*OFFICIAL* Kofi Kingston Thread

Yeah I'm excited for this feud as well. I think when this feud is over Kofi will be built up to either win a spot in the elimination chamber or possibly money in the bank should be interesting to see were this goes now that we can take kofi a lot more serious.

Kofi did a great job on Raw tonight, both in his match with Jericho and backstage with Orton's car. Hopefully, as others have said, he can make this push work and become a credible main eventer. I'm stated before in threads that if Kofi needs an extra boost into the main event scene then a Nation of Domination type faction could provide it. If you group Kofi, Mark Henry and MVP together being led by a returning Booker T then just think how powerful they could become. Booker would return as a main eventer immediately, Kofi and MVP only need that one defining feud each to push them to the top (Kofi's is here but MVP will have to wait) and Mark Henry works well in a babyface enforcer role.
I hope that the seeds have been planted with the MVP/Henry vs Legacy match on Raw tonight and the start of Kofi/Orton, both of which should lead to 6 man matches somewhere down the road. Although I have no idea how Booker would be introduced into the feud...

I love it! After all the crap we have to endure week after week, and even in this whole new watered down PG era, it is nice to see that I can still get excited about what is given to me from the WWE. The start of a new feud is always exciting because tonight, before they bury him and screw it up and yada yada yada, they made Kofi Kingston look like a star and someone who deserves to be starting a rivalry with Orton.

I agree 100%. Before tonight, I viewed Kofi as midcarder for life. Sure he has good matches, but his taunts tend to annoy. Add in the fact that he had a fake Jamaican accent, and that can only solidify my claim. And his matches have been solid lately, but still...

Then tonight happened. His match with Jericho was definately match of the night IMO, then to my surprise Randy Orton just took him out for no reason at all. Figured WWE would hold off til next week to continue a possible feud between the two, but they didn't. Kofi came on the tron and used HIS REAL VOICE. And I gotta tell you, that changed everything for me. I was able to take him seriously, and he went from never speaking at all, to putting on the promo of the night. And the pop was fantastic.

At this point, the only things I would add are a remixed entrance theme, new titantron, new ring attire, and BOOM, BOOM, BOOM! WWE has a new main eventer and a guy who I think could become the first black WWE Champion.

the thing is i have seen alot of "1 night greatness" lately. (Cody/Ted) Kofi is different. He has awsome ring skills. But the only way i see big titles in his future is if he gets an RVD like moveset. Lets face it, Vince doesnt give high flyers a chance. They dont get titles. Look at Rey. He is great and has been around 4 a while. He has 1 world title. RVD has a flyer/strong moveset. Kofi needs that

dude...are you new to this earth???
first black champ? what about Bobo Brazil? Ron Simmons??, the Rock?????? and Booker T???

make sure you know your history before you comment stupid things like that.

BYEE!!!

the thing is i have seen alot of "1 night greatness" lately. (Cody/Ted) Kofi is different. He has awsome ring skills. But the only way i see big titles in his future is if he gets an RVD like moveset. Lets face it, Vince doesnt give high flyers a chance. They dont get titles. Look at Rey. He is great and has been around 4 a while. He has 1 world title. RVD has a flyer/strong moveset. Kofi needs that

I don't think the fact that he's a bit of a high flyer is going to work against him. Vince realizes how over Kofi is with the crowds, so that will help. But plenty of World Champions were high flyers, Jericho started his career off as one of the best cruiserweights in the game.

Obviously I'm nt going to make any bold predictions about how Kofi will be winning world titles, but I just thought tonight was a serious step in the right direction to elevate Kofi to the upper midcard/main event scene. It's all on Vince's shoulders now to follow through with the promise of tonight. A Kofi-Orton feud would greatly help that.

I thought Kofi's promo was one of the best i have seen in a long time. This is gonna be a good feud, something fresh along with the swagger miz feud, raw is finally getting something new, now they just need to change the wwe title picture, enough of hhh, hbk, cena, n orton, need to let others step up.

This shocked me. I was expecting Cody and kofi but this I'd going to blow that feud out of the water! This elevates kofi, and he di a great job on the mic tonight and Jericho dis the honours in their match too. As I stated in a previous thread wwe is really doing a good job on ppv and raw in the recent weeks/months!

