• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your top 5 matches EVER

If you want to talk about the beauty of a terrible match, you don't need to look any further than HHH vs. Scott Steiner from Royal Rumble 2003. In my opinion, this is easily the worst match of all time. The crowd wasn't booing either man but booing the match in general. They had absolutely no chemistry together, botching move after move, a god awful ending followed up by Steiner's magenta thong being exposed at the end of this mess. Its great how awful what I refer to as "The Magenta Thong Match" truly was.

I don't think it was the worst I have ever seen but definitley the most disappointing. What made it worse is that I remember still talking to my friends about the Benoit/Angle match that night. I found myself stopping halfway through the match and saying, "Man, this match sucks." I know Triple H was nursing an injury at the time but could they have done a little bit better build up? And if Scott Steiner could do something other than a suplex, that might have helped. I kept thinking "If Scott does one more suplex, Im flying to Boston, finding Triple H's sledgehammer, and hitting Scott. And then Im running like hell before he can get up."

And to think they tried it again and I heard it was worse at No Way Out.

My List Would Be Like This

Number 5
Stone Cold VS Bret Hart-Wrestlemania 13
Awsome Submission Match, The match that put Steve Austin on the Map for sure!!

Number 4
HHH VS HBK-Summerslam 2002
One of the Most Heated Rivelries ever, both guys put everthing into the fued and made this match worth watching and it didn't disapoint

Number 3
Ultimate Warrior VS Hulk Hogan-Wrestlemania 6
Championship VS Championship, winner take all for the first time ever, a decent enough match with a great ending and a big show of respect by the hulkster giving the belt to warrior.

Number 2
Stone Cold VS The Rock-Wrestlemania 15
Not much to say about this one that hasn't already been said. One of the bigest Stunners ever deliverd by the rattlesnake

Number 1
Randy Savage Vs Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat-Wrestlemania 3
Best Acctual Wrestling match of all time bar none, two of the most charasmatic and talented guys of all time put on a match that will never be rilvaled. The only sad thing about it was the fact it was overshadowed by the hype of hulk hogan scoop slamming Andre the Giant!!!

Couple others that were close to making the list would be

Stone Cold vs Shawn Michaels-Wrestlemania 14
Bret Hart Vs Shawn Michaels- Wrestlemania 13
Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar- Wrestlemania ??
Undertaker vs Mankind- Hell in A cell match

Wow...some of these top 5 lists have been pretty bad...Hogan and Cena should never be mentioned in Top "Wrestling" Matches. They aren't good wrestlers. They are strong, fan favorites (or tweeners in Cena's case) who are simply on the show for face value and box office draw.

Now, to my Top 5: (before anyone posts a reply, keep in mind this is a personal Top 5...I started watching wrestling around Wrestlemania 10, stopped around 2003, and picked back up right before the 2008 Royal Rumble)

5) Shawn Micahels vs. Ric Flair (Career Threatening Match, Wrestlemania 24)
I had my doubts about this match when it was made, mainly because I didn't see hwo they could build any heat between two men who truly respect one another....afterall, Flair requested the match. But when the "Old Yeller" promo happened on Raw, and then HBK was silently removed as the person who was inducting Flair into the HOF, I knew this was going to be an emotional classic. When HBK missed the moonsault on the announce table, my party and I hit rewind 4 seperate times to verify that HBK had broken his ribs, cause there was no way he hadn't. HBK's final farewell to Flair before hitting the Sweet Chin Music was timeless. Also, did anyone see it coming that Flair would finally hit the cross-body block from the top rope after missing it in every match for years? I didn't, and I was pleased to see it.

4) Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Vince McMahon (Steel Cage Match, St. Valentine's Day Massacre 1999
I can't believe I haven't seen this match anywhere else. This is such a classic. This was the absolute peak of the Austin-McMahon rivalry. Vinnie had just "won" the Royal Rumble & his 'Mania title shot was on the line. This was a super bloody, excellent cage match. It legitimately went back and forth, and Vince probably "wrestled" his best match against Stone Cold. The fact that the newly signed Paul Wight (formerly The Giant, now the ever-wasted Big Show) busted through the ring and threw Austin THROUGH THE CAGE in aiding his victory was a classic, never before seen finish.

