Stone Cold vs: Punk or Goldberg

Who should Stone Cold face?

• CM Punk

• Goldberg

Results are only viewable after voting.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
For months now people have been speculating on a future match between the current WWE Champion, and Hall of Famer "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. Both men have been vocal on Twitter and through interviews that they would like to see the match take place, and CM Punk stirred the pot when he wore Austin's t-shirt during the "shoot heard round the world" (regardless of whether he did that on purpose or not, it still generated a buzz). A video has surfaced of Goldberg saying that he would PROBABLY wrestle a match before the end of 2011, and that his dream match is none other than the Texas Rattlesnake himself.

Either of these potential matches are far from written in stone, but I think fans would be happy if either of these feuds took place. So the obvious question is, which would you rather see? Steve Austin vs. Bill Goldberg, or Steve Austin vs. CM Punk?

Personally, Punk vs. Austin.

Stone Cold says he has more than a single match left, you need to take into regard his age and the lack of ring time hes had in the last eight years. Like it or not, someone would have to carry him in a majority of the match and Bill Goldberg is not somebody who should be carrying anybody. Goldberg himself has been out of action for several years, he'll surely have some rust, although I'd say his fitness is pitch-perfect due to how he says he trains regularly in interviews.

But, what would be the point in bringing back Goldberg for a match with Austin if Bill simply took off again after? Some could say, the exact same argument can be made for The Rock vs. Cena. What's the point when Dwayne will leave shortly after the bout? But when you have one match on the event with those recurring factors, adding a second isn't that wise.

CM Punk vs. Stone Cold would be something which could be, first, one of the most interesting storylines in WWE history. Not only do you have the contrasting lifestyles of the beer drinking Austin against the Straight Edge CM Punk, but you have the rise of Punk now to push it. CM Punk has taken on a new wave of popularity, Austin is one of the most popular figures in WWE history; supposedly the popular figure. Punk winning would catapult him even further.

To me, the positives of a Punk vs. Austin match out-weigh those of Austin vs. Goldberg.

CM Punk vs. Stone Cold would be something which could be, first, one of the most interesting storylines in WWE history. Not only do you have the contrasting lifestyles of the beer drinking Austin against the Straight Edge CM Punk, but you have the rise of Punk now to push it. CM Punk has taken on a new wave of popularity, Austin is one of the most popular figures in WWE history; supposedly the popular figure. Punk winning would catapult him even further.

No argument here. I do think it would rest heavily on which direction they decide to go with Punk, post feud with John Cena. Right now he gets more cheers than anybody in the industry, but against Steve Austin? If his push and heat continue on and don't spiral into the mid card again, do you want to risk that reaction in a match against Stone Cold? Sure, Punk is kinda a heel. But he's a heel in the way that Austin was back in the day. He's supposed to get boo'd out of the building, but in most cases he is the most cheered person in the business. He's the heel people love because he's against the establishment. While everyone wants to see that match, are they actually prepared to take sides when the lines are drawn?

Personally, I'd be super pissed if Steve Austin decided to face Goldberg over Punk. The fact that neither men have physically competed in the WWE in quite some time and the thought of them being one of the main draws in the biggest show f the year pisses me off a bit. Wrestlemania 28 should be about putting the younger (more active) guy over. CM Punk vs. Steve Austin, Rock vs Cena, and if Goldberg decides to comeback then Sheamus may be a good fit for his opponent. Maybe if Goldberg can sign a contract for a six month stay he can compete with Stone Cold at SummerSlam but don't take Punk's spot away. Don't take a spot from another superstar who's been hot as fuck lately. Don't take someone's spot at Wrestlemania if you haven't even been here in the last 6 or 7 years. Punk vs. Steve Austin most definitely will cause me to buy Wrestlemania as opposed to an incredibly rusty Stone Cold vs an even more rusty Golderg in a sloppy match together.

Goldberg hinted at being back in the ring before 2011 is over. Where exactly would the match between himself and Steve Austin take place? WWE doesn't have an event big enough for Goldberg vs. Austin outside of WrestleMania, so I think it's safe to say, if Goldberg's going to wrestle somewhere, it's going to be TNA.

That being said, I'd much rather see Punk vs. Austin. I don't think it's likely to happen, but I know, in 2011, my interest in a Goldberg/Austin match is minimal.

Goldberg hinted at being back in the ring before 2011 is over. Where exactly would the match between himself and Steve Austin take place? WWE doesn't have an event big enough for Goldberg vs. Austin outside of WrestleMania, so I think it's safe to say, if Goldberg's going to wrestle somewhere, it's going to be TNA.

