Pointless Finishers

It's more believable? Then why the fuck doesn't the person try to use it earlier in the match? That's where it's completely stupid. If the Tombstone Piledriver is so devastating, how come Undertaker doesn't use it sooner? Is he just an idiot? How come HBK only goes for SCM after several minutes in the match, and he does his comeback routine? If SCM is so devastating, shouldn't he try it earlier in the match? That's what is so ridiculous about knockout devastating finishers. It completely ruins the whole psychology of a match, which is to beat an opponent down so he can't get up before the 3 count.

Of course not. But, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Hogan's leg drop wasn't a devastating move, it was a move that was a signature. The opponent was basically incapacitated and Hogan's leg drop was just the icing on the cake. That's the way finishers SHOULD be.

Which shows what I'm saying has completely gone over your head.

And a move that Austin never tried until several minutes into a match. Austin must be the stupidest wrestler in the history of the business.

For someone writing in wrestling forums, knowing that professional wrestling is "sports-entetainment", you sure do get your panties in a bunch over other people expressing their opinions. We have to listen to you, so how about you listen to everybody else's opinion instead of bashing them for it? Sure, we all can't be right but come on neither can you. My opinion about the DDT was supposed to show that it doesn't stand out like other wrestler's finishers do. Not everyone does a Pedigree or an FU, for example. That's what I was trying to say. Sorry if I offended you or rubbed you the wrong way about it, but you don't have to tear my head off for what I said. Same with anybody else. You can't always be right and you have absolutely no right at all to tell other people that their opinions are wrong or make the other person feel like a fucking moron. You don't know it all by any stretch of the imagination, pal. The sooner you learn that and apply what I'm saying to every aspect of your life, the better a person you will be at the end of the day.

LOL isn't it funny how we all seem to disagree with slyfox, because he's being an idoit about what he's saying? Talk about being a 2-faced, lying, hypocrite. AKA Self-centered AKA Full of himself AKA A know-it-all wanna be AKA Chris Jericho's worst enemy LOL

The leg drop for Hogan works because it's effective. The People's Elbow leaves me to think that either the Rock's offense means the death or that today's wrestlers are weak.

The leg drop is effective and the people's elbow are the same thing, just with different body parts, You know as little as sky...today's wrestlers are weak, yesterday's wrestlers lost to a leg drop and a body splash(not from a fat guy), but today's wrestlers are weak

Man, Slyfox must have really HATED fatalities in Mortal Kombat because you can compare today's wrestling finishers to them, only wrestling finishers are slightly less violent and the only thing the opponent loses is the match. The MOST important build towards the finisher is the build....oh wait that's the ENTIRE MATCH!!!! ALL THROUGHOUT THE WRESTLING WORLD!!!! From the Indies, to Japan, to Mexico, to WWE, TNA, ROH, wherever you want to have it. The finishers normally and by normally I mean 99.9999999 percent of the time they all put the exclimation point on the sentence "YOU JUST LOST BITCH!!!" When you saw someone kick out of ANYONE'S finisher it was an epic showdown or some sort of interference.

Finishers are the wrestler's custom move that they use to win a match. That's what they were designed for and that's how they are used. SIGNATURE MOVES are moves that are thrown into a wreslters style to further identify them (i.e. Cena's God awful Five-Knuckle Shuffle, The People's Elbow, Foley's Double Arm DDT, Taker's Chokeslam, Edge's Edgicution, Jericho's Lionsault) and have sometimes won matches for them against guys on the lower card. WHAT FUN WOULD WRESTLING BE IF EVERYONE JUST CAME OUT HIT THEIR FINISHERS AND LEFT?!?!?!?!?!?!

As for your comment on Austin being the stupidest wrestler ever, my advice to you is to sign off, shut the fuck up and go watch Austin's DVD.

The worst Finisher in my opinon HAS to be the Mandible Claw. That is both to look at and to take, because my god who would want that sock in their mouth?

Another terrible finisher would be the Bonzai Drop when done by someone other than Yoko.

