Shadowmancer's Wrestler of the Week

Liger is amazing. I've been into him since I was about 10 years old and I first caught a glimpse of him in WCW taking on Pillman numerous times and also participating in Battlebowl '91 @ Starrcade. My favorite match of his is still the encounter from Starrcade 1996 when he was booked against Rey Misterio, Jr. Both in their primes. Everything was executed flawlessly. The clueless audience in Nashville had no idea what they were witnessing...but I DID. He powerbombed Rey out on the floor, nailed him with a beautiful somersault koppo kick and sealed the deal with a wicked sit-out Liger-bomb. Shadow...this was a great choice.

Jushin "Thunder" Liger he is definetly a great ambassador for the wrestling community, he has had excellent matches with some of the best, if not the best in the world classic matches with Eddie Guererro, Chris Benoit, Samoa Joe (that was a magnificent match they really pulled out all the stops on that one) showing that he can adapt to wrestling anyone without even workng with them before, Liger has earned his stripes more then what i can say for other wrestlers (cough, cough John Cena, Batista, Bobby Lashley, Mark Henry) who only got their jobs for sucking penis.

Ah yes, excellent choice Shadow. Jushin Liger was one of the first cruiserweights I watched, because of his feud with Brian Pillman. I remember watching those matches. It was having a wrestling awaking watching those two feud. Here state side we had been used to big man wrestling all throughout the 80's with the Hulk, and to see this style come in was like opening up a whole new world.

Needless to say, once the Lightweights got their exposure in ECW, and then the Cruisers in WCW, I was hooked. This guy was awesome in the ring, and it's a shame that this style of wrestling is buried in this country.

Great pick! I really took notice to him during his fued with one of my all time favorites Brian Pillman. Those were the glory days, I was a young kid in awe when I saw them compete live in Minnesota. Keep the picks coming.

This Weeks Wrestler of the Week is: Rob Van Dam:robvandam:
RobVanDamWWE.jpg

Wrestling facts

Finishing moves
Five-Star Frog Splash (High elevation frog splash, turning in midair if target is not perpendicular to flight path)
Van Daminator (Spinning heel-kick, driving a steel chair into the face of the opponent)
Van Terminator (Corner-to-corner missile dropkick, driving a steel chair or other foreign object into the face of the opponent)

Signature moves
Air Van Dam (Somersault senton from top turnbuckle to opponent outside of ring)
Rolling Thunder (Forward roll into somersault senton)
Rolling Thunder Monkey Flip (Forward roll into monkey flip on cornered opponent)
Rolling Thunder Splash (Forward roll into vertical splash)
Skateboard (Running dropkick, driving a steel chair into the face of a seated opponent in the corner of the ring)
Steam Roller (Rolling fireman's carry slam)
Baseball slide to a seated opponent in the corner of the ring
Corkscrew leg drop
Crossbody - sometimes done while facing away from opponent
Diving leg drop
Falling slam
Fisherman brainbuster (1996)
Flying thrust kick
Inverted suplex onto the barricade followed by climbing onto an elevated surface and jumping off with a corkscrew leg drop to the back
Leg sweep
Lifting double underhook facebuster
Monkey flip
Moonsault
Northern lights suplex
Pescado
Roundhouse kick
Side kick
Slingshot leg drop
Somersault leg drop - in ECW - sometimes done from the top rope
Spinning crescent kick - sometimes done when running into a cornered opponent
Split-legged moonsault
Springboard leg lariat
Standing moonsault - sometimes preceded by a cartwheel
Two turnbuckle thrusts followed by a back handspring and a running thrust
Various kicks and kicking combos
Windmill kick

Managers
Bill "Fonzie" Alfonso
Paul Heyman
Jerry Lawler
Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley

Nicknames
Mr. Monday Night (Monday Night RAW)
Mr. Tuesday Night (ECW on Sci Fi)
Mr. Thursday Night (SmackDown!)
Mr. Friday Night (ECW on TNN)
Mr. Saturday Night (Velocity)
Mr. Pay Per View (ECW pay-per-view)
Mr. Money in the Bank
Mr. NBC (City Guys)
"Magic Soldier" Rob Van Dam (All Japan Pro Wrestling)
RVD
RVD 4:20 (Also a parody of Austin 3:16)
The Whole Dam Show
The Whole F'n Show
The Whole Fucking Show
Van Dam

Championships and accomplishments

All Star Wrestling
ASW North American Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

Extreme Championship Wrestling
ECW World Tag Team Championship (2 times) - with Sabu
ECW World Television Championship (1 time)

International Wrestling Federation
IWF Television Champion (1 time)

National Wrestling Council
NWC Tag Team Champion (1 time) - with Bobby Bradley

Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Comeback of the Year award in 2001
PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year award in 2001
PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year award in 2002
PWI ranked him # 1 in the PWI 500 in 2002
PWI ranked him # 152 of the 500 best singles wrestlers of the "PWI Years" in 2003.

Peach State Wrestling
PSW Cordele City Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

South Atlantic Pro Wrestling
SAPW Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Chaz Rocco

World Wrestling Entertainment
ECW World Championship (1 time)
WWE Championship (1 time)
WWE European Championship (1 time) (Last Champion)
WWE Intercontinental Championship (6 times)
WWE Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Rey Mysterio
WWF/E Hardcore Championship (4 times) (Last Champion)
World Tag Team Championship (2 times) - with Kane (1) and Booker T (1)
Mr. Money in the Bank (2006)
Fifteenth Triple Crown Champion
Sixth Grand Slam Champion

Matches
Rob Van Dam Vs. Flash Funk, WWF 1997

Rob Van Dam Vs. Jerry Lynn, WWF

Rob Van Dam Vs. Jeff Hardy, WWF inVasion

Rob Van Dam Vs. "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig

Rob Vam Dam Vs. Jeff Hardy, WWF

Rob Van Dam & Billy Kidman Vs. Jeff Hardy & X Pac

Rob Van Dam Vs. Jeff Hardy

Rob Van Dam Vs. John Cena Vs. Edge

Rob Van Dam Vs. John Cena pt.1, WWE ECW One Night Stand 2006
Rob Van Dam Vs. John Cena pt.2, WWE ECW One Night Stand 2006
Rob Van Dam Vs. John Cena pt.3, WWE ECW One Night Stand 2006

Rob Van Dam Vs. Rey Mysterio, WWE Head to Head

Rob Van Dam & Jerry Lynn Vs. Headbangers, WWF 1997

Rob Van Dam Vs. Rhino pt.1, ECW Anarchy Rulz 2000
Rob Van Dam Vs. Rhino pt.2, ECW Anarchy Rulz 2000

Rob Van Dam Vs. Chris Jericho pt.1, WWF Unforgiven 2001
Rob Van Dam Vs. Chris Jericho pt.2, WWF Unforgiven 2001
Rob Van Dam Vs. Chris Jericho pt.3, WWF Unforgiven 2001

Rob Van Dam Vs. Elijah Burke

Rob Van Dam Vs. Sabu, AJPW

Rob Van Dam Vs. Tommy Dreamer, WWE

Rob Van Dam & Sabu Vs. Hayabusa & Tommy Dreamer, FMW

Rob Van Dam Vs. Sabu pt.1, NEWF 1991
Rob Van Dam Vs. Sabu pt.2, NEWF 1991

Rob Van Dam Vs. Taz pt.1, ECW
Rob Van Dam Vs. Taz pt.2, ECW

Rob Van Dam & Sabu Vs. Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat pt.1, ECW
Rob Van Dam & Sabu Vs. Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat pt.2, ECW
Rob Van Dam & Sabu Vs. Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat pt.3, ECW

