• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CM Punk - Top Merchandise Seller?

this proves punk can be the top guy of the company. if kids start wearing punk's shirt ad we all know on storyline tv cm punk and cena are sort of rivals but they respect each other. the fans/kids are olnly going to choose one side punk? or cena?. if punk can keep putttin on great matches ad cutting good promos punk could out top cena as one of the only guys to do that. matter of fact the only guy to do that...but. kids wearing punk shirt, adults wearing punk shirts everyone on punks side i smell a heel turn for john cena hopefully at survivor series this year or wm 28 after rock vs cena.

WWE wants you to know all of this info. Top merch seller, "the winner makes more money then the loser"- things like that. WWE wants to introduce $$$ into the scheme of things. What motivates athletes to win? MONEY and CHAMPIONSHIPS.

In the WWE both of those come hand in hand. They want us to know that people who hold the straps (World, IC, US, Tag, Diva) make more money then the rest. You will see more of this slowly shining through into the programing. JR is already talking about "main event matchs make more money" the "winners purse".

Listen and look for it.

Vicki would have more money and influence if Dolph/Swagger won the Tag Titles.

Things like that.

I noticed JR subtly pushing money as a wrestler's driving force. I think its a good idea, its something everyone can relate to (even kids) and Dusty Rhodes did this in WCW to really good effect (he always spoke about this or that guy going to the "pay window", it gives more credibility to the 'hungry up and comer'). I think its why we all have a soft spot for Zack Ryder - he's the closest we can see of a rags-to-riches story in WWE.

Its also the natural progression of the Reality-era. UFC fighter salaries are well-known and easily obtainable, same with pro boxers. While I'm sure WWE wants to continue making wrestler salaries private, it does help to give tidbits of information like this to sell to the IWC and motivate the mid-carders (i.e. releasing Zack Ryder's top ten status).

To sell this angle, and to sell the whole Reality-era, WWE needs better talkers. CM Punk speaks to people the same way Rock does and Kurt Angle did; he's clever, witty, spontaneous and believable. WWE needs more of these 'common-man' talkers for faces (R-Truth, Miz and Cody Rhodes do great jobs as heel talkers). If Daniel Bryan were more witty on the mic, he would be getting more face time.

Are people really so stupid as to buy into the way WrestleZone is presenting it? This is one fucking week. It proves absolutely nothing. Yes, this is great for WWE and I'm really happy for the guy. But he still isn't on Cena's level and will probably never be. Punk is really hot right now and has been pushed to the stars, they also released a very pretty shirt to coincide with this. Was anyone expecting his merchandise sales to not be high? This isn't a sign of WWE fans getting tired of Cena. Not even close. Like I said, it is just one week. It's just a sign of people embracing another wrestler.

And by the way, I'm a huge Punk fan. I'm just not a stupid Punk fan.

I am also a fan of Punk and I also am HAPPY that he did over take Cena for the top spot BUT Cena did do it for over 5 years and Punk has done it a week or so.

To answer the question: Yes, if Punk continues to rake it in like he has been, I don't see why Vince wouldn't market him as the number 1 guy. It is NOT easy to be that guy for a long time though, so heres hoping Punk does.

I never understood why they didnt try to appeal to the late teen-20-30 something males. There is nothing wrong appealing to "keedz" with colorful Cena merch, but why not also appeal to the other demographic?

Look how badly they botched the DX stuff, where they made the merch look bad and very "corporate", there was nothing edgy about it, silly glowsticks and other useless ****.

With Nexus (when Nexus was hot) they botched the shirt and made a ugly black t shirt with a horrid yellow logo.

Finally they made a pretty cool white t shirt with CM Punk, and because his character has been given a chance to shine people are taking a liking to him, add in a great theme song that fits him like a glove and voila, success.

No, that's not what I wanted. Being higher in the merch sales for a week means nowhere near what you think it does. The Ice Cream Bar shirt JUST came out, and Cena's has been out since Mania. If Punk still has higher sales than Cena six months from now, come back and talk to me then. Until then, this isn't enough evidence to justify turning Cena heel. More evidence than we had before, but not enough.

Again, you seem to dismiss any evidence of CM Punk becoming the top guy in WWE. If him dethroning the mighty Cena is merchadise sales ISN'T ENOUGH EVIDENCE, then I don't know what would convince you. Yeah, I do admit it may be temporary, but to dismiss his accomplishment out of hand is ignoring the obvious. And none of us know if Punk will still be the top merchandise seller in 6 months, but trends and patterns don't lie. The fans have been solidly behind Punk ever since his departure storyline began and I can't see that changing. At least he doesn't receive mixed reactions or fail to reinvent his character when it is becoming stale.