Hummm this is a really good thread. While there are pleanty of pointless finishers out there here are the top 10 in my opinion in no particular order

10. MVP's Playmaker: OMG what a horriable finisher. the move doesn't even cause any damage to the opponent they land on top of him for christ sake. Im so glad he stopped using this.

9. Hogan's Atomic Leg Drop: Are you serious? most of his matches involved alot more deadly moves in which his opponents have kicked out of so how in the hell am I to believe he could finish anybody off with a leg drop?? Thanx but no thanx

8. The Rock's People's Elbow: Can you smell what a load of crap this is? seriously an elbow drop? The Rock bottom is waaaayyyy better than this load of B.S.

7. Big SHow's Knockout Punch: How are we to believe you'll knock someone out with one punch when you've been punching and kicking them the whole match? His Chokeslam wasn't all that great but this is a step or two down the ladder.

6. Mark Henry's world Strongest Slam: For a guy that big to have a finisher so weak is just garbage. I guess he traded brains for braun

5. Scotty 2 Hotty's The worm: a 15min set up followed by a throat chop....need I say more?

4. Kung Fu Naki's Crane Kick: The Karate kid was popular in the 80's give it up..... At least its more realistic than any of the moves before it

3. John Cena's STFU: Noting against Cena but you could've did way better than this how about a camel clutch?

2. Vladimir Kozlov's Battering Ram: A head butt? are you serious? The headshrinkers called they want their move back

1. JBL's Clothesline from Hell: While I do like the way he delivers the move its a fucking clothesline!!!! If any of these other moves didn't exist this would easily take the cake but with all of these sucking just as much as the other its hard to call

Sly has got it right for the most part here, there are a couple of disagreements I have and they are to do with the RKO, because it is something else.

As for the old school finishes there is a wealth of cases of old school wrestlers, and I am meaning Lou Thesz, Gorgeous George, Pat O'Connor era wrestlers. You look at what their finishers were, lets see Thesz' was a bridging Suplex, that makes logical sense as a finisher because he is in the right position to go for a pin win he hits it. Gorgeous George doesn't even have a finisher listed on wikipedia, Wikipedia doesn't list Pat O'Connor's either but I am pretty sure that it was a Bear Hug. But these guys made money working their style, Gorgeous George is probably more important than Hulk Hogan, but both used a very subdued thing to finish the match.

Now onto the RKO, looking at a recent Orton match, you watch the psychology that Orton uses in the build up of the match to his instant kill for the match, he wears the opponents down around the head area so it does more damage when it is hit, I am sure you have noticed this in your watching of him. Now while you may call it as a stupid thing that he doesn't hit it straight away, you are probably right, but what is entertaining about a 5 second match? if he does try to hit it straight away I see it as an attempt to end quickly, however the results will be relatively minimum compared to say when he does it after working on the head area.

Now onto some of the other people in this thread, People take Scotty 2 Hotty and Funaki as serious wrestlers? I didn't get the memo, it is pro wrestling there does need to be some elements of fun within it, or else it would be even duller than a marathon of coronation street on repeat. Nobody could or should take these two seriously in the case of matches against heavyweights, however within the specified weight boundaries these guys can put on entertaining matches, there job was to job so there is no need for the finisher to be taken seriously, Scotty's even makes sense in terms of his gimmick and his background, in a tag team environment it makes sense for the worm because the tag partner can hold down the opponent. There are numerous other cases that I could address but I won't because I want to see a response to what I have said.

Good to see another Kiwi on the site. But I have to ask you have you ever used a headbutt in a fight? Even watching Zidane headbutting that guy in the world cup final shows a devastating blow that can be capitalised upon in the ring, it makes perfect sense in the course of the match. Khali's hand chop works because Khali is freaking Massive, I was in the 2nd row at the WWE show at vector last year and I could see that he was huge, so hight and velocity work in the Khali moves favour as a logical move.

Tazz said:
"Just because it's called a finisher doesn't mean it's definitely going to end the match."

