Official 2008-2009 NHL Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anaheim could be a very interesting team come the trade deadline. If they slip in the standings, they face the decision of trading Pronger, which would be a big loss for them since Beauchemin is gone too. They would also look at trading their expiring contract like Morrison. Since Anaheim is my second favourite team I want them to succeed, but they have to start playing much better if their going to contend in the very tough West.

As for the Devils, Brodeur should be coming back soon and there is discussion right now on whether he should get the #1 spot backl right away. While I think that he definitely should get it back, they should also rest him more and make sure he's 100% for the playoffs. If he shows no fatigue then you ride him, but if he is a little rusty atleast the Devils won't be scared to play their backup since they have done a great job in relief.

For the people who post here, how about we all choose our mid-season awards? Maybe that could get some more discussion here.

No way in hell the Ducks trade Pronger. The Ducks have won 3 of the last 5 and last night was a slip up. Im sure they will play better at Nashville tonight. They are still 5th in the west so I doubt that they will slip to LA Kings status. I am also confident that they will make the playoffs too because they have the talent and the coaching to do just that. I predict a first round date with Chcago or Calgary...like I said earlier, avoid Detroit and San Jose for as long as possible until you get hot.

I have no doubt that Anaheim will make it, but I was just stating that if for some reason they faulter, then they will look into the possibility of trading him. Not for sure, but they will look into it.

The Ducks lost tonight, 2 games in a row after a good start to the week. I am pissed off. They have 2 games in the next 8 days and they MUST win both! They are playing at Calgary and then hosting Calgary. They currently hold the 5th spot but with only 2 games in 8 days they must find a way to win both to keep the pressure on or else they are going to lose their ranking. S-F, the only way the Ducks would ever trade a goldmine like Pronger would be if they fell to Tampa or Ottawa status which they are not in danger of doing.

Stars blew it against Colorado tonight after a 5 game streak. Dammit, we need those games, but we sucked on the PP as usual. Luckily for us this month only has 2 more road games, against Chicago and Columbus, which are winnable. I really hope we give ourselves some more breathing room. This season has already been a quiet a letdown as it is, not making the playoffs will make me want to hurl myself off a cliff. Not going to be easy though, it's a tight race.

Btw Hayek, I'm working on tickets for the Anaheim game later this month. Been some good matchups between us outside of that ass kicking we have you in ANA during our miserable start. Bet that one stung :D

Yes it stung thank you. I am curious to what Ducks management will do if the Ducks somehow miss the playoffs (Yes I am thinking about since it is a possibility). Dallas is now in 5th place with the Ducks being in 6th, Minnesota is in 7th and so is Edmonton. Both of those teams have 55 points which means the Ducks MUST and I repeat MUST win tomorrow night or else we are screwed. Really.l we will be. Tomorrow we play Calgary who I KNOW that we can beat but whatever. Then 3 home games against Calgary, Atlanta and Kings. They NEED to win all those 4 games. I dont care what it takes, extra practice more drills for the love of Wes DO SOMETHING DUCKS! DO SOMETHING! Hell I will be happy with a playoff appearance and a hard first round. I look at some of their wins, (1-0 vs Chicago and 3-2 vs Buffalo) and I wonder why they play so crappy against others (3-1 loss at Pittsburgh, 4-2 loss at Nashville). After that homestand, the Ducks have GULP....6 ROAD GAMES....including a date with Detroit. They need to pull a Lakers and start winning games. If they dont then the Lakers are going to by only winter team winning anything this year.

So the New York Rangers are on a four game loosing streak. In the past 2 games they have allowed 13 goals and scored...2... The Devils shut them out tonight, which of course made me happy cause I hate the Rangers more than life itself, and they got crushed by Dallas 10-2. When the Rangers play like they have been it makes me laugh cause they have soooooo much talent on that team. Looking at them on paper one would think "jeez that looks like a pretty stacked team." Fact of the matter is that they have some of the best in the league, and they simply can not play together. The Rangers are trying to get Avery back. Yes Avery played well on the Rangers, but he was just more of a nuisence than anything else. One thing that made me very happy tonight was that for the first time, I actually saw a Devil hit Gomez. I mean he got rocked by Zubrus. So Zubrus got called for the hit? Big deal. Bottom line is someone actually hit him finally. An interesting stat popped up on the screen during the game as well. Marty Brodeur is set to return in possibly 2-3 weeks. I'm excited, yet nervous about that... I've said it once and I'll say it again... I will be very upset if when he gets back, the Devils go back to playing how they used to...

I beleive it was KB who a couple weeks ago said Detroit didn't have a chance to come back and win the West because SJ had such a big lead, well after yesterdays incredible 3-0 win over the Pens, Det. is now only 3pts. out of first place in the West

Never count out the Wings. They're the defending champs. They're one of the best in the league, and you can never and I mean never count those guys out. It's going to be i think a dogfight between them and San Jose for the West. The East. I'm still not expecting too much of a fight. Boston has a decent lead. I'd like to say that the Devils have what it takes to catch them, but they are going to need help from Boston. Devils have a win over Boston this season, and they play them again on Friday. I'm excited and will be going to the game. I'm just a little nervous with the game being home. We don't exactly have the most impressive home record this season, but away we're awesome. Anyway though yah the West will be a dog fight between San Jose and Detroit till the end I think.

