• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Saunter with Coco and GD w/ special guest MRC

Барбоса;4028985 said:
Only the first season finale to go but I have a few thoughts

Van Alden is a very strange man
A little warm and fuzzy at times for my money.

Margret is a typically conflicted educated Irish Catholic woman
A little too close to home for you?

Jimmy's bisexual fiance seems to be a pointless edition
But there's boobs, man. And nipples. And tits which aren't named Van Alden.

Faceless Richard is an interesting fellow
My favourite character.

A little warm and fuzzy at times for my money.

A guilt-ridden psychopath, who is as brutal if not more so than those he is attempting to put behind bars (That is of course the real point of his character). If it was not for his having "found God" or having had God forced upon him as a child, I have a feeling that he would basically be Al Capone.

A little too close to home for you?

Her character arc is by far the most interesting in the first season - from battered wife to bit on the side to woman scorned to First Lady, all the while being as guilt-ridden, if not more so, than Van Alden.

And boy, did she not like being called out on her hypocrisy by Nucky.

But there's boobs, man. And nipples. And tits which aren't named Van Alden.

If that is all she is there for, then that is even worse than any of the "bewbs" in Game of Thrones for while there was a lot of them seemingly for the sake of it, at least the likes of Ros is used for sexposition.

My favourite character.

He definitely left more than half of his face in France. Both he and Jimmy have almost become "institutionalised" by their experiences in the trenches - they need to keep killing otherwise their lives are without purpose.

Yessir. On the whole, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first. But I found ACOK vastly preferable to AGOT. Might be it deviated just enough from the show to feel fresh.

And yet they've cast Reeds for the third season. Go figure.

It's a shame they took the Walders out of the second season. Would have added a bit of fun to the Winterfell scenes.

I'm surprised GRRM didn't take full advantage of the comedy that could be produced by Dolorous Edd trying to convince people he wouldn't make a proper Lord Commander while Stannis Baratheon grits his teeth.

And yet they've cast Reeds for the third season. Go figure.

They need to add something to Bran's journey north, especially if they go with
the splitting up of Bran and Rickon by Osha. They could not have Bran travelling to the Wall with just Hodor and Summer for company.

It's a shame they took the Walders out of the second season. Would have added a bit of fun to the Winterfell scenes.

Don't think they are all that much of a miss really. However, I do like that in the show they have left it open as to who sacked Winterfell.

I'm surprised GRRM didn't take full advantage of the comedy that could be produced by Dolorous Edd trying to convince people he wouldn't make a proper Lord Commander while Stannis Baratheon grits his teeth.

Not sure that scene lent itself to comedy. I think GRRM was more focused on highlighting that this election marked a real turning point in the future of the Watch with the very real possibility of realm politics interfering - the presence of Stannis and the leanings of Janos Slynt.

I am unsure as to how much I should talk about the events on and beyond the Wall as I am not sure when many of the important events take place. Plenty more happens in AFFC and ADWD.

Also the prominent use of this:

Барбоса;4034521 said:
They need to add something to Bran's journey north, especially if they go with
the splitting up of Bran and Rickon by Osha. They could not have Bran travelling to the Wall with just Hodor and Summer for company.
Too true. As much as I like a well-placed "Hodor," you need some normals.

The kid they got for Jojen Reed is so right for the part that I'll be pleased to see him added to the show.

Don't think they are all that much of a miss really. However, I do like that in the show they have left it open as to who sacked Winterfell.
You don't imagine they'll leave out the Bastard of Bolton, do you? Does he have an important enough role going forward to shoe-horn him into the show?

Not sure that scene lent itself to comedy. I think GRRM was more focused on highlighting that this election marked a real turning point in the future of the Watch with the very real possibility of realm politics interfering - the presence of Stannis and the leanings of Janos Slynt.
I mean it was a new day as soon as Janos showed up, wasn't it? Stannis' lack of patience and his proposal to Jon only hammered that home. Still, I just can't help but crack up at anything Dolorous Edd says. As with a well placed "Hodor," it's some of the best comic relief in the series.

I am unsure as to how much I should talk about the events on and beyond the Wall as I am not sure when many of the important events take place. Plenty more happens in AFFC and ADWD.

