• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

[Official] 2009 MLB Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first time a game ended on a unassisted triple play. Phillies going to win it all with Mr. Lee and Pedro pitching well cant hurt the cause either.

The first time a game ended on a unassisted triple play. Phillies going to win it all with Mr. Lee and Pedro pitching well cant hurt the cause either.

It was actually the second time, but exciting nonetheless. The odds are that most of us will never see it happen again in our lifetimes.

I'm loving that the cubs are collapsing and the Cardinals are running away with the Central. Smoltz went 5 and stuck out 9. I really think it will be a disappointment if we don't at least make it to the NLCS.

I love how when he pitched for my favorite team the Red Sox, he is awful yet first start on a new team he is flawless

Dave Duncan is a magician. He pulled talent out of Jeff Weaver a couple years ago, and now has Joel Piniero as a major player in the rotation after he bounced around a few teams. I'm not saying that Smoltz doesn't have talent, but Duncan may very well be the best pitching coach in the majors, and is definitely helping Smoltz get the most out of that talent.

MLB Trade Rumors said:
Red Sox Expected To Deal For Wagner
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 25 at 12:23pm CST]

12:23pm: Olney reports that the Red Sox are expected to complete a deal for Wagner.

12:22pm: Via Twitter, Lennon says it looks like the deal will go through. An announcement is coming shortly.

12:12pm: Newsday's David Lennon hears that, while no deal is complete, the Mets and Red Sox could agree on one "soon."

12:00pm: Tony Massarotti of the Boston Globe reports that Billy Wagner is now considering a deal to Boston. He is apparently drawn to the Red Sox because they're in the pennant race. Earlier today, we heard that Wagner blocked a deal because he didn't want to risk injuring himself down the stretch. ESPN.com reported today that Wagner's agent believes his client should only pitch once every three days.

With the deadline for a deal approaching, the Red Sox were talking to Wagner in an attempt to work out a deal, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney. Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Mets are "trying to talk sense" into Wagner. Heyman hears that the Red Sox still hope a deal will go through.

So, it's looking like Billy Wagner is going to be the newest member of the Boston Red Sox by day's end. I for one am very excited over this prospect. Granted, Wagner isn't the pitcher he once was, but he's still a valuable asset to any bullpen. Considering we've already got one of the best bullpens in baseball, adding a guy like Wagner to that fold will solidify that bullpen even more. I can't wait to see how this story folds out. Alot of people are thinking this will be another Eric Gagne situation, but shit, we've got the money, we've got the prospects (not like he'll cost much in that department), why not get a guy like Wagner?

Looking forward to see how this turns out and to see Wagner in a Red Sox uniform. Any thoughts on this move, or am I the only Sox fan that cares eh?

MLB Trade Rumors said:
12:39pm: Heyman says the Red Sox acquired Wagner. Lennon says the Mets obtain two players to be named later.

12:26pm: Heyman reports via Twitter that Wagner is "on the verge" of accepting a deal to the Red Sox. He has four minutes to decide.

So, yep, it's official. Billy Wagner is officially a member of the Boston Red Sox, and I'm very happy to hear that. I don't think he's going to make a huge impact or anything, but his addition to our bullpen really solidifies what could have already been considered the best bullpen in baseball. I don't think there can even be an argument now with the addition of Wagner.

Good move for the Sox.

Oh shit! This is post number 3,000! Huzzah!

He will help the Sox. I was hoping the Phils would get him but he made comments over the weekend that he would never come back, he did his 2 years there and that was more than enough. Which I was disapointed by but I know that while I am not the typical asshole Philly fan, we have our reputation for a reason.
I was a little surprised that he demanded the Sox pick up his option for next year for him to waive his no trade clause. Did the Sox do that?
He will be better than Gagne was for the Sox. He is a nice addition.

lol @ Billy Wagner, I read he declined the trade because Boston didn't guarantee to waive his option, not offer him arbitration so he can go to a team and become a full time closer. O well, he and Papelbon are off to a good relationship. Name callings and such within the last 72 hours or so. Anyways, this really isn't that big of deal. Boston has to worry about keeping there wildcard lead, not acquiring a 38 year old pitcher who has pitched like three times this year and is just coming off some very serious surgery. O well, I still think it will be a Yankee Vs Philly World-Series.

