Sam's Thread of Chattin' w/ Jake & Other Robust Subjects

I've got to fill out an ESTA at some point, man, and Donny's gonna wanna make sure I've not been mugging him off.

Speaking of which, I've been in Edinburgh, his native country, for the Fringe. My brother teaches at a private school so I've been watching a lot of soulless nighteen-year-olds pretend to be human onstage. I'm unconvinced but the city is beautiful and Police Cops is definitely worth seeing when they inevitably stop off in Stoke and/or Delaware.

Is it Lost In Space with Friends star Matt LeBlanc?

Yes, but he is no Alan Rickman.

Galaxy Quest>Lost in Space because of just that reason.

Plus it has Sam Rockwell. Another gem with the Rickman/Rockwall pairing? Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Also better than Lost in Space.

It's True. It's Damn True.

2559-gold_medals-kurt_angle-microphone-pointing-smackdown-wig-wwe.png

I don't know what the consensus is on that Hitchhikers adaptation but I'm going to be committal and say it has good bits.

Idc what the consensus is, its a good watch. The Academy Awards gives statues to crap movies over deserving ones. Thats why your ratings hold more weight with me.

Sam what do you do for a living? What's a movie that looks shit and is coming out that you really want to be good?

I decided to log in today while on a sick day from work to connect to someone or something. We're connecting.

I'm an archivist but what I spend most of my time doing is wishing people didn't ask me what I did for a living because it's both menial and boring.

As for a movie that looks shit but I'd like to be good... erm, Justice League? Actually, you can probably file that under "Looks alright but will probably be shit." Perhaps I'm in the minority but I don't think Blade Runner 2049 looks to be all that, and I like Denis Villeneuve but I don't worship at his shrine, so it'd be nice for an unnecessary sequel to be good for once.

I hope you enjoyed your sick day. I spend mine watching old wrestling.

I think Blade Runner 2049 looks like a bum film too. I think they're relying too heavily on the idea that people will either know exactly what was going on in the original Blade Runner and have done all their homework, or that people will be able to catch up quickly enough to enjoy the current film and not get stuck trying to figure out what the backstory is.

I could be totally wrong here as I'm only making this assumption off of the trailers. It certainly looks like it will be very interesting visually, but ultimately I think we'll wind up with a really great movie for major Blade Runner fans and a weird, trippy movie for everyone else.

I'm an archivist but what I spend most of my time doing is wishing people didn't ask me what I did for a living because it's both menial and boring.

That's a shame. What did you study in college/did you study something in college? I work in glorified customer support for an ecommerce group. Work is meh and people are racist/rude/dicks in general but the pay is quite incredible so I shouldn't really complain.

As for a movie that looks shit but I'd like to be good... erm, Justice League? Actually, you can probably file that under "Looks alright but will probably be shit." Perhaps I'm in the minority but I don't think Blade Runner 2049 looks to be all that, and I like Denis Villeneuve but I don't worship at his shrine, so it'd be nice for an unnecessary sequel to be good for once.

I'm quite fond of Villeneuve, does he have much of a shrine? In terms of online film discussion, I find that many people use the word "Best thing ever made holy shit reinvented the wheel" and "Nolan" interchangeably. Really sours me on him sometimes. Usually until his movies are coming out. Also Interstellar was shit. As for Justice League? Meh. Love DC to bits but I've been burned too many times. Although the latest trailer had that Flash line which makes me believe that Zack Snyder had comedy explained to him at some point. That being said, he has no idea how to direct funny scenes so moot point i guess.

I hope you enjoyed your sick day. I spend mine watching old wrestling.

I spent it watching the finals of the G1.

I think Blade Runner 2049 looks like a bum film too. I think they're relying too heavily on the idea that people will either know exactly what was going on in the original Blade Runner and have done all their homework, or that people will be able to catch up quickly enough to enjoy the current film and not get stuck trying to figure out what the backstory is.

I really hope that Villeneuve has put some meaning behind it and perhaps used a school of philosophy as the guide like how Scott followed Dick's inspiration from Descartes. Villeneuve has some pretty good range with Arrival, Sicario, Prisoners and Enemy being such distinct films and in their respective times, my top 5 of the year(s). The fact that he churns them out year on year is amazing but somethings gonna suffer and I wouldn't really mind if it were Blade Runner, just find a way to do Dune right.

I could be totally wrong here as I'm only making this assumption off of the trailers. It certainly looks like it will be very interesting visually, but ultimately I think we'll wind up with a really great movie for major Blade Runner fans and a weird, trippy movie for everyone else.

That's the fucking dream man.

Justice Leauge will be saved by Whedon. Expect there to be more of those Flash scenes/dialogue. Maybe 10% less "Hey look how cool Aquaman is now!" moments.

Bad reason to have to call for help, but hopefully it makes for a more well rounded film. Apparently first looks were abysmal. If this isnt good, then im permanently going back to the "DC for TV only camp" & give the MCU its unopposed seat on the throne.