3) Bret "Hitman" Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin (Submission Match, Wrestlemania 13)
People don't always go for the submission match, as it lacks the high flying, super strength, and showy power move aspect of professional wrestling, but this match was so important towards he WWF eventually winning the Monday Night Wars. Bret Hart took the role as face walking in, and left as the heel. Stone Cold Steve Austin became a legitimate Main Event Level talent and the face of a new generation of wrestling. I was at Wrestlemania 13, and as a 15 year old kid, I didn't understand at the time the impact that this match had. Austin passing out from blood loss and never tapping showed everyone what we eventually found out: Austin was as tough an SOB as anyone to ever step between the ropes. Bret Hart was the best technical wrestler of his time (maybe ever...sorry Benoit/Angle lovers) and for Austin to hold his own with an absolute submission machine like Hart and leave the ring with the crowd newly alligned with him was a classic WWF moment.

2) 1995 Royal Rumble Match
Shawn Michaels and the British Bulldog opened at 1 & 2, respectively, and finished as the last men standing. This is by far the best Rumble ever...I know 1992 was for the title itself, but we had never seen this kind of longevity, stamina, and will to win in a Rumble like this. HBK having 1 foot touch the floor is an announcement I will never forget. Bulldog was absolutely awesome in this match. He elminated 4 guys and spent over 38 minutes in the match. But HBK stole the show (as he typically does), eliminating 8 guys, going over 38 minutes, and using pure athleticism to stay alive and win the match from behind (very condusive to the whole Heartbreak Kid personna of the mid-90's)...if only his Wrestlemania 11 match against Diesel wasn't on the worst WM card of all-time.

1) Bret "Hitman" Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (WWF Title Ironman Match, Wrestlemania 12)
Not only the best Wrestlemania match of all-time, but probably the best match of all-time. Shawn Michael's rise to the WWF Title, culminating in this sudden-death overtime win against the man who would end up being remembered as his non-kayfabe greatest rival of all-time, is the greatest story the WWF has ever, and will ever tell. Everyone has seen the match, so I don't need to remind anyone of the details, but if Sudden Death OT had been part of the explained rules in the first place, would Hart have ever let HBK out of the Sharpshooter?

5. Hogan/Warrior WM 6 - I was but a child when this happened. I also happened to be in the demographic this match was marketed to. Let me tell you how well this worked. I bugged my parents for weeks to buy the PPV. I did extra housework. I bathed the dog almost daily for three weeks. I did my homework in full view of a parent at all times. And after all that, I was not disappointed. The match was epic. Hogan hulked up and lost? Warrior lifted Hogan over his head? These things were mind boggling to someone who was resistant to the idea that it was fake.

4. Hart/Smith Summerslam - The build up to this match was epic. The whole Hart family taking sides. Diana stuck in the middle. No one had to be the heel. Everyone was fighting for what was right. Hart defending his sister's, and his family's, honor. Smith fighting for love. The English crowd wasn't that hard on Bret, as it could have been worse. And, when Smith one, I was legit shocked. The IC title was the main event. This was Smith's peak in the WWE, and it set up the main event run of the Hitman, one of the greatest main event runs ever. He came from being on a jobber tag team to being World Champion, multiple times. This was the night that launched his career as "The Man" in WWF.

3. Goldberg/Hogan - The energy in the crowd was amazing. The undefeated streak was on the line. One had to feel that Goldberg's streak was more on the line on Nitro than Hogan's title. I was expecting a DQ win for Goldberg. But to see a sold out Georgia Dome behind their hometown boy and to see Hogan job like that made the night a success. It may not have been technically amazing, the atmosphere and result trumped everything else.