Pretty much, if you've been paying attention, then you know that Punk has been built up as the next big star. He's got more titles accolades than Cena, though Cena has a damn impressive list himself. Plus, he's way more over with the fans currently, so him remaining face and Cena turning makes sense from a logical standpoint. Del Rio has potential, but IMO isn't ready to carry RAW yet. So, the only big name that can turn is Cena, and that choice is more likely, since he's lost some fans. He's getting stale and starting to look one dimensional, and doing the turn could solve that problem. In the end, I think it would refresh his character and boost his merchandise sales. So, I guess I'm saying I can't find a logical reason NOT TO TURN HIM. You're entitled to believe what you want, as I'm not trying to change your mind. However, I think that I've given some good reasons to support WWE going through with his heel turn. If you think his reactions aren't gonna get worse during his fued with The Rock, then you are very delusional.

has anyone seen a white kids version of the cm punk shirt offered?
i think if they sold that instead of just barney's multicoloured merchandise they would sell even more...

i think that the best in the world shirt and its soon to be 123 million varations... (which would be idiotic given the nature of punks character.) will become this generations austin 316 shirt.

Punk #1 spot is temporary cause Edge's stuff was sold out after he retired from the ring that week. Plus the only man to decide if he wants a heel turn is Cena. I think they are slowly building some1 on the roster to be the next top face slowly and forcing like Hogan or Austin or Cena. Them 3 were all #1 for a long time and a few people between them were just transitional #1's. How bout we have this convo in 6 months again and if Punk is still #1 then we'll take it from there.

I'm glad CM Punk's gear is the top seller. His shirts are much cooler than most wrestlers stuff. I wouldn't look like a total goof wearing a purple or orange shirt with a tacky ass slogan on the back or half naked guy on the front.
Punk's shirt is pretty cool and would gladly be seen wearing it.

I'm glad CM Punk's gear is the top seller. His shirts are much cooler than most wrestlers stuff. I wouldn't look like a total goof wearing a purple or orange shirt with a tacky ass slogan on the back or half naked guy on the front.
Punk's shirt is pretty cool and would gladly be seen wearing it.

I think that accurately sums up why Punk is #1 in merchandise sales now. Any fan over the age of 5 wouldn't be caught dead wearing a Cena shirt. While I like Cena, his merchandise is too kid oriented and isn't cool enough to be worn by all demographics. CM Punk on the other hand has a shirt with an awesome looking design and doesn't have his face all over it or crappy slogans on it. I usually tend to buy wrestling shirts that don't have the guys face or body all over it, or look like some loud ass fruity pebble. Punk's shirt is one that appeals to everyone, and isn't intended to target only adults or just women and kids. Thus the reason for his popularity among the casual WWE fan. It's an accomplishment that no one else has achieved since the days of Austin or The Rock. He's actually made the concept of adults wearing a wrestling shirt cool again....

I think its a big deal, but not a HUGE deal.

Punk may now be the top merch seller but that does not mean he should be THE top guy. Cena has had the #1 merch seller spot for years and this is the first time (except for Rock) that someone has beaten him. But just because Punk is selling more right now, doesn't mean he will sell like this in the years to come. Cena has consistently been the top merch seller, Punk has not. Just because Punk sells more merch, doesn't mean he will draw more people than Cena. Cena has consistently been the top draw, while Punk has not. I still think Cena should stay as THE guy because he still outdraws Punk. Punk should be the #2 guy (like Orton).

The fact that Punk's merchandise is selling more than Cena's proves that Punk is hot right now. Obviously, being the top guy in the company has nothing to do with actual in ring ability, so that determination is made on merchandise sales. The true test is if Punk's merchandise can continue to outsell Cena's. This is a real simple concept to grasp since actual wrestling is not part of this discussion.

The fact that Punk's merchandise is selling more than Cena's proves that Punk is hot right now. Obviously, being the top guy in the company has nothing to do with actual in ring ability, so that determination is made on merchandise sales. The true test is if Punk's merchandise can continue to outsell Cena's. This is a real simple concept to grasp since actual wrestling is not part of this discussion.

If Punk can continue to outsell Cena in merchandise, then I'm sure he'll be the top guy on RAW. Between fans being bored with Cena's stale routine and Punk's recent surge in popularity, it's pretty much a no brainer. I don't think WWE would just choose any random superstar to replace Cena, and Punk has proved he's earned his position within WWE. So, I see his being at the top position as an inevitable...

This is big news. It is great for CM Punk and WWE as a whole. They have been searching for someone to eventually take Cena's place as the top face. It needs to be someone who sells as much merchandise as him and draws as many PPV buys. I'm not sure if I see Punk becoming that, but this will surely keep him in the main event tier for quite some time because he is making them a lot of money.

