*OFFICIAL* Kofi Kingston Thread

I haven't been a fan of Raw for a while now, but the potential this feud has has me really excited about the show. As long as WWE doesn't fuck it up, like they usually do, then we very well be witnessing the feud of the year here with these two. The matches will undoubtedly be awesome, and Kofi showed tonight just how great he is on the mic. Honest to God, the man seemed to have legit hatred for Orton, something of which Cena and HHH could not pull off. Whenever Cena and HHH gets "mad" at someone, it seems so forced and 90% of the time there's a joke thrown in the promo somewhere to make a couple of morons in the audience chuckle. But there was none of that shit tonight, and thank goodness... because this is the type of thing WWE really needs to rear their product back to.

I completely agree with X. I've always sensed the talent in Kofi, but it was absolutely impossible to take this man seriously, with his constant smile, dumb accent, and the lame shit he did in the ring; you know... that "Bop! Bop! Bop!" crap. I thought this was going to be another case of WWE wasting something special just because they wanted some kiddie shit.

But fortunately... it looks like I was wrong. WWE has decided to let Kofi be himself, and obviously that's a bad motherfucker. I just hope they let him look strong against Orton (I'm optimistic they will), because if they don't... he'll go back to the mid-card and feud with guys for only a couple of weeks, just to move to something else, and two months later feud with the same person he feuded with for those couple of weeks two months before. Kofi FINALLY got something decent to work with, and he took full advantage of it.

So many ******s in the IWC who like to suck Vince's dick always preach that dumb shit how wrestlers some people know have talent, but don't get pushed, is all because of that particular wrestler's inability to get over (Kendrick and Cabana come to mind), but in actuality.... most wrestlers don't get a really good opportunity to show what they have to offer. They get stuck with some lame ass gimmick like Kofi did, and never get an opportunity to showcase their ability. Well, luckily Kofi got an opportunity, and look at what he did with it. Hopefully WWE starts giving more guys chances like that, because there's plenty of talent on the WWE roster that can contribute to the company if they were just given something decent to work with.

Reactions: X
I've always been a fan of Kofi Kingston, he is amazing in the ring, but he had no personality except for his big smile and going BOOM BOOM BOOM.

After watching Raw last night, that all changed, they allowed him to show a lot of his personality and character which I hope will continue. If they can allow his personality to grow I can actually see him as a main eventer.

I am holding judgment until I see RAW for myself tomorrow - However I feel that Kofi has a great future within the WWE one way or another and if these promos are anything like what people are saying...then I look forward to RAW (which is a rarity these days)

Just My Opinion

I think that Kofi has a bright future and I look forward to the Australian showing of this weeks raw to appraise his performance for myself. Full steam ahead on the Jamaican sensation!!

Just My Opinion

I was also very impressed with the car incident and how it went down. He even saved himself when he about fell after throwing the paint. I have always like Kofi and I'm sure it's positive it will be him and Orton at Survivor Series. I think they could put on a great match.

That was cool to see Kofi get a little more face time last night. It seems like he will feud with Orton for a bit, which should elevate him even further. He's definitely one of the best in ring performers and it will be cool to see him get more important singles matches at ppv's.

We don't need ten different Kofi Kingston threads on the same exact topic. Check to make sure your topic hasn't already been created next time please.

Merged.

I was impressed last night, but holy shit...He does one great segment, and all of a sudden he's got about 20 threads on him...

I heard he did well on the PPV, and tuned into RAW last night, for the first time in a long time. It started off bad, with the guest host almost calling him Kofi Johnson, but he did good in his match, and then the segment later in the show was great. You could tell Randy loved that car, and Kofi made sure to demolish it the best way possible. I was hoping that keying it wouldn't be all he did, and he impressed me. Smashing in the hood and windshield, and then dumping the paint all over the car was great to watch.

He's finally got some character, and he wasn't bad for what he had to say, but I'll have to see it a little more consistently from him before calling him a future main eventer. The pieces seem to be in place though.

i'm happy with his push.. i hope he destroys orton and gets the WWE championship..

Have we ever had a black WWE or WH champ? im just asking cuz idk

KOFI!!! i was on the edge of my couch when Kofi came up on that titantron and trashed ortons car. its just wat kofi needed. how do you get yourself notcied and more importantly OVER?? you go after the baddest MoFo on the block. and that'll be orton. and boy oh boy did kofi ever go at him. not only did he trash his car but he put so much passion into the dialogue. he made me laugh, he made me excited and he made me think oh god....orton's gonna kill him. and i am now officially excited for a kofi and orton fued. big ups to kofi kingston...hope he gets only bigger from here.

