schwarzenegger or Sylvester Stallone are. But when I say John Cena, 3/4th of those students recognize who he is. And since I was just talking about this last week, it's pretty accurate and up-to-date.

His movies all flopped.
His movies are the only ones to turn a profit for WWE Films. Perhaps they flopped by your standards, but they still are the best the WWE has ever done.

Well, what about the merchandise? Cena doesn't sell Rock-level merchandise, or Austin in his prime merchandise.
Nope, but he does outsell everyone currently in the WWE. And since neither Hogan, nor Austin, nor Rock are currently in the WWE, I'm not really sure what your point is.

I'm sure he sells a bunch, but who wouldn't with how hard they're behind him?
He was easily the WWE's leading merchandise seller back in 2004, before he was ever World Champion, and while he was still working Smackdown. There was an article on WWE.com which stated this. I'm sure it's probably still there if you look for it.

EDIT: Aww, hell, I'll do it for you:

In 2004, Cena-brand product and merchandise exceeded $12 million in sales.
http://origin.www.wwe.com/superstars/raw/johncena/reviews/3481716

The WWE's total merchandise sales were approximately $80 million. Cena had more than 15% of the WWE's merchandise sales by himself as a midcarder on Smackdown. Take away the $12 million generated by the WWE Magazine, the $8 million generated from digital media (website) and the $20 million generated by the home video department, and you're left with Cena making up $12 million of the $40 million remaining.

Source: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1091907/000120677405001228/ww50077.htm

Don't kid yourself. Cena doesn't sell merchandise because of the position he's in, Cena is in the position he's in because he sells merchandise.

Meanwhile, the top selling shirt of the past month or two belongs to.....CM Punk. Not John Cena.
Source? Because I would LOVE to see you back this statement up, because when I look into most crowds, I see a sea of red, not a sea of Punk shirts.

So why not rush his headbands, hats, shirts, wallets, keychains? Why not put the machine behind him? They struck gold, why not go with it? Instead they're trying to make him look like a whiner who is just mad that he isn't Cena.
They always say the best characters are when wrestlers play themselves...

People don't go out there and boo John Cena because he's controversial.
Agreed. They go out and boo him usually because they are completely ignorant wrestling fans who know little or nothing about the business, but like to pretend they do. Like you, for example.

We all know the story of WCW's downfall. Ratings alone didn't kill them....but they helped. Do you really think that if Nitro was drawing 7's like they were at one point, the exacs would've pulled the plug when they did?

First of all, WCW never pulled 7s. But to the point, yes, I absolutely believe that if WCW's ratings had not declined, they would have been dropped. AOL felt like Wrestling was a bad fit for their brand, if WWF had been on TNT at the time, they'd have been dropped too.

Don't pretend that they're not doing as well as they could be..

That's a wonderful mastery of the English language you have.

Heidenreich, Luther Reigns, Snitsky, Matt Morgan, etc.

Did all these guys with big muscles succeed? I'll give you a minute to think about that one. Seems like you have an obsession with muscles. Seek help.

It's not fair to call someone ignorant for booing Cena Slyfox. It actually makes you ignorant for cheering for whoever the "WWE Machine" tells you to. If people always listened to the WWE Machine, there never would have a Stone Cold Steve Austin or the Rock.

Matt Morgan could have actually succeeded in WWE if he was used properly. As I find Morgan entertaining.

It's not fair to call someone ignorant for booing Cena Slyfox. It actually makes you ignorant for cheering for whoever the "WWE Machine" tells you to. If people always listened to the WWE Machine, there never would have a Stone Cold Steve Austin or the Rock.

Matt Morgan could have actually succeeded in WWE if he was used properly. As I find Morgan entertaining.

It's completely fair. You're booing a guy but you have no valid reason to. The WWE can try to dictate who their top guys are, but they can't dictate who their top draws are, thus making that a moot point. The WWE isn't going to keep pushing one guy at us repeatedly if he has failed again and again, it all depends on how "over" a guy is with the crowd. If he's not over at all, you better believe the "WWE Machine" isn't going to get behind him any time soon.

Cena is the only one of any of those guys you mentioned that was pushed to the top of the company without regard to what the crowd wanted. But Cena had women and kids to fall back on in terms of support. You see Heidenrich couldn't wrestle his way out of a wet paper bag and he wasn't good looking. Snitsky was probably the ugliest human on the face of the earth, and also couldn't wrestle.

Morgan was the only guy you mentioned that actually should've been pushed but wasn't. Point being, Cena couldn't fail because he had both a physique and is good looking. He's always gonna have women and kids to fall back on.

Oh yeah, I boo Cena for a reason. His persona is bullshit. I'm an adult male with testicles, which according to Dwayne, gives me the awesome superpower of being able to see through bullshit.

Oh yeah, I boo Cena for a reason. His persona is bullshit. I'm an adult male with testicles, which according to Dwayne, gives me the awesome superpower of being able to see through bullshit.

Then how can you not see right through Dwayne's bullshit? You boo Cena because you think you're some cutting edge fan, when in fact you're nothing more than an ignorant keyboard warrior.

The Rock got absolutely OWNED by John Cena in every single one of their promos, he took Rock to town, but you're actually trying to use The Rock as some kind of justification? Please, spare me.

I do see through Rock's bullshit. But that doesn't mean that what he says about Cena isnt't true. I also haven't had internet in over a year. Which means I've never used Twitter or Facebook. I haven't read spoilers in over a year, and I've liked CM Punk since he came into the company, whether he was heel or face. You seem like one of those guys who thinks anyone who bashes Cena does it because they think it's cool.