Ok, for the record, I am just as excited about Kofi finally developing a personality as the next guy...but lets not be prisoners of the moment. Can this guy really step in the ring with the likes of Cena, Orton or HHH and be considered a seriously viable threat? Not in my mind. I agree he worked the promo on RAW impressively but, this is the same guy that just lost to The Miz fair and square for the US title a few weeks back (and I also am a Miz fan so dont think I am bashing him). i am just saying keep in perspective that at one time even Shelton Benjamin fueded with and beat HHH 3 times in a row and look what has become of him...not much but mediocrity. Dont be suprised if this just turns out to be a way to refresh Orton and keep him away from the title for a few months before he ultimately regains it.

I don't think the fact that he's a bit of a high flyer is going to work against him. Vince realizes how over Kofi is with the crowds, so that will help. But plenty of World Champions were high flyers, Jericho started his career off as one of the best cruiserweights in the game.

Obviously I'm nt going to make any bold predictions about how Kofi will be winning world titles, but I just thought tonight was a serious step in the right direction to elevate Kofi to the upper midcard/main event scene. It's all on Vince's shoulders now to follow through with the promise of tonight. A Kofi-Orton feud would greatly help that.
I have one problem with that argument. How long was it since Jericho debuted? about 10 yrs if memory serves. I dont remember any recent WWE or World Champs of his style. It is true that Vince is pushing him and onlt time will tell where it goes.

I truely think he has potential

dude...are you new to this earth???
first black champ? what about Bobo Brazil? Ron Simmons??, the Rock?????? and Booker T???

make sure you know your history before you comment stupid things like that.

BYEE!!!

well the fact that bobo brazil was champion is completely irrelevant to the here and now as I believe he won the title in 1787 before wrestling was invented. Ron simmons was wcw champion and Booker was world heavyweight and wcw champion. That is a different title chain. And since rock was really more Samoan than black there hasn't been a true African champion. If kofi wins the title, then you have that Rey mysterio effect and introduce a new culture to wwe. I know Mexican wrestling was popular but Mexicanos were not truly interested in wwe til Rey won the belt.

As with the other responses, i agree 100% Kofi can and will be a main eventer one day! cuz that promo had full potential and it was long due that the wwe gave Kofi a great promo shot! to respond to a previous comment that was made, Kofi dosent need to cut off his dreads for nobody. Just keep up the good work and hopefully, one day he can take Cena's spotlight! WORD LIFE!! A-HA!

I was really impressed by Kofi too. Too bad The Guest hosts totally botched his name at the beginning but it was all good. That promo Kofi did reminded me of the pre attitude era when Austin threw the Rock's IC Title over the bridge into the river. That is how you start a feud. Kofi almost pulled a Shockmaster moment and fell when he was pouring the paint. Thankfully he gained his balance. He needs everything, a new gimmick, new music, new hair. Then he will really be a main eventer. I'm glad WWE decided the give him a chance instead of losing him in the midcard shuffle. I think we will see great things from Kofi if everything is done right. Kofi Johnson I mean Kingston, who knew?

well the fact that bobo brazil was champion is completely irrelevant to the here and now as I believe he won the title in 1787 before wrestling was invented. Ron simmons was wcw champion and Booker was world heavyweight and wcw champion. That is a different title chain. And since rock was really more Samoan than black there hasn't been a true African champion. If kofi wins the title, then you have that Rey mysterio effect and introduce a new culture to wwe. I know Mexican wrestling was popular but Mexicanos were not truly interested in wwe til Rey won the belt.

How is that a different title chain? The fact that Booker T was a World Heavyweight Champion? The WHC is on the exact same level as the WWE title. Are you saying guys like the Undertaker, Triple H, Shawn Michaels aren't as credible as champions because they held the World Heavyweight title? The WCW title was in fact what is now known as the World Heavyweight Title.. The title made famous by guys like Ric Flair, Sting, and even Hulk Hogan? Ron Simmons being a former WCW champion does in fact put him on that same level. That being said, I'm not all that surprised that Vince is starting to push Kofi. I am surprised it's happening now as opposed to later. But we've been speculating for weeks and months on who the future of the company will be, and why not Kofi. I think he proved tonight, as X said, that he can get the job done if used correctly. He sounds so much better with his real accent. In my opinion, he can keep the dreads [sorry X], and he can lose the Matisyahu entrance music. I'm excited for him.