And since rock was really more Samoan than black there hasn't been a true African champion.

wait....how the hell is the rock more samoan the black?? his father is 100% black and his mother is 100%. that makes him half black and half samoan. so how the hell is he more samoan than black. sorry buddy the rock has black in him therefore he is black and he held the wwe title before so yea a black man has held it before. i love how people are so ignorant when it comes to race and culture :)

I was marking out when he beat Jericho.

I came out of my seat when Orton attacked him (knowing that would start a feud).

and i marked out like a 12 year old when he did the car thing.

I dig the longer dreads-i think they make him more viable as a main eventer. I think he does needs new ring gear, but that's it. I love "S.O.S." as entrance music, and the S.O.S. signature move and the Trouble in Paradise finisher. But look for those two to get inverted, the Trouble in Paradise as the siggy, and the S.O.S. as the finisher. And for him to end the move in Impact, as opposed to a pin.

Yeah dude...Kofi as main eventer + Sheamus on raw + halfway decent main event (fun to watch anyway)= best Raw I've seen all year.

Ok, for the record, I am just as excited about Kofi finally developing a personality as the next guy...but lets not be prisoners of the moment. Can this guy really step in the ring with the likes of Cena, Orton or HHH and be considered a seriously viable threat? Not in my mind. I agree he worked the promo on RAW impressively but, this is the same guy that just lost to The Miz fair and square for the US title a few weeks back (and I also am a Miz fan so dont think I am bashing him). i am just saying keep in perspective that at one time even Shelton Benjamin fueded with and beat HHH 3 times in a row and look what has become of him...not much but mediocrity. Dont be suprised if this just turns out to be a way to refresh Orton and keep him away from the title for a few months before he ultimately regains it.

Seriously? You sound like you aren't aware that the WWE scripts these things. You didn't even mention that Shelton Benjamin never won clean over HHH.

Kofi dropped the US title for a reason. Since losing the title, he was a part of the RAW team on Bragging Rights. The set up for the Orton/Kofi feud was superb. You can't deny that. The car scene? My chin was on the floor. Although we've seen other people's cars destroyed in the history of WWE, I don't think I've ever been so astounded to see this destruction happen. I mean... quiet Kofi? The baby face? Going crazy on Randy Orton's car? WHAT? I still can't believe that it happened. Kofi has a crazy side now! Orton's been crazy for a while now. This is going to be crazy good if they script it properly. NO CENA AT ALL PLEASE. Not as a ref, not as a tag partner, NO NO NO. They've already set it up to where there'll most likely be a 3 on 3 tag match, MVP & Mark Henry & Kofi vs. Legacy.

Everyone should be excited. A mid-carder is finally going to MAKE IT. When's the last time that happened?

I was going to start a Kofi thread after his performance last night but I got beaten to it! Oh well...

I like what creative is doing with Kofi right now. Love it. We are going to see so many more layers of Kofi's character come out now that he is allowed to actually speak (and not in that obvious horrible Jamaican accent). It will take some time but he will be able to raise his stock on the mic. I just think he should make some enhancements to his gimmick and maybe new entrance music to get him a little more over as force in the ME level. Notice during the race car segment he wore normal street clothes and tennis shoes, he looked legit, he had a good look. My opinion is that in order for him to get taken seriously, he has to drop the Jamaican gimmick altogether, hell he was allowed to drop the accent. Creative is going full throttle in terms of bringing him along. I like that he's allowed to show more aggression and emotion, no longer has to show forced happiness with the ear-to-ear smile even though he just got his ass kicked in a match. I really thought for awhile that Kofi was going to get lost in the proverbial mid-card shuffle, but this feud with Randy Orton is going to make or break him in terms of knowing if he is indeed ready for the main-event status.

I hope Kofi makes it. Gawd knows the WWE needs fresh faces in the ME scene right now. Watch out people, I think Vince is going to strap a rocket to Kofi's ass!.. just back up when it takes off! If he puts on the showing of his life during this feud, there is nowhere to go but up. Go Kofi!