Eh. I would buy into it more if Cena's shirt was new instead of it coming out around Mania. Everyone has that shirt. Punk's is the hot new thing so people are going to get it. Too little of an indicator of Punk being the guy to replace Cena.

Eh. I would buy into it more if Cena's shirt was new instead of it coming out around Mania. Everyone has that shirt. Punk's is the hot new thing so people are going to get it. Too little of an indicator of Punk being the guy to replace Cena.

With everything happening this year indicating it being Punk's breakout year, I'd say having the #1 spot in merchandise sales is a great indicator of Punk's ability to replace Cena. If all his recent popularity, his dethroning Cena as top merchandise seller and his creating more interest in the shows ISN'T PROOF positive that he's the right guy to lead the company, you are very skeptical. All signs point to him being on Cena's level or maybe even above it now. Unfortunately, that logic is apparently not convincing enough for WWE, so I doubt they'd ever acknowledge it, regardless of any evidence to the contrary....

this means so very little it isn't even funny.

1. CM Punk topped merch sales for one week. Cena's been on top for most of 5 YEARS. Call me in 259 weeks (5 years minus 1 week) and I'll be impressed. Hell, let him top Cena for just 6-8 months, and I'd be impressed.

2. Lets look at more then just the rankings. John Cena's current T-Shirt debuted at WrestleMania XXVII back in March/April. CM Punk currently has 2 T-Shirts (Best In The World and Ice Cream Bar). Best in the World debuted in July at Money In The Bank, and Ice Cream Bar debuted a few weeks ago at Night of Champions. It's more then likely that all the people who want Cena's shirt already have it, and thus won't buy another one. If both Cena and Punks shirts were released at the same time, who's to say that Punk would have topped Cena. It'll be interesting to see when Cena debuts his new shirt how fast he gets back on top.

3. Punk is a Main Event Face. Him being at the top of the sales chart isn't surprising. Top guys sell merchandise.

4. As people have said already, his shirts actually look pretty cool. Best In The World is something that non-children people wouldn't think twice about wearing in non-wrestling public, where Cena's shirts are not as appealing.

As I said in the Spam Zone a few times already, the bigger story is Zack Ryder cracking the Top 10 without much of any air-time. That is extremely impressive, and will definitely help him get more airtime.

1. CM Punk topped merch sales for one week. Cena's been on top for most of 5 YEARS. Call me in 259 weeks (5 years minus 1 week) and I'll be impressed. Hell, let him top Cena for just 6-8 months, and I'd be impressed.

It's certainly no Cena-esque streak, but it still means something. Not as much as some would lead you to believe, but it's not very often that Cena's dethroned.

2. Lets look at more then just the rankings. John Cena's current T-Shirt debuted at WrestleMania XXVII back in March/April. CM Punk currently has 2 T-Shirts (Best In The World and Ice Cream Bar). Best in the World debuted in July at Money In The Bank, and Ice Cream Bar debuted a few weeks ago at Night of Champions. It's more then likely that all the people who want Cena's shirt already have it, and thus won't buy another one. If both Cena and Punks shirts were released at the same time, who's to say that Punk would have topped Cena. It'll be interesting to see when Cena debuts his new shirt how fast he gets back on top.

True, but like I said, it's not very often this happens to Cena. He's had months between shirts before and still been on top, Punk just happens to have taken him down.

3. Punk is a Main Event Face. Him being at the top of the sales chart isn't surprising. Top guys sell merchandise.

That's not necessarily true. Plenty of top guys before haven't come near Cena, Christian, Sheamus, so on, but CM Punk did. You're discrediting this feat too much. Not all top guys sell. Hell, I'd be willing to bet more DON'T sell. It's rare that a guy can get this many fans behind him and be appealing enough for them to shell out some cash.

4. As people have said already, his shirts actually look pretty cool. Best In The World is something that non-children people wouldn't think twice about wearing in non-wrestling public, where Cena's shirts are not as appealing.

Yes, but there are plenty of people who wear Cena shirts out too. This is turning into a bit of a fashion argument. :lmao:

As I said in the Spam Zone a few times already, the bigger story is Zack Ryder cracking the Top 10 without much of any air-time. That is extremely impressive, and will definitely help him get more airtime.

Agreed and it already has.

My point is that you're greatly discrediting the significance of this. I'll admit; it's nothing HUGE, one week is miniscule, but he still dethroned Cena. This will certainly add into CM Punk's push, he's been hot for months, even if his storyline fizzled a bit, he has remained hot. This could be an indicator of the future for CM Punk.

You hype up what Ryder has done, but I'd argue that Punk is more impressive. Ryder busted his ass, no doubt, but he pushed his merchandise in every video, appearance, and so on. Obviously people will eventually buy the t-shirt, right?