That being said, I'd much rather see Punk vs. Austin. I don't think it's likely to happen, but I know, in 2011, my interest in a Goldberg/Austin match is minimal.

Its easy to say 'I think I'll wrestle another match in 2011' when there are no offers on the table. In reality though, if Vince went to Goldberg and said 'You against Stonecold, Wrestlemania 28' He would snap his hand off to accept it.

TNA or rather Impact Wrestling doesnt provide the 'stage' for Goldberg to wrestle. Not hating, its just a fact.

Back to the OP's question, I would much rather see Stonecold vs CM Punk. There is history there and the build up would be immense

I can't say I really care. Either match would be huge and incredibly enjoyable for me. I love Austin, I love Punk, I love Goldberg. Match them in any way you want - I'm a happy guy. And personally, I don't think Punk deserves a match with Austin. I know, Punk is awesome, but I'm afraid he'll flop within months. You can only shoot on people for so long and I know the WWE loves to have something that is fresh and over and then make the person who said/did it repeat it again and again and again until it becomes a freaking nuisance.

But either way, if any of this happens either way is good for me.

He and Punk can actually put on a good match. Goldberg? Meh.. He hasn't wrestled in a long time. Now he was extremely agile for a man his size but let's face it Stone Cold Vs Goldberg would be as good a wrestling match as Lesnar Vs Goldberg was. I think Punk should face Stone Cold. Though it's funny that this whole match idea first got pitched in WWE All Stars the video game. I think Goldberg should face a new generation powerhouse like Sheamus. I think they can put on a good enough match plus seeing a Goldberg Spear reversed to a Brogue Kick would be fan-fucking-tastic considering that Sheamus always times the Brogue Kick perfectly and executes it to perfection too.

First off, either match would have to take place at Wrestlemania. Goldberg/Austin cannot really happen anywhere else aside from maybe Summerslam like HBK/Hogan, indeed I think any one off return for Stone Cold would need to be at the biggest show.

It depends very much on what point of view you take towards the match as to which one would be more likely to happen.

Creatively, I think Austin would much rather face Punk. The two seem to get on and could have a really good build up to a Wrestlemania contest. Punk is dynamite on the mic and Austin himself could act as an excellent foil for that as he is none too shabby himself. Goldberg on the other hand is the epitome of one-dimensional - a successful one-dimension but one-dimensional nonetheless. Although you could argue that a match like Austin/Goldberg does not really need that much selling where as to the wider world, Punk Austin might(?)

Physically, I think Austin would again rather face Punk, although I am not 100% sold on that. Sure, Goldberg hits harder and has what I would consider to be a bigger potential to hurt Austin while Punk is smaller and less likely to iNJure but a Goldberg/Austin match would likely not reach the 10 minute mark where as Austin might be tempted to go longer with someone like Punk increasing the potential for damage.

And finally the big one, Financially. While Goldberg has been out the wrestling limelight for a good few years, he is still Goldberg and a confrontation with Stone Cold could draw almost guaranteed good numbers where as the jury is still out on whether Punk can convert his current run with the company's top draw into drawing power of his own. The signs do seem positive if early merchandising numbers mean anything (I am one of those with a Punk shirt on back order) but there is nothing set in stone and it is possible that Punk's popularity is almost solely down to either working with Cena or his already existing role as an internet darling. However, it could also be argued that Austin's return match alone, almost regardless of who it was against would be enough of a draw.

Personally, I would hands down want Punk/Austin. My two favourite wrestlers ever (sorry Kurt) squaring off would just be heaven for me. That and I never really liked Goldberg - the epitome of boring for me.

I'm leaning towards Punk vs. Austin but you guys have to admit Austin vs. Goldberg would be EPIC!

Punk doesn't need to go against Austin to solidify his spot as a WWE Elite. Plus going against Austing guarantees he gets booed cuz who would boo Austin?

Austin v. Goldberg would be not as good as expected because they are rusty but it being a Legend V. Legend match would put it over the top. Why are people so stuck on Cm Punk vs. Austin? Just because Punk wore his shirt doesn't mean ANYTHING it was more respect than anything because he never bad-mouthed Austin.

Anyways Austin says he has more than a few matches left so why can't he face both :)

Барбоса;3329982 said:
First off, either match would have to take place at Wrestlemania. Goldberg/Austin cannot really happen anywhere else aside from maybe Summerslam like HBK/Hogan, indeed I think any one off return for Stone Cold would need to be at the biggest show.