EDIT: The Rock is half black, and half samoan.

I was really impressed by Kofi too. Too bad The Guest hosts totally botched his name at the beginning but it was all good. That promo Kofi did reminded me of the pre attitude era when Austin threw the Rock's IC Title over the bridge into the river. That is how you start a feud. Kofi almost pulled a Shockmaster moment and fell when he was pouring the paint. Thankfully he gained his balance. He needs everything, a new gimmick, new music, new hair. Then he will really be a main eventer. I'm glad WWE decided the give him a chance instead of losing him in the midcard shuffle. I think we will see great things from Kofi if everything is done right. Kofi Johnson I mean Kingston, who knew?
lt also reminded me of the Rock/Sotne Cold moment. if they went a little farther with it, this moment could be a classic. And im with u with the new stuff. he is what i call a flash carder now. He has all the flash and people behind him, he just needs a... a make over so to speak. What he really needs is a new finisher. Trouble in Paradise is a near pin move not a 3 count move. its not that much more effective than the atomic leg drop!

Kofi Kingston has had a good year and a half. Since he came to Raw he has had a quality IC run, and one of the best US title runs in recent history. He has appeared during, but not wrestled in a main event. He was ambushed by Edge and interfered in a Cena and Orton match. He beat Jericho and now looks like he will get a chance to feud with Orton. If he goes over Orton, he will be on his way.

I know that he can perform with those guys, and it looks like it will be during Survivor Series. DX, Kofi, and someone else vs. Legacy and someone else. If he performs well, will he get to main event a PPV in 2010? I believe so. I think that he could be involved in a Triple Threat for the title later in the year. I think it's also a very real possibility the he wins MitB this year.

He will have another chance to shine and impress Vince in the EC, which I am going to assume he gets in this year because he got dicked out of it last year after going over Kane, and he has performed better in bigger matches, and gotten more over and learned to talk.

I am all with this feud but u have to put things into play. if its Kofi/orton at SS, Then Kofi SHOULD lose for the sake of orton being the main eventer that he is. Anouther thing is that The Trouble in Paradise needs to go more than the gimmick does. You have to realize that if people dont sell good,then the move looks like garbage. And it does. He should go for something better, that can get the crowd reved up. The Sweet Chin Music is great at getting the crowd excited, the little "Boom boom boom" thing Kofi does when he is waiting doesnt make me feel like OOOO THIS IS IT but more like here we go. Just get something original like a cloverleaf. Its like a sharpshooter but its different. If i could think right now i would name something better but U GET MY POINT

I have mixed feelings about this feud.

On the one hand, it does help to elevate Kofi Johnson, which is something he hasn't been able to do since coming to Raw.

On the other hand, this is pushing Orton far down the ladder. I understand that the Orton/Cena match at Bragging Rights was supposed to be the end of their feud...but to have Orton end up with Kofi, just one day after losing the Heavyweight title? Seems a little bit off.

Hopefully Orton will be able to help Mr. Johnson get to the next level....otherwise, this feud will have been completely pointless.

How is that a different title chain? The fact that Booker T was a World Heavyweight Champion? The WHC is on the exact same level as the WWE title.

The Rock is half black, and half samoan.

The WWE title and WHC title have two separate lineages. The WHC/Big gold belt had been held by Ron Simmons and Booker T. But in 50+ years the WWE title, the one that is traced back to Hogan, Backlund, Sammartino et al, has never been won by a black person.

I feel like the Rock is a special case. Yeah he's half black, but 1) he's not really a visible minority (at least not a visible black minority) and 2) the WWE never mentioned that half of his heritage. Sure they would mention that Rocky Johnson was his dad, but he and the announcers would only ever play up his Samoan heritage.

With Kofi, the WWE would be giving the title to a black guy, but with The Rock, in the WWE's and many fans' eyes at least, they gave the title to a samoan.

