Stone Cold vs CM Punk - Bad Idea?

Rated sj

Dark Match Jobber
Now as we all know CM Punk recently became a mega babyface his merchandise is flying, he gets without a doubt the loudest face reaction every week and he is vince's newest cash cow also Punk seems the most likely to take over the role of top face if cena turns heel. Recently there have been rumors of a Stone Cold vs CM Punk match. Now the reason I think having this feud might be bad is that we all are seeing how cena feuding with rock has hurt Cena's status as a face even the kids are starting to boo him now. Almost everyone loves the beer drinking, boss stunning S.O.B known as Stone Cold its obvious the crowd would turn on CM Punk and his mega face status would be hurt permanently. So do you think punk facing stone cold could hurt punks babyface status? Should the match not take place to save punk? Can punk keep his face status if he were to face Stone Cold? And if the match is done when would be the best time for it to take place?

I don't think it will hurt his babyface status. But doing Austin Vs. C M Punk now won't even make sense because most people wanted that match because of their contrasting lifestyles when CM Punk had the "Straight Edge" gimmick which is the complete opposite of Stone Cold Steve Austin. Stone Cold is the beer drinking, boss stunning "Outlaw" type of guy whereas Punk was a guy who lives his life clean without drinking,etc (which is btw just a gimmick as he was drinking beer when Steve Austin was the RAW GM for 1 night ).So now the match itself won't itself make sense and I don't want that match to happen either.

Straight Edge isn't a gimmick, it's CM Punk's lifestyle. Just because he isn't the Straight Edge Messiah anymore doesn't mean he just stopped being Straight Edge. That will always be a part of his life and, in character, he will always hate Stone Cold for being a drunkard.

The feud will be amazing, and I think it will even be better now that Punk is a face. Punk will call out Stone Cold on being an alcoholic and how that ruined his life, his marriage, his career, and Stone Cold will hardly have anything to retaliate with except that he's BIGGER than CM Punk will ever be. They could have insane promos until CM Punk goes over at WrestleMania with Stone Cold giving him his seal of approval.

Too be honest, Punk wouldn't really care. He isn't the top guy in WWE at the moment. And I don't think the boos would effect him any. After their match, they'd most like shake hands. Punk has said that he respects Stone Cold and he'd like to do a match with him.

Also, a nice fanmade promo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFN975jVT7o

"which is btw just a gimmick as he was drinking beer when Steve Austin was the RAW GM for 1 night" You sir are a moron if you think the beer that Austin has on screen is real. Its a prop there is no way in hell that anywhere would let Austin then wrestle it would affect your motor skills to much.

As for Punk Vs Austin it could work as there not goody goody face's there both edgy and so long as neither does anthing really heel-ish they could stay faces

Why would Stone Cold have to pass the torch to CM Punk?

I'm hope Stone Cold gets back in the ring one more time, looking forward to that. I don't see that match happening though

Why would Stone Cold have to pass the torch to CM Punk?

I'm hope Stone Cold gets back in the ring one more time, looking forward to that. I don't see that match happening though

I can kinda see him putting Punk over. Stone Cold has nothing to lose if he were to lose the match. Hell, he lost his match to The Rock and that was all fine and good. Punk has everything to gain, it would certainly add to his "Best In The World" argument.

Not only that, but he does have a respect for legends (Randy Savage, Roddy Piper, Eddie Guerrero), so like I said before, they could shake hands after the match.

They can do something like what happened with The Rock and Cena the night after mania. Have them talk for a bit, tell them they have respect for each other, jobbers come in and try to beat up on them. They are able to re group and clear the ring. I'd love to see a CM Punk Stunner. :p

All people saying CM Punk is "Straight Edge" need to see this :

CM Punk's Beer Bash with Stone Cold Steve Austin :

[YOUTUBE]IAZ6mr5zbvE[/YOUTUBE] .

That's Diet Pepsi. Punk is legitimately Straight Edge.

This year? no point at all, would be a great match lost in the shuffle of Rock vs Cena and taker going 20-0. Now next year? that's a Main event match they could sell out on.

Also it would not work as a Face vs Face match. The biggest problem as it stands with Cena rock is the lack of a good heel. a Heel Punk vs Face Austin match would go beyond anything a Face/face could possibly be. Punk at his most evil trying to destroy the Rattle snake, It would be Jericho vs Shawn with the adding holy shit of being Austins Return to the ring. It would more than likely be Austins last ever match and could likely be billed ans sold as such, and the heat going into it with the two of them on the mic would sell more PPVs than any other build possible.

