• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sam's Thread of Chattin' w/ Jake & Other Robust Subjects

1. The Handmaiden ★★★★
  2. Moonlight ★★★★
  3. Free Fire ★★★★
  4. Get Out ★★★
  5. The Lego Batman Movie ★★★
  6. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  7. Jackie ★★★
  8. Hidden Figures ★★★
  9. Logan ★★★
  10. Fate of the Furious ★★
  11. Manchester by the Sea ★★
  12. La La Land ★★
  13. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  14. Their Finest ★★
  15. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★

Too young to find Toni Erdmann funny, too old to enjoy all the bits of Fate of the Furious without Jason Statham in.

"You were gonna shoot a baby?" It was Spy all over again. Bring on the spin-off.

1. The Handmaiden ★★★★
  2. Moonlight ★★★★
  3. Free Fire ★★★★
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ★★★★
  5. Get Out ★★★
  6. The Lego Batman Movie ★★★
  7. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  8. Jackie ★★★
  9. Hidden Figures ★★★
  10. Logan ★★★
  11. Fate of the Furious ★★
  12. Manchester by the Sea ★★
  13. La La Land ★★
  14. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  15. Their Finest ★★
  16. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★

I liked how it felt like an extended Star Trek serial. More so than any of the recent Star Trek movies. Batista continues to steal the show.

I didn't like it but I saw a midnight showing, so I'm not sure how invested in was. The second half seemed to go on for an eternity.

I've spent the past week at Derby film festival. Seen some right shit.

☆☆☆☆☆ The Matrix, The Truman Show, Jurassic Park, Lifeboat, The Phantom of the Opera and Ace in the Hole
☆☆☆☆ Dark Star and Their Finest
☆☆☆ Mindhorn, The Belko Experiment and Terror
☆☆ Tomorrow, Soulsmith, The Promise, Lowriders, Lilith's Awakening and GOTG: Vol. 2
☆ Rules Don't Apply

Saw The Phantom of the Opera in a cathedral with some dude playing the organ, so that was cool.

Might take a week off. Wait, A Dog's Purpose is out? OK then.

I'll go see Mindhorn to interrupt the monotony of everyday life, though it'll probably just reinforce the monotony of everyday life.

1. The Handmaiden ★★★★
  2. Moonlight ★★★★
  3. Free Fire ★★★★
  5. Get Out ★★★
  7. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  8. Jackie ★★★
  9. Hidden Figures ★★★
  10. Logan ★★★
  13. La La Land ★★
  14. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  15. Mindhorn ★★
  16. Their Finest ★★
  17. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★

Bonus point for having possibly the single darkest joke I've ever seen in a movie (i.e. a mentally handicapped man has his entire worldview shattered at the moment of his death).

Yeah, I've long forgotten that film. That doesn't ring a bell at all.

When will you get round to Alien? I'm under the impression you work so I must warn you, it's not worth using a day off on it.

I also like Guardians Vol. 2, Sam, though I didn't feel like it did much to differentiate itself from the other superhero blockbusters aside from being cuter and more visually pleasing.

Curious to get a review of the Lost City of Z. I went in with no knowledge of the film or subject matter and was underwhelmed, but I didn't think it was a bad movie either. Just not what I was hoping for from a journey to the Amazon.

I couldn't tell if Charlie Hunam is still a bad actor or if his character was just bland as fuck.

I lost interest in The Lost City of Z when I learned it wasn't a swashbuckling adventure but a dry biopic. Not for me, Clive.

Charlie Hunnan is unbearable but his woeful London accent in Green Street is a laugh. How he sounds like an American trying to do nineteenth century Cockney, despite being English... it's layered.

1. The Handmaiden ★★★★
  2. Moonlight ★★★★
  3. Free Fire ★★★★
  5. Get Out ★★★
  7. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  8. Jackie ★★★
  9. Hidden Figures ★★★
  10. Logan ★★★
  13. La La Land ★★
  14. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  15. Mindhorn ★★
  16. Their Finest ★★
  17. Alien: Covenant ★
  18. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★

Fool me once, shame on you.

Wow. I was expecting something along the likes of 3, but no higher. 1? Did someone sneeze in your popcorn before the trailers or something? You cannot just leave the people with no explanation Sam.

I must know why.

The writing was on the wall when the buzz around this one was "Don't worry, we fixed what you didn't like about Prometheus - we've made it more scary." Thesises have been written about Prometheus's problems and "It wasn't scary enough" was always way down the list - if it featured at all. It wasn't scary but nobody particularly cared that it wasn't scary. People cared that it was horrendously written, which manifested itself in about a hundred different forms: characters that were too dumb to live, a story that made no sense, bizarre pacing. Surely enough, Covenant compounds literally every problem Prometheus had - including contradicting Prometheus's confusing alien origin story with a new, just as confusing alien origin story - but doesn't even have anything like Prometheus's abortion scene. Prometheus is pretty much unbearable but that one scene is top tier body horror.

Oh, and Covenant's not scary. So even the one component that was supposed to have been "fixed"... just no. One scene has mild tension and that's about as good as it gets.