I think you are missing the entire point here. While Punk topping the merchandise sales for one week may not be conclusive proof he's ready to take over Cena's spot, it is a big deal. And it's a big deal b/c no one other than Punk has dethroned Cena thus far in merchandise sales. Whether it's temporary or not isn't the issue here, it's him even being able to beat Cena. Nobody else has done that in well over 5 years, so I'd say it's a huge accomplishment. Dismissing it as not meaning anything at all would be a little shortsided. It's further evidence that Punk is rising to new heights in WWE.

I can understand the logic that Punk's shirts are newer, so they sell better than Cena's older shirts. Although I don't agree with it, as I think it is a convient excuse to dismiss what Punk has done here. But, I can see where you're coming from. The fact of the matter is anyone who beats Cena in merchandise sales is big news, no matter who it is. Punk just happened to be the most popular candidate that come along at the right time. I'd also say him being hot in merchandise sales is a very good indicator of him being as good a draw as Cena with the fans. In any case, Punk's achievement is a very convincing argument that he is quickly becoming the top guy in WWE.

I gotta disagree here. Not all top guys have outsold Cena in merchandise sales, not even for one week. Guys like Orton, Christian, Sheamus, HHH, Taker, Rey Mysterio and Zack Ryder also do well in merchandise, but have never topped Cena in it. Punk has, thus the reason ppl are making a big deal out of it, and rightfully so IMO. No matter where you stand on the issue, you gotta admit it's huge for anyone to top Cena in merchandise. Even if it's not permanent and just temporary. I highly doubt that'll be the case though, given Punk's popularity and breakout year he's been having in 2011.

Like I said before, the reason ppl find Punk's shirts superior is b/c it appeals to everyone. It's not completely kid or woman oriented like Cena's is, so it's clear why they are so popular. Although I must say I'm not a fan of his current ice cream bar shirt. His best in the world shirt has an awesome design and has cooler colors. Again, there have been few wrestling shirts these days that adults would actually wear in public. Punk's best in the world shirt happens to be one of the few I've seen that I'd wear going out. I'm sure most adults and teens feel the same way, so it's not hard to understand why it is successful.

Zack Ryder is a big deal, b/c he's sold alot of merchandise with little TV exposure. I'm not really arguing that point with you here. But, I consider Punk to be the bigger story here, since he's accomplished something no one thought was possible. If he can keep it up, it'll be quite possibly the biggest news story in WWE this year. It will definately put him on track to be the guy on RAW, and rightfully so. Fans should have their voices heard in this issue.

Again, you seem to dismiss any evidence of CM Punk becoming the top guy in WWE.
Yeah, no. One week does not equal being the top guy, sorry. If that's the case, then we might as well call Mark Henry the top guy this week because he won two matches. Or call Triple H the top guy the week he became COO. No, that's not how it works.
If him dethroning the mighty Cena is merchadise sales ISN'T ENOUGH EVIDENCE, then I don't know what would convince you.
Well, I just explained what would convince me, so I don't see how you can not know. Maybe you could go back and read.
Yeah, I do admit it may be temporary, but to dismiss his accomplishment out of hand is ignoring the obvious.
I didn't dismiss anything. I acknowledged the accomplishment. Work on your reading comprehension, please.
And none of us know if Punk will still be the top merchandise seller in 6 months, but trends and patterns don't lie.
One week is not a trend or a pattern.
The fans have been solidly behind Punk ever since his departure storyline began and I can't see that changing.
Cena's fans have been solidly behind him since 2005. Do you honestly think Punk has more fans than Cena after a few weeks?
At least he doesn't receive mixed reactions or fail to reinvent his character when it is becoming stale.
I'm sorry, I forgot the workers were in charge of changing their characters. Oh wait, they're not, booking is. I also forgot that Punk has had a wildly successful character that propelled him to the top of the company before this one. Oh wait, he hasn't. Moving on.
Pretty much, if you've been paying attention, then you know that Punk has been built up as the next big star.
Yes, I never denied this.
He's got more titles accolades than Cena, though Cena has a damn impressive list himself.
More title accolades? Four world titles is better than Cena's twelve? One IC Title is better than Cena's three US Titles? What?
Plus, he's way more over with the fans currently, so him remaining face and Cena turning makes sense from a logical standpoint.
False, and false. Punk is very over, but he's not "way more over" than Cena. Ridiculous claim that once again proves that you have selective hearing.
Del Rio has potential, but IMO isn't ready to carry RAW yet.
True, and possibly true. Doesn't mean Cena should turn. Remember that Miz and Truth aren't actually fired, and that people like Christian are on every week now.
So, the only big name that can turn is Cena, and that choice is more likely, since he's lost some fans.
Not enough to justify a turn. Not even close.

Turning him heel also is not going to increase his merchandise sales. They're not going to get any higher than they are now, and you'd be losing the biggest percentage of people who buy them (kids). Plenty of adults would still hate Cena even if he turned.