But this year? Waste of heat to turn punk and a waste of a Main event to Bury it with Cena and Rock.

I can't believe wqe are discussing the legitimacy of Punks lifestyle. Ofcourse he is straight edge and ofcourse thats Pepsi. And even if he wasn't straight edge and just straight edge on camera, who wouldn't ruin that and go out in the open drinking beer would he. Use your brain.

Anyway, if it happens this year, its going to have to be face vs face as Punk just turned face and why would turn heel just after his mega babyface push. If it happens at WM 29, than I can see a Heel vs Face and then at the end, Austin puts over Punk, they make up and Punk turns face again. Though if it was me, I would rather see face vs face, and even the people boo Punk, Punk's views are always let the people cheer who they want to, so its not like it will get to him.

"The people" are fans. How can they know what they are drinking ? And BTW Austin was the GM of RAW at that night so the beers were kept there for Austin.
Stone Cold Steve Austin drinks beer not "Soda" or "Diet Pepsi".

So, the fact that the fans are so far away is "proof" that they didn't know what was being drank, yet you use video taken from the same distance as "proof" of your theory? And the fact that a cooler can hold BOTH beer and Pepsi, and that cans of soda and cans of beer look a lot alike, especially from a distance, makes no difference?

I'm Straight Edge, yet when I go to parties where there is beer there are usually sodas there to drink as well. The fact that I am at a party where people are drinking doesn't make me any less Straight Edge, and the fact that I am drinking something doesn't make that something an alcoholic beverage.

As for the feud between Punk and Austin, it would be great if done right, and I believe that in that case Punk would have to be the hardline heel that is disgusted that the fans would ever cheer a dirty, redneck, alcoholic like Austin. and in the end Austin (being the part timer, legend) should put over Punk (the full timer and present day star).

Just on the, "Punk drank beer here's a video" thing going on in this thread, when that happened the "What Happened After RAW" reports all stated CM Punk brought the can of Pepsi to the ring to mock Stone Cold Steve Austin. He is legitimately straight-edge, it isn't a gimmick. Not only has he various tattoo's signifying this but he also has "X's" across the tape on his hands to signify his beliefs.

On the actual topic, this has been previously discussed. Is forcing someone to give you a match by locking them in the Anaconda Vice a good thing to do? No, it isn't, Punk gets away with it because his character is like Stone Cold's, he can do heel things because he plays the anti-hero. Ignoring that fact, John Cena is totally different to Punk. Most adult males are the ones who boo Cena, the kids cheer him. Most young males/adult males cheer CM Punk, as do kids. Punk has an advantage in the way that even if Stone Cold and he are to feud some day, Punk would have more support in a feud with Austin opposed to Cena with The Rock.

Yeah as to the cm punk beer bash thing heres another angle of that video you can clearly see that the "beer" is actually soda how can beer be that dark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s96xPFW66Jw&feature=related

And the reason CM Punk and Austin is a good idea is because people might love or and Hate Cena, but when it comes to actually wrestling he has little skills it wasnt until after his match with Punk that hes begun using more wrestling and looking more vulnerable... The fans arent stupid we know theyre doing that on purpose... and we know when it comes to Cena and Rock, its not believable to see Cena win because rock is more superior...

Austin and Punk theres a believable match, people can see Punk win legitamently... and the fact that Austin and Punk are people who do not care about being cheered or booed makes them the perfect combination Austin is Austin and Punk whether cheered or booed will feed off of the crowd reaction... Thats why it is good and a guy like Punk in a match with Austin can win the crowd with his cheer in ring talent, charisma, and psychology...

The difference between CM Punk Vs Austin and Cena Vs Rock is, Austin and Punk is less scripted can be less shoved down our throats and less promoted and it will still generate the same buy rates...

Punk vs. Austin for WM 28 has its good points and its bad points.