Rob Van Dam Vs. Kurt Angle Vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin pt.1, WWF No Mercy 2001
Rob Van Dam Vs. Kurt Angle Vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin pt.2, WWF No Mercy 2001
Rob Van Dam Vs. Kurt Angle Vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin pt.3, WWF No Mercy 2001
Rob Van Dam Vs. Kurt Angle Vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin pt.4, WWF No Mercy 2001

Rob Van Dam Vs. Brock Lesnar, WWF King of the Ring 2002

Rob Van Dam Vs. Sabu Vs. The Sandman Vs. Tommy Dreamer, WWE ECW

Rob Van Dam Vs. 2 Cold Scorpio pt.1, ECW Cyberslam 1999
Rob Van Dam Vs. 2 Cold Scorpio pt.2, ECW Cyberslam 1999

Rob Van Dam Vs. Jerry Lynn, ECW Guilty as Charged 2001

Rob Van Dam Vs. Shelton Benjamin, WWE Backlash 2006

I expect comments on this Weeks Wrestler of the Week, I apologise for the Delay but here the matches are.

You cant beat a bit of RVD. Some of those matchs remind me of how good he was. Before Vinnie Mac turned him into a guillable babyface.

RVD is easily one of the 5 best wrestlers I've ever seen. The man in ECW was light years ahead of anyone in the big two.

My biggest aggrivation with webheads is "Oh, RVD is a Spot Monkey" Horseshit. Sure he hits his spots, but who the hell doesn't. The fact is, RVD in ECW didn't hit all of his spots in one match, much like a Hardy Boy match. RVD's ECW matches were always edge of your seat and leaving you wanting more.

This is another example of Vince fucking up yet another talent with his "if it isn't broke, lets still fix it into a WWE image." Lets take the mic off of RVD, and make him sound like a complete stoner, but 5 years later when he's busted for pot, we'll put him in the doghouse for 9 months. God this is getting me pissed with the WWE. I just hope RVD has enough left in him to have one helluva year wherever he goes next.

Agreed completely Shocky.

Truly a legend of wrestling is one Rob Van Dam. I just got done watching a match he had with Balls Mahoney at Anarchy Rulz 99, and holy shit if I wasn't impressed outta my skull as usual when watching old ECW era RVD. He was so god damn crazy and has everything needed to be a great wrestler.

I'd definately agree about people calling RVD a spot-monkey as complete and utter bullshit. The only spots he ever does it something like jump off the top rope into the crowd on someone or perhaps if you want to consider the Van Daminator a spot. People seem to complain about spots being done and it makes no sense whatsoever; aren't spots what make a match exciting? Granted there are hundreds of classic matches with no spots in particuliar, but why complain about being entertained? Doesn't make much sense to me personally.

RVD will always be a great wrestler, no matter what anyone tries to even say. Great choice Shadow

Another great pick, and great timing also, seeing as his legacy may be shit all over soon. It can be argued that Van Dam is the most entertaining superstar off all time, thats really saying something. How many ECW classics has he been in?

Ahhhh, now we're talking Shadow! RVD is one of the greatest (if not the greatest, IMO) wrestlers ever. Before he was tainted by Vince McMahon he was absolutely innovative with just about every move he used in the ring. Every match in ECW is a classic, especially his fued with Jerry Lynn. Phenomenal.

RVD is the perfect choice for this week Shadowmancer, since we will not get to see RVD in a while and the stretcher match was most likely his last match in the WWE, this is a good way to pay respect to the guy. I am not a huge RVD fan but I do like him and I respect what he has done for the wrestling business. He was one of ECW's top stars that defined the word extreme and impressed fans with his unique ability in the ring. Vince should change the name of ECW to something else b/c it is not ECW when there is no RVD.