Yeah, no. One week does not equal being the top guy, sorry. If that's the case, then we might as well call Mark Henry the top guy this week because he won two matches. Or call Triple H the top guy the week he became COO. No, that's not how it works.

Did Mark Henry outsell Cena in merchandise as CM Punk did? Or how about our current COO HHH? No, the issue here is CM Punk did something no one else in WWE has in over 5 years. It's a relatively easy concept to grasp, but you seem to dismiss it as meaningless. Which is laughable, since even you said WWE should build Punk as Cena's equal. So, by your own admission, Punk is on Cena's level now. And whether his spot in merchandise is temporary or not, he's still having a breakout year. Definately worthy of being the top guy on RAW, since he's proved to everyone he is as hot now as anyone in WWE.

Well, I just explained what would convince me, so I don't see how you can not know. Maybe you could go back and read.

That's a huge bit of ironic statement here. You have been dismissing any logic evidence that CM Punk is reaching new heights in the company. Just b/c you refuse to see it doesn't mean it isn't happening. It's clear your being a mark for Cena limits your comprehension of the obvious. Funny you say I should go back and read, when all you have been doing is ignoring any views but your own. Not my definition of keeping an open mind when you debate issues. Then again, it doesn't seem like you think logically when it comes to any issue involving Cena. So, it's pointless to try and make you see anything objectively.

I didn't dismiss anything. I acknowledged the accomplishment. Work on your reading comprehension, please.

Not gonna repeat what I just said above, so heed your own advice and read it. That is, if you can stop making lame attempts at taking shots at me. It only serves to make any argument you use look weak and inferior.

One week is not a trend or a pattern.

It's apparent you missed my whole point above, so I'll say it one more time in caps. IF YOU GO BY PATTERNS AND TRENDS, THEN CM PUNK'S POPULARITY WILL NOT DECLINE ANYTIME SOON. Meaning, in all likelyhood, his merchandise sales will remain as high as they are now. If you don't follow patterns or trends, then you can't predict the future. However, it seems you have already predicted Punk's being #1 in merchandise sales is a flash in the pan occurance. Who are you to state that as an indisputable fact? Do you have some psychic power that I'm not aware of? No one knows if Punk's status now is temporary, but we don't currently have any evidence to draws conclusions in stone at this point. It's all really guesses and random speculation. Hell, I'll admit mine is nothing more than a guess, but you can't seem to do that.

Cena's fans have been solidly behind him since 2005. Do you honestly think Punk has more fans than Cena after a few weeks?

This statement is just plain out pathetic. Cena's fans have been solidly behind him since 2005? Really? Cause fans have been turning on him since 2006, and he is now receiving a mixed reaction at best. You seem to be in heavy denial about that in all the threads that are Cena related. Not to mention you totally took my comments out of context. I said fans have been solidy behind Punk since his infamous promo and departure storyline. How is that inaccurate or twisting facts??? I'd say fans giving Punk a strong ovation everywhere he goes and Cena receiving a mixed reaction does imply Punk has more fans. Both are faces, yet only one is doing his role effectively. You do the math.

I'm sorry, I forgot the workers were in charge of changing their characters. Oh wait, they're not, booking is. I also forgot that Punk has had a wildly successful character that propelled him to the top of the company before this one. Oh wait, he hasn't. Moving on.

Another clear example of you making an ignorant statement. While booking is responsible for some character changes, the wrestlers themselves have alot of input in what they do on TV. If you can't understand that basic concept, then you aren't a true follower of wrestling. Punk has kept reinventing himself when his character gets stale. So does Jericho everytime he returns. Do you honestly believe that is a coincidence? I guess by your logic booking also kept them down and made their characters stale. Wrestlers at the top of the card that are popular tend to have the ability to dictate what direction their characters take. Don't believe me? Cena has resisted this inevitable heel turn ever since he started getting booed or mixed reactions. He's said it on radio shows, TV interviews and acknowledged it in his promos numerous times. That's pretty much proof positive that Cena is partly controlling the direction of his character. But, I bet you'll completely dismiss this as well and try to ignore it or state some phony reasons why it isn't true. Moving on...

Yes, I never denied this.

Maybe not, but you sure have been denying that Punk is on Cena's level. Considering his current popularity and overall standing in WWE, I beg to differ. His accomplishments tend to prove otherwise.

More title accolades? Four world titles is better than Cena's twelve? One IC Title is better than Cena's three US Titles? What?

Once again, you tend to lose the intended point. For all Cena's supposed more accolades, Punk's accomplishments stack up well against Cena's, considering Punk has only been in WWE for 5 years. Cena has been in WWE for almost ten years, so in that time, he's barely got more accolades than Punk. And the only accolades where he's got noticably more than Punk is in world title reigns and Royal Rumble win. Otherwise, they have accomplished about as much. To claim anything otherwise is completely ignoring the list several ppl have listed in various Punk/Cena threads.