Spoken by Tazz in god knows how many SvR games.

Man, Slyfox must have really HATED fatalities in Mortal Kombat because you can compare today's wrestling finishers to them, only wrestling finishers are slightly less violent and the only thing the opponent loses is the match.

Actually MK Fatalities are a perfect example of what Sly thinks wrestling finishers should be. Because you have to actually beat your opponent before you can execute a fatality. Sly's argument is that a finisher should be executed when the wrestler knows his opponent is beaten, purely for the reaction of the crowd, and NOT made to look like it was absolutely necessary to execute the move in order to win the match.

The MOST important build towards the finisher is the build....oh wait that's the ENTIRE MATCH!!!! ALL THROUGHOUT THE WRESTLING WORLD!!!! From the Indies, to Japan, to Mexico, to WWE, TNA, ROH, wherever you want to have it. The finishers normally and by normally I mean 99.9999999 percent of the time they all put the exclimation point on the sentence "YOU JUST LOST BITCH!!!" When you saw someone kick out of ANYONE'S finisher it was an epic showdown or some sort of interference.

I've always seen finishers as the last ditch effort, the ace in the hole, type of move that if you're busting your ass trying to keep a guy down, then you've still got a devastating move to pull off the victory. I'm all for finishers that come out of nowhere, but i'd be more impressed with a great counter from out of nowhere that seals the victory, instead of HAVING to execute a finisher in order to end the match.

But then some matches involve a lot of finishing moves throughout and it gets pretty stupid, and therefore ruins the psychology of a match. Here's some examples:

WM15: Rock v SCSA: They hit their finishers at least twice each in this match, and the quality of the wrestling drops from the moment Rock hits his first Rock Bottom on Austin. The remaining 15 minutes of the match consist mainly of ref's getting their asses handed to them, and Vince coming out, followed by Foley. Then in their next 2 WM matches, the same happens again, except at WM19 they did each other's finishers as well!

WM18: SCSA v Scott Hall. Austin gives Hall the Stunner like 3 or 4 times, and hits one on Nash, AND even gets hit with a Stunner himself, in the space of 15 minutes.

KOTR 2002: Angle v Rock v Taker: They each had a go at finisher poaching, and not one of them got the win by doing so. Looked kinda stupid tbh, yet everyone praises this match for that, and that alone.

Royal Rumbles are also pretty notorious for ****ing out finishers. There's been a number of occassions where a guy has come in and hits everyone with his finisher. Take this year's for example. Orton started RKO'ing everyone in sight. What was the point of that exactly? What good does it do to hit everyone with a move, taking them down, when you're objective is to throw guys OVER the top rope. The RKO on Big Show over the ropes was the only one that made sense to execute.

Anyway, moving on.....

Finishers are the wrestler's custom move that they use to win a match. That's what they were designed for and that's how they are used. SIGNATURE MOVES are moves that are thrown into a wreslters style to further identify them (i.e. Cena's God awful Five-Knuckle Shuffle, The People's Elbow, Foley's Double Arm DDT, Taker's Chokeslam, Edge's Edgicution, Jericho's Lionsault) and have sometimes won matches for them against guys on the lower card.

I agree. I think the best example i've seen as of late, is Taker beating Big Daddy V with his running DDT on SD! No tombstone, no chokeslam, no hell's gate, no last ride, just a running DDT, 1, 2, 3!

WHAT FUN WOULD WRESTLING BE IF EVERYONE JUST CAME OUT HIT THEIR FINISHERS AND LEFT?!?!?!?!?!?!

Didn't Goldberg's WCW run consist of doing exactly that though?

As for your comment on Austin being the stupidest wrestler ever, my advice to you is to sign off, shut the fuck up and go watch Austin's DVD.

Which one, and to what end?

The worst Finisher in my opinon HAS to be the Mandible Claw. That is both to look at and to take, because my god who would want that sock in their mouth?

That is a great example of a shit finisher. How does grabbing someone's jaw cause their entire body to go into paralysis exactly? Why did some guys go down like a sack of shit and other guys just got up and hit Mick with their signature/finishing move?