I absolutely love this thread topic.RDV is amazing and is truly amazing and a legend.He has had amazing matches until Vince Mcmahon did away with him.I am sorry to say that he hasn''t had fueds with people I wish he would have.We never really saw him that bad in the ring.And I must agree with Shocky when he says that if someone calls him a spot monkey they are full of shit.He is a great great amazing choice for this week.

Rob Van Dam had another incredible match against Randy Orton at One Night Stand. If somebody could find a link to the match that would be great !

Very nice choice. Now, I won't pretend that I've been following RVD's career since the beginning and he's my freakin' idol - I haven't and, to be totally honest, there are wrestlers that I respect more and am entertained by more. I do however recognise Rob Van Dam's status as a legend and a true innovator of "wrestling" and sports entertainment. I've looked up several of his, how shall I say, unrestricted moments in ECW and let me just say, wow. This guy helped define ECW and without him, the landscape of wrestling today would look very different.

Heres this weeks one, It is a lesser known Wrestler out there because I have to study and this won't take long.

This Weeks Wresler of the Week is: Delirious
Delirious.JPG

Finishing and signature moves
Cobra Stretch (Bridging cobra clutch)
Chemical Imbalance II (Double pumphandle reverse piledriver)
Shadows Over Hell (Top rope splash to the back of an opponent on hands and knees)
Invitro Fertilization (Yokosuka cutter)
Bizarro Driver (Inside leg hook fisherman driver)
Panic Attack (Running knee to head of an opponent seated in the corner)
Neverending Story (Repeated striking lariats to an opponent in the corner)
Bam! (Leaping lariat)

Central States Wrestling
CSW Cruiserweight Championship (1 time)

Independent Wrestling Association Mid-South
IWA Mid-South Light Heavyweight Championship (2 times)

International Wrestling Cartel
IWC Super Indy Championship (1 time)[11]

NWA Midwest
NWA Midwest X Division Championship (1 time)[12]

NWA Wildside
2004 NWA Wildside Super Indy Champion

Ring of Honor
2006 Survival of the Fittest winner [13]

Other Titles
ICW ICWA TexArcana Television Champion (4 times)

Promos
You can't have a Delirious Thread without Promos.
Delirious Promo from CHIKARA

Delirious Promo for ROH Irresistible Force directed at Steve Corino

Delirious Promo to Brian Danielson

Incohence Promo in CHIKARA

Delirious Promo on Larry Sweeney

Delirious Promo at Pro Wrestling Geurilla's Battle for Los Angeles

Matches

Delirious Vs. Jason Blade, ROH

Delirious & Matt Sydal Vs. Abyss, TNA

Delirious Vs. Dingo

Delirious Vs. CM Punk, IWA-MS

Delirious Vs. Nigel McGuiness, ROH

Delirious Vs. HC Loc Vs. Colt Cabana, IWA

Delirious Vs. "Scrap Iron" Adam Pearce, RoH Fifth Year Festival

Delirious & Jack Evans Vs. Ebetaroh & Samoa Joe, ROH, this is the start and that is the funny part.

As I said before I haad to choose an Easy one this week due to exams coming up.

I have watched a few of the matches that I've put up here, as well as all of the promos. The Brian Danielson Promo is possibly the funniest one that I have posted a link to. As for the matches the last one is so slow that it makes the sped up Mark Henry Vs. Kane match that Echelon had posted look like it was at cruiserweight speed. As for a proper match I would have to recommend the match against Dingo. as well as the Triple Threat match between Delirious, HC Loc and Colt Cabana.

I just watched a couple of the promos, and if people don't watch them, you are missing out on something insane. I'll watch the matches later, but his promos are Warrior-esque to say the least. Interesting find Shadowmancer.

I've always been a fan of Delirious, his promos are bar none, and he has exceptional in ring skills. Plus he trained one of my favorite ladies, Daziee Haze.