Well I bash Cena because in my opinion he is the "Bullshit Warrior". He constantly salutes, and wears dog tags when in fact he has nothing to do with the military other than kissing their ass because it's the PC thing to do. And don't get me wrong I respect the military, but I don't respect using the military for cheap face heat.

I also knew back in Feburary that Dwayne was full of shit when he said he was never leaving again. That doesn't change the fact that what he says about Cena is 100 percent true.

I do see through Rock's bullshit. But that doesn't mean that what he says about Cena isnt't true. I also haven't had internet in over a year. Which means I've never used Twitter or Facebook. I haven't read spoilers in over a year, and I've liked CM Punk since he came into the company, whether he was heel or face. You seem like one of those guys who thinks anyone who bashes Cena does it because they think it's cool.

Well I bash Cena because in my opinion he is the "Bullshit Warrior". He constantly salutes, and wears dog tags when in fact he has nothing to do with the military other than kissing their ass because it's the PC thing to do. And don't get me wrong I respect the military, but I don't respect using the military for cheap face heat.

I also knew back in Feburary that Dwayne was full of shit when he said he was never leaving again. That doesn't change the fact that what he says about Cena is 100 percent true.

So, what you're saying here is that Cena relies on things to get him cheap pops? You're right, because Rock never does that. Rock doesn't have a basin of catchphrases he uses and then reads off of a teleprompter for the rest of the promo, certainly not.

What do I care if you didn't have Internet, or read spoilers, or liked Punk since day one (which I did myself)? You seem to be throwing up irrelevant facts to mask the fact that you don't have any clue about what's going on here. Cena said it himself, he doesn't try to appeal to anybody that doesn't like him for what he's for, he goes out and acts like himself and wins his own fans over. It has worked for years and still does. There's always going to be guys like you who are simply never satisfied.

I will agree that I have never liked Cena and never will but I still think it's rather interesting that virtually every male that has reached puberty can't stand Cena. Does that not mean anything to you. I'm not even asking Cena change to try and win me over because he'd be wasting his time. But I also don't think how he acts on tv is not his true self. I mean come on, what 30 plus year old man walks around in jorts and brightly colored t shirts and armbands. People see a guy in the main event acting like he does and come to the conclusion that wrestling is lame again, just like it was in the 80s and early 90s.

I will agree that I have never liked Cena and never will but I still think it's rather interesting that virtually every male that has reached puberty can't stand Cena. Does that not mean anything to you. I'm not even asking Cena change to try and win me over because he'd be wasting his time. But I also don't think how he acts on tv is not his true self. I mean come on, what 30 plus year old man walks around in jorts and brightly colored t shirts and armbands. People see a guy in the main event acting like he does and come to the conclusion that wrestling is lame again, just like it was in the 80s and early 90s.

Finally, I have a diagnosis for you: Attitude Era sympathizer. I should have known. Well, go look around this forum for a couple of minutes, you'll see that Cena has his adult male fans, myself included. Most people that know what they're talking about agree with me too, Cena is good.

Do you not understand gimmicks? The jean shorts, arm bands, t-shirts, etc., it's all part of the gimmick. It doesn't matter if he's 30, because that gimmick still appeals to a majority of the audience.

Hold on, wrestling was lame in the 80's? That's news to me. Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Roddy Piper, Andre the Giant, Ted DiBiase, hell, all those guys were quite awesome. The 80's were not lame, clearly this shows how little you know about pro wrestling.

Lulz. Idiots like this guy Will say Cena loving is cool right now and in the same breath say only women kids like him. You render yourself irrelevant and plain old wrong the moment you speak. Its ok to not like Cena. But claiming he's killing the industry and is only popular because the WWE says he is is flat out and probably wrong.

Well I'm only 24, and am not old enough to have regularly watched in the 80s, but I've watched tapes of WWF programming for the 80s and the main event for the most part was what was lame. I mean the main events ended after a measly "leg drop". I have however watched old NWA tapes from the 80s and for the most part I liked it. Flair was every bit as good as he's been hyped by the IWC.

Besides I like wrestlers who wrestle as themselves. Guys who aren't gimmicks but are themselves. Examples include Stone Cold Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, CM Punk to name a few. I also like guys who could be considered gimmicky but are in my opinion more realistic gimmicks if you want to call them that. Guys like Triple H and Goldberg and Rock ( yeah I know he's a douche in real life), and Chris Jericho.

And I also know that most of these guys used stage names. I'm not a moronic mark. Just added this so you couldn't use that to attack me. I consider stage names and gimmicks to be seperate things in some instances.

I like Cena and I'm a grown ass man who understands how the cycle in the business worked before i reached puberty. Even before Hogan there was Bruno, he was the biggest draw in his era then Hogan-Austin/Rock now Cena.

What 30 year old man walks around in jorts and arm bands the same but less talented 30 year old man who wears even brightly colored garb facepaint and goes "bluh blah blah bluh PARTS UNKNOWN" That era made a lot of money and had less outside static to deal with.

The same 30 year old man who dresses all gothic has a badass 2 minute intro who rises from the dead. Yeah that era made money too.

And yes you do come off like an Overrated Era mark look in the crowds you will see men wearing Cena merch because "THEY GET IT'' this is how the business goes when they're kids grow up and have kids they will have that era's Cena. BANK ON IT!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back