Stone Cold vs: Punk or Goldberg

Who should Stone Cold face?

• CM Punk

• Goldberg

Results are only viewable after voting.
If this was in like 2002 i would prefer to see Goldberg an Austin, hell I would still like to see it, it would be damn cool.
But Punk sounds like a better idea, it would launch his career furthermore and help cement him in the main event category.
I just think CM Punk vs Austin will end up as a great match. While there is a slight chance Goldberg v Austin will be terrible, could be great, but i'm just not sure

this is a no brainer for me without a doubt id rather see austin face punk 1 on 1 on the grandest stage of them all! i think the match would be amazing but the build up to it would be even better then the match itself! the fact that cm punk is straightedge and austin is a beer drinking redneck just gives both men alot of fuel to work with for the promos/cut scenes to build up to the match! austin giving punk a beer bath,punk bashing austin for drinking beer etc. id love to see this match it would be great and with punks current gimmick u could have him saying austin kissed triple h and vince mcmahons ass to get into another wrestlemania main event....id LOVE to see this match but as far as stone cold vs goldberg goes...ehhh doesnt sound like a good match to me

Punk and Austin is more realistic, Goldberg is not safe enough for Austin to work with.

Punk and Austin would sell more PPV's IMO if it was the co-main event with Rock and Cena

Austin has always said that he has that one match left in him but that IF he would ever step in the ring again, he would against someone he can trust. I think Punk fits that criteria much more than Goldberg so I guess Austin would like to work with Punk rather than Goldberg. Add to that the fact that Austin think Punk is the best thing about wrestling today. As far as building a feud leading to Wrestlemania and also the actual match, I have no doubt Austin-Punk would be much much better than anything Austin-Goldberg could bring, probably better than Rock-Cena..however as far as being a bigger attraction than Austin-Goldberg, I don`t know but it would still make more sense for wwe to have Austin-Punk match. You can trust Punk to carry a match and I am pretty sure you won`t have a "if Austin loose,we riot" situation here. I don`t think many fans will have any problem seeing Punk beat Austin.
If Austin-Punk happened, it would be my big attraction of the night but hey one can still hope tho I don`t see it happening.

Frankly speaking, I don't want to see Austin back in the ring just like I don't like seeing the Rock in the ring. Face it, they don't have practice and can't move around quickly or brawl the way they used to earlier. Moreover, Austin and Rock aren't really who you'd call good "wrestlers" like Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels, but they were more popular due to their characters/ gimmicks/ mic-skills and entertainment value. You can't expect a stellar match from them at this point, regardless of who its against.

But more than the Rock, what is to be concerned about is whether Austin's body (neck, specifically) can take it. Since he says that he wants to have a match with Punk and stated in an interview that he can wrestle a bit more, maybe he can.

Austin vs Goldberg will be a dead rubber. Surely it will be worse than Goldberg vs Lesnar which in itself was a pathetic match for all the build-up and anticipation. Moreover, it won't bring anything good for whoever wins it.

Austin vs Punk, one the other hand, will draw more since Punk is on the top right now and because their gimmicks will be contrasting - a foul mouthed beer drinker vs a straightedge messaiah. And as Punk is quite the rebel now who was wearing Austin's T shirt when he gave an Austin 3:16 like speech - it will be interesting. Punk, with his athleticism, will hopefully also be able to cover up for Austin's (assumed at this age) slowness in the ring, and put up better than what Goldberg can put because Goldberg never put a memorable match in his entire career anyways. However, the build-up to Austin vs Punk will be better than Rock vs cena because Austin will at least turn up every week for a promo rather than appearing via satellite or just having a lame Twitter war. As of now, Rock vs cena is the worst built-up main-event in Wrestlemania history.

Austin will definitely lose to Punk because it will be like a passing of the torch. He has nothing to gain by winning by returning in the ring after so many years. He surely has thought of it and accepted it in his mind himself that if he wrestles Punk, it will be to lose and not to win. Just like the Rock will lose to cena. Just like Hogan lost to the Rock. Its a passing of the torch. Anyone who thinks that Austin or Rock will win their matches are delusional who don't understand business and who the WWE has succeeded in fooling. Bet you also thought that HBK will beat Taker at Mania 25 and 26.

Have you seen Goldberg lately? He has lost like 100 pounds of muscle mass. He's but a shadow of the bull he used to be. Also, both Austin and Goldberg haven't wrestled in years. A one time only match between the two could be a very awkward sight to behold. Also, remember Goldberg's last WWE match? shudder

CM Punk on the other hand is in his prime and he could definitely carry a match against an older, rusty opponent. Also the eventuality of Austin-Punk has been teased on numerous occasions. On top of that, Punk is filling a similar role to Austin's back in the day: the anti-hero rebel (albeit in his own, different way). So similar, yet so different.
And Austin himself has said that a match against Punk would be the way to go.

