Sam's Thread of Chattin' w/ Jake & Other Robust Subjects

1. The Lego Batman Movie ★★★
  2. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  3. Jackie ★★★
  4. La La Land ★★
  5. T2 Trainspotting ★★

Nothing's really making a good case to be in the end of year top ten. Maybe I'll rue not seeing Silence or that other one Andrew Garfield was in.

Lego Batman's first half or so is about on par with The Lego Movie, i.e. very good, then peters out quite severely. It suffers quite badly from Captain Jack syndrome - putting a side character who worked quite well precisely because they were a side character front and centre. It actually gets quite annoying at times.

Moonlight and John Wick 2 next. I wasn't the biggest fan of John Wick the first. I feel compelled to watch Fences and Hidden Figures but it feels like they put every black-lead movie out in the same week to discourage me. British people don't even know when black history month is! We draw offensive political cartoons and pretend to know who Frederick Douglass "is" all year round.

I was outraged that Fences and Moonlight weren't on in my area but we have UKIP posters all over our town centre, so....

Hacksaw Ridge is a comedy horror masterpiece.

So funny story.

I was involved in a program buying Christmas presents for poor kids. One child seemed especially interested in Star Wars merch, so as an extra, I got him and his family a gift card to go see

Rogue One

Hadn't seen it yet. Didn't know everyone dies at the end.

Merry Christmas.

I was outraged that Fences and Moonlight weren't on in my area but we have UKIP posters all over our town centre, so....

The current plan is to triple bill them but, if it comes down to it, Moonlight seems like the one to see. Not if Jonny Kipper hasn't anything to say about it of course.

Hadn't seen it yet. Didn't know everyone dies at the end.

Merry Christmas.

I think everyone has a rollicking good time before their fiery demise though. There's a lesson to be learned there.

2. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  3. Jackie ★★★
  4. La La Land ★★
  5. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  6. John Wick Chapter 2 ★

A piece of utter dogshit that might have earned an extra star if I weren't so put out by having paid upwards of thirteen pounds to see it on a Sunday afternoon.

2. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  3. Jackie ★★★
  4. Hidden Figures ★★★
  5. La La Land ★★
  6. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  7. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★

Yes, it's lightweight. Yes, it's cliched. Yes, you can basically pick out the scenes where they thought, "And they can show this clip at awards ceremonies." I still wanted to give it a big ol' hug.

It is.

Im not against murder in the proper circumstances. To the surprise of no one.

Much like sex with prostitutes, its only weird the first time.

Damn. Another one.

oQuZmkY.jpg

Emma Stone in La La Land - the least impressive performance to ever win an Oscar? Leo had to crawl around on all fours for a month, yelling to win his.

Further evidence to support my theory that it's all a bunch of wank.

1. Moonlight ★★★★
  2. The Lego Batman Movie ★★★
  3. Toni Erdmann ★★★
  4. Jackie ★★★
  5. Hidden Figures ★★★
  6. La La Land ★★
  7. T2 Trainspotting ★★
  8. John Wick: Chapter 2 ★

Finally, a film to break through the three star ceiling. If that's not Oscar worthy, I don't know what is.

Old man Jake enjoyed that particular walk down memory lane.

Moonlight is the best film to win best picture for years. A decade maybe. So much forgettable mediocrity rewarded. Spotlight was entirely fine. The King's Speech? Fucking hell.

What I'm trying to say is that the best picture award is normally hilariously wrong but No Country For Old Men deserved it, even in the face of There Will Be Blood.

Old man Jake enjoyed that particular walk down memory lane.

Moonlight is the best film to win best picture for years. A decade maybe. So much forgettable mediocrity rewarded. Spotlight was entirely fine. The King's Speech? Fucking hell.

My biggest problem with Spotlight winning it was that it meant The Revenant didn't win it.

Saw (not Old Man) Logan today Sam! Thought it was good! Tell me why I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back