*OFFICIAL* Kofi Kingston Thread

I was hoping that maybe when he said the 'fi' part of Kofi that Jimmie Johnson(Kofi kinda sounds the same in a way) popped into is head and was still in his Nascar thinking..that's the only thing I could come up with

wow....sad, this thread will be heading to the Trash forum no doubt...

GL in life

Totes digging the attitude when you have a whopping 50 more posts than him, to a grand total of 64.

As for Kofi, I definately think they are trying to make him more approachable. In his Jamaican format, he would always be relegated to a cheery midcarder. This change into his regular speech and persona gives him an edge that he didn't have before, and while he may still be cheery, it definitely helps him. In a few weeks, he has gone from splashing in the midcard to breast-stroking his way up towards the main event. This feud with Legacy no doubt will put him that much closer.

I would think the change of the name to Johnson would be uneccessary as, lets face it, it's wrestling. Cool names that roll off the tongue stick much better. While Randy Orton and John Cena have gifted last names, Johnson would be far more generic than Kingston.

I would understand WWE wanting to change Kofi's last name because his gimmick and persona have changed which has aloud him to become or at least get into a rivalry with Legacy and become a Main Eventer, however like Mantaur Rodeo Clown said, Kofi Johnson doesn't exactly portray very well as it doesn't roll of the tongue very nicely.

I wouldn't be surprised to see in the next few weeks or months that Kofi's last name either gets changed or taken away all together but I wouldn't mind keeping Kingston either. I know I know, it goes back to his Jamaican gimmick but it does fit well "Kofi Kingston", it rolls, but its not really a Main Event name I guess...

So yeah Johnson is just to plain of a name especially with a character like Kofi, the name Kofi Johnson just sounds stupid, the host probably said it by accident thinking of Jimmy Johnson the guy thats kicking everyone's ass in Nascar the last 4 years.

I've been a HUGE Kofi fan from the day I saw him wrestle in DSW, and he was doing his promos there. I was an even bigger fan because of the fact that despite knowing he was from Ghana, him being announced from Jamaica finally gave ME (as a a fan born and raised in the Caribbean) to cheer for. The last time we had that was when Burchill was announced from St. Thomas, Virgin Islands (Which is where I'm from).

Now, couple things I want to comment on that I'm not sure is being brought up; 1. Why change his music? Keep in mind that the artist behind it (Collie Budz) isn't Jamaican either. His entrance theme is awesome, just because a change of location or dropping accent, I don't think it should be changed. The same goes for his hair. Again, the man is being announced from Ghana, West Africa, WHY change his hair? If you believe in the CHARACTER, what he looks like shouldn't matter. Kofi has the look and talent regardless...hell, look at Jericho and the many PHASES he went through when it came to his hair and beard and did NOT change his credibility as a believable runner. Kofi didn't grow his hair to fit the gimmick, as he already had started it prior to them running with it.

Finally, the name change isn't necessary either. Kofi Kingston regardless of the gimmick it started with has a ring to it, and given the ideas that have come across the table when it comes to WWE and its name changes..he's better off with it.

Nothing needs to be changed about the character IMO, except for allowing him (amongst alot of the other performers on the roster) to stop being pinned down by "their gimmicks" and let them cut loose, especially those that are capable of handling it.

As for Kofi, I definately think they are trying to make him more approachable. In his Jamaican format, he would always be relegated to a cheery midcarder.

The promos I saw for Kofi's original incarnation of the gimmick were somewhat similar to what Hassan was doing. Focused on the hardship of being from Jamaica, when all that everyone else saw was the Tourist Spots and the beaches. So I found it funny (though he's a natural at it) when he came in as a face, and I'm glad they're letting THAT Kofi from his DSW days show through on that RAW promo.

Is this a discussion around incorporating the slip up from a guest host? Is this speculation that the guest host who admitted that he couldn't remember his lines actually had insight to the angles that the WWE was going to produce and gave us a teaser by calling him Kofi Johnson? Is there nothing else in all of the WWE going on right now that this is the topic of discussion? I think we are pissing in the wind here as nothing about Kofi Johnson or changing his name has any substance in my opinion. They tweaked his gimmick just enough to where it's different but he's still the same person. Leave it at that.