I don't see how Wagner will make that much of a difference. Boston's bullpen is already really good with Paplebon, Saito, Okijima, and even Bard. Do they still have Timlin? Wagner has pitched like 1 inning in the past year, I don't think the Red Sox should be expecting anything out of him, he could just be John Smoltz 2.0

lol @ Billy Wagner, I read he declined the trade because Boston didn't guarantee to waive his option, not offer him arbitration so he can go to a team and become a full time closer.

Not sure where you heard that, but Wagner is officially a member of the Red Sox right now. What's so funny about him wanting to be a full time closer somewhere else? Every close wants that, doesn't mean they won't show up to play for the role they're used in.

O well, he and Papelbon are off to a good relationship. Name callings and such within the last 72 hours or so.

Paps has already been talked to about that. He's got a mouth, can't deny that. It'll hardly be a problem though.

Anyways, this really isn't that big of deal. Boston has to worry about keeping there wildcard lead, not acquiring a 38 year old pitcher who has pitched like three times this year and is just coming off some very serious surgery.

Right, so acquiring a 6 time All Star closer doesn't help them...gotcha. Wagner was hitting 95+ in his last few appearances, we're not relying on the guy for anything. He's a classic low risk high reward pick up, which has become our specialty. What's the worst that happens? He pitches a few times and blows up? Oh well, we've got plenty of other solid relievers than, no big deal.

I don't see how Wagner will make that much of a difference. Boston's bullpen is already really good with Paplebon, Saito, Okijima, and even Bard. Do they still have Timlin? Wagner has pitched like 1 inning in the past year, I don't think the Red Sox should be expecting anything out of him, he could just be John Smoltz 2.0

Timlin is all but retired at this point. He's still trying to pitch after getting cut by the Rockies earlier this year, but it looks like he's pretty much done. One of the best middle innings man to ever live.

We've got plenty of talent in the bullpen already, which is why this pick up is all positive and no negative. Worst that happens is we're just back where we were yesterday, still with one of the better bullpens in baseball.

Not fair to compare him to Smoltz either, Smoltz was only being used as a starter.

Looking forward to see how this turns out and to see Wagner in a Red Sox uniform. Any thoughts on this move, or am I the only Sox fan that cares eh?

As a life long Astros fan, other than Randy Johnson's half year stay (which was AWESOME) and the Clemens years, Billy Wagner is the greatest pitcher the team has ever had while I've been watching.

So, yeah... I do think this is a good move. Is Wagner past his prime? Sure, but someone who has closed as many games as he has over his career skills doesn't just vanished over night. He has performed tremendously in COUNTLESS clutch situations, and the Red Sox's bullpen could use someone like that right now, from what I understand. He brings experience, leadership, and toughness to a team who is only one key move or two away from winning yet another World Series. This very well could have been that key move they needed to take them to that next step. And if it wasn't... then I'm sure it won't hurt anything. It's not like Wagner will be the sole reason the Sox lose 3 games in a row or anything like that, so the risk was more than worth it.

There's only about a month left in the regular season and there's really only one race that's interesting. The NL wild card race is the only close one at this point. The closest divisional race in either league is in the AL Central and the Tigers are currently up by 4.5 games on the Twins. In the AL wild card the Red Sox are starting to pull away and they are up 3.5 games on the Rangers.

Then we have the NL wild card. Currently the Rockies hold the top spot, but the Giants are only 1 game behind, the Braves are 3.5 back, and the Marlins are 4 back. I'm more of an American League fan, but this is going to be a very interesting race. In the end I think the Giants will win the wild card, but it's going to be very close. So who do you think will get the wild card in the NL?

The Twins are red-hot right now and the Tigers aren't hitting at all, even with the trade for Aubrey Huff (with the expection of Miguel Cabrera, who is a beast). I'm a little concerned for Detroit right now. It'd be nice to see SanFran make the playoffs as a wild card. They'll get in with Tim Linceum (Who, like Justin Verlander, strikes out a lot of batters) and Matt Cain pitching on all cylinders and Pablo Sandoval carrying the offense.