I think Kofi's time is now. They're basically seeing if they can sell Kofi as a guy who can be on the top of the card. It'll be an experiment with Orton and Kofi, with two completely contrasting styles. Orton being twisted and dark, while Kofi is cheerful and lighthearted. I can't wait for this match to take place in the near future...to see where he stacks up.

Kofi's beaten Jericho, and a few quality opponents along the way, so this will be a great way to determine if the WWE can indeed sell Kofi to the fan base. I hope he can... because a fresh face with talent's always a welcomed suprise.

i have always liked kingston and im glad to see him geting the push he deserves. i hope he continues to get pushed untill he wins mitb at wm26

I've seen some posts saying they should repackage Kofi and what not like cut his hair and change his music yada yada if the people in the WWE are smart they wont do that. His character is one that the kids love and us adult love watching in the ring. Kofi has to be a top merchandise seller to kids behind cena, rey and possibly still hardy. I think him dropping the Jamaican is fine but dont turn him totally away from the BOOM BOOM BOOM stuff... thats what got him over... i mean imagine if R-Truth got repackaged... it wouldnt work and Kofi how he is now works great...

Now I have always been high on Kofi, he is a great in ring worker and he provides more than Bourne with the high spots. Kofi can hit those spots and wrestle on the mat as welll. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a strong push up to Wrestlemania im talking a fued with randy going into 2010 a strong performance in the Rumble and a spot in the Elimination Chamber match at Now Way Out or Elimination Chamber ppv and i really think he is a front runner to win the MITB match at Mania and you can bank on that.

When I saw Kofi Kingston debut on the ECW roster, I thought to myself... this kid will one day become one of the men to be headlining events from the current crop of superstars. I admired his different in-ring style that seemed to work with many midcarders and his ability to somehow get over with the "Boom Boom Boom" chant. The only detriment that I saw with Kofi not heading into the main event anytime soon was his Jamacian character, multiple midcarder-type moves and lack of mic time.

Since his trade from the Dub to RAW... he has done wonders. His reign as tag team champion was okay I guess, but he did well to play the role of a champion. His midcard endeavours and helping elevate the division and the title were very successful and I commend him for doing so well, being very over with a character that has no direction and having no feud to work with. He toned down his moveset so it doesn't look as flashy but still effective and good-looking enough to catch people's attentions.

Now, since his attempts on the mic thus far have been pretty good, he is distancing himself away from the Jamacian gimmick and is having something to work with as a feud... all he needs to do is keep at his performance right now consistently and I wouldn't be suprised or against the idea of having him transcend into the Main Event someday. WWE signed a wonder and should use him to his fullest potential.

Wow I haven't watched Raw since mid-July, when I saw it live in St. Louis. I actually watched the whole episode tonight, and man, I picked the right night to tune in! Kofi is one of the most exciting guys the WWE has got, especially on Raw. He is probably my favorite guy on the roster too. The atmosphere was just so different on Raw tonight. It was great. This may not have been the best show ever, but it seemed as though a new leaf was turning, with the new potential fueds.

The only thing I can say I'm scared about is teasing us with this, and then making it a one-off thing. So many people in the IWC were calling for an MVP push earlier this year. People thought he could win MITB and he didn't. Then Raw drafted him, and it looked as though he might star on the big show. But no, he has been in the midcard the entire time. I remember when they teased a fued for the title between MVP and Randy Orton. It had so many people excited and talking. They then had a match a bit later, which was actually quite good. But since then... nothing. MVP hasn't really accomplished much of anything the past few months, at least compared to what he could have been accomplishing. The push was there, but maybe Vince thought he was a little too old. They even fucked up the wonderful potential fued between MVP and Swagger.

But alas, this isn't about MVP. This is about Kofi. I think this could really bring him to the top of the game. He's younger, more over, and more exciting to watch. Hopefully they don't have Orton burry him and let the thing be over. They need more talent to get pushed to the top, and he would be a perfect fit. Tonight was the first time I'd seen my favorite wrestler seem like anything more than a midcard champ at best. It made me so happy. I think Kofi can keep it goin'!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back