I've been a HUGE Kofi fan from the day I saw him wrestle in DSW, and he was doing his promos there. I was an even bigger fan because of the fact that despite knowing he was from Ghana, him being announced from Jamaica finally gave ME (as a a fan born and raised in the Caribbean) to cheer for. The last time we had that was when Burchill was announced from St. Thomas, Virgin Islands (Which is where I'm from).

Now, couple things I want to comment on that I'm not sure is being brought up; 1. Why change his music? Keep in mind that the artist behind it (Collie Budz) isn't Jamaican either. His entrance theme is awesome, just because a change of location or dropping accent, I don't think it should be changed. The same goes for his hair. Again, the man is being announced from Ghana, West Africa, WHY change his hair? If you believe in the CHARACTER, what he looks like shouldn't matter. Kofi has the look and talent regardless...hell, look at Jericho and the many PHASES he went through when it came to his hair and beard and did NOT change his credibility as a believable runner. Kofi didn't grow his hair to fit the gimmick, as he already had started it prior to them running with it.

Finally, the name change isn't necessary either. Kofi Kingston regardless of the gimmick it started with has a ring to it, and given the ideas that have come across the table when it comes to WWE and its name changes..he's better off with it.

Nothing needs to be changed about the character IMO, except for allowing him (amongst alot of the other performers on the roster) to stop being pinned down by "their gimmicks" and let them cut loose, especially those that are capable of handling it.

Posted in wrong thread.

I think Kofi is great and his name is fine.... Maybe change his ring gear a bit to make him look more badass , even though the jamaican colors are cool.. Is it me, or did it look like Kofi vandalized a car once or twice before.. he seemed like a natural.... :lol:

Totes digging the attitude when you have a whopping 50 more posts than him, to a grand total of 64.

QUOTE]

thanks....i could care less how many posts someone has when someone is clearly starting a thread over complete nonsense

The guest host clearly slipped up and said the wrong name....not only that this thread is made on Friday???? 4 days after RAW?

please pal....people around here are a joke
this guy should be getting detroyed for a post like this

*lol@Tunney's apparition*

I think NASCAR drivers should be banned from hosting or even appearing on wrestling programs...well...except for Hermie.

Kofi is on his way to the top, not even a monologue flub by a guest host can stop him. They have already taken enough, Triple H has taken every opportunity to embarass him live for the gimmick drop. Leave Kingston or just call him Kofi, a la Carlito Carribean Cool.

My god, you guys! The name flub was simply that. It was an example of horrible guest hosts who know nothing about wrestling and can't even begin to pretend to know the names of the wrestlers. How in the world this thread turned in something about it being an angle to change Kofi's name, etc. is dumb.

Ok, for the record, I am just as excited about Kofi finally developing a personality as the next guy...but lets not be prisoners of the moment. Can this guy really step in the ring with the likes of Cena, Orton or HHH and be considered a seriously viable threat? Not in my mind. I agree he worked the promo on RAW impressively but, this is the same guy that just lost to The Miz fair and square for the US title a few weeks back (and I also am a Miz fan so dont think I am bashing him). i am just saying keep in perspective that at one time even Shelton Benjamin fueded with and beat HHH 3 times in a row and look what has become of him...not much but mediocrity. Dont be suprised if this just turns out to be a way to refresh Orton and keep him away from the title for a few months before he ultimately regains it.

You act like it was bad for him to lose to the Miz one time, over HOW many times he's beaten him, or came out with the win the 3-Way, 4-Way, etc type of matches. They're building up Miz as credible as well, as he is capable of alot and has been improving. A loss to Miz, lead to a run-in on a PPV main event, which lead to a victory over Jericho, which now finds him in a feud with Orton/Legacy. I'll opt to stay optimistic in any event.

I don't think Johnson works,and neither does his real last name (Sarkodie-mensah). However, Kofi Mensah could work, and since they've almost completely dropped the Jamaican gimmick, they might as well make it something else, as Kingston is a Jamaican city. Yeah, ManBearPig knows his shit.

It was just a slip, maybe even a failed "funny" reference to Jimmie Johnson. But give Kyle Busch a break, he's just a NASCAR driver, his acting skills are beyond awful. Plus, Jeremy Piven, a real actor, also slipped, so it's not much of a big deal.
BTW, I'm loving Kofi's push. I expect a lot from it.