I haven't really gotten a chance to post in this thread but I had to once I saw this weeks WOTW. Delirious is prolly one of the most entertaining wrestlers currently on the Ring Of Honor Roster. He's Gimmick is very creative and he has (as said above) exceptional ring work.
As for this thread as a whole, Good work man It's nice to see workers from so many different promotions profiled.

great choice. delirious is so fun to watch on DVD and even more fun to see live. i'd recomment watching a 6 man match with him in ROH. DVD is called Battle of the Icons and puts Delirious with Shingo and Davey Richards vs Austin Aries, Roderick Strong and Jack Evans. It's a really fun match to get into.

and shadows over hell is such a sick move.

BA BA BA BA!

After watching several of these matches and promos, there is only one way to properly describe this man, he is the freaking Tazzmanian Devil. He spins around and speak incoherently, it's great.

His promos are Warrioresque to say the least, but guess what, they are probably more entertaining. As said above, he has exceptional Ring work as well. The crowd really seems to dig him. Good work on this Shadow, I would never have seen this guy if it wasn't for this.

This Weeks Wrestler of the Week is: Owen Hart

Owen_InMemory.jpg

Finishing and signature moves

-Sharpshooter
-Hart Driver (Belly-to-belly piledriver)
-Tombstone piledriver
-Enzuigiri
-Spinning heel kick
-Northern Lights suplex
-Superkick
-Gutwrench suplex
-Missile dropkick
-Diving elbow drop
-Belly to belly suplex
-Bridging German suplex
-Top rope split-legged moonsault
-Lariat takedown
-Diving headbutt
-Camel clutch
-Dragon sleeper

Nicknames
"The Rocket"
"The King of Harts"
"Slammy Award Winner"
"2-Time Slammy Award Winner; 2-Time Intercontinental Champion; and One-Half of the WWF World Tag Team Champions"
"The Black Hart"
"The Lone Hart"
"Nugget" (derisively given to him by Shawn Michaels)
"The Blue Blazer"
"The Game" (Helmsley says this nickname was originally intended for Owen)

Managers
-Jim Cornette
-Clarence Mason
-Debra
-Bret Hart

New Japan Pro Wrestling
IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Rookie of the Year award in 1987
PWI Feud of the Year award in 1994 - vs. Bret Hart
PWI Editor's Award in 1999
PWI ranked him # 66 of the 500 best singles wrestlers during the PWI Years in 2003.
PWI ranked him # 84 of the best tag teams of the PWI Years - with Davey Boy Smith in 2003.

Stampede Wrestling
Stampede British Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
Stampede North American Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
Stampede International Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Ben Bassarab

United States Wrestling Association
USWA Unified World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

World Wrestling Federation
WWF European Championship (1 time)
WWF Intercontinental Championship (2 times)
WWF World Tag Team Championship (4 times) - with Yokozuna (2), British Bulldog (1), and Jeff Jarrett (1)
WWF King of the Ring (1994)

Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Best Flying Wrestler award in 1987
Best Flying Wrestler award in 1988
5 Star Match: vs. Bret Hart (WWF SummerSlam 1994, August 29, 1994: Steel Cage match)
Feud of the Year award in 1997 - with Bret Hart, Jim Neidhart, Davey Boy Smith and Brian Pillman vs. Steve Austin

[youtube]u8hhFfMKx28[/youtube]​

Matches:
Owen Hart Vs. Keichi Yamada (Jushin "Thunder" Liger)

Owen Hart & The Rock & D'Lo Brown Vs. Triple H & Road Dogg & Billy Gunn
Owen Hart & The Rock & D'Lo Brown Vs. Triple H & Road Dogg & Billy Gunn

Owen Hart Vs. 1-2-3 Kid

Owen Hart Vs. Shawn Michaels

Owen Hart Vs. Mark Kyle

Owen Hart Vs. Keiji Mutoh pt.1
Owen Hart Vs. Keiji Mutoh pt.2

Owen Hart Vs. Razor Ramon pt.1
Owen Hart Vs. Razor Ramon pt.2

Owen Hart Vs. Davey Boy Smith pt.1
Owen Hart Vs. Davey Boy Smith pt.2

Owen Hart Vs. Edge pt.1
Owen Hart Vs. Edge pt.2

Owen Hart Vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin pt.1
Owen Hart Vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin pt.2
Owen Hart Vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin pt.3