That's a shame. What did you study in college/did you study something in college?

Politics. I... wouldn't recommend it.

Bad reason to have to call for help, but hopefully it makes for a more well rounded film. Apparently first looks were abysmal. If this isnt good, then im permanently going back to the "DC for TV only camp" & give the MCU its unopposed seat on the throne.

DC have had how many shots at making a decent movie now? I know people think Wonder Woman was really good for some reason. Mind you, I still like Man of Steel.

1. Baby Driver ★★★★★
  2. Okja ★★★★★
  3. The Handmaiden: Director's Cut ★★★★
  4. Moonlight ★★★★
  5. Free Fire ★★★★
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ★★★★
  7. Colossal ★★★
  8. Get Out ★★★
  9. My Life As a Courgette ★★★
  10. Split ★★★
  11. The Big Sick ★★★
  12. War for the Planet of the Apes ★★★
  13. The Lego Batman Movie ★★★
  14. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  15. Jackie ★★★
  16. Hidden Figures ★★★
  17. Spider-Man Homecoming ★★★
  18. Dunkirk ★★★
  19. Logan ★★★
  20. Wonder Woman ★★★
  21. Fate of the Furious ★★
  22. Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets ★★
  23. Shin Godzilla ★★
  24. Manchester by the Sea ★★
  25. La La Land ★★
  26. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  27. Mindhorn ★★
  28. Their Finest ★★
  29. Kong: Skull Island ★★
  30. Alien: Covenant ★
  31. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★

It's not so much a film about Godzilla as it is a film about bureaucracy, which I think might be true of all Godzilla films ever. Despite it being surprisingly funny, I'm reminded of an old Hebrew saying: there are no good Godzilla films.

G5DzZ4J.gif

Politics. I... wouldn't recommend it.

Studied business and law myself. Probably would have stuck with the business side if I hadn't known how ridiculously nepotistic that law is. Oh well, Criminal law was dark and interesting and international law rekindled my love of history/

DC have had how many shots at making a decent movie now? I know people think Wonder Woman was really good for some reason. Mind you, I still like Man of Steel.

Michael Shannon's zod is the most fully developed villain that any cinematic universe has had the chance to show. Outside of Chris Eccleston in Thor 2 and Corey Stoll in antman of course.

1. Baby Driver ★★★★★
  2. Okja ★★★★★

Oooooooh another person who didn't think Jake Gyllenhaal was a shit. Loved that movie. Old grandpa is my man.

Justice Leauge will be saved by Whedon. Expect there to be more of those Flash scenes/dialogue. Maybe 10% less "Hey look how cool Aquaman is now!" moments.

Where did the "Joss Whedon is a good filmaker" meme come from? Because I had a hell of a lot of issues with a hell of a lot of his movies. Mostly because he doesn't seem to know how to make a film as opposed to making a TV show. And he's just okay at tv. I don't think the film is safe at all. Snyder can direct one hell of an action sequence but doesn't know that Ayn Rand inspired tales =/= good story while Joss Whedon doesn't know cinematic style at all. Movie will be a mess and it's more so gonna be the clash of two directors with two distinct styles and two distinct weaknesses. Hell even if the movie is good, Snyder will get all the credit.

This is me showing that I don't actually think Snyder is bad, just too Bayhem.

Stopped by here to see if you'd seen Logan Lucky yet. I only heard about it for the first time a few days ago which I found fairly surprising given it has a great cast and an A-list director attached to it. I'll be seeing it shortly, though I'm strategically planning to be late to the movie since this theater showed no fewer than 7 previews before the last movie I saw there.

Where did the "Joss Whedon is a good filmaker" meme come from? Because I had a hell of a lot of issues with a hell of a lot of his movies. Mostly because he doesn't seem to know how to make a film as opposed to making a TV show. And he's just okay at tv. I don't think the film is safe at all. Snyder can direct one hell of an action sequence but doesn't know that Ayn Rand inspired tales =/= good story while Joss Whedon doesn't know cinematic style at all. Movie will be a mess and it's more so gonna be the clash of two directors with two distinct styles and two distinct weaknesses. Hell even if the movie is good, Snyder will get all the credit.

This is me showing that I don't actually think Snyder is bad, just too Bayhem.

Buffy, Angel, Firefly were all great.

He may have his faults in film, but for a movie deemed so far to be dark & meh, a bit of levity courtesy of Whedon should help more than hurt.

Buffy, Angel, Firefly were all great.

He may have his faults in film, but for a movie deemed so far to be dark & meh, a bit of levity courtesy of Whedon should help more than hurt.

Or it could deeply contrast against what Snyder filmed and make the film more messy with two directors with incredibly different styles.

I'm tired of how aggressively competent Soderbergh is at every genre, and I'm pretty sure Logan Lucky doesn't have Kevin Nash and impressive dance choreography.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back