Like many have said it was just a slipp. If u couldnt tell both the guest hosts this week werent very good when it came to talkin. Did anyone else notice the emphasis Randy Orton put on Kofis last name whn he was interviewed after he attacked him or right before he got tht car kofi destroyed later tht night(which ever u prefer)?:jason:

Are you guys seriously going this far beyond the point. You guys are saying that they are changing Kofi Kingston's name to Kofi Johnson and that he will change his colors and hair and probably get a new theme song and re-create his whole gimmick just because someone who probably has a terrible knowledge of current wwe (i bet he was a wwf fan when he was little) accidentally messed up a Jamaican's name on tv and in front of thousands of people, and he was probably most likely under so much pressure not to mess up or make a fool out of himself, Vince McMahon, and wwe.

Seriously, he just messed up a name on accident because I'm sure Kofi Kingston wasn't the easiest thing for him to remember when he was out there.

I did not bother reading all of your comments so if anyone thinks i spammed,well then i am sorry bit i did not
Kofi needs new music,titantron,he should have a wee bit RVD-like moveset(just like they did to Cm Punk)and he should wear tights and a t-shirt.If he ever goes main event,he should feud with Cena and Yoshi or Jericho and Cm Punk9it would be really fun)

I don`t think many people care if he "wrestles" because it`s not real(so get over it and stop sending me messages)

We'll see where this goes. If I had things my way, he'd get pummeled in this feud with Orton, turn heel, and become the next biggest threat to Cena's championship. Kingston has all the makings for a great heel: he's swarthy (can that word be used for Africans? I'm using it anyway), slim, agile, and most importantly, articulate. Give him a bit more sophistication and a mean streak...voila, your next big heel:

kos.jpg

Reactions: X
We'll see where this goes. If I had things my way, he'd get pummeled in this feud with Orton, turn heel, and become the next biggest threat to Cena's championship. Kingston has all the makings for a great heel: he's swarthy (can that word be used for Africans? I'm using it anyway), slim, agile, and most importantly, articulate. Give him a bit more sophistication and a mean streak...voila, your next big heel:

kos.jpg

Never heard it used so I don't have any problems with it.

Kofi turning heel would be great but they already have Legacy, Orton, Miz, and Swagger. HHH and HBK aren't going to be around forever and Cena is the only other megaface so with this "new" Kofi, I see him staying face for a while. He's already good in the ring so he just needs to be consistent with his promos and he'll be fine.

Great idea TDigs, but Vince isn't very keen on having sophisticated and intelligent black wrestlers, atleast not so far as history has shown us. I'd love to see Kofi turn heel at some point, blasting the WWE for sticking him with a "racist gimmick" and reducing him to a stereotype. Imagine a real black revolutionary character? The Nation was a great idea, but they didn't go all out with it like theyc ould have. I'd doubt they'd do anything like this now with the PG rating though. Vince doesn't like controversy anymore. Then again, with TNA looking like it wants to declare war with him, he may have no choice but to revert back to his old scandalous ways.

it was a error on live tv by Kyle Busch who forgot his line and screwed up everybody makes mistakes. As far a Kofi Kingston is concerned leave everything about him alone at least he's got a character. So this post should've never been done.

~NUFF SAID~

Kofi always get over with the crowd.He is a great worker,but he dropped the the accent so its pretty obvious that WWE wants to give kofi more mic time.

This was awesome.

I am like most and RAW specifically and WWE in general has become stagnant and predictable. Not only was it a massive swerve (most if not all of us seen Cody in Kofi's future) but the way it was done was so real and intense. Back in the days of Stone Cold it would have been an unreal monster truck crushing a car segment. Instead we get a REAL segment where Kofi "keys" the car, bashes it with a crow bar, pours paint over it. Not only that but because we rarely hear from Kofi it seemed so out of character it had us on the Edge of our seat yet because we rarely hear from Kofi it was still believable.

This week is a huge week for Kofi. He had everyone talking about him last week, he needs some good material to follow it up with. If he is just used in a match, with no mic time, the WWE are wasting last weeks good work.

He can't face Orton this week, either. It needs to be slowly built to help Kofi properly. He can be huge given the right push. He gets huge reactions each week. The kids need someone to replace Jeff Hardy as their idol, Kofi can fill the gap. But this week is a huge one. Go on, creative, give the man some material better than last weeks to solidify him in the fans' eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back