Owen Hart Vs. Brian Pillman pt.1
Owen Hart Vs. Brian Pillman pt.2

Owen Hart Vs. Triple H

Owen Hart Vs. Rocky Maivia

Owen Hart Vs. Jeff Hardy

Owen Hart Vs. Jushin "Thunder" Liger

Owen Hart Vs. Diesel

Owen Hart Vs. Hiroshi Hase

Owen Hart Vs. Bret Hart

Owen Hart Vs. Bret Hart pt.1
Owen Hart Vs. Bret Hart pt.2

As for anyone asking for the Death Footage, you are a sick Fuck and I will ban you on sight.

Awesome, awesome, awesome, AWESOME choice mate. Owen Hart is probably my favorite wrestler aside from HBK, he was so damn underrated its absolutely criminal. In a just world he would of been a many time WWF champ, but unfortunately he was struck down in his prime.

Bret Hart was an amazing wrestler, but he lacked the mic skills. But Owen...he had it all. Amazing in ring skills(one of the best ever in that department) and absolutely dynamite on the mic as a heel, probably the best heel ever in my book.

I can't express how much I love Owen...and every year I mourn his death. Not only was he a legend of wrestling, but I've yet to hear even one person say anything remotely bad about the man---nothing but praise for him. He's got to be one of the most beloved men in wrestling history backstage, and from what I've read, one of the funniest. But most importantly, he was a man of honor and a man who lived and breathed for his children and wife, for all of his family. You can see how happy he is and how much he loves his kids back in the mid-90s when they came into the ring with him during a celebration (forget what match that was, any help?) with his son waving a little Canadian flag. Breaks my heart to think about it...

An underappreciated legend who will live forever in the hearts of the millions of people he touched. Top notch choice 'Mancer.

R.I.P. OWEN HART FOREVER

Excellent choice Shadow, Owen Hart definitely deserves to be Wrestler of the Week. He was an extremely underrated wrestler and should have been WWE champion at least once when he was with the company IMO, but he was one of those guys that had to work really hard and patiently wait for his time in the sun before he could get his hands on the WWE championship(Ex:Chris Benoit). It is a shame/tragedy that he passed away at the time he did because he was finally scheduled to have a push that could have possibly led to him being champion. I did not see much of Owen because I started watching WWF/E in April 1999, a month before he passed away, but I did watch many of his matches on the internet and he is an extraordinary wrestler that could have been a huge star in the WWE today.

If people aren't happy with Owen Hart as Wrestler of the Week, then they shouldn't be wrestling fans. If Bret Hart was Number 1, then Owen Hart was easily 1-A. I throw the word under rated around a lot, but if it was ever deserved to be put on one guy, here he is.

Owen Hart would have been WWE champion in a just world. Owen Hart would have been a WWE champion if he wasn't in Bret Harts Shadow. I've always thought, but thanks to Michaels fucking this up royally with all of his horseshit politicking in 97, that Owen Should have gotten the belt at Survivor Series. it would have set up a revenge match for Austin at WM 14.

At least he should have been the Dude Love of Unforgiven and Over the Edge. Instead, he gets buried in another faction with the Rock, and stuck in a dead end feud with Ken Shamrock. I'm getting pissed again, because after all that nonsense, he was stuck in the Blazer outfit again, teamed with Jarrett, and then buried because he didn't want to be apart of an affair storyline.

Owen Hart had too much class and the WWE didnt' deserve to have a talent like him. It's a damn shame. I put him and Brian Pillman in the same light. Two guys that were screwed by their look and size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back