My other choice is also Big Show's right hand. What the fuck is that about? Yes he'd probably knock out most people if he did it properly, but it's such an easy move and is NEVER going to get over, especially when he uses punches etc throughout the match anyway. How does he expect to be taken seriously?

Also, for people who say that Sliced Bread #2 looks totally fake and wouldn't hurt, you try holding up over 100lbs of weight with your head and neck alone and see if you don't fall back and hurt yourslef, with that same weight falling onto your head as well.

Ok to the person that mentioned Japan in there do you watch any Japanese matches? They don't have a singular surefire finisher, they have three at least, Why? because it allows them to kick out and have false finishes to matches, so they don't build to finishers they are more signitures of the Wrestlers.

Now onto the Mandible Claw, its a fucking Nerve hold, do it to yourself (light or Hard I don't really give a shit) guess what it fucking hurts, read the first Foley book, he describes it like that to a degree. Look at the way that a finisher is executed and then place constaints of the human body in effect before you say it looks shit or pointless. Nerve Holds fucking hurt by the way, so next time someone says that it won't paralyse you to the finger biting thing or what ever pain will override the system and it works.

Slyfox brings up a good point about finishers and something that has always bothered me and that is if they are so devastating why dont they use it early in the match? I know the philosophy is "you have to wear them down before you do it" but for certain ones like sweet chin music you wouldnt need to. If you can kick them right when they are getting up at the 20 minute mark, why not at the 3 minute mark? Same thing with the spear or any other one you can do out of nowhere.

That's why I always liked submission finishers because you can develop more limb psychology in the match. Take for instance the sharpshooter, you could use the philosophy "Im gonna soften up and injure his leg or back as much as possible before I apply it so its has the most effect" and it actually made sense. Which is something Bret was the master at. It made things seem more believable.

Anyway to answer the question the worst has to be the 619. For one it is completely unbelievable because there is no way a guy would lay in the ropes that long especially knowing that your opponent's finisher revolves around that. You rarely see guys lay like that in any other match so why would they do it in a Mysterio match? And for another it just doesnt look like it would hurt even if he really did it.

someone ealirer mentioned CM punks GTS. this would be a good finished if someone strong like cena or batista did it, and so they could deliver it to the big guys like big show etc.

however CM punk is small and relatively weak in comparison and struggled to hit the GTS on a 300lb JBL. whats he going to do when he faces Umaga or someone heavy?

therefore the GTS is a terrible finisher for Punk.

619 is also a shocker as like its already been said, since when do people fall on the ropes?

Take for example Jeff Hardy vs Randy Orton from the 2008 Royal Rumble. Jeff goes for the twist of fate, you are thinking he is on the verge of finally winning that title, but no he's been pinned cos Orton reversed it into the RKO. It puts more suspense into the final sequence.
Thus rendering AN ENTIRE MATCH as unnecessary. If I can just hit one move to win a match, why bother with all the others?
I saw your comment about Hogan, and the piledriver, and the finishers of old, and can't help but laugh at you.

Finishers are called "finishers", because they finish a match. All of the moves you listed, were the last move of the match. When Hogan hit the big boot and the leg drop, you knew it was over. The same for Macho Man's elbow. Warrior's gorilla press. Slaughter's cobra clutch. Flair's figure four.

The reason they were exciting, was because you knew it was over.
Agree completely. You have TOTALLY missed my point. Yes, you knew the match was over when they hit them, but NOT because the moves were ultra devastating. Those moves didn't erase an entire match, they were just the final blow to an already beat up opponent. If Hogan had hit the leg drop 2 minutes into the match, would that have pinned anyone? Of course not, it's just a legdrop. But, it was the incredible damage that Hogan had done BEFORE the legdrop, combined with the power of the legdrop, that got Hogan the win.

Nowadays, the work before the finisher doesn't matter, it's just how badass can you make your finisher. It's stupid.

