• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sam's Thread of Chattin' w/ Jake & Other Robust Subjects

August:

☆☆☆☆☆ Dunkirk, Grease and Terminator 2: Judgment Day
☆☆☆☆ Atomic Blonde and Logan Lucky
☆☆☆ Girls Trip, Rough Night, The Sense of An Ending, The Hitman's Bodyguard and The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature
☆☆ Valerian And The City of a Lot of Planets, Annabelle: Creation, The Dark Tower and The Emoji Movie

Don't see Grease at an open air cinema and you'll see a lot worse than the Emoji Movie if you see everything this year.

Looks like your kid is old enough to go to the theater now, Jake. That's the only explanation I have for a viewing of the Emoji Movie.

1. Baby Driver ★★★★★
  2. Okja ★★★★★
  3. The Handmaiden: Director's Cut ★★★★
  4. Moonlight ★★★★
  5. Free Fire ★★★★
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ★★★★
  7. Colossal ★★★
  8. Get Out ★★★
  9. My Life As a Courgette ★★★
  10. Split ★★★
  11. The Big Sick ★★★
  12. War for the Planet of the Apes ★★★
  13. The Lego Batman Movie ★★★
  14. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  15. Jackie ★★★
  16. Hidden Figures ★★★
  17. Spider-Man Homecoming ★★★
  18. Dunkirk ★★★
  19. Logan ★★★
  20. Death Note ★★★
  21. Wonder Woman ★★★
  22. Fate of the Furious ★★
  23. Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets ★★
  24. Shin Godzilla ★★
  25. Manchester by the Sea ★★
  26. La La Land ★★
  27. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  28. Mindhorn ★★
  29. Their Finest ★★
  30. Kong: Skull Island ★★
  31. Alien: Covenant ★
  32. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★

Adam Wingard without Simon Barrett is like salt without pepper. Still, it's nice to get some Wingardisms: a synth soundtrack and a great final ten seconds.

I bet Godzilla vs. King Kong's gonna be shit.

You know, I was gonna skip mother! completely, but I feel like I owe Aronofsky a solid after he gave me that batshit Noah film that was a thousand times more enjoyable than it had any right to be.

1. Baby Driver ★★★★★
  2. Okja ★★★★★
  4. Moonlight ★★★★
  5. Free Fire ★★★★
  7. Colossal ★★★
  8. Get Out ★★★
  10. Split ★★★
  11. The Big Sick ★★★
  14. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  15. Jackie ★★★
  16. Hidden Figures ★★★
  18. It ★★★
  19. Dunkirk ★★★
  20. Logan ★★★
  21. Death Note ★★★
  22. Wonder Woman ★★★
  23. Fate of the Furious ★★
  24. Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets ★★
  25. Shin Godzilla ★★
  26. Manchester by the Sea ★★
  27. La La Land ★★
  28. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  29. Mindhorn ★★
  30. Their Finest ★★
  31. Kong: Skull Island ★★
  32. Alien: Covenant ★
  33. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★

Genuinely unsettling in places.

That's a weird take on Noah. I didn't like it so much, but I love Aronofsky otherwise.

mother! was definitely one of his weirder movies. Closer to The Fountain than The Wrestler.

Did you see the movie? Did you see the exploding stone golems? Did you see Ray Winstone eating unicorns? Did you see Russell Crowe trying his best to kill a baby? I mean, I'll never watch it again, but I wasn't bored.

Sam's right. What do you think you're going to get when you .hear Russell Crowe and biblical epic. Not fucking Noah.

I don't remember the unicorn part, actually, or the baby murder. I do remember the stone golems.

What I remember most about that movie is going to see it in the theater and the sound not working and nobody being sure if that was how it was supposed to be for like, two full minutes before I finally got up and found someone to help.

What I remember second most about that movie is being disappointed.

mother! did not disappoint.

It - B

Not unerving or scary. With some editing and removal of curse words, would have been a PG movie when I was a kid.

Still very good.....not what I had in MY head when I came into the theatre....but still very good.

King does two types of stories well: ones about groups of kids and ones about novelists. It is both. Even if every time Beverly appears, he goes to great pains to describe her breasts.

I thought the ratio of effective horror imagery to dodgy CGI was about 1:1. Pennywise's crazy dance could have gone either way but I think it just about dipped into unsettling.

Georgie in the basement was about the only anxious part of the movie. Also "holy shit" factor of the first scene being significantly ramped up from the 90s version I felt was REALLY effective.

King does two types of stories well: ones about groups of kids and ones about novelists. It is both. Even if every time Beverly appears, he goes to great pains to describe her breasts.

I thought the ratio of effective horror imagery to dodgy CGI was about 1:1. Pennywise's crazy dance could have gone either way but I think it just about dipped into unsettling.

That dance was one of my favorite parts of the movie because it was a truly bizarre, unsettling image... but at that point you'd seen so much crazy shit that it really didn't do much for me.

I thought the Bill Skarsgard did a great job with the character, though. Tim Curry's IT was basically just a monster that perfectly emulated a human clown, albeit a murderous one with magic powers. Skarsgard's portrayal was much more unsettling because IT seemed barely capable of passing as human. His speech pattern and random giggles in the scene with Georgie was one of the most unnerving parts of the movie.

I'm just going to openly post It spoilers in here now.

Georgie in the basement was about the only anxious part of the movie. Also "holy shit" factor of the first scene being significantly ramped up from the 90s version I felt was REALLY effective.

At the start or when he was It's meatpuppet? The opening diverged quite interestingly from the book, in which Georgie has his arm ripped off but is left to bleed out in the street. This added to Bill's arc, i.e. his journey became about accepting Georgie's death, but also basically removed one of the more interesting aspects of the book, that the town is semi-consciously complicit in the killings.

For me, the most unsettling moment of the film was when Mike's getting beat up and happens to glance over at Pennywise waving a disembodied human arm at him. The way it was slipped in so casually. What sets It apart from other horror is just how constant the horror is; the monster basically sets out to methodically drive children mad with fear.

1. Baby Driver ★★★★★
  2. Okja ★★★★★
  4. Moonlight ★★★★
  5. Free Fire ★★★★
  7. Colossal ★★★
  8. Get Out ★★★
  10. Split ★★★
  11. The Big Sick ★★★
  14. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  15. Jackie ★★★
  16. Hidden Figures ★★★
  18. It ★★★
  19. Dunkirk ★★★
  20. Logan ★★★
  21. Death Note ★★★
  22. Wonder Woman ★★★
  23. Fate of the Furious ★★
  24. Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets ★★
  25. Shin Godzilla ★★
  26. Manchester by the Sea ★★
  27. La La Land ★★
  28. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  29. Mindhorn ★★
  30. Their Finest ★★
  31. Kong: Skull Island ★★
  32. Alien: Covenant ★
  33. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★
  34. Kingsman: The Golden Circle ★

Boring, pointless, repulsive.

Also I thought the complicity was still conveyed when the old lady saw Georgie there one minute and a pool of blood the next and just went back into her house :lmao:

Did you like the first one?

No - I was so-so on it, and was hoping this would shore up the flaws of the first but instead it doubled down on them. Action is even more CGI heavy and weightless, female characters are treated even worse, and the script is an absolute mess. Like, somebody tell me why the fuck Channing Tatum's character is even in the movie, or why the president is a caricature of George W. Bush. Did they write it in 2004? It feels like a movie that would have come out alongside xXx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back