Btw... his match last night with Jericho kinda proved in a lot of ways that he is ready. That was a hell of match and I was glad to see Jericho put him over and make Kofi look extremely strong in the process. The win gives him an awful lot of momentum heading towards his showdown with Orton.

I like what creative is doing with Kofi right now. Love it. We are going to see so many more layers of Kofi's character come out now that he is allowed to actually speak (and not in that obvious horrible Jamaican accent). It will take some time but he will be able to raise his stock on the mic. I just think he should make some enhancements to his gimmick and maybe new entrance music to get him a little more over as force in the ME level. Notice during the race car segment he wore normal street clothes and tennis shoes, he looked legit, he had a good look. My opinion is that in order for him to get taken seriously, he has to drop the Jamaican gimmick altogether, hell he was allowed to drop the accent. Creative is going full throttle in terms of bringing him along. I like that he's allowed to show more aggression and emotion, no longer has to show forced happiness with the ear-to-ear smile even though he just got his ass kicked in a match. I really thought for awhile that Kofi was going to get lost in the proverbial mid-card shuffle, but this feud with Randy Orton is going to make or break him in terms of knowing if he is indeed ready for the main-event status.

I hope Kofi makes it. Gawd knows the WWE needs fresh faces in the ME scene right now. Watch out people, I think Vince is going to strap a rocket to Kofi's ass!.. just back up when it takes off! If he puts on the showing of his life during this feud, there is nowhere to go but up. Go Kofi!

Btw... his match last night with Jericho kinda proved in a lot of ways that he is ready. That was a hell of match and I was glad to see Jericho put him over and make Kofi look extremely strong in the process. The win gives him an awful lot of momentum heading towards his showdown with Orton.

Kofi's promo last night was one of the best I've seen in recent memory. The guys got talent in the ring and he is proving he has got the talent on the mic. Like you said, they need him to transition from a happy-go-lucky guy to a serious fighter. I just hope that this actually turns into a feud instead of what happened with MVP.

Totally agree with the above. I thought Kofi was fantastic on RAW last night and it suprised the hell out of me, I thought for a long time that this guy was going nowhere fast.

I think he needs to drop the Jamaican gimmick completely (i.e. theme song and maybe even change his last name) and once that is done I think he can go far.

I like what creative is doing with Kofi right now. Love it. We are going to see so many more layers of Kofi's character come out now that he is allowed to actually speak (and not in that obvious horrible Jamaican accent). It will take some time but he will be able to raise his stock on the mic. I just think he should make some enhancements to his gimmick and maybe new entrance music to get him a little more over as force in the ME level. Notice during the race car segment he wore normal street clothes and tennis shoes, he looked legit, he had a good look. My opinion is that in order for him to get taken seriously, he has to drop the Jamaican gimmick altogether, hell he was allowed to drop the accent.

Up until last night, I HATED Kofi Kingston. I always knew that unless they broadened his character on television, allowed him to speak in a normal voice, wiped the smile off his face, and allowed part of himself to come out, he would go nowhere in the WWE. But, after the promo he cut last night on Randy Orton and being allowed to show personality during other interviews, I think Kofi Kingston has finally found something that is required of ALL professional wrestlers in order to get over in this business... a personality that fans can relate to. Congratulations Kofi, I'm officially a fan.

As for the boldfaced OP's comments above, I disagree that his music or character needs to change. The only thing he was missing was a normal personality. The WWE didn't allow him to come out of his shell.

In the past, wrestlers are well-documented to have gotten over by simply bringing a part of themselves out of their character. They take their character and put their own personal spin on it with the volume turned way up. Kofi has recently done this. Furthermore, his pyro, entrance music, and ring attire have gotten him this far... I think that changing any of this could severely affect his character.

If Kofi stays on this same path and the WWE doesn't try to change him any further, he's going straight to the moon.

Btw... his match last night with Jericho kinda proved in a lot of ways that he is ready...

C'mon now. Really? I loved Kofi's promo last night just as much as the next person, but a win over Jericho (which he's already had at NoC in 2008), and a super good promo and he's suddenly ready for the main event? False False False.

Kofi has a ways to go before he is in any serious contention for the big title picture. I love what Kofi is doing right now, but he needs the John Morrison treatment. I think he needs a solid year on Smackdown to build himself up even further. He's going to have a decent feud/match or two with Orton, but Orton will ultimately prevail there. Kofi will be booked strong, but Orton will still go over. Kofi's only problem on Raw is that there aren't really any heels above him except for Orton. Maybe we will see some HHH/HBK heel turn in time, but Orton is all Kofi's got right now. Big Show is also up there as well. Is he on Raw? WTF show is he on anymore? I dunno...