It depends very much on what point of view you take towards the match as to which one would be more likely to happen.

Creatively, I think Austin would much rather face Punk. The two seem to get on and could have a really good build up to a Wrestlemania contest. Punk is dynamite on the mic and Austin himself could act as an excellent foil for that as he is none too shabby himself. Goldberg on the other hand is the epitome of one-dimensional - a successful one-dimension but one-dimensional nonetheless. Although you could argue that a match like Austin/Goldberg does not really need that much selling where as to the wider world, Punk Austin might(?)

Physically, I think Austin would again rather face Punk, although I am not 100% sold on that. Sure, Goldberg hits harder and has what I would consider to be a bigger potential to hurt Austin while Punk is smaller and less likely to iNJure but a Goldberg/Austin match would likely not reach the 10 minute mark where as Austin might be tempted to go longer with someone like Punk increasing the potential for damage.

And finally the big one, Financially. While Goldberg has been out the wrestling limelight for a good few years, he is still Goldberg and a confrontation with Stone Cold could draw almost guaranteed good numbers where as the jury is still out on whether Punk can convert his current run with the company's top draw into drawing power of his own. The signs do seem positive if early merchandising numbers mean anything (I am one of those with a Punk shirt on back order) but there is nothing set in stone and it is possible that Punk's popularity is almost solely down to either working with Cena or his already existing role as an internet darling. However, it could also be argued that Austin's return match alone, almost regardless of who it was against would be enough of a draw.

Personally, I would hands down want Punk/Austin. My two favourite wrestlers ever (sorry Kurt) squaring off would just be heaven for me. That and I never really liked Goldberg - the epitome of boring for me.

Good Points but what would CM Punk have to gain? Proving he is the best in the world by facing a former star? Not to knock your idea but all that would do would be giving him heat. Honestly would Austin willingly lose to Punk? Not a chance so it's best to go legend vs. legend or make Punk a full blow heel before you do so. Face vs. Face/Tweener wouldn't work because Punk will not get cheers maybe not boos but no cheers

Good Points but what would CM Punk have to gain? Proving he is the best in the world by facing a former star? Not to knock your idea but all that would do would be giving him heat. Honestly would Austin willingly lose to Punk? Not a chance so it's best to go legend vs. legend or make Punk a full blow heel before you do so. Face vs. Face/Tweener wouldn't work because Punk will not get cheers maybe not boos but no cheers

Punk would gain the publicity from working with Stone Cold. He'd gain what could be the most interesting story line in recent memory to his resume, he'd gain a historic match on his resume also. Currently Punk's most notable WrestleMania match is with Randy Orton, or if not him, Rey Mysterio. Punk working with Austin would solidify himself as a name to reckoned with.

I'm probably one of the biggest Punk marks on the forum. CM Punk may have created an aura around wrestling once again but the aura isn't enough, many people still don't know of him; and in his own words, not wrestling fans, I mean real people, those out of the circle. Who doesn't know of Stone Cold Steve Austin? CM Punk's name would increase in noteriety and hence he would gain from the match.

Honestly, Punk v. Austin would be a friggin' rivalry of the ages and could result in a lot of one-ups-man-ship. They are the types that make amazing comparisons and contrasts and if set up would really sell.

Punk would gain the publicity from working with Stone Cold. He'd gain what could be the most interesting story line in recent memory to his resume, he'd gain a historic match on his resume also. Currently Punk's most notable WrestleMania match is with Randy Orton, or if not him, Rey Mysterio. Punk working with Austin would solidify himself as a name to reckoned with.

I'm probably one of the biggest Punk marks on the forum. CM Punk may have created an aura around wrestling once again but the aura isn't enough, many people still don't know of him; and in his own words, not wrestling fans, I mean real people, those out of the circle. Who doesn't know of Stone Cold Steve Austin? CM Punk's name would increase in noteriety and hence he would gain from the match.