2. Jeff Hardy/Edge/HHH, Armageddon - We all felt that Jeff's main event push was over. Over the course of a year, we had so many moments to assume it finally Jeff's turn, but it never happened. At Armageddon he was treated like a throw in. It was Edge's first defense, and he was going to win. But, wait, why is Hardy on the top rope? What's just happened? Jeff won!!!! The fans got what they wanted. A man who's push came from the crowd reaction just beat Vince's son in law and go to guy and it was the culmination of a year long struggle where a suspension and a house fire fit right in as perfect plot points.

1. Benoit and Jericho vs. Austin and HHH - Raw This tag title match was during the Two Man Power Trip angle. Benoit and Jericho each ahd two matches the night before, and one of them was a brutal win in Tag Team Turmoil at Judgement Day. HHH had lost the IC title the night before, so there was no way that the Chrises were going to win this match. They were short Canadians, and the WWE had them facing their wet dream- A united HHH and Stone Cold. As the match progressed, there was abuzz in the crowd. Finishers led to.....broken covers. The sledgehammer came in to play and HHH didn't immediately win after using it. Things were different. Something big was brewing. You still felt that HHH and Austin were going to win, but something big was going to happen to cause it. Then all of a sudden, it was over, and Jericho and Benoit were the New WWF Tag Team Champions!!!!! I was so excited. The crowd was amazing,a nd the Canadians put on awesome matches as champs, including the first TLC match.

My matches weren't technical phenomenons. They didn't shatter any work rate records. What they did was use great build up, story telling, and execution to keep the crowd on the edge of their seats, and the right people won these matches. Too often a build up will be great, and the pay off sucks. In these cases, rivalries and alliances were tested. Family was torn apart, crowds begged for change, and superstars got rewarded for their work. These matches are what hooked me to wrestling.

I forget wich PPV's they was on but...

Edge vs Mr Perfect. (the one on the dvd.)
This match was the first ever MR Perfect match I had ever seen. Looking back at it now and the fact that Edge was fairly new to the buisness, This was a great match that Got me into loving both wrestlers.

HBK vs Kurt angle (at WM).
This match had so much tension in, Every move countered, Every attempt at finisher, Had me on the edge of my seat. and the ending was Amazing I wasn't expecting anything like that. It would have to be one of the best WM matchs IMO ever.

Undertaker vs HBK (first ever hell in a cell match)
I know it was the first ever, so What Im about to say goes for alot of people, But this was the first one I ever saw Due to getting the HBK dvd as a present. I guess i liked it so much because it was new and entertaing, and Wasnt in no way expecting that finish wehre Kane came out.

HBK's return no holds barred match against HHH.

This match was epic. To see HBK perform like he did after having so much time off was amazing. Who would ever of thought he had even had one week off? He showed people in this match just what he was capable of.

I really can't think of my fifth at the moment I have drew a blank, I shall edit it when I remember.

Quote from Bernack6
2) 1995 Royal Rumble Match
Shawn Michaels and the British Bulldog opened at 1 & 2, respectively, and finished as the last men standing. This is by far the best Rumble ever...I know 1992 was for the title itself, but we had never seen this kind of longevity, stamina, and will to win in a Rumble like this. HBK having 1 foot touch the floor is an announcement I will never forget. Bulldog was absolutely awesome in this match. He elminated 4 guys and spent over 38 minutes in the match. But HBK stole the show (as he typically does), eliminating 8 guys, going over 38 minutes, and using pure athleticism to stay alive and win the match from behind (very condusive to the whole Heartbreak Kid personna of the mid-90's)...if only his Wrestlemania 11 match against Diesel wasn't on the worst WM card of all-time.

THis was not a good Royal Rumble, it was by far the worst of all F'ing time. they had 60 second intervals so the whole thing took about 40 minutes. There were no legitimate contenders in the whole damn thing. Michaels was so obviously going to win it that it wasn't even funny. I will gie some suspense with him and the Bulldog going the whole way but wiht 60 second intervals and Jacob and Eli Blu who really gives a shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back