False, and false. Punk is very over, but he's not "way more over" than Cena. Ridiculous claim that once again proves that you have selective hearing.

Wow, your argument has several holes in logic here. Could it be any more evident that you are too biased as a Cena mark to acknowledge the obvious? Punk is way more over than Cena, b/c he gets very strong face reactions, whereas Cena gets heavily mixed reactions. Trying to claim I can't hear the difference is laughable and proves you have no other valid argument here than personal attacks. Otherwise, the name calling and flaming wouldn't be necessary. If you can't hear the difference when Cena enters and when Punk enters, you aren't listening. Cena gets way moe of a mixed reaction, thus proving he isn't as over with the fans as Punk is. Ignoring that fact doesn't lend any more credibility to what you're saying.

True, and possibly true. Doesn't mean Cena should turn. Remember that Miz and Truth aren't actually fired, and that people like Christian are on every week now.

Actually, it does mean Cena should turn. If Del Rio isn't ready to turn, then who is left to turn as far as big names on RAW? Miz and Truth aren't on Cena's level and Christian is on SD. So, that leaves CM Punk and Cena as far as huge names on RAW. Out of those two options, Cena receives a mixed reaction, meaning he should be the logical choice to turn. Half the fans have wanted it for 5 years or so, and I'd say rhat does justify a turn for him. Why turn Punk with the reactions he's been receiving this year? B/c Cena marks deny his character having a problem or being stale? There's really no logical reason to turn the face who is actually being cheered heavily by the fans. It makes far more sense for Cena, since his upcoming fued with The Rock is surely gonna gain him more boos any way. Not a hard decision if you ask me.

Not enough to justify a turn. Not even close.

Turning him heel also is not going to increase his merchandise sales. They're not going to get any higher than they are now, and you'd be losing the biggest percentage of people who buy them (kids). Plenty of adults would still hate Cena even if he turned.

Wow, not even close enough to justify a turn? So, the fans giving him a mixed reaction consistently for 5 years or longer DOESN'T WARRANT A HEEL TURN? If anything, Cena doing a heel turn would refresh his character and possibly gain some of his haters back. Most kids don't care who is heel, as even kids do like heels. It's not quite as black and white as you think here. I'm sure some adults still wouldn't like Cena, but overall, WWE should listen to their fans. Even Cena has acknowledged that, so he should heed his own advice. A heavily mixed reaction means fans wanna see him turn. Using lame excuses like the make a wish foundation and him not being a mean guy aren't gonna cut it. If you don't listen to the fans, then they'll continue to hate you. Especially if you get streotyped as a one dimensional character.

Did Mark Henry outsell Cena in merchandise as CM Punk did? Or how about our current COO HHH? No, the issue here is CM Punk did something no one else in WWE has in over 5 years. It's a relatively easy concept to grasp, but you seem to dismiss it as meaningless. Which is laughable, since even you said WWE should build Punk as Cena's equal. So, by your own admission, Punk is on Cena's level now. And whether his spot in merchandise is temporary or not, he's still having a breakout year. Definately worthy of being the top guy on RAW, since he's proved to everyone he is as hot now as anyone in WWE.
Okay, so he got the number one merchandise spot for a week. Cool. I give him credit for that. Again, let's see him keep it up. You're jumping all over this tiny sample size because you want so badly to believe that there is a chance of someone drawing better than Cena. We'll see how he keeps selling merch through the next few weeks and months.
That's a huge bit of ironic statement here. You have been dismissing any logic evidence that CM Punk is reaching new heights in the company. Just b/c you refuse to see it doesn't mean it isn't happening. It's clear your being a mark for Cena limits your comprehension of the obvious. Funny you say I should go back and read, when all you have been doing is ignoring any views but your own. Not my definition of keeping an open mind when you debate issues. Then again, it doesn't seem like you think logically when it comes to any issue involving Cena. So, it's pointless to try and make you see anything objectively.
Yep, because me taking the time out of my relatively busy day to respond to your points means that I'm ignoring them. Great logic there. Also, when did I dismiss that Punk was reaching new heights? Now you're making shit up. Clearly Punk's bigger right now than he's ever throughout his whole career, I don't think anyone would dispute that. That doesn't mean that he's bigger than Cena.
It's apparent you missed my whole point above, so I'll say it one more time in caps. IF YOU GO BY PATTERNS AND TRENDS, THEN CM PUNK'S POPULARITY WILL NOT DECLINE ANYTIME SOON. Meaning, in all likelyhood, his merchandise sales will remain as high as they are now.
Okay, so if I missed your point (which I didn't), what "patterns and trends" are you talking about? Because it certainly seems like this report of CM Punk being number one is what you were referring to. And that is not a pattern or a trend. Actually, the pattern and the trend is for Cena to be number one, so if we're going by patterns and trends, that will continue.
If you don't follow patterns or trends, then you can't predict the future. However, it seems you have already predicted Punk's being #1 in merchandise sales is a flash in the pan occurance. Who are you to state that as an indisputable fact? Do you have some psychic power that I'm not aware of?

