SmackDown LD 1/27: Vipers, Fellas, & Funky Chickens

Vincent Michaels

My weapon of choice? A green onion.
20111226_sd_orton_barrett_l_0.jpg

Tonight, Randy Orton returns to action to face Wade Barrett. What will happen when The Viper tangles with the Superstar who put him out of commission?

Will we learn of any more names that will be competing in this Sunday's Royal Rumble Match?

Will The Big Show be on SmackDown tonight? Also, will Daniel Bryan or Mark Henry confront him over his actions two weeks ago?

After their electrifying match one week ago on SmackDown, Justin Gabriel and Intercontinental Champion Cody Rhodes will once again try to settle their differences in the ring this Friday on SmackDown.

Will Jinder Mahal continue to get dominated by Sheamus, eventhough it hasn't meant anything in several weeks!?

Will "The Funkasaurus" Brodus Clay continue to be the best thing on WWE TV in a long time? Will William Regal try to confront him once again?

Will The Divas Division ever come out of irrelevancy!?

tunein-smackdown.png

Last Week:
SD_01172012jg_0549_small.jpg
SD_01172012ej_1404_small.jpg

SD_01172011ej_0231_small.jpg
SD_01172012jg_0384_small.jpg

LAS VEGAS – “Sin City SmackDown” lit up Las Vegas like never before, with a series of explosive specialty matches determined by the unpredictability of the roulette wheel. And when the aggressive actions of World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan sent the lumberjack World Title showdown spiraling into madness, the WWE Universe was given a true taste of the bedlam the Royal Rumble Match will bring in just nine days.

•Daniel Bryan called for Big Show to quit
•Intercontinental Champion Cody Rhodes def. Justin Gabriel (Player’s Choice Match)
•WWE Tag Team Champions Epico & Primo def. The Usos (Tag Team Tornado Match)
•Brodus Clay def. Vickie Guerrero (Dance Off)
•Wade Barrett def. Sheamus (Tables Match)
•Ted DiBiase def. Hunico (Flag Match)
•Santino Marella def. Drew McIntyre (Blindfold Match)
•World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan vs. Mark Henry (World Title Lumberjack Match) (No Contest)

83a38b6850_57791326_o2.jpg

World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan vs. Big Show vs. Mark Henry (Triple Threat Steel Cage Match)

30-Man Royal Rumble Match
Almost three decades ago, the dream of WWE Chairman Mr. McMahon was made manifest with the birth of the squared circle’s most celebrated spectacle, WrestleMania. More than a quarter of a century later, 30 WWE Superstars will have the ultimate opportunity to realize their dream of performing in main event match at The Showcase of the Immortals. They can dance on The Grandest Stage of Them All at WrestleMania XXVIII.
But first, one Superstar will need to surpass the efforts of 29 opposing competitors with the same aspiration in the 2012 Royal Rumble Match. A celebrated tradition in WWE, the Rumble began in 1988 with a relatively modest figure of 20 Superstars, but has boasted at least 30 competitors since the following year. Last year, 10 additional gladiators brought the count to 40, creating a chaotic environment ultimately won by The Mexican Aristocrat Alberto Del Rio. This year, the Rumble Match honors its heritage by reverting to the classic 30-man format that is so beloved by the WWE Universe. A test of endurance, athleticism and survival at all costs, the Rumble Match is the definitive Battle Royal, where each Superstar’s prime objective is to propel their opponents over the top rope, with both feet touching the floor. Every 90 seconds, an additional ring warrior with a randomly drawn entry number joins the fray.
In the end, the last Superstar standing can officially punch a gold-embossed ticket to Miami, where they will contend for either Raw’s WWE Championship or SmackDown’s World Heavyweight Championship. Though luck of the draw can be a critical factor in such a high-stakes situation, past winners have included Superstars who kicked off the Rumble Match at number one (including 1995’s Shawn Michaels victory) or number two (Rey Mysterio in 2006, and The Chairman himself in 1999). Commonly considered the most desired slot, only twice has the Rumble been won by the Superstar entering at the revered number 30: The Undertaker’s sole conquest in 2007, and John Cena’s shocking return and victory at Madison Square Garden in 2008. Surprises and other unique moments have become de rigueur for Rumble Matches, including the aforementioned John Cena victory, Edge’s similar feat in 2010, and last year’s appearances of Diesel and Booker T.
Even WWE Hall of Famer Drew Carey got in on the action in 2001. In 1998, all three of Mick Foley’s personas – Cactus Jack, Mankind, and Dude Love – all entered the Rumble Match individually. One can only speculate which Legends, returning favorites, or pop culture icons may make unannounced cameos at this year’s event. However, as the saying goes, “You have to be in it to win it.”
This Sunday, January 29, who's going to WrestleMania!?

WrestleManiaXXVIII.png

Well with Orton's announced return to action tonight, I think it's pretty clear he's not going to win the Rumble. Anyone else feel like the written winner of the Rumble this year has changed multiple times already?

I gotta say, I'm actually interested to see where this Drew McIntyre angle is going. I could never stand him when he was being pushed, but now I'm at the least very curious.

Will we see Beth Phoenix for the first time in weeks? Probably not.

And hopefully they book Sheamus strongly, though he'll probably just be wasted on Jinder Mahal again. My pick to win the Rumble (once DB turned heel) is looking less and less likely.

Ehhh. I'll watch it later this weekend, before the Rumble hopefully. Cavs game on now, and other wrestling I want to watch anyway.

DBs character is really evolving into something interesting. I really want to see how the triple threat match plays out with a face in Show, an established heel in Henry and a guy who is turning in DB.

Oh and did anyone catch Booker telling Cole to shut up at the start of the broadcast? That drew a smile

Its a shame it took till he was almost 40 before Henry finally found a good character for him to play. Imagine if he had this character even 5 years ago, let alone way back when he was just coming out of the breakup of The Nation.

I really like his mic work and after his guest commentary stint a few weeks back I hope he takes that up full time when his in ring career comes to a close

That was not a particularly good showing by Gabriel. I mean technically, he was fine. Did everything perfectly, his offence seemed to ge tthe crowd going, and I'd like to see him and Cody go at it again with 10+ minutes. But at the same time he didn't work the crowd at all.

^^
I was thinking something similar. Before the match I was wondering to myself if Gabriel was the guy they wanted to build up to take the IC title from Cody so he can make the transition to full fledged main eventer but after that match I'm not so sure

Also I wonder if they are going to play the losing streak angle with Drew McIntyre? He didn't come off nearly as cocky as usual this week so they may be setting it up

See, that's what's missing from most guys anymore: there's nothing different about them. With Brodus, he's unique. You see him and you want to know what's going on.

This made me laugh.

"If he's the only funkasaurus in captivity then is his theme song an attempt to get someone to tell his mother he's still alive?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back