I know that when Orton goes for the RKO, he's going to get shoved into a turnbuckle. I wish we could have one finisher where it was "lights out" when it connected.
See, that's the by-product of making finishers ultra devastating. Because finishers have become ultra devastating, the match itself is pointless until the end, and the crowd knows that. So, in order to get the crowd into the end of a match, the workers tease the finisher. Think about it...when was the last time HBK hit the SCM immediately after tuning up the band? 10 years ago? He almost ALWAYS misses it the first time, just to hit it out of nowhere a few moments later. The reason for this is because they have to tease the finisher in order for the crowd to get into the finish of the match.

And that is because finishers are completely ridiculous in the way they are used.

First of all, you just contradicted yourself saying that they were "finishers" of the past because you didn't call them finishers before, you called them signatures,
I'm not contradicting myself, I'm using the terms interchangeably...as they should be used.

and you obviously make no sense because I wasn't the first person to point out your flawed statements
A group of morons are still morons. I'm not calling you a moron, but trying to say that I'm wrong because someone else thought so is terrible logic.

they're more devistating now because nobody is gonna believe that a leg drop can beat a 275 lb guy, even after he ran into your foot, that's why they have the more powerful finishers today
Yes, that's my point. Are you even paying attention?

A finisher SHOULD NOT be used to win a match. A finisher should be the last move a wrestler uses to win a match. Here's the difference. If Orton hits the RKO, no matter what else happens in the match, he gets the pin. If Randy Savage hits an elbow drop 2 minutes into the match, then the match still proceeds.

Finishers were not meant to be ultra devastating, but rather a wrestlers signature move that signaled the match was over. There's a difference.

For someone writing in wrestling forums, knowing that professional wrestling is "sports-entetainment", you sure do get your panties in a bunch over other people expressing their opinions. We have to listen to you, so how about you listen to everybody else's opinion instead of bashing them for it? Sure, we all can't be right but come on neither can you. My opinion about the DDT was supposed to show that it doesn't stand out like other wrestler's finishers do. Not everyone does a Pedigree or an FU, for example. That's what I was trying to say. Sorry if I offended you or rubbed you the wrong way about it, but you don't have to tear my head off for what I said. Same with anybody else. You can't always be right and you have absolutely no right at all to tell other people that their opinions are wrong or make the other person feel like a fucking moron. You don't know it all by any stretch of the imagination, pal. The sooner you learn that and apply what I'm saying to every aspect of your life, the better a person you will be at the end of the day.
If you only knew who you were talking to. As a new poster, you should really keep comments like that in check, until you understand the people you are speaking to, and understand their posting habits.

You didn't offend me at all, but I'm going to go all out to prove something wrong when I believe it to be.
LOL isn't it funny how we all seem to disagree with slyfox, because he's being an idoit about what he's saying? Talk about being a 2-faced, lying, hypocrite. AKA Self-centered AKA Full of himself AKA A know-it-all wanna be AKA Chris Jericho's worst enemy LOL
It's never a good idea to flame a moderator, especially a Global Moderator who has the power to ban you with a single click.

Just sayin'. If you wish to disagree with me, go for it. I'll debate you forever about it (and people here will attest to that). But, for your sake, leave the insults out of it.

Man, Slyfox must have really HATED fatalities in Mortal Kombat because you can compare today's wrestling finishers to them
Actually, that's a GREAT example.

Tell me, could you hit a fatality in the opening part of the fight? Or did you have to wear your opponent out, beat him down, and render him unconscious before you hit it? Yeah, you had to beat him down.

That's the way finishers SHOULD work. You should have to beat the piss out of someone, and the finisher/fatality ONLY works because you kicked the crap out of them before. But, that's not the way finishers work now. Finishers work NOW, where you can hit the fatality at any time, regardless of how injured you made them before the fatality.

That's a great example, although in the opposite direction of what you were hoping for.

As for this comment...are you kidding me? Did you even READ why I said Austin was stupid? Did you really think I meant that?