No one knows if Punk's status now is temporary, but we don't currently have any evidence to draws conclusions in stone at this point. It's all really guesses and random speculation. Hell, I'll admit mine is nothing more than a guess, but you can't seem to do that.
Nowhere did I say that my opinion was indisputable fact. It's an educated guess based on five years' worth of history. Your guess is as good as mine, but don't start talking about "trends and patterns" unless you're willing to elaborate on what the hell you're talking about.
This statement is just plain out pathetic. Cena's fans have been solidly behind him since 2005? Really? Cause fans have been turning on him since 2006, and he is now receiving a mixed reaction at best. You seem to be in heavy denial about that in all the threads that are Cena related. Not to mention you totally took my comments out of context. I said fans have been solidy behind Punk since his infamous promo and departure storyline. How is that inaccurate or twisting facts??? I'd say fans giving Punk a strong ovation everywhere he goes and Cena receiving a mixed reaction does imply Punk has more fans. Both are faces, yet only one is doing his role effectively. You do the math.
Actually, I've heard and seen plenty of boos for Punk. Just because male voices are louder doesn't mean he doesn't get booed. Maybe not as much as Cena, but let's not act like 100 percent of the audience is solidly behind him here, especially when established faces like Cena and Triple H have been his main enemies. Also, you again prove that you don't know how to read, because I said Cena's FANS, not his haters. Just because some Cena haters came out of the woodwork over time doesn't mean that any significant percentage of his actual FANS turned on him. Maybe people who jumped on the bandwagon did, but those people were obviously never real fans of his in the first place.
Another clear example of you making an ignorant statement. While booking is responsible for some character changes, the wrestlers themselves have alot of input in what they do on TV. If you can't understand that basic concept, then you aren't a true follower of wrestling. Punk has kept reinventing himself when his character gets stale. So does Jericho everytime he returns. Do you honestly believe that is a coincidence? I guess by your logic booking also kept them down and made their characters stale. Wrestlers at the top of the card that are popular tend to have the ability to dictate what direction their characters take. Don't believe me? Cena has resisted this inevitable heel turn ever since he started getting booed or mixed reactions. He's said it on radio shows, TV interviews and acknowledged it in his promos numerous times. That's pretty much proof positive that Cena is partly controlling the direction of his character. But, I bet you'll completely dismiss this as well and try to ignore it or state some phony reasons why it isn't true. Moving on...
Yes, they have influence when it's given to them. Guess what? They work for a boss. If that boss tells Cena to turn heel, then he turns heel. Problem is, that boss won't tell Cena to turn heel, because he's smart and he knows what's best for his company.
Maybe not, but you sure have been denying that Punk is on Cena's level. Considering his current popularity and overall standing in WWE, I beg to differ. His accomplishments tend to prove otherwise.
I think he's on a hot streak that could potentially put him on that level in time. I don't think he's there yet.
Once again, you tend to lose the intended point. For all Cena's supposed more accolades, Punk's accomplishments stack up well against Cena's, considering Punk has only been in WWE for 5 years. Cena has been in WWE for almost ten years, so in that time, he's barely got more accolades than Punk. And the only accolades where he's got noticably more than Punk is in world title reigns and Royal Rumble win. Otherwise, they have accomplished about as much. To claim anything otherwise is completely ignoring the list several ppl have listed in various Punk/Cena threads.
Cena has won seven world championships in the last three years, as opposed to Punk's three in the same span of time. Not trying to discredit Punk there, but it's pretty clear that Cena's still the one who's been booked better recently.
Wow, your argument has several holes in logic here. Could it be any more evident that you are too biased as a Cena mark to acknowledge the obvious? Punk is way more over than Cena, b/c he gets very strong face reactions, whereas Cena gets heavily mixed reactions.
Getting over is getting a reaction. Cena gets stronger reactions than Punk. There, now you know the meaning of a basic wrestling term, so you can stop using it incorrectly.
Trying to claim I can't hear the difference is laughable and proves you have no other valid argument here than personal attacks. Otherwise, the name calling and flaming wouldn't be necessary. If you can't hear the difference when Cena enters and when Punk enters, you aren't listening. Cena gets way moe of a mixed reaction, thus proving he isn't as over with the fans as Punk is. Ignoring that fact doesn't lend any more credibility to what you're saying.
They both gets cheers mixed in with a few boos. Cena gets more cheers, and he gets more boos. So Cena is more over.
Actually, it does mean Cena should turn. If Del Rio isn't ready to turn, then who is left to turn as far as big names on RAW? Miz and Truth aren't on Cena's level and Christian is on SD.
Cena doesn't need a heel to be on his level. Heels don't need to be as credible as faces, because many of their wins come by cheating anyway. I'm not sure why we suddenly need a megastar heel.
So, that leaves CM Punk and Cena as far as huge names on RAW. Out of those two options, Cena receives a mixed reaction, meaning he should be the logical choice to turn.
Out of the two options, Cena has a longer and more reliable history of making money, so he is not a logical choice to turn.
Half the fans have wanted it for 5 years or so, and I'd say rhat does justify a turn for him. Why turn Punk with the reactions he's been receiving this year? B/c Cena marks deny his character having a problem or being stale?
Why turn Cena? Because of Cena haters repeatedly denying his success over the last five and a half years?
There's really no logical reason to turn the face who is actually being cheered heavily by the fans.
So there's no logical reason to turn Cena. Glad we can agree.
It makes far more sense for Cena, since his upcoming fued with The Rock is surely gonna gain him more boos any way. Not a hard decision if you ask me.
Yeah, getting booed against a wrestler in his hometown is a clear indication that a heel turn is desperately needed. :rolleyes:

but if cena turns heel this would put punk over so much the kids are starting to love punk and if there hero cena turns on them the rest of them will join punk and punk will have the kids and familys and the men on his side something that cena has never done

and to the cena fan on top of me! stop defending cena serious punk is only starting to get big and yes punk doesn't get 100% of the audience but he certianly get's alot more then cena and the kids and familys are starting to get on his side punk is already doing better then cena because the men actually like him, cena cant get any bigger he was never the rock wwe tried but failed but cena did do his job and he carried the wwe due to the lack of talent but his popularity is declining he no longer brings in the ratings anymore and now he's over taken in merch sales and every week he get's 50% cheers and 50% boo's the guy is going down hill and wwe should turn him heel since that would put punk over and alot of people already boo him in the first place..

u like to defend cena alot for being a punk fan.

Good for him. That's all there is to say really.
Exactly. People need to stop making this into something it's not. It's hope that Punk can eventually be on Cena's level, but it's not evidence of that idea. The best thing to do is just to congratulate him and hope it continues, rather than ONCE AGAIN using someone else as an excuse to turn Cena heel.
and to the cena fan on top of me! stop defending cena serious punk is only starting to get big and yes punk doesn't get 100% of the audience but he certianly get's alot more then cena and the kids and familys are starting to get on his side punk is already doing better then cena because the men actually like him, cena cant get any bigger he was never the rock wwe tried but failed but cena did do his job and he carried the wwe due to the lack of talent but his popularity is declining he no longer brings in the ratings anymore and now he's over taken in merch sales and every week he get's 50% cheers and 50% boo's the guy is going down hill and wwe should turn him heel since that would put punk over and alot of people already boo him in the first place..
It's not 50/50. Maybe 60/40 if I'm being generous, probably more leaning towards 65/35. The percentage of people who boo Cena isn't nearly as much as many of you try to claim. It's just that adult male voices are obviously louder than female and children's voices, so it makes it seem like it's half the audience when it's not. Also, Cena's popularity is not declining. Punk's is increasing, but Cena's has stayed the same. There is absolutely no evidence to the contrary.
u like to defend cena alot for being a punk fan.
That's the thing. Being a Cena fan and being a Punk fan actually have nothing to do with each other. I know plenty of people who are both. The reason people don't understand that is because they don't really value Punk as an individual performer, as much as they value him as a means for him to get off his perch. If WWE is smart, they'll have the two co-exist at the top like Rock and Austin did, to appeal to as many audiences and demographics as possible.

when was the last time a cena segment actually brought in viewers?
and yes male voices are deeper but it really depends on the town at hell in the cell it was 40/60 but last night it was 60/40 but mostly it is 50% and there are alot of male's in the crowd chanting his name, have u seen how many punk shirts men are wearing now!

and cena's popularity has been declining when he was on top wwe was getting over 4's sometimes and high 3's all the time, but now he's the champion and raw is struggling to get 3's, i know alberto wasn't doing any better but wwe gave the title to cena as a panic move and the ratings havn't changed if he get's outsold and outdrawn by punk and get's a better reaction [a bit smaller pop but doesn't get boo'd] what does cena actually have over him. punk is already the #2 guy he took orton's spot a while ago

i really think cena should go to smackdown and see if he can help the ratings over there and bring orton to raw to become a heel against punk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back