The Twins are red-hot right now and the Tigers aren't hitting at all, even with the trade for Aubrey Huff (with the expection of Miguel Cabrera, who is a beast). I'm a little concerned for Detroit right now. It'd be nice to see SanFran make the playoffs as a wild card. They'll get in with Tim Linceum (Who, like Justin Verlander, strikes out a lot of batters) and Matt Cain pitching on all cylinders and Pablo Sandoval carrying the offense.

The Tigers aren't hitting but they're still winning games. They just took 2 of 3 from the Angels and so far have won 2 of 3 from the Rays. Detroit is also 42-21 at home and they have 14 of there last 26 games at home, including 4 at home against the Twins

Then we have the NL wild card. Currently the Rockies hold the top spot, but the Giants are only 1 game behind, the Braves are 3.5 back, and the Marlins are 4 back. I'm more of an American League fan, but this is going to be a very interesting race. In the end I think the Giants will win the wild card, but it's going to be very close. So who do you think will get the wild card in the NL?

This is definetly going to come down to the two West Coast teams, I just don't think the Braves or Marlins have enough depth or talent to make a serious run at this. The Giants are a very dangerous team with Lincecum and Cain at the front of the rotation, but after that, they don't have much at all. They are one of the lowest scoring teams in the NL and the back end of their rotation is average. I think that the Rockies will end up taking it. Their lineup is solid with Hawpe, Tulo, and Helton. Plus they have a very good pitching staff with Street at the end of the game. It's their race to lose right now.

Wow, Jim Thome and Jose Contreras are on their way out of the South Side of Chicago. Jim Thome is going to the Dodgers, and has a viable chance of getting to the World Series. I will miss him, as he is a super nice guy, and has been awesome during his time on the White Sox. Hit number 500 with us, and it is a shame we couldn't help him win a ring.

Contreras, well it is about fucking time now. He hasn't been right for about 2 1/2 years. This year he has been horrible. He came back from the Achilles injury too soon, went to the minors, came back up and was doing good. Then he sucked after like 5 starts. So there will always be a special place in my heart for him and what he helped in 2005, but good fucking riddance. Gone to the Rockies, maybe he can help there. :shrug:

Wow, Jim Thome and Jose Contreras are on their way out of the South Side of Chicago. Jim Thome is going to the Dodgers, and has a viable chance of getting to the World Series. I will miss him, as he is a super nice guy, and has been awesome during his time on the White Sox. Hit number 500 with us, and it is a shame we couldn't help him win a ring.

Contreras, well it is about fucking time now. He hasn't been right for about 2 1/2 years. This year he has been horrible. He came back from the Achilles injury too soon, went to the minors, came back up and was doing good. Then he sucked after like 5 starts. So there will always be a special place in my heart for him and what he helped in 2005, but good fucking riddance. Gone to the Rockies, maybe he can help there. :shrug:

I heard that Jermaine Dye could also be traded. It seems like the White Sox are going into rebuilding mode. There pitching staff will still be good next year, but there offense is slowly disappearing. Especially if Dye really does leave.

So, as David brought up, a few moves made earlier today.

MLB Trade Rumors said:
Rockies Acquire Jose Contreras
By Mike Axisa [August 31, 2009 at 11:14pm CST]

Joe Cowley of The Chicago Sun Times reports that the White Sox have traded Jose Contreras to the Rockies. Mark Gonzales of The Chicago Tribune says the ChiSox are also sending cash to Colorado, and will receive righthander Brandon Hynick in return.

Contreras has put up a 5.42 ERA in 21 starts for Chicago this year, but has been particularly dreadful in August, allowing 30 runs in 24.2 IP covering six starts. He is in the final year of the three-year, $29MM extension he signed in 2006. Assuming the deal was completed before midnight ET on August 31st, Contreras is eligible for the Rockies' postseason roster.

Hynick, 24, was the Rockies 8th round pick in the 2006 draft, and has put up a 3.83 ERA in 26 starts for Colorado's Triple-A affiliate this year. He threw a perfect game earlier in July, and was rated the 22nd best prospect in the Rockies' system earlier this year by Baseball America.

MLB Trade Rumors said:
Dodgers Acquire Jim Thome
By Mike Axisa [August 31, 2009 at 11:13pm CST]

SI.com's Jon Heyman reports that the Dodgers have acquired Jim Thome. The White Sox will receive infielder Justin Fuller in the deal, and are sending cash to LA that will presumably cover at least part of Thome's salary according to Mark Gonzales of The Chicago Tribune.