For Christ's sake, actually read a post before you make ridiculous comments about it.
Actually MK Fatalities are a perfect example of what Sly thinks wrestling finishers should be. Because you have to actually beat your opponent before you can execute a fatality. Sly's argument is that a finisher should be executed when the wrestler knows his opponent is beaten, purely for the reaction of the crowd, and NOT made to look like it was absolutely necessary to execute the move in order to win the match.
EXACTLY.

Reactions: NSL
WM15: Rock v SCSA: They hit their finishers at least twice each in this match, and the quality of the wrestling drops from the moment Rock hits his first Rock Bottom on Austin. The remaining 15 minutes of the match consist mainly of ref's getting their asses handed to them, and Vince coming out, followed by Foley. Then in their next 2 WM matches, the same happens again, except at WM19 they did each other's finishers as well!

WM18: SCSA v Scott Hall. Austin gives Hall the Stunner like 3 or 4 times, and hits one on Nash, AND even gets hit with a Stunner himself, in the space of 15 minutes.

KOTR 2002: Angle v Rock v Taker: They each had a go at finisher poaching, and not one of them got the win by doing so. Looked kinda stupid tbh, yet everyone praises this match for that, and that alone.

Royal Rumbles are also pretty notorious for ****ing out finishers. There's been a number of occassions where a guy has come in and hits everyone with his finisher. Take this year's for example. Orton started RKO'ing everyone in sight. What was the point of that exactly? What good does it do to hit everyone with a move, taking them down, when you're objective is to throw guys OVER the top rope. The RKO on Big Show over the ropes was the only one that made sense to execute.

I think I can prove you wrong on that. The psychology behind what you mentioned with Rock/Austin was that it was to say they were evenly matched, and you can even go as far to say that mirrored what they were backstage because they were both evenly over, you also mentioned a match that is in my favorite triple threat match and it was at Vengeance 2002 not KOTR with Rock/Angle/Taker when they all hit each other's finishers. Granted they didn't hit them perfectly but it was a nice little twist they threw in there because you didn't expect it.

Now yes I agree that if all your match consists of is hitting your finisher then yes, it's gay, it sucks, toss it in the garbage. Unlike what I've been understanding from Slyfox, where he just doesn't seem to appreciate the build towards it. Now I agree with him where he seems to say that some of the builds have become repetitive and predictable but hey thats WWE. You notice we don't say anything towards TNA finishers. Tell me have you ever seen ANYONE kick out of a Canadian Destroyer? TNA has it right where each match IS different. It's one of the things I like about TNA.

But what the basic formula for WWE wrestling today is build build build, tease the finisher, build build build, go home with the finisher. At least for the main event matches if they aren't some sort of swerve in a storyline, I personall am interested in the way WWE builds to the finish. Because we have gotten some epic battles.

Also Slyfox, if you go back and watch that match Orton's RKO out of the Twist of Fate WAS a last ditch effort cause Hardy was beating the shit out of him at the time. The RKO was designed to be an "out of nowhere" "don't see it coming" type move, and that's what makes it so awesome. You're failing to see that they are still doing this whole "build up, put a final nail in your opponent type deal." It's just being done different, and I know someone in here mentioned the Code Breaker. I've seen several people kick out of a Code Breaker, RKO, FU, just as MANY people have gotten out of the Walls, STFU, Ankle Lock, Angle Slam, etc, and those were legit last ditch efforts. Stuff like that keeps the match exciting.

In my opinion the ability to hit a finisher and win with it depends on how you're viewed backstage, the same with your ability to kick out of/ reverse a finisher. Tell me, how many people have kicked out of a pedigree that weren't on a major push or were at the highest level of Main Event Status? Cena, Orton, Jeff Hardy, Rock, Austin, Michaels, and Taker. All are the main eventers, However when HHH hits it on a guy like Kozlov, Khali, Chavo etc....you know they aren't gonna kick out cause they're just mid-carders. So how devistating your finisher is ans can be also depends on how good of terms you are with the boss, another great example of this is Hogan's Legdrop. I bet you ANYTHING that if Hogan wasn't as over as he was or if McMahon wasn't on his nuts then that legdrop would have been as worthless as it looked.

