Sam's Thread of Chattin' w/ Jake & Other Robust Subjects

Saw Swiss Army Man today. Thought it was pretty excellent, although the sheer ridiculousness of the gags kind of undercuts the serious emotional discovery the film portrays. That might be intentional, though.

You know what's fun about being British? Other than the obvious self-destructive tendencies that cause me to punch a rottweiler in the face when I can't open a Mars bar and yell triumphantly about taking back control while it mauls me. If I Google the release date of a film, Google smugly gives me the US release date. If I click on the IMDb page, same thing. If I click on IMDb's list of release dates, I'll normally be given three UK release dates, and it's not clear if any of them are accurate. That's a long-winded way of saying I couldn't find a UK release date for Swiss Army Man, which is fine because this is my first time hearing about it, and I'm also I'm not a massive Daniel Radcliffe fan.

I didn't renew my Empire subscription - I'm assuming it was this month's cover film.

Speaking of this month's actual cover film, as it becomes clear that I was merely feigning ignorance, I've started watching the original Star Trek series. I thought I'd likely throw in the towel within about ten minutes but I'm honestly fascinated by how William Shatner walks into a room like he's about to fuck everything in it.

Swiss Army Man is basically one really long fart joke with occasional breaks for emotions and/or boner jokes.

I was never really for or against Daniel Radcliffe before this movie. In fact, the only things I think I'd seen him in prior are Harry Potter and that one episode of Bojack Horseman. But after this, I'm staunchly pro-Radcliffe. He was an absolute riot.

I really liked Star Trek: Into Darkness. I thought Cumberbatch was an excellent villain and found the action to be more than adequate. Until The Force Awakens, it was probably my favorite blockbuster sci-fi film of the 2010s.

Edit: Actually, that's false. Depending on your definition of sci-fi and blockbuster, there are many movies that I liked more that could fit either or both of those definitions (Interstellar, Inception, Guardians of the Galaxy, Gravity, etc.) or

★★★★★ The Man Who Knew Infinity
★★★★ The Neon Demon and The Legend of Tarzan
★★★ Weiner, Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie and Now You See Me 2
★★ Central Intelligence and Couple In A Hole
★ When Marnier Was There

If you dislike somebody with photosensitive epilepsy, take them to see The Neon Demon.

I also stand by all of these ratings as of today.

Tarzan, four stars? Fuck off!

I appreciate my start to the second half of this year has been a slow, or non-existent one, but I have definite plans to see Ghostbusters and less definite plans to see Tale of Tales this week.

I spent £50 (about $16, for the benefit of our American friends) on a lifetime membership at the Prince Charles Cinema and haven't been once. I failed to realise they were showing Love & Friendship until the week they stopped showing it so I really ought to go and see Tale of Tales there, regardless of how French it is.

£1 screenings (largely of obscure films of which they presumably just have reels sitting about), £1.50 minimum off every ticket, two free tickets (not annually, ever - including 70mm screenings), 10% off at the bar/concessions stand, and a pretty cool membership card with Blade Runner on it. I was going quite a lot when I got it, then abruptly stopped.

I just really enjoyed Tarzan. I'm just as sorry as you are.

I missed Love & Friendship because I was hungover. I missed Tale of Tales yesterday because somebody was getting arrested on my train to Manchester and delayed it. As a result I had to endure When Marnie Was There.

I tortured myself tonight by thinking of what life would be like if Sami Zayn had wrestled Kurt Angle or Rey Mysterio in their respective primes. It would be a better place, surely.

All the powers of science must be used to create realistic simulations of what that would have looked like.

There's a touch of Benoit to Neville. It's either a shared Dynamite Kid influence or the tree trunk physique.

I want to see Zayn versus Brock but, you know, steroids. I also want to see Zayn versus Roman but, you know, steroids. I'd like to see Zayn versus Neville again but, you know, Neville needs to recommend his piss guy to the rest of the boys.

It is a decent game. Probably a good way to scratch that itch for a true sequel if the current cast has you down.

1. Room ★★★★★
  2. 10 Cloverfield Lane ★★★★
  3. Anomalisa ★★★★
  4. Creed ★★★★
  5. The Revenant ★★★★
  6. Everybody Wants Some!! ★★★★
  7. The Hateful Eight ★★★★
  8. The Witch ★★★★
  9. Captain America: Civil War ★★★★
  10. Green Room ★★★★
  11. Bone Tomahawk ★★★★
  12. The Nice Guys ★★★
  13. Hail, Caesar! ★★★
  14. Zootropolis ★★★
  15. Spotlight ★★★
  16. Deadpool ★★★
  17. The Secret Life of Pets ★★★
  18. Rams ★★★
  19. Ghostbusters ★★★
  20. The Survivalist ★★★
  21. The Big Short ★★★
  22. The Jungle Book ★★e
  23. Goosebumps ★★
  24. Eddie the Eagle ★★
  25. High-Rise ★★
  26. Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice ★★
  27. X-Men Apocalypse ★
  28. The Assassin ★

It's unfair on the other films, the amount of time I've had to reflect on Ghostbusters and have it grow on me. I'll never gush with praise about it but there's more to like about it without the weight of expectation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back