Also the prominent use of this:

So help me god, they better put The Bear and the Maiden Fair in there.

Do you really think this book needs twenty episodes? I mean at the pace they tell their story, ten is too few, but twenty might be too many. I could see the third season dragging at some points as a lot of the climactic moments and pay-off comes in the back half of the book.

I mean it's not as though you can end it with the Red Wedding, right? That certainly wouldn't leave a whole lot of content for the fourth season.

Also, speaking of the Red Wedding, did you find it as telegraphed as me? It was an awesome moment, but the reactions I've read online act as though it was a shocking heart-stopper. I thought it was abundantly clear what was happening long before it went down.

Too true. As much as I like a well-placed "Hodor," you need some normals.

The kid they got for Jojen Reed is so right for the part that I'll be pleased to see him added to the show.

He definitely looks like he is not up to much physically

You don't imagine they'll leave out the Bastard of Bolton, do you? Does he have an important enough role going forward to shoe-horn him into the show?

Oh, he will be in it all right. Roose Bolton has already talked about him riding out from the Dreadfort. It was actually a clever piece of non-casting for Season 2 as it leaves the door open for the adding of an aside of "who sacked Winterfell?" even if people do not realise it yet, with the Ironborn being "obvious" in their culpability.

I mean it was a new day as soon as Janos showed up, wasn't it? Stannis' lack of patience and his proposal to Jon only hammered that home. Still, I just can't help but crack up at anything Dolorous Edd says. As with a well placed "Hodor," it's some of the best comic relief in the series.

There was certainly a new Slynt slant on things as soon as Janos arrived. Indeed, it is fear of him managing to become Lord Commander that sparks Samwell's intrigue with Cotter Pyke and Denys Mallister.

I love the occasional moping of Edd. I am hoping that Tormund Giantsbane can take up some of the comedy slack left behind by the lack of the Greatjon

So help me god, they better put The Bear and the Maiden Fair in there.

Do you really think this book needs twenty episodes? I mean at the pace they tell their story, ten is too few, but twenty might be too many. I could see the third season dragging at some points as a lot of the climactic moments and pay-off comes in the back half of the book.

I mean it's not as though you can end it with the Red Wedding, right? That certainly wouldn't leave a whole lot of content for the fourth season.

Also, speaking of the Red Wedding, did you find it as telegraphed as me? It was an awesome moment, but the reactions I've read online act as though it was a shocking heart-stopper. I thought it was abundantly clear what was happening long before it went down.

I think there is plenty to stretch it out to two seasons and as already been proven, the writers have no problem moving things about to make the story flow better - there are scenes from Book Three in Season 2 like the Battle of the Fist of the First Men.

Personally, I think there is plenty for two seasons.

-the travels of Brienne and Jaime to Kings Landing via Harrenhal
-Daenerys in Astapor and the Unsullied
- the introduction of other Greyjoys along with the Tullys, the Tyrells and the Martels
- Stannis' attempts to keep his bid for power together along with the intrigues amongst his ranks that Davos eventually quashes by advising him to go north.
- beyond the Wall, there is the aftermath of the Battle of the Fist of the First Men at Craster's Keep (maybe even the battle itself), Jon Snow's scaling of the Wall with Ygritte, the Battle of Castle Black against Mance Rayder's Wildlings, the arrival of Stannis and the election.
- Cersei's descent into drunkeness and diabolical decision making - the day will come that she will realise that she is no better than Robert Baratheon - a lecherous drunk who is an expert at obtain power but useless at wielding it.
- the lead up to and the executing of the Red Wedding
- Arya's adventures with the Hound
- the wedding of Joffery and Margery and trial of Tyrion, along with the Red Viper vs the Mountain and Tyrion's use of a crossbow...
- the birth of and reign of terror of Lady Stoneheart
- the fall out in the north of Winterfell's sack

I have a sneaking suspicion that Season 3 could end with the death of Joffery whilst the Red Wedding could be held over for the end of Season 4.

The Red Wedding definitely was somewhat telegraphed. As soon as Robb married Jeyne Westerling, he was completely fucked; especially given therepeated mentions by numerous characters about the unscrupulous nature of Old Walder Frey and the nouse of Tywin Lannister.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back