And both worlds are now mixed, look at MK Armageddon, there were many different types of fatalities that you could pull off at ANY time, granted they were enviroment type stuff, but they were fatalities nonetheless, and the fight WAS OVER. That's the same feeling that wrestling wants you to have...that you can get hit with a finisher at ANY TIME and the match is over.

After youtube-ing it up for a bit I have decided my own opinion has changed.

When the finishers such as the people's elbow, the elbow drop, the leg drop and even the FU/Attitude Adjustment, it creates such excitement in the build up to the finisher. Look at the crowd as Hogan or the Rock go into the ropes or when Cena lifts them up to his shoulders.

When finishers such as the RKO ar ehit out of nowhere there seems a more shocked atmosphere around, as if "what was that?".

Therefore my conclusion is a babyface should have an iconic move that takes time to hit so the crowd can get up to cheer, so taking the modern day stars this woul dhappen when Jeff goes up to the top rope, Cena/punk gets the opponent on their shoulders, Batista/HHH gets the opponent's head in the right place etc,

AND

A heel should have an impact move out of nowhere that sudddenly ends the match.

Now sly, this would allow the babyface to have won by annihilating their opponents that they are alrady defeated before the finisher, and it just puts an exclamation point on the whole thing. Then the heel could have stolen a win out of nowhere, not winning the fight properly.

How can you have a discussion like this and not even mention the Mighty Hogan Leg Drop, Hogan won all those World Titles based on his charisma cuz this finisher was ridiculous. How about tito santana's flying elboy (guys forgot about that one hunh) this finisher sometimes would even get the opponent out the ring, or how about the devasting Ultimate Warrior splash, again what the heck is that, or Crush's crushing Heart punch. I don't have a problem with the DDT, because the Jake's DDT was a finisher before anybody else used the DDT. On the top of this list is the knee drop by Damian Damento which happens after a neck breaker. But to me a TERRIBLE finisher is The Goon's finisher, i think it was called the penalty shot, it was basically a cross check on the outside of the ring and then winning the match via count out.

You mention the Hogan Leg Drop, but you have to realize that Hogan's best time was during the 80's and at that time a leg drop from a 300+ pound man landing on your throat is pretty realistic... According to me on the other hand i think that the worst finisher right now is the Hellavator by Matt Morgan... he pretty much DDTs himself... of all time I have to say the Warrior Splash was horrible...

Mark Henry's World's Strongest Slam is just a stupid move. It looks dumb and looks bad on tv a lot. TNA's new guy, Brutus Maximus has a bad looking finisher too.

well first off HBK's sweet chin music is awesome...Let someone kick the shit out of your jaw and we'll see if you get up. Secondly i think the worst finisher has got to be THe Miz's horrible mic check. A knee lift followed by a neckbreaker. its just so weak, but then again so is he and morrison.

sorry i meant to say miz's reality check

Worst: Big Show's punch, Umaga's spike, Rey's 619, Khali's chop, Koslov's headbut (wtf!?!?!) and Edge/Batista's spear... (I know, ill discuss it below).

Best: TBK's The Kendrik, Orton's RKO, Jericho's codebreaker, Kane/Undertaker chokeslam (Show's is shit, Kane's is the best he gets them real high then smashes them), R-Truth's scissor kick thingy (Not sure what its called, my bad, looks sick though), HHH's pedigree (only because of it's reputation now), Jeff's swanton and Punk's GTS, Batista Bomb is ok as well.

Now, with Edge's and Batista's spear, its a cool move and definatly defines them (especially Edge) but at the same time i just cant see it as a finisher, it would work better as a signature move throughout the match, like Jerichos lionsault or Jeff's whisper in the wind. Edge needs something else, not sure what though.... Maybe a topic for another thread....

