Sam's Thread of Chattin' w/ Jake & Other Robust Subjects

One of my indie cinemas will probably chuck it on again at some point - that's my only hope of seeing it somewhere other than my bedroom.

★★★★ Zootropolis and Eddie The Eagle
★★ Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Bored me to tears before that final fight.

One positive, I'm intrigued by the Wonder Woman film now.

Brilliant, it looked like a film I'd enjoy. Reviews have been good too.

Eddie the Eagle piqued my interest when it got a pretty gushing review from Empire. Unfortunately, considering I'll be seeing 10 Cloverfield Lane, Room, and High-Rise over the next seven days, it's very much on my backburner.

1. Anomalisa ★★★★
  2. Creed ★★★★
  3. The Revenant ★★★★
  4. The Hateful Eight ★★★★
  5. The Witch ★★★★
  6. Hail, Caesar! ★★★
  7. Zootropolis ★★★
  8. Spotlight ★★★
  9. Deadpool ★★★
  10. Rams ★★★
  11. The Survivalist ★★★
  12. The Big Short ★★★
  13. Goosebumps ★★
  14. Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice ★★
  15. The Assassin ★

Zootropolis was a real disappointment. As surprising, and pleasant, as covert prejudice as a theme in a kids' movie is, it wasn't particularly funny or inventive.

1. 10 Cloverfield Lane ★★★★★
  2. Anomalisa ★★★★
  3. Creed ★★★★
  4. The Revenant ★★★★
  5. The Hateful Eight ★★★★
  6. The Witch ★★★★
  7. Hail, Caesar! ★★★
  8. Zootropolis ★★★
  9. Spotlight ★★★
  10. Deadpool ★★★
  11. Rams ★★★
  12. The Survivalist ★★★
  13. The Big Short ★★★
  14. Goosebumps ★★
  15. Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice ★★
  16. The Assassin ★

Obviously not a JJ Abrams effort, seeing as it understands a) mystery, b) dramatic reveals, c) characters, and d) science fiction.

Anybody wanna go halves on a doomsday bunker?

I loved it before the final ten minutes. Then the final ten minutes happened. We're sending out the wedding invites tomorrow.

I loved it before the final ten minutes. Then the final ten minutes happened. We're sending out the wedding invites tomorrow.

Wow, you're the first person I've heard who liked it more after the last ten minutes.

Personally I was completely okay with the ending, but it didn't tip my opinion one way or another. For me, it was kind of just like, "Okay, it's this. That's what it is. Let's go."

I suppose you could complain about it, but, to quote Community, "Ain't gonna change the way mustard tastes."

I also thought the very end of the movie was a very cool way to end it, kind of like, "Everything you've been through up to now was a test. Are you ready for what's next?" And Ramona Flowers was like, "Fuck yeah I'm ready."

FYI I watched Speed Racer again recently. It's never a good decision to rewatch that movie.

It's a great decision.

Wow, you're the first person I've heard who liked it more after the last ten minutes.

Personally I was completely okay with the ending, but it didn't tip my opinion one way or another. For me, it was kind of just like, "Okay, it's this. That's what it is. Let's go."

I suppose you could complain about it, but, to quote Community, "Ain't gonna change the way mustard tastes."

Many movies and shows today present you with mysteries that they never have any intention of satisfactorily resolving, particularly if they have JJ Abrams' name looming over them. One of my favourite shows is Columbo, in which you know the killer, the victim, the motive and how the murder was conducted at the start of the show and the whole thing becomes an exercise in dramatic irony. Obviously 10 Cloverfield Lane doesn't open with the answers, but it knows what the answers are, it foreshadows them, and then it gives them to you in the most audacious manner possible.

It's basically the antithesis of Prometheus, which thinks science fiction is everything to do with spectacle and nothing to do with ideas.

Anybody planning on seeing the film should probably stop reading by the end of this sentence because I'm going to struggle to not give the game away and much of the film's impact comes from its surprises.

I liked that after the dripfeed of reveals throughout the film, they started raining down. I liked how, out of all the possible explanations, they teased the most pedestrian one and then went for the most audacious. I liked how, like From Dusk Til Dawn, the film did a total 180 into a different genre. That's about as much as I can say without going into stupid specifics.

An entire film of Skyline, no. A bit at the end of an entirely different film as a bizarre left turn, yes.

I remember Skyline had a weird fucking ending too. Somebody had their brain put into an alien or some such. It was hilarious.

1. Room :icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry:
  2. 10 Cloverfield Lane ★★★★★
  3. Anomalisa ★★★★
  4. Creed ★★★★
  5. The Revenant ★★★★
  6. The Hateful Eight ★★★★
  7. The Witch ★★★★
  8. Hail, Caesar! ★★★
  9. Zootropolis ★★★
  10. Spotlight ★★★
  11. Deadpool ★★★
  12. Rams ★★★
  13. The Survivalist ★★★
  14. The Big Short ★★★
  15. Goosebumps ★★
  16. Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice ★★
  17. The Assassin ★

I swear, I don't just have a thing for dungeons.

Both Room and 10 Cloverfield Lane are tough films, but for very different reasons.

Truthfully I think I liked 10 Cloverfield Lane better, but The Room is no slouch either.

Room related:
If you've seen the trailer for Room then you know that they escape, but I was still incredibly anxious during the escape scene.

1. Room ★★★★★
  3. Anomalisa ★★★★
  4. Creed ★★★★
  5. The Revenant ★★★★
  7. The Witch ★★★★
  8. Hail, Caesar! ★★★
  9. Zootropolis ★★★
  10. Spotlight ★★★
  11. Deadpool ★★★
  12. Rams ★★★
  13. The Survivalist ★★★
  14. The Big Short ★★★
  15. Goosebumps ★★
  16. Eddie the Eagle ★★
  17. Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice ★★
  18. The Assassin ★

Eddie the Eagle seemed weirdly plastic and inauthentic. The fictional addition of Hugh Jackman as an alcoholic, disaffected ex-ski jumper turned coach is either brilliant metacommentary or dumb as fuck.

1. Room ★★★★★
  3. Anomalisa ★★★★
  4. Creed ★★★★
  5. The Revenant ★★★★
  7. The Witch ★★★★
  8. Hail, Caesar! ★★★
  9. Zootropolis ★★★
  10. Spotlight ★★★
  11. Deadpool ★★★
  12. Rams ★★★
  13. The Survivalist ★★★
  14. The Big Short ★★★
  15. Goosebumps ★★
  16. Eddie the Eagle ★★
  17. Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice ★★
  18. High-Rise ★★
  19. The Assassin ★

Using Margaret Thatcher in a film, even if it's period appropriate, is so lazy and hackneyed that any goodwill the film has built up until that point gets thrown out the window - so for God's sake, if you're going to do it, put it at the start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back