• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sam's Thread of Chattin' w/ Jake & Other Robust Subjects

To be honest I started watching JFK last week and I'm only half way through so I'm never getting round to Sing Street.

La La Land ★★

Film: Hollywood is so great.
Hollywood (licking the end of a pencil): How many awards can I put you down for?

Jackie ★★★

Oh, to have a president who you'd be sad to see shot in the head.

I liked it. I liked how it was a snapshot rather than a monotonous, dreary record of her entire life. That's how you do a biopic.

18-30 year old male as I am, I probably would have enjoyed Split more, but you know what they say - five times bitten, six times shy. Not this time, M Night.

I finally got around to seeing Green Room last weekend. Kind of feel like I'm in another End of Watch situation, because while I did like the movie, I don't see why you guys thought it was such hot shit.

I guess I'm just a sucker for siege movies, and movies in which nazis die gruesomely, and movies in which Patrick Stewart plays an erudite villain. Plus it was one of the better movies in a relatively weak year.

Enjoyed it but the more I think about it the more I question why people thought it was so great. I need to rewatch it but that won't happen so I ammend my star rating from 4 to 3.

A very clever sci-fi, though it's unclear exactly why people thought it was so monumental.

Will I ever watch Manchester by the Sea? Probably not, no. I'm becoming more and more tired of Oscar bait season.

I know I've - deservedly - got a reputation as a Fast & Furious fan, and I'll tell you to your face that Fast Five is an action masterpiece, but even I'm not desperate enough to watch that shit. The next film I'm desperate enough to see is probably... Trainspotting 2? It's that or Sing. I think Sing'll be shit but I heard the director on the Empire podcast and he seems bloody lovely.

I liked John Hurt. I'll miss him. He did an accent in Jackie. A man of that age, giving a shit enough to do an accent. Commitment.

2017, the year I started the male menopause and openly weeped to, and awarded five stars to: Manchester By The Sea, Lion, La La Land, Lion and Trainspotting 2

Also three stars for XXX 3 and Split and two for that Affleck gangster thing and Assassin's Creed.

You probably have bigger priorities than going to see Matthew McWotsit in Gold, but for me that'll be the highlight of my Thursday.

I'm convinced that T2 will be viewed almost fondly as the original in 15 years time. Y'know, when youngsters reach my age and then they're like "fuuuck"

Toni Erdmann ★★★

I'm not saying Germans don't understand comedy, I'm just saying they have a very different understanding of it to me. Yes, I suppose three hours of unbearable emotional turmoil is a rather good joke. Three stars doesn't really tell the story; it really deserves either one or five but I can't bring myself to give it either.

1. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  2. Jackie ★★★
  3. La La Land ★★
  4. T2 Trainspotting ★★

Oof. Well, that wasn't particularly good.

If they released the original Trainspotting today, I'd be the same age as the characters. As it is, I'm twenty years younger.

I guess we'll just have to wait for Scott Pilgrim vs. The World 2 in fifteen years. Middle aged Michael Cera - there's a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back