I wanted to draw attention to TBK's The Kendrick as no one seems to have mentioned it yet (sorry if u have) but i like this move, it's different, it does come out of nowhere quite often (somehow) and is beleivable as being a knockout blow....

it all depends on who is doing the move, give a big person an ordinary move like mark henrys slam, used by sum1 his size it would be effective, but sum1 like rey doing a slash off the top rope is fuckin ridiculous, maybe on another person his size, but being able to beat sum1 big shows size, i mean come on, itd be like letting a toddler hit u n pretending itd hurt

worst: 619, F-U, any sleeper hold, batistas spinebuster, the f-5, reality check, peoples elbow took way to long, same with worm,kizzarnys ddt, i dunno theres so many dodgey ones lol

the best finishers are ones that look good and ones thatd actually hurt, depending who the wrestler is that does it

best: regals running knee, ortons punt, edges spear,samoan spike, the test drive, test big boot, sweet chin music cm punks gts when he does it right, also his pepsi plunge that wwe should let him do, it shits over the pedigree

just bcoz these are one hit kos most of the time doesnt make them bad, it just means they are effective and thats wat a finisher is sposed to be, the last move of a match

well any finsher is not point less its how u identify a wrestler tommy dreamer uses the ddt so does every one else but tommy does it so well it finishes his oppent but getting back on track the most pointless finisher has to be the kali chop or kolifs little dance i mean come on if u dace then double leg drop ur oppent it seems a little lame but like i said before its not really pointless

The stunner is a pointless finisher i mean basically you opponent has to fall on there knee

Several reasons why it's not:

# The Stunner is one of the most over moves of all time.

# It could come from anywhere.

# Easily reversed.

# It had a kick before the Stunner happened, so you knew it was coming.

I don't see how any finishing moves are pointless. The People's Elbow looked silly, but people loved it. The Atomic Legdrop would hurt like shit if you really think about it. How would you like Umaga to drive his thumb into your neck? etc.

The stunner is a pointless finisher i mean basically you opponent has to fall on there knee

I strongly disagree.

The Stunner is THE most over finisiher in wrestling history. Look on WWE.com and in their top 25 devastating finishers of all time they have the stunner as no1 with the tombstone as no2 (personally I feel that Tombstone should be no1 and stunner no2, as fewer people have kicked out of it then the stunner).

I mean during Austin's phenomonal run in the late 90's it was sold as completely and utterly deadly and could come from nowere, like Orton's RKO of today. It doesnt matter that it doesnt hurt a jot in real life, it looks devastating, like the victim's jaw was destroyed, to the untrained eye and really, really cool.

Also many wrestlers, such as JBL and Santino (and Benoit) dont drop to their knees to sell it but rather just let the momentum bend them forward onto Austin's shoulder blade.

The Stunner is the best finisher in WWE history imo. Even the name is awesome. 'STUNNER! AUSTIN GOT THE STUNNER! ITS OVER!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHcFEnpB0tw&feature=related

I've probably said this like a Milion times but I have the urge to tell this again. There is one really big pointless finisher the frikking 619! This move is so frikking horrible and I have to explain it to all of you thoroughly. This move is such a stupid move because it literaly kills a match. Argh! I have to tell you the good reasons:

This move is impossible to sell. I mean have you ever taken a good look at Mysterio? he's a small wrestler that faces big guys. That's the first thing that doesn't make sense. Now for the second thing is how he wins most of his matches. He gets beaten up and flies around but then after some miracle he manages to get a wrestler 200+ weight between the ropes. I mean how the fuck does that happen?? Anyways afterwards he flies again and lands some double kick. Then his opponent flies to the back (LOL) and Mysterio pinns him. There is just so much wrong with this move I dont know where to begin. Believe me when I say that NO ONE can sell this to make it believable. Not even Evan Bourne who is the same weight as Mysterio made this move look real. I mean even if a cruiserweight cant sell this move what possible chance do you have that someone like Kane or Batista or Knox is able to sell this piece of shit?? It's simple kills the match and it's so frustrating because moves like these are hurting the business. It's not realistic, looks incredibly fake, I mean not even John Fuckin Cena could sell this crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back