With Smackdown, Kofi can get some more solid wins over Jericho, Punk, and just run the table on the midcard stars. Just my opinion anyway.

Kofi is on his way to the main event no doubt, but he still has some more work to do aside from his great promo on Raw last night.

After seeing his performance last night, it makes me wonder why it has taken so long for us to hear anything of note from Kofi.

I have always been impressed by his in ring work but against Jericho I think he took it to a new level. He is certainly ready for a showdown with Orton from wrestling point of view.

Up until last night I was worried that the reason we had heard very little from Kofi was perhaps because he sucked something awful on the mic. However, in less than five minutes Kingston proved that he can talk and talk very well.

That segment with Orton and Legacy was one of, if not the, standout moment of what I thought was a very good edition of RAW. With such a good start to the Kofi/Orton feud, I hope that it doesn't turn into a glorified, squash just to keep Orton on top while he isn't battling for the title.

Up until last night, I HATED Kofi Kingston. I always knew that unless they broadened his character on television, allowed him to speak in a normal voice, wiped the smile off his face, and allowed part of himself to come out, he would go nowhere in the WWE. But, after the promo he cut last night on Randy Orton and being allowed to show personality during other interviews, I think Kofi Kingston has finally found something that is required of ALL professional wrestlers in order to get over in this business... a personality that fans can relate to. Congratulations Kofi, I'm officially a fan.

As for the boldfaced OP's comments above, I disagree that his music or character needs to change. The only thing he was missing was a normal personality. The WWE didn't allow him to come out of his shell.

In the past, wrestlers are well-documented to have gotten over by simply bringing a part of themselves out of their character. They take their character and put their own personal spin on it with the volume turned way up. Kofi has recently done this. Furthermore, his pyro, entrance music, and ring attire have gotten him this far... I think that changing any of this could severely affect his character.

If Kofi stays on this same path and the WWE doesn't try to change him any further, he's going straight to the moon.

100% agreeed. I dont think that Kofi needs a gimmick and name change...why can't he be successful having the name Kofi Kingston and coming out to Jamaican music? That thunder clap (boom, boom) is pretty much why he is popular up to last night, so why the hell would they take away his gimmick? The fake Jamaican accent was all they needed to take away cuz that was corny as hell.

About last night, I haven't seen a segment that good in WWE in a looooooongggg time. very unexpected and entertaining. I, along with many people here, didn't know that Kofi had that kind of charisma and mic skill. I didn't care much for Kofi that much b4 last night but now i'm becoming a fan. Now all we can do is hope that Kofi and Orton put on good, quality matches that see Kofi being pushed, and not hope that this is just a replay of that Orton/Carlito sham of a feud a couple years ago where Kofi becomes irrelevent

I love Kofi. I always have, but now that they allowed him to drop the accent and actually speak normally, I think it's fucking great. The WWE really needs to shove him right in the main event, or at least in a credible feud with Orton. He's hella over, he's talented in the ring, and after the promo last night on RAW his mic skills seem pretty solid, he about fell on his ass twice while on top of the car, but that's another story. I hope he doesn't end up like MVP, that'd be saddd..

Seriously, another Kofi thread? There are like twelve already, post in one of those. Stop creating new Kofi threads every ten minutes people, please.

Closed/merged.

AKA Kofi Kingston just impressed the hell out of me on Raw.

All he needs to do now is get rid of the dreadlocks and this kid is bondafide main event material.

Where do I even start here....what the hell are you talkin about, guy? What in the blue hell does dreadlocks have to do with being a main eventer? I dont know if you're saying he needs to revamp his style altogether, or if he needs to distance himself from the former Jamaincan gimmick...I dont know, but either way, it makes no sense. The dreads are fine. Booker T won the World title with dreadlocks, plus Kofi's dreadlocks gives him a unique look.

But yes, I definitely think Kofi is main event material. He always has been, its just that I thought it would take years but it might happen sooner than I thought. He too impressed me last night. I was initially against them getting rid of the Jamaican gimmick. I thought he was doing the gimmick well, plus he was very over. But now I think I understand because he has a lot more range now character wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back