The Dodgers were reportedly seeking a run-producing bat off the bench, and Thome would certainly fit that description. It remains to be seen how the 39-yr old will be used in Chavez Revine however, as the National League doesn't use a designated hitter. Thome has played just 28 innings at first base since 2005, and is scheduled to become a free agent after the season.

Fuller, 26, was the Dodgers 11th round pick in 2006, and is hitting .254-.340-.418 in 205 at-bats for High Class-A Inland Empire. Assuming the deal was completed before midnight ET on August 31st, Thome is eligible for the Dodgers' postseason roster.

MLB Trade Rumors said:
Dodgers Acquire Jon Garland
By Mike Axisa [August 31, 2009 at 11:18pm CST]

The Dodgers have acquired righthander Jon Garland, according to SI.com's Jon Heyman. MLB.com's Steve Gilbert says the Diamondbacks will receive a player to be named later in return.

GM Ned Colletti has been looking to add a starter to his club for what seems like an eternity, and Garland gives them someone they can count on to take the ball every five days. He's started at least 32 games every season since 2002, and is on his way to completing that feat again this year. He had a 4.29 ERA in 167.2 IP for the Diamondbacks this year, his first foray into the National League.

There is a $10MM mutual option for Garland's services in 2010, with the buyout amount depending on who declines the option. Assuming the deal was completed before midnight ET on August 31st, Garland is eligible for the Dodgers' postseason roster.

The Red Sox also picked up Joey Gathright a few days ago, but that move is rather meaningless. Gives us yet another 4th outfielder if we need one, which we don't.

It looks like the Dodgers are trying to do everything they can to help themselves out. Not sure how much Thome and Garland are going to give them though. Doesn't seem like a move that will have any major impact on the club; Garland will probably be the better pick-up.

September officially started an hour and fourteen minutes ago here in EST people, do you feel it in the air? Do you smell it? It's time to put the pedal to the metal because it is playoffs time people! Get your magic numbers started!

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dotel, Konerko and Podsednik dealt before the year is over. Konerko is a solid ball player and Podsednik can still bring something to the game whether it's in the field, at the plate or on the bases, and Dotel is a solid reliever whose contract expires in the winter.

This is all a salary dump and shouldn't expect much in return. They've made some stupid moves the last couple of months, acquiring Rios' hefty contract and the Peavy's contract. They don't look too smart now, and I don't know how any fan can support the moves for Rios and Peavy. They all look wasted now because they now look to be rebuilding and you can't build a team around an injured pitcher and a good outfielder...

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dotel, Konerko and Podsednik dealt before the year is over. Konerko is a solid ball player and Podsednik can still bring something to the game whether it's in the field, at the plate or on the bases, and Dotel is a solid reliever whose contract expires in the winter.

This is all a salary dump and shouldn't expect much in return. They've made some stupid moves the last couple of months, acquiring Rios' hefty contract and the Peavy's contract. They don't look too smart now, and I don't know how any fan can support the moves for Rios and Peavy. They all look wasted now because they now look to be rebuilding and you can't build a team around an injured pitcher and a good outfielder...

Brian you are funny. How are they not smart? Adding a former Cy Young winner to the team, yeah that simply can't be good. I'm sure you will bring an argument that he can't go past 6 innings. Bullshit. His elbow has been revealed to not have structural damage. Also there is no word that he is being shut down for the year yet, but I feel it would be the best option.

Yeah, and Alex Rios, definitely not a smart move, I totally agree (sarcasm). He is a very good outfielder, and being at US Cellular Field can only help him with the bat. In his 5 years in the game, he was a .280+ hitter in Toronto. Now at the Cell, he can add to his offensive numbers.

Why aren't they smart moves? Kenny Williams wasn't just looking for a playoff run this year. Peavy and Rios still have like 3-4 years on both of their deals. It was also made for the future. Adding for the future would seem like a good idea to me. Kenny has made a whole bunch of moves in his career as a GM. Some have sunk (Billy Koch, Darin Erstad, Nick Swisher) and others have done very well (Gavin Floyd, Jim Thome, Bobby Jenks, Matt Thornton). Only time will tell, but you can't say they aren't good moves for the future. Give Peavy recovery time, I don't see why he can't pitch well, and Rios will only get better and more acclimated to the South Side of Chicago.

