Pointless Finishers

Are you kidding me, edge is one of the best when doing a spear, he has perfected the move and his spears look deadly as in they could finish someone of, his spears look way better then the pathetic ones boretista pulls of..
Anyway the worst finisher right now for me would have to be the 619.. so stupid.. like honestly like someone else said, myterio's matches are the only ones where someone lands on the ropes like that, its just not believable.

I'm going to go with the Walls of Jericho. The title of the thread is pointless finishers. When was the last time Jericho won a match with this move? It's a standard Boston Crab. How can it be considered a finishing move when it never finishes a match? Using this version of a crab as a heel is pointless. Give him the Liontamer and it would at least look a lot better.

wow. anybody have thing for cena? lets generalize this is "pointless finishers" the fu/throwback/attitude adjuster or whatever is this week is POINTLESS. i put it up there with the warriors press slam splash combo, actually i put it under it, this guy looks way too tough for this move, why not a full nelson slam or a jack hammer. here's the real question who has a better finisher john cena or beth pheonix. BETH PHEONIX. good we're making progress, you shouldn't be the top star in the mens divison and have a finisher better suited for the womens division. if this was maria's finnisher i'ld be wowed, if this is the best that cena can do im not impressed. besides this was in retaliation to the f5 one of the best finishers i've ever seen, not to be out done, a FIREMANS carry? it's a firemans carry. be honest. be a fan but just say it sucks.

Cena's move (whateever they are calling it today) is NOT a DVD! A DVD drives the head, neck, and shoulders to the mat. All Cena does is flip you onto your back, bascially a standing fireman's carry. One looks a ton better than the other.

I'm pretty sure I said the SAME THING 30 minutes before...does nobody read the posts???

Beth Phoenix has a sick finisher, but that's a finisher suited only for the women's division, imagine a guy trying to do that?? lol

Well, two moves stand out for me.

The first has to be the People's Elbow. I will use this promo from Mankind as my evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iw0lVzeF_g

Anytime a wrestler can break kayfabe just to describe how terrible of a finisher your move is, it has to be bad. Granted, Mick was known for making smark references (his snipe that Al Snow doesn't sell chairs, etc.) But for God sake, when Mick calls out your finisher in a promo, it has to be bad.

And the second is only bad... Because I have no idea what it is. That is Santino Marella's finisher. Think about it, have you EVER seen his finisher? Like, EVER? I'll let you think about it for a second.............

You done? The fact is, Santino is never going to be able to show his finisher, whatever it may be, because the WWE isn't going to screw up this Comedy Gold they have with Santino, I have to give it to him. Some time of finisher is better than no finisher.

Worst finishers of all time? The Hogan Leg Drop. watch it sometime...his leg never even touches the guy. Second..the worm. absolute joke. Third, Peoples elbow...dumb dumb dumb. Forth, Camel Clutch by anyone. A three year old can figure out how to get out of this one..mine DID. A hint..take your arms off the guys thighs...escaped!!! Sixth The Pedigree. If I were put in this, the first thing I do is drop to my knees...not stand up! Seventh would be the Big Show punch. Oh don't get me wrong..if he REALLY hit most anyone they would be down. As a finisher however the opponent has time for a 2 week vacation before it finally connects. First time I saw it I would have sworn it was slow motion. And finally number 8 Cena's Fu adjuster whatever the hell he calls it this week. Absolutely lame and would be completely ineffective in a real confrontation.

I have noticed a pattern...the BIGGEST names in the industry seem to be the worst AT this industry...go figure. Thanks again Vince

The most pointless finishers are the ones that complete kill an entire's match worth of storytelling, for a single move. So, any finisher that is an automatic "death blow" is stupid. A couple that come to mind include CM Punk's "GTS", Chris Jericho's "Codebreaker", Orton's "RKO", etc. Any finisher that is the automatic match end is silly to me.

The thing with the pedigree is you cant get on ur knees cuz HHH is holding ur arms up high disabling u from getting on ur knees

Here is how the pedigree works. He picks you up..puts your head down between his legs. He grabs one arm, THEN the second one...looks around for a bit and then slam.
His set up is way too slow...simply not believable in my opinion. Think of GREAT finishing moves. they either come out of no where (stone cold stunner) or they are a submission move the opponent is fighting tooth and nail not to get put into.