Ridley Scott is as competent a director as he ever was (if there's such a thing as a polished turd, this film is it) but he was only ever as good as his script. And he's had some fucking shit scripts.

Every night when I do the young man's feeding at about midnight, I put on a movie. Finish it post-feeding if it fancies my attention.

King Arthur(2004) - **

Man this gets worse every time I watch it. Still, a forebearer of sorts.

BvS ultimate addition - ***

Way too busy. Way too cutesy for casual fans. Lots of Shit that doesnt make a whole lot of sense(everyone turns against supes after like...one thing. That wasnt even his fault. ) Fucking mess in the third act.

Gods Of Egypt - //

The documentaries on Stalingrad and Verdun were easier to get through

Shock in Hollywood as a $9 trillion investment in a new King Arthur film starring Charlie Hunnan fails to pay dividends.

How goes the child?

Also, if anybody was wondering why Alien: Covenant was doing surprisingly OK in reviews, I refer you to The Critic:

"It's your job to rate films from "Good" to "Great.""
"What if I don't like them?"
"That's what "Good" is for."

Wait, so they made another origin storyline & managed to not even fix the main "problem"?

That is fantastic. Well, in a very sad and confusing way. I really want to know why they thought it was necessary to redo the origin.

I watched The Infiltrator and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them on the Costa Rica -> Atlanta leg of my journey today. I thought that The Infiltrator, while flawed, was a very entertaining movie. I will pretty much watch Bryan Cranston do anything at this point (like, except for Why Him?) and he was a lot of fun to watch in that movie.

I thought Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was a sack of shit and it gave me a headache because like, I couldn't believe that any respectable Potter fan would like this piece of shit, but I know a lot of people that are way more into Harry Potter than I am that LOVED the movie, so what the fuck do I know? Am I really that much of a grouch? I like to like things, the fact that I gave this movie a shot at all proves that I wanted to like it because it seemed so appalling on paper, but I just hated it.

I guess it just proves how fucking punk rock I am, bro.

(Edit to add a personal note: On a personal note, I was in Costa Rica for a vacation this past week and it was an excellent time, I would highly recommend it if you are willing to drop a moderate amount of cash for an AMAZING experience.)

I watched The Infiltrator and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them on the Costa Rica -> Atlanta leg of my journey today. I thought that The Infiltrator, while flawed, was a very entertaining movie. I will pretty much watch Bryan Cranston do anything at this point (like, except for Why Him?) and he was a lot of fun to watch in that movie.

I thought Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was a sack of shit and it gave me a headache because like, I couldn't believe that any respectable Potter fan would like this piece of shit, but I know a lot of people that are way more into Harry Potter than I am that LOVED the movie, so what the fuck do I know? Am I really that much of a grouch? I like to like things, the fact that I gave this movie a shot at all proves that I wanted to like it because it seemed so appalling on paper, but I just hated it.

I guess it just proves how fucking punk rock I am, bro.

(Edit to add a personal note: On a personal note, I was in Costa Rica for a vacation this past week and it was an excellent time, I would highly recommend it if you are willing to drop a moderate amount of cash for an AMAZING experience.)

Becca and I are big fans (her FAR moreso) and we both liked it. It's no classic by any means and it has issues but for what it was, it was pretty good.

Becca and I are big fans (her FAR moreso) and we both liked it. It's no classic by any means and it has issues but for what it was, it was pretty good.

I get that. But what does that say about ME?

Check out my new site: millennialfilmreviews.com

(Don't infract me for advertising if that's a real site. I was just making a joke.)

It's difficult to describe myself as a Harry Potter fan in so much as I like Harry Potter but there are so many people who are so obsessed with it than I'm comfortably at the very low end of the spectrum. I was five when the first book came out so it was always going to be part of my makeup. It's also difficult for me to put my finger on just what I liked about Fantastic Beasts so far out from having seen it - aside from saying:

• More films should use their special effects fuckery to inspire wonder and whimsy (this is also why I like Tomorrowland more than most).
  • More films should take existing fiction and put it in a drastically different time period (compare and contrast with The Force Awakens).
  • Fewer films should have Johnny Depp in them for no distinguishable reason.

Re: Costa Rica:

Maybe.

I was thinking of going to Philly for the Rumble. I am supposed to be saving money for a "house" (i.e. London slang for a preposterously expensive one bedroom flat) so I might just have to see how feasible it is for me to leave the country for four days without anyone noticing.

Myself and J-Glass are working on a free room and heavily reduced event tickets package for your consideration.

You know we uh, like, live there right ?

I didn't even realize that was Johnny Depp. That "twist" was actually one of my least favorite parts of the movie. It reminded me of when Harley Quinn tells Diablo (or whoever) that he's gotta, "own that shit," in regards to accidentally killing his family, like the man she's deified isn't a horrific murderer. Hated both scenes for totally different reasons, but they were both the points at the movie that I would have whispered, "Oh fuck this shit," to my neighbor in the theater.

I could definitely house you for a 4 day trip to Philly. I think between NorCal, Theo, and myself we could give you an excellent Philly experience for relatively cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back