Podsednik will come back if Kenny feels that he can still produce. Remember, it was a one year minor league deal he signed back in April or May. After this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he does bring him back, and I would welcome it, as he has been the teams MVP, at least he was in the first half. Konerko may be on his way out during the offseason, but only if Kenny can get a good deal for him. Kenny won't do some stupid ass trade for him. I don't know about Dotel. He has done really well this year, so anything with Kenny is possible.

Also, they aren't building around Peavy and Rios. That would be stupid to build around two players who have been traded for in previous months. They are just pieces to the puzzle that they have added. They are building around Gordon Beckham, Carlos Quentin, Chris Getz, Alexei Ramirez, Mark Buehrle, Gavin Floyd, John Danks, among others. That is a pretty good core group right there to build around.

The White Sox are slumping as of late, and yes have given up on the season, but the future still looks bright. They still have a good rotation and now they dont have to rush Peavy back. If Peavy comes back full strength in 2010 then him and Buehrle are one of the best 1-2 punches in the league. By getting rid of Thome they do lose power, but they also free up cap space (not sure how much he is worth), and they can get a Nick Johnson in free agency. The White Sox can be a top contender again next year despite getting rid of 3 players in the past few days.

So Billy Wagner has looked good thus far in his two appearances for the Red Sox. I know it's still too soon to be making any judgments on what the future holds for him, but thus far of the 12 batters he's faced, he's struck out 9 of them. That's pretty impressive. He's looked great so far in a Red Sox uniform, striking out 5 of the 6 batters he's faced. Hopefully he's made a full recovery from the Tommy John surgery. We already have a solid bullpen, but adding a veteran arm like his could really help in those tight situations come fall.

Why aren't they smart moves? Because Peavy hasn't been relevant in like two years, he has a huge contract, and spends most of his days in rehab getting ready to pitch so he can throw five innings and get injured again.

Throwing you that bullshit of six innings? I believe that's a stat dating back to 2007. Roughly two years ago. And by taking on those contracts you have the possibility of losing some of the youngins to the Free Agent market because they to will want the big bucks. In the Big scheme of things they do not look like smart moves, especially looking at it from a salary stand point.

Why aren't they smart moves? Because Peavy hasn't been relevant in like two years, he has a huge contract, and spends most of his days in rehab getting ready to pitch so he can throw five innings and get injured again.

Throwing you that bullshit of six innings? I believe that's a stat dating back to 2007. Roughly two years ago. And by taking on those contracts you have the possibility of losing some of the youngins to the Free Agent market because they to will want the big bucks. In the Big scheme of things they do not look like smart moves, especially looking at it from a salary stand point.

So all I am hearing from you is it isn't financially sound, and that you have changed your stance in the Bar Room from saying six innings to now five. Well I'll disprove your five inning guess right now. Last year he pitched 173.2 innings in 27 starts. That equates to 6.4 innings. But we know there aren't more than three outs in an inning, so roughly 6 2/3 to 7 innings pitched last year. In 2007 he pitched 223.1 innings, in 34 starts. Equating to 6.5. Again, take it how it is. Hell even this year, in 13 starts with SD, he threw 81.2 innings. That is still about 6 2/3 innings. So take your five inning bullshit and shove it.

Taking on these contracts, if everyone was signed to contracts like the Yankees then yes. But get this. Jermaine Dye is in the last year of his contract, he may come back at a reduced price, if he resigns. Konerko has one year left after this year. But again you previously said you wouldn't be surprised to see Konerko gone, and I'm sure you know that because you talk to Kenny Williams. :shrug: Kenny knows what he is doing. I trust him, just like most people would trust their GMs. Finance, that is what you are worried about. The White Sox have a high enough payroll to keep players, it is just whether or not they are reasonable or even worth resigning. They don't just throw money at players like the Cubs or Yankees.

Last night was a perfect example of why the Cards picked up Matt Holliday. In the 7th, the Brewers walked Pujols to get to Holliday, bringing him up with two on and two outs in a tied game. Holliday ended up hitting a 3-run homer that ended up being the difference in the game. There is no doubt in my mind that the Cardinals will represent the National League in the World Series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back