The most pointless finishers are the ones that complete kill an entire's match worth of storytelling, for a single move. So, any finisher that is an automatic "death blow" is stupid. A couple that come to mind include CM Punk's "GTS", Chris Jericho's "Codebreaker", Orton's "RKO", etc. Any finisher that is the automatic match end is silly to me.

But isn't that the PURPOSE of a finisher? To end the match? Otherwise its just another move..nothing more.

But isn't that the PURPOSE of a finisher? To end the match? Otherwise its just another move..nothing more.
No, that's what finishers have turned into. What they SHOULD be is little more than a worker's signature move, which if done early in a match, wouldn't have as much of an effect. Take Randy Savage's elbow drop. It wasn't the top rope elbow that beat people. Savage beat them. The Elbow Drop was just the coup de grâce.

So, no, that's NOT what a finishing move is supposed to be, but rather what it has (foolishly, in my opinion), turned into.

Earthquake's finisher...think about it...he jumped around the guy before running off the ropes, wouldn't that just wake the guy up?? Or at least make him aware of the situation???

No, that's what finishers have turned into. What they SHOULD be is little more than a worker's signature move, which if done early in a match, wouldn't have as much of an effect. Take Randy Savage's elbow drop. It wasn't the top rope elbow that beat people. Savage beat them. The Elbow Drop was just the coup de grâce.

So, no, that's NOT what a finishing move is supposed to be, but rather what it has (foolishly, in my opinion), turned into.

Dude, you make absolutely no sense...A finisher is a finishing move, a move that the match is built up to end on no matter how long into the match is, could be 20 min or 10 seconds, the guys break each other down to get to the point to where they can use the move to FINISH the other guy off with...your logic has no validity and makes no sense, it's just a stupid opinion

Dude, you make absolutely no sense...A finisher is a finishing move, a move that the match is built up to end on no matter how long into the match is, could be 20 min or 10 seconds, the guys break each other down to get to the point to where they can use the move to FINISH the other guy off with...your logic has no validity and makes no sense, it's just a stupid opinion
False. A finisher, as it is determined today, is a complete bastardization of what they used to be. Think of some of the old school finishers. Hogan's Leg Drop, the Iron Claw by the Von Erich's, Randy Savage's Top Rope Elbow Drop, the Piledriver (used by many people), the Bionic Elbow of Dusty Rhodes, etc. Finishers WEREN'T the massive moves they are made out to be today. And it was for the better, as finishers today are psychology's worst nightmare.

So, I make perfect sense, and you don't understand how finishers have been ridiculous in their application.

Ill just say some of the bullshit finishers some people in the WWe today have, there are quite a few:

Ted DiBiase- THE BIGGEST RUSSIAN LEG SWEEP IN CAPTIVITY. I dont think anyone has mentioned this guys move which is an absolute joke. Puts him in the million dollar dream then falls back, O SHIT its over now.......come on, can u actually picture him winning a title or a main event match with that move. Ill answer for u, NO u cant.

MVP- the playmaker was ridiculous. It was sloppy, awkward and stupid. It looked dumb and fake and was the very definition of pointless. Since this moved sucked so much MVP switched to this drive by kick shit which is a boot, what a great move...

The Brian Kendrick- i dont care what number it is, sliced bread is bad. It is so obviously assisted by the opponent that its painful to watch. It is such an incredibly fake move and it looks ridiculous when Kendrick puts people away with it.

Edge- edge's finisher is a lame tackle. He hits his opponent with zero force and apparently thats all it takes to put them away. It is not a believable finisher for a guy like Edge. When Goldberg speared someone he ran them the fuck over, they were absolutely destroyed becuase he was an animal. And Goldberg didnt even end the match with the spear, he picked up his opponents dead ass and then jackhammered them to make sure they were finished, and now heres edge using a lame tackle to finish people. What the fuck is that.

Thats all i can think off for now but im sure there are several more.