If the playoffs began today, my Ducks would not be in it as we are in 9th 1 point out. This pisses me off as they are virtually the same team as last year (minus Francois Beauchemeun) and still playing like crap. How the hell do we beat Calgary twice and yet lose to the Atlanta Fucking Thrashers 8-4 on home ice? All I can say is that tomorrow against the LA Kings is a must win! I might go to the game because I want to take in some hockey but yeah we need to win tomorrow because it doesn't look good right now.

Anyone think their is going to be any big trades at the deadline and any predictions on teams too?

How about Jay Bouwmeister? He seems to be the big name being talked about this trade deadline.

How about Nick Backstrom? I've heard a little bit about him maybe being available.

I am a Flyers fan and i'm interested to see what trades you guys think are going to happen before the deadline.

How the mighty have fallen. The Pens started out so well, now they can't buy wins or points. At this point in the season, Crosby can't buy a goal, nor can he skate, Malkin is playing like shit, and basically our whole team is. Our defense still sucks, but the good news is our PP is playing better :cool:

I am hoping for a trade, hopefully those trade "rumors" are true, Heatley, Kovalchuk (sp) or St. Louis would look good in black. I believe the Pens can make a run for the eighth spot in the East but they need some help, from the other teams, their defense, Offense, Goaltending and Coaching. If they make a big trade I can see it happening, and If i do, I can see it carrying over to the playoffs.

Go Pens.

So Brodeur came back tonight and got a shut out. That's pretty damn impressive to me. Yah it was against Colorado, but still tthe fact is he was gone for four months, came back and got a shut out. Hopefully his return will only help the Devils and we continue to play as well as we had before the most recent road trip. After playing and beating both Boston (shutout) and San Jose we lost 2 out of 3 and got shut out 4-0 by both the Panthers and Islanders.... Ouch... Tonight we got a shutout 4-0. I'm hopin that we were just burnt out from a really toguh week prior. We shall see, but tonight we looked as good as ever.

Hayek... I'm sorry about the Ducks... They just lost 6-0.... Ouch... I dunno what the Hell is wrong with that team. They should be doing so much better than they are.

RANGERS STILL SUCK

Detroit lost 8-0 to Nashville the other day. Proof that a really good team can fuck up on any given day so that is why I am not worried about the Ducks. If they can get to the playoffs they can be okay. They have gone 3-2 on this 6 game trip so far with one more in Chicago. I already consider this a successful trip because we won 3 games. The Ducks need to not take penalties.

Next years team will be built around Getzlaf, Ryan and Perry. I hope Niedermeyer stays but I am not holding my breath. I do hope the Ducks do not go back into rebuilding mode like the Kings did. I would hate to be in their position with being unable to contend for years. I do still like Gigurre and he can stay as long as he wants but Hiller is also great and I like him to stay with the Ducks. If one thing has been learned about the Ducks it is that they are a good goaltending team and were a good defensive team. I hope that they keep it up.

So the Devils have landed Havelid. i personally think that this move will really help the Devils out, but the only thing that I see a problem with is who to have sit for Havelid. I personally am not a big Odya fan, and would love to see him sit. Yes he's been playing pretty good lately, and has even scored few, but when he is not doing that, he is just flat out bad in my books. I am a little saddened that we traded Samilla though. He was improving with every game that he played and I was hoping to see him with the team next year as he does have a very vicious shot. Oh well. Hopefully he'll help Atlanta out.

Tonight we face the Maple Leafs whom have won 4 in a row. We have 3 in a row, so somebody's winning streak must end. I would love to say that the Devils will have an easy time, but I can't as we have yet to beat the Leafs this season. We'll just have to wait and see what happens I suppose.

Well the trade deadline is passed, now its just the march to the Stanley Cup. My team is doing well right now, just beating San Jose last night. Luongo is looking incredible, and the defense is helping out. The offense is doing everything that is needed of them, and the Canucks are pushing for 4th in the west against the lowering Blackhawks. Canucks have a great shot in winning the Division here, and getting a great burst in the playoffs. Canucks did nothing at the deadline, and that seems alright.

The season is nowhere near over but Im gonna be a man and say it. The Ducks are playing like total crap and they do not deserve to be in the playoffs. The only way on God's green earth that the Ducks will have a snowball's chance of making the playoffs is if they virtually win all their games remaining which with this team, Im not sure it can be done.

I hate giving up on them but I am being realistic. This is painful and it sucks to write. It seemed like 2007 was just yesterday but in a way it was soo long ago. I do not know where the Ducks go from here but I hope to hell its not rebuilding mode. We have 3 talented forwards (Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan) that they are building the team around. They need to reshore the defense and learn how to pass the fucking puck.

My Stanley Cup pick originally was