What I'm saying is that he doesn't need to go against Austin to solidify his career. Punk vs. Jericho would be that match that would be his signature Wrestlemania moment. I'd rather see Austin Vs. Miz then Austin Vs. Punk because Miz is someone would could play the cocky person who gets taken down a notch. Tell me how the Punk vs. Austin Match would end to you ? Who hasn't heard of Austin? Exactly But I would rather see a Legend vs. Legend match then Punk losing to Austin that's pretty predictable

What I'm saying is that he doesn't need to go against Austin to solidify his career. Punk vs. Jericho would be that match that would be his signature Wrestlemania moment. I'd rather see Austin Vs. Miz then Austin Vs. Punk because Miz is someone would could play the cocky person who gets taken down a notch. Tell me how the Punk vs. Austin Match would end to you ? Who hasn't heard of Austin? Exactly But I would rather see a Legend vs. Legend match then Punk losing to Austin that's pretty predictable

Go listen to some SCSA interviews. Go watch his DVD's. Go read interviews with him. He knows the business like the back of his hand and he knows that him returning to defeat CM Punk, although wouldn't be all that bad, but if it was to have an adverse affect on Punk, Austin would know that taking a loss is just business.

This isn't an egomaniac we're talking about. Stone Cold fell to defeat in his final match against The Rock at WrestleMania 19. He knew he was finishing and he lost, to his greatest rival in his final match. To have the chance, to push Punk even further; hell, Austin is the type of guy who'd take pleasure in losing to Punk.

For me, it's Austin vs. Punk all the way. I have no interest in seeing Austin vs. Goldberg. It's not 1998 anymore and Punk is just so far and away a much better wrestler than Goldberg that it's just not even funny.

I will say that Goldberg did have a presence, a legit intensity and intimdation factor about him. Right place, right time and the right sort of character. In terms of matches, however, most of them were pure shit. Goldberg was good in the short term. Put him in a match that lasted 5 minutes or so and he'd do fine. Longer than that, his limitations became apparent.

I'm not so sure that Goldberg would be that big of a draw. It's possible I suppose but Goldberg is one of these guys whose legacy is continuously hyped on by the IWC rather than your average fan. Punk would simply be able to give Austin a much better match and the fans would get their money's worth. It would be so easy and appealing for the WWE to book the match as a meeting of two generations. The most controversial and talked about wrestler of yesterday vs. the most controversial and talked about wrestler of today. With Goldberg, for me, it'd just feel like nostalgia moment between two guys who haven't wrestled in nearly a decade going for one last huge paycheck and moment in the spotlight.

As much as i wanted to see Goldberg vs. Austin that was a match that should have happened in the 90's because thats when Goldberg was in WCW at the height of the NWO and had the undefeated streak going. Goldberg was a badass in WCW no matter what you kick anybody ass and had the best entrance compared to the Undertaker with the whole blowing the smoke outta his nose and mouth. Austin was the beer drinking ass kicking tough son of a bitch that would flip off the boss and drink a beer and didn't care about anything. Now I think with Punk whole lifestyle being straight-edge and Austin being Austin would have the better build up and just enough fuel for the fire plus I never think Goldberg ever carried a match it was always somebody else who carried Goldberg while Austin could carry a match when need be, but with Austin not wrestling since 2003, Punk could carry Austin through half the match until the ring rust fades and Austin can get the gears rolling again.

i would love to see both matches happen. the reason for this is because cm punk and stone cold have been involved in a twitter "war" for a few months now and i would love to see that end with a match between the two. i would also love to see stone cold and goldberg face off in a match because i would suspect goldberg would be out for revenge after what austin did to him after his match against brock lesnar at wrestlemania 20. but if i had to pick one match over the other, i would want to see cm punk wrestle stone cold steve austin.

It might be cool to see Austin/Goldberg but I have no idea how you book a match like that let alone a whole feud (see edit in the next paragraph). Both guys are up in age, I never thought Goldberg was much in the ring or much on the mic. I feel like this would be a huge letdown.

My only booking idea (and this is a long shot) use Tough Enough by having a format similar to Ultimate Fighter where Austin and Goldberg both train teams, build up some animosity in the competition and in the end have a match to solve their differences. (Curious what people think of this idea)

Austin/Punk on the other hand would be likely to have a great face/face match and feud. Let these guys write their own segments and book their own match. It would be awesome. I don't think financially it makes sense to have it at WM 28 since they are likely to get plenty of the same type of casual fans already paying for Rock/Cena.

facing Goldberg in 2011 would be completely pointless for both men and would do absolutely nothing for either of their careers. Punk on the other hand, would benefit SIGNIFICANTLY from a matchup of this magnitude and should be the first priority of the WWE if there's a possibility for it to happen.

Stone Cold vs CM Punk they are polished wrestlers Goldberg hurt the Bret Hart by accident but he is so inexprienced and I wouldnt want Stone Cold to get hurt.