Here's one for you....Cody Rhodes' DDT. How can that possibly be a finisher? EVERONE DOES A DDT AT SOME POINT IN THIER CAREERS!!!! But then again, maybe it runs in the family: Dusty won matches with an elbow to the head, and Goldust kicks people in the balls when the ref isn't looking? How unrealistic is that?

You are entitled to your opinion fella, but, as one person has already pointed out, most would disagree with you here. A finisher out of nowhere is the better finisher. It is more believable.

Hogan's leg drop for example, would people just lie there waiting for a leg to hit them? no. They are unable to move you say? Well if so, pin them beforehand. The RKO and the Codebreaker are two of the better finishers around. The best finisher of all time, if you were to ask in a poll, would end up being the stone cold stunner. A move that can be hit anytime, anyplace, to anyone.

But as I said, you may have a different opinion on what makes a finisher, so fair play mate.

Here's one for you....Cody Rhodes' DDT. How can that possibly be a finisher? EVERONE DOES A DDT AT SOME POINT IN THIER CAREERS!!!! But then again, maybe it runs in the family: Dusty won matches with an elbow to the head, and Goldust kicks people in the balls when the ref isn't looking? How unrealistic is that?
Unrealistic? A DDT can break people's necks, I've seen it happen in person. A DDT is one of the most realistic finishers there is, as it requires ZERO help from the opponent, and could be potentially deadly.

See, THIS is what I'm talking about, when I talk about the bastardization of finishers.

Unrealistic? A DDT can break people's necks, I've seen it happen in person. A DDT is one of the most realistic finishers there is, as it requires ZERO help from the opponent, and could be potentially deadly.

See, THIS is what I'm talking about, when I talk about the bastardization of finishers.

Couldn't agree more, Slyfox.

I think an effective finisher today highlights the wrestler, almost to the point of burying the other one. A finisher like that one for me makes no sense. One that comes to mind for me is the pedigree. It seems like a move that is just epic doom.

But, there are some moves that are flat out ridiculous in how they're done. The leg drop for Hogan works because it's effective. The People's Elbow leaves me to think that either the Rock's offense means the death or that today's wrestlers are weak.

You are entitled to your opinion fella, but, as one person has already pointed out, most would disagree with you here. A finisher out of nowhere is the better finisher. It is more believable.
It's more believable? Then why the fuck doesn't the person try to use it earlier in the match? That's where it's completely stupid. If the Tombstone Piledriver is so devastating, how come Undertaker doesn't use it sooner? Is he just an idiot? How come HBK only goes for SCM after several minutes in the match, and he does his comeback routine? If SCM is so devastating, shouldn't he try it earlier in the match? That's what is so ridiculous about knockout devastating finishers. It completely ruins the whole psychology of a match, which is to beat an opponent down so he can't get up before the 3 count.

Hogan's leg drop for example, would people just lie there waiting for a leg to hit them? no.
Of course not. But, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Hogan's leg drop wasn't a devastating move, it was a move that was a signature. The opponent was basically incapacitated and Hogan's leg drop was just the icing on the cake. That's the way finishers SHOULD be.

Well if so, pin them beforehand.
Which shows what I'm saying has completely gone over your head.

The RKO and the Codebreaker are two of the better finishers around. The best finisher of all time, if you were to ask in a poll, would end up being the stone cold stunner. A move that can be hit anytime, anyplace, to anyone.
And a move that Austin never tried until several minutes into a match. Austin must be the stupidest wrestler in the history of the business.

It's more believable? Then why the fuck doesn't the person try to use it earlier in the match? That's where it's completely stupid. If the Tombstone Piledriver is so devastating, how come Undertaker doesn't use it sooner? Is he just an idiot? How come HBK only goes for SCM after several minutes in the match, and he does his comeback routine? If SCM is so devastating, shouldn't he try it earlier in the match? That's what is so ridiculous about knockout devastating finishers. It completely ruins the whole psychology of a match, which is to beat an opponent down so he can't get up before the 3 count.

Of course not. But, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Hogan's leg drop wasn't a devastating move, it was a move that was a signature. The opponent was basically incapacitated and Hogan's leg drop was just the icing on the cake. That's the way finishers SHOULD be.

Which shows what I'm saying has completely gone over your head.

And a move that Austin never tried until several minutes into a match. Austin must be the stupidest wrestler in the history of the business.