One good point would be that the match would probably be another huge, marquee match for the show. One bad point would be that the match runs the risk of being overshadowed by Cena vs. Rock because that match has been hyped and built for so long already. Another good point would be that a feud between Austin & Punk could be awesome. I'm sure Austin has one more good match in him at least. He's kept himself in really good shape and I see no reason why he couldn't do as much as he always did for at least one more match. A bad point is that it might be better in the long run for WWE to focus on CM Punk as WWE Champion and build up his rep as champion. A match with Austin at WM 28 would take focus completely off that because if the match was for the title, then the result of the match would already be given away because Austin isn't gonna come back and wrestle full time anymore than The Rock will. And a WM where the WWE Championship isn't on the line just doesn't feel right in the least.

I could see Punk vs. Austin at WM 29, maybe sooner like at SummerSlam next year or something. But as for right now, I think there are potentially more negatives that can come about in the long run than positives in the short. Punk's a great talent and now his power as a star needs to be built before he tackles a potentially huge money match with Austin.

I say its a bad idea...Stone Cold would have to win in order for it to be even borderline acceptable...think about it. Can you see Steve Austin taking the GTS 3 times? :2up:

Honestly I've been so busy focussing on everything else going on in wrestling I had forgotten to actually weight consequences of the possible Punk/Austin feud. It's amazing how often we want things, and never take the time to think of what may actually happen in the long run... On one hand, Punk/Austin is a match that could sell WrestleMania next year. It's a blockbuster feud that Vince could, and should take advantage of!

However, what to do about the very real possibility of a face vs. face clash should that actually happen? There's no reason to have Austin return as a heel for a temporary feud, and you know the crowd wouldn't have it anyways. But there's also a section of people that would stick behind Punk no matter what, even if it means boo-ing Austin. Or we'd just end up with the "let's go Austin! Let's go Punk!" dueling chants, and nobody really has to play the full-on heel.

Both of these guys are fan-favorites who tote the line between good guy and bad guy. They both exhibit heel tendencies (IE. calling out faces, criticizing face decisions, etc.) and speak their minds no matter what. In a feud between the two, they're both going to come across as arrogant jack-asses, to be honest. That's their characters... And to be honest, I don't think either of them will care about the direction of the fans reaction. All they care about is making A fan reaction, and selling a damn good feud.

I think the end goal of the Punk/Austin feud is to put him on the map and give him a major match with an established legend on a grand stage. Even if the fans turn to Austin a bit more than Punk during the actual build-up, the match will be a classic. And all they have to do to get Punk's mojo back afterwards is slide him into a feud with a big heel, and poof! All better...Sometimes you just need to let guys cut loose and not worry about the repercussions. You can only play it safe for so long and continue to produce a decent product...

And whoever started the "Punk's straight-edge lifestyle is just a gimmick" notion is mental. Wikipedia that shit next time you want to be clever...

I can see there are many dumb people here who think wikipedia is a credible source. Anyone can edit it kid.
I see there is at least one incapable of doing a little bit of research and being slightly intellectual. For the last 7 years there have been high profile case studies done on Wikipedia, and it has been proven as one of the most reliable sources of information available on the internet. At one point a study was done that proved it a better resource than Encyclopedia Britannica! That study was of course refuted by Britannica, attempting to save its name with hundreds of thousands of dollars. However, top name professors at Harvard have approved it as a research tool within the classroom.

You are correct, anyone can edit a Wikipedia page to falsify information. Subsequent studies have shown that there are almost 10x as many people consistently seeking to correct wronged material, than there are people sabotaging pages. In a 2009 study, a masters program assigned students to purposefully falsify over 1,000 Wikipedia pages, and take notes on how long it took for them to be corrected. In almost 80% of the articles the problems were fixed within the HOUR. Only .5% of the articles (that's FIVE out of ONE THOUSAND) were not edited correctly before the 24-hour time period had expired. Those articles were however edited several days later.

Sorry "kid". You just happened to negative rep the one person on these forums (likely) that happened to do a Senior Project on the validity of Wikipedia for my third year English class in college. Because of my report, several professors at my university are now allowing Wikipedia as a reliable source of information. The biggest reason people believe it is a flawed source, is that ignorant high school teachers protest against it. I understand the desire to teach kids how to find outside sources, but removing one valuable tool just to make things harder is pathetic. In the real world you're going to want to get your information is quickly as possible, checking sources to make sure it's right. I also did a study on the mental processes of high school teachers for my second year Social Psychology class...so please, call me out on that one too.

All of that aside, to the point at hand: I have personally interviewed a few people from Chicago that are close to Punk in the past for my journalism courses. More reputable people than I have done exactly the same. Punk is straight-edge through and through. It's been well-documented by his friends, family, and even his colleagues. Now, can we close this stupid discussion and get back to the point of this thread?