As far as I'm concerned this is not a difficult choice to make.

posted by Cult of Personality
Yeah I understand but if it's his last dance wwe WONT let him lose. Back in the day is different Austin would drop a match to The Rock becuase he and The Rock had multiple rivalries and SCSA beat Rock more than the Rock beat him so losing one wasn't going to take away from him. He can't make up the lost to CM Punk so if he does do a few matches you and I both know he will win.
I respectfully disagree. I see CM Punk winning against Stone Cold, should that match ever take place and Austin being very happy to do the honors. Austin knows it's a business and that it's only logical to give the still active guy a rub. Steve Austin is NOT Hulk Hogan. Austin may not be willing to do the honors for just anyone (so weird he refused to job to Jonathan Coachman...), but for a guy whom he openly admires like Punk I doubt he would have it any other way.
I do see an off chance that Punk might insist on losing to a legend he respects. In that case Austin's win would likely be anything but clean. They would make sure Punk gets out of this affair looking like he should have easily won.

Chris Jericho beat Ricky Steamboat, Roddy Piper and Jimmy Snuka in an elimination handicap match. Sgt. Slaughter loses to anyone he gets in the ring with for the last 10 years. When was the last time Mick Foley won a match? All the old guys always put over the youngsters. That's simply the way the cookie crumbles and it's the way it should be. Hulk Hogan is the only exception there. It's no coincidence he is considered a self-absorbed tremendous jackass.

CM PUNK.
Goldberg cant wrestle for jackshit, and his mic skills are awefull. Punk on the other hand, no one can hold a candle to him, he is what he says he is, the best in the world. That match will deliver alot more than Cena vs Rock. People who think Goldberg would hurt someone in the ring are out of their mind. Goldberg lost 50 pounds. If he got in the ring, he would die. I hated how he acted like superman, he was as bad as Hogan. He injures other wrestlers but in real life would get his ass kicked by anyone.

CM PUNK.
Goldberg cant wrestle for jackshit.

THAT made me laugh. Seriously? Even funnier thing was some guy saying Punk is a better wrestler than Goldberg. Man, you guys really are jumping on the bandwagon aren't you?
I think what you meant to say is that Goldberg is a shitty sports entertainer. Wrestling wise, the guy is a monster. And I don't think it would take him much time to get his built back.

Anywho, coming back to the topic. I choose Punk Vs. Austin right now cause
1) Goldberg Vs. Austin wouldn't be a big draw now.
2) No one would want to see either lose, I mean come on why would both return from retirement just to lose. None of them are active wrestlers. It wouldn't make sense.

And yeah, take the CM Punk thing bit easy guys. Don't make him a Bieber!

Right now I would rather a Punk Vs Austin feud. I think it would make more sense. There's been many comparisons, they've been 'exchanging words' on Twitter, Punk wore the Austin top during his 'shoot' etc. Whereas all that has happened with Austin and Goldberg is one thing. I also think it would be a better match, neither Austin or Goldberg have been in the ring for a while so both men wouldn't be at their best in the ring whereas if Punk and Austin had a match Punk could carry him if need be. I also think there would be better promos Punk is great on the mic and so is Austin.

Austin VS Goldberg would not live up to fan expectations at this point. Back in the Attitude Era it was a dream match of epic proportions but now neither of them are anywhere their prime. CM Punk IS in his prime though and would be able to carry Stone Cold through the match. I would also enjoy seeing this match more than the Goldberg one because it would benefit WWE more to add to Punk's credibility by having him win a feud with a legend among legends like Stone Cold.

if this was 1998 Austin vs Goldberg could of put 90,000 asses in any arena around the world and bin the biggest match in wrestling history... now its MEH none of them wrestle so not as hype anymore..

Cm punk is the hottest thing in wrestling right now and everyone wants to see him vs austin.. so im going with austin vs punk now... if we could go back n time austin vs goldberg

It has to be CM Punk. Not only is that the match-up people are looking for right now, but at this stage in their lives Stone Cold and Goldberg would put on a horrible match. CM Punk can pull much more out of Stone Cold, he can actually make the match entertaining, whereas Goldberg (who wasn't very interesting at times in his prime) would be very formulaic, to the point where it would be unbearable to watch.

Goldberg would be better suited to face Undertaker or someone like that, make it more of a spectacle if you're going to bring him back.

Punk vs. Austin
...absolutely no question about it.

I honestly couldn't care about a Goldberg return any less. I think if most wrestling fans really thought about it, they would feel the same.

Goldberg is dated, boring, and there just isn't anything for him to do in wrestling anymore. He had his big return some 6 or 7 years back and it ended up fizzling out. Watching him wrestle Austin, someone who has stayed entertaining and relevant over the years, would just be disappointing in terms of it being an Austin return match.

CM Punk, on the other hand, would be a real dream match! He's by far the better wrestler when compared to Goldberg. The promos between Punk and Austin would be pure gold.

Not to take anything away from what Goldberg did in the past, but CM Punk is just the obviously better choice in my mind.

I could care less about Austin vs. Punk. I want to see the two hottest stars of the late nineties go at it. If I can't have Austin vs. Hogan, then I want the next best thing. Make a call to Bischoff to be the referee. Would be awesome.

Honestly, I forgot Austin and Goldberg didn't already have a match. I thought they did.

I'd want to see Austin vs. Punk, not just because I'm a fan of Punk's, but because it'd be more than a novelty event. As much as we all love Austin, he's done being a full-time guy. He hasn't wrestled in almost a decade. Goldberg hasn't been relevant in about as long. There's some nostalgia, I guess, but seriously, what's to gain besides like 10 minutes of meager excitement? It'd be another one of those quickly built, forced matches that almost always disappoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back