• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sam's Thread of Chattin' w/ Jake & Other Robust Subjects

This one was better than DOFP, but probably not X-2.

One of my friends, whom I did not see Logan with, is a big fan of Old Man Logan (which he borrowed from me after I bought it on your recommendation), and really got it in his head that this movie was going to be a straight up adaptation of the book. He is going to be very disappointed.

Moonlight robbed La La Land.

Logan us good but it's about 20 minutes too long. A Cure For Wellness is over two hours too long.

1. Moonlight ★★★★
  2. The Lego Batman Movie ★★★
  3. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  4. Jackie ★★★
  5. Hidden Figures ★★★
  6. Logan ★★★
  7. Manchester by the Sea ★★
  8. La La Land ★★
  9. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  10. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★

Manchester by the Sea was so morbid that it became funny after a point. I'd have sooner watched an entire movie of Casey Affleck just being a grumpy janitor - but I guess he's got a whole lot of staring into the distance to do to win that Oscar.

Logan shared more DNA with the previous Wolverine films than I cared for. There are only so many shady security/bioweapons/whatever companies that a man can take.

Skull Island is bad. Suicide Squad bad. Two star bad.

Just got back to it, and had the exact same thought. It shared one of my least favorite qualities with Suicide Squad, the massive overuse of popular music. Except Kong might have been worse, because the sound department thought it would be cool to make the music go from non-diagetic to diagetic almost every time they used it.

Very disappointing movie. It could have been much better if they tried to do so much less.

Logan shared more DNA with the previous Wolverine films than I cared for. There are only so many shady security/bioweapons/whatever companies that a man can take.

Cliches aside though, it's not a half bad film.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. It was weighed down by plot contrivances (what, the nurse had Final Cut Pro installed on her phone, did she?) and incessant hacking and slashing but Charles and Logan's (and Laura's) relationship was generally quite affecting. A wonderful final shot, too.

Logan is one of those films that I shrugged off initially but the more I think back in realise how much it has going for it. Like Nymphomaniac Vol. 2

Get Out absolutely lives up to the hype. Was an extraordinarily well made movie, thoroughly entertaining and provocative all the same.

Finally got around to watching Everybody Wants some. I thought it was a pretty great movie. What was the consensus around here?

My only two critiques on the movie was that the sound mixing, while interesting, made it hard to understand the dialogue at times. Second, I thought it was kind of gutsy and maybe misguided to make a film that will certainly appeal to the more discerning movie goer that displays almost no meaningful female representation beyond a romantic interest that is completely absent for well over half the film. I don't necessarily think that that's a bad thing, as I think Linklater was trying to really avoid showing the story from the viewpoint of anyone except the main character, but it leaves the door open to some criticism.

Toni Erdmann ☆☆☆☆
Jackie and Get Out ☆☆☆

Jackie is a better horror film than Get Out by some distance. Both have unsatisfying pay offs.

I'm told that Get Out is a truly powerful experience if you watch it in the rambunctious atmosphere of Peckhamplex, but my girlfriend's new flat is in Streatham. #LondonProblems

My only two critiques on the movie was that the sound mixing, while interesting, made it hard to understand the dialogue at times. Second, I thought it was kind of gutsy and maybe misguided to make a film that will certainly appeal to the more discerning movie goer that displays almost no meaningful female representation beyond a romantic interest that is completely absent for well over half the film. I don't necessarily think that that's a bad thing, as I think Linklater was trying to really avoid showing the story from the viewpoint of anyone except the main character, but it leaves the door open to some criticism.

There are lots of films that one can criticise for sidelining female characters or for using them as furniture or whatnot. At the risk of looking like an excuse-making, #notallmen sort of guy, I'd say a film that's a pretty overt examination of masculinity - and the very particular brand of college athlete, hyper-competitive masculinity at that - isn't one of them.

Saw Rogue One recently. Was pretty good. Ultimately better than Episode 7.

All Star Wars properties are nostalgia projects at this point, which is to be expected. They're really just fortunate that I'm obsessed with being part of the zeitgeist.

1. Moonlight ★★★★
  2. Get Out ★★★
  3. The Lego Batman Movie ★★★
  4. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  5. Jackie ★★★
  6. Hidden Figures ★★★
  7. Logan ★★★
  8. Manchester by the Sea ★★
    [*]La La Land ★★
    [*]T2 Trainspotting ★★
    [*]John Wick: Chapter 2 ★

Good fun but not quite the revelation I was expecting.

☆☆☆ Prevenge
☆☆ Life and Beauty & The Beast
☆ The Lost City of Z

Taxi Driver on Tuesday. That'll wash away the stink of this week's cinema trips.

1. Moonlight ★★★★
  2. Free Fire ★★★★
  3. Get Out ★★★
  4. The Lego Batman Movie ★★★
  5. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  6. Jackie ★★★
  7. Hidden Figures ★★★
  8. Logan ★★★
  9. Manchester by the Sea ★★
  10. La La Land ★★
  11. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  12. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★

As close as cinema will ever get to the Royal Rumble. Armie Hammer is so aggresively likeable that I'm slightly regretting buying The Apartment instead of The Lone Ranger in Amazon's 2 for £10 deal.

☆☆☆☆☆ Taxi Driver
☆☆☆ Denial, Power Rangers and Free Fire
☆☆ It's Only The End of The World, CHiPS, Ghost in The Shell and The Smurfs

I'm a Lone Ranger fan. I'm THE Lone Ranger fan.

Speaking of Rangers, Power Rangers is the most fun I've had at the cinema since I saw Taxi Driver a week ago.

Armie Hammer gets left by the wayside and Sam Worthington gets-- well, I think Sam Worthington might be dead but he still gets to be in Avatar 2 in ten years. Life's just not fair.

1. Moonlight ★★★★
  2. Free Fire ★★★★
  3. Get Out ★★★
  4. The Lego Batman Movie ★★★
  5. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  6. Jackie ★★★
  7. Hidden Figures ★★★
  8. Logan ★★★
  9. Manchester by the Sea ★★
  10. La La Land ★★
  11. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  12. Their Finest ★★
  13. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★

The second star is for the free ticket; the first is that any old second world war shit will induce tears.

☆☆☆☆☆ Batman (1989)
☆☆☆☆ F&F8, Elle and Raw
☆☆☆ Going In Style
☆☆ The Boss Baby
☆ Table 19 and Unforgettable

Batman is still boring. Don't care. Still love it.

If you thought Toni Erdmann was funny, Elle top trumps it for belly laughs. And rape scenes.

1. The Handmaiden ★★★★
  2. Moonlight ★★★★
  3. Free Fire ★★★★
  4. Get Out ★★★
  5. The Lego Batman Movie ★★★
  6. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  7. Jackie ★★★
  8. Hidden Figures ★★★
  9. Logan ★★★
  10. Manchester by the Sea ★★
  11. La La Land ★★
  12. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  13. Their Finest ★★
  14. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★

XZBLK99.gif

Mate. That one took some turns.

If you thought Toni Erdmann was funny

Ehh.

Elle and Raw are top of my list of things to see but, let's be frank, F8 of the Furious is my priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back