There is zero reason to do this match at this coming WrestleMania. An Austin/Punk match coupled with the Rock/Cena match would make this year's event possibly the biggest wrestling event of all time ... but there are three reasons why it won't and shouldn't happen this year:

1) The Rock's return has been playing out since last March with multiple appearances and a main event match at Survivor Series. A match involving Austin at this point would fail to match that build.

2) A Punk/Austin match at this coming WrestleMania wouldn't make money. Sounds like an aggressive, controversial statement, but it's actually an obvious one. The Rock and Austin represent the same era and have nearly identical fan bases. The Rock/Cena match is going to bring a lot of the Attitude Era fans back just to see The Rock wrestle. Bringing Austin back for a match against Punk wouldn't add many more fans to the mix since those same fans that would come back to see Austin are already coming back to see The Rock.

3) When you have two potential marquee match-ups, the way to maximize profits is to place those matches on separate cards. That way, people have to pay twice to see both as opposed to just paying once to see both. If Austin wrestles one more match - as many insiders believe he will - and that match is against CM Punk - as many fans believe it should - then the match will take place at WrestleMania 29.

And the seeds to the match - much like Cena/Rock - would probably be planted the night after WrestleMania.

I wouldn't be surprised if Punk retains his WWE Title at 'Mania 28, then shows up on Raw the next night and goes on a tirade about how Cena/Rock got the main event slot. He would mention that he's the WWE Champ, but not even the title can get him in the main event at WrestleMania ... maybe the only way to get in that spot is to challenge a retired WWE star. Cue the broken glass.

...just a thought...

I can see how facing Stone Cold might hurt Punk's face status. Stone Cold is a legend among legends and the fans would likely support him. Punk's promo style lately has gotten him more over as a face though and he has his own legions of supporters. They could always go the respect route, a face VS face match to see who the better man is. If Punk is worthy of Austin's respect, if Austin can still make it through one last match. It would have been better to do this match back when Punk was a heel because he could have gone into his judgmental straight edge persona about Stone Cold's beer drinking. I would still like to see the match and Wrestlemania 28 would be the place to do it. WWE would need to be very careful though about not hurting Punk's face status. It should not be at a lesser PPV, perhaps Summerslam but it would be a waste of an awesome moment to not have it at a top tier show.

I'd like to see this but in a timely manner. I have no interest in Cena vs. Rock anymore. It may build up again in March but as it stands I see no point.

Unfortunately, I don't see this happening because of the nature of their business now. It makes more sense to have Austin the face as he'd be back temporarily, and that would mean the "good" side would be glorifying drinking and admonishing staying sober. A message I don't think the WWE wants to be a part of anymore now that their target audience is so much younger.

A side note that I almost don't want to say for fear of it coming out wrong, it also wouldn't be right to tank a top face for nostalgic purposes.

The "best in the world" and "straight edge" persona would definitely fit well for an Austin/Punk feud. I'm just concerned how much Austin's in-ring ability has diminished. The promos would definitely be great as both are great at getting the crowd behind them on the Mic. I'm all for it and from a business standpoint it could sell better than Cena/Rock as Austin's schedule obviously isn't as busy as The Rock's

Could this not be done on another big ppv stage like SummerSlam?

I agree with others in that from a business point of you, it should not be on this year's card. This year's WM will sell big. Why not repeat the success next year and put it on that card? If this match happens then it will be done this way I think

2) A Punk/Austin match at this coming WrestleMania wouldn't make money. Sounds like an aggressive, controversial statement, but it's actually an obvious one. The Rock and Austin represent the same era and have nearly identical fan bases. The Rock/Cena match is going to bring a lot of the Attitude Era fans back just to see The Rock wrestle. Bringing Austin back for a match against Punk wouldn't add many more fans to the mix since those same fans that would come back to see Austin are already coming back to see The Rock.

So shouldnt an austin vs punk fan helpt bring in more fans from the attitude era?

to the OP, punk is no cash cow, that ridiculous now. Only thing close to that is john cena. so far, other then a boom in shirt merchandise, rating are usually down when cm punk is champ/prominent. I enjoyed his promos like everyone else, but you'd be lying to yourself saying they somehow boosted the rating, because they didnt. rating are going down if anything, however punk is pushed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back