I would like to see stone cold vs cm punk for couple of resons
1. punk is a better wrestler than Goldberg
2. Goldberg is a washed up old wrestler
3. can Goldberg even be in the same league as cm punk as of this time

imgres

It is more likely we will see a Austin vs. Punk match then a Austin vs. Goldberg match in 2011 or even 2012. Austin and Goldberg have been out of the ring for almost a decade. They are both in great shape, but I'm sure they would prefer someone younger to work with that can handle the majority of the work load. Austin vs. Punk would be a better match up considering that Punk could carry the match if he needed to.

Austin vs. Goldberg would have been a marquee match up 10 years ago or even 8 years ago. I'm interested to see how one last Goldberg appearance could play out, but I don't think he will have much of an impact as he did when he was white hot in the late 90s and early 2000. Plus, Punk vs. Austin writes itself. Both guys speak their mind and are anti authority. One is Straight Edge and the other is a rebellious beer drinker.

I wouldn't complain if we saw either match up though. Both Austin and Goldberg were huge draws and they should have fought at least once when they were both in WWE. I just think Punk vs. Austin would be more appealing to more viewers then Austin vs. Goldberg. Either way though it would be great to see.

Austin vs Goldberg is ten years too late. Both are up in age Austin is banged up and Goldberg has lost a considerable amount of muscle. I can't see Austin selling a lot of Goldbergs offence like his Powerslams with his limitations.

Go listen to some SCSA interviews. Go watch his DVD's. Go read interviews with him. He knows the business like the back of his hand and he knows that him returning to defeat CM Punk, although wouldn't be all that bad, but if it was to have an adverse affect on Punk, Austin would know that taking a loss is just business.

This isn't an egomaniac we're talking about. Stone Cold fell to defeat in his final match against The Rock at WrestleMania 19. He knew he was finishing and he lost, to his greatest rival in his final match. To have the chance, to push Punk even further; hell, Austin is the type of guy who'd take pleasure in losing to Punk.

Yeah I understand but if it's his last dance wwe WONT let him lose. Back in the day is different Austin would drop a match to The Rock becuase he and The Rock had multiple rivalries and SCSA beat Rock more than the Rock beat him so losing one wasn't going to take away from him. He can't make up the lost to CM Punk so if he does do a few matches you and I both know he will win. Don't get me wrong him vs. CM Punk would be Epic but Punk vs. SCSA would be a lot to talk about then it would fizzle out and Punk would be just a guy who lost. Nice Discussion BTW this is my first one it's pretty fun :lmao: I know Austin vs. Goldberg wouldn't be the best match but I just don't see CM Punk vs. SCSA

Gah, stop hating on Goldberg or I'll go postal on all you guys. :p lol

As a fan I'd rather see Austin vs Goldberg, but you're asking what should happen.

What SHOULD happen is that Austin should fight both, but if it's only 1 match then it had better be against CM Punk. Austin may be friends with Goldberg, and he may want to wrestle again, but he hasn't expressed interest in fighting Goldberg, and he has against CM Punk. Also it makes a lot more sense to put over CM Punk and for Austin to lose the match.

Austin vs Goldberg doesn't make sense unless they both come back and stay for a while and start out as friends and then have things sour and turn into an ugly rivalry to take place at some point after Austin vs Punk and Goldberg does his part to put over the younger wrestlers.

Despite most people's opinions of Goldberg he knows he's past his prime and is to the point where he needs to put over younger guys. He has never been the high ego guy, he's been the man with self respect, and people have a hard time understanding the difference. Goldberg's not going to want to put over guys he has no professional respect for, especially the second time around.

Goldberg would happily feud and lose to John Cena and Randy Orton (in fact I would bet that Goldberg would enjoy feuding with and putting over Randy Orton) as long as he didn't look like a pansy doing it, and there's pretty much no chance of THAT happening. He would have a problem putting over a scumbag that's doing stuff he considers morally disgusting and at the same time, over as a face, but he's done that too in the past. Bret Hart was the same way.

WWE has turned away from the product that Goldberg said he didn't want to be associated with and has become the product he wanted to be associated with. He hasn't say that last part explicitely, but going off what Goldberg has said he wanted to be doing and the type of place he wanted to be associated with, WWE fits that bill now, so it makes more sense that Goldberg would return to the WWE and work on a new (likely his final) chapter in his wrestling career.

I really don't see why we can't have both. Do I really think we will? Nah, not realistically. Austin will probably put over CM Punk in some way shape or form, but feuding with Goldberg. I could only hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back