I understand you want a bit of showmanship to the moves, get the crowd behind you as you hit the move, and I like them too, I loved the Rock's set up to the People's Elbow, even if the end was nothing but an elbow dropped to the stomach.

But, truth be told, it all depends on personal opinion. You may love the scoor slam into the leg drop or the spinebuster into the people's elbow, and that is fair enough, but you can argue there is more excitement behind a match where someone looks on the verge of losing but suddenly hits their big move and picks up the win.

Take for example Jeff Hardy vs Randy Orton from the 2008 Royal Rumble. Jeff goes for the twist of fate, you are thinking he is on the verge of finally winning that title, but no he's been pinned cos Orton reversed it into the RKO. It puts more suspense into the final sequence.

And now and again WWE does showcase examples of "out of nowhere" finishers being hit early. Survivor Series 06 (HBK SCW on Knox in the first minute) RAW 06 (DX vs Highlanders HBK SCW first minute whilst HHH has other distracted) Survivor Series 08 (Punk GTS on Regal first minute). If you expect it to happen more, then you are just over analysing an entertainment show that is trying to put on a spectacle.

In a perfect world everyone would have two finishers. The out of nowhere finisher and the big, getting the crowd involved finisher. The best example of this is the Rock with the People's elbow and the Rock Bottom.

Worst - 1. Funaki; 2. Ted D. 3. Big Show 4. Tommy Dreamer 5. Edge 6. Kozlov 7. Cena (definately) 8. Umaga (should have actually used the modified black hole slam he does as finisher 9. Kofi Kingston 10. DJ Gabriel 11. Matt Hardy, now that he is heel, he desperately needs another finisher and theme song. 12. Ricky Ortiz. (Damn WWE guys suck, I think TNA does a better job with wrestling technique. Personally)

Best - Randy Orton's RKO, Carlito's backstabber, Regal's running knee, Morrison's moonlight drive, Mike Knox, Shawn Michael's Superkick.

Notes: 1. Cody Rhodes no longer does the DDT, he has another move now.
2. Which move is better, Canadian Destroyer or RKO?

I saw your comment about Hogan, and the piledriver, and the finishers of old, and can't help but laugh at you.

Finishers are called "finishers", because they finish a match. All of the moves you listed, were the last move of the match. When Hogan hit the big boot and the leg drop, you knew it was over. The same for Macho Man's elbow. Warrior's gorilla press. Slaughter's cobra clutch. Flair's figure four.

The reason they were exciting, was because you knew it was over. It was a big move, it was flashy, and you KNEW that there was no way to kick out of it, or not submit. That's why it was huge to kick out of a finisher for so long. If we knew that Hogan's leg drop wasn't the end, we wouldn't get excited over it. How great would Flair's figure four, or Hitman's sharpshooter be, if we knew that the person was going to get out most of the time?

Finishers today ARE NOT the end-all of matches, and that's part of the reaosn I'm not as interested as I used to be. I know that when HBK hits Sweet Chin Music, there's a good chance the person will kick out. I know that when Orton goes for the RKO, he's going to get shoved into a turnbuckle. I wish we could have one finisher where it was "lights out" when it connected.

False. A finisher, as it is determined today, is a complete bastardization of what they used to be. Think of some of the old school finishers. Hogan's Leg Drop, the Iron Claw by the Von Erich's, Randy Savage's Top Rope Elbow Drop, the Piledriver (used by many people), the Bionic Elbow of Dusty Rhodes, etc. Finishers WEREN'T the massive moves they are made out to be today. And it was for the better, as finishers today are psychology's worst nightmare.

So, I make perfect sense, and you don't understand how finishers have been ridiculous in their application.

First of all, you just contradicted yourself saying that they were "finishers" of the past because you didn't call them finishers before, you called them signatures, and you obviously make no sense because I wasn't the first person to point out your flawed statements...they're more devistating now because nobody is gonna believe that a leg drop can beat a 275 lb guy, even after he ran into your foot, that's why they have the more powerful finishers today, not bastardized, better, much much much better, and more entertaining, so again, you make no sense, now go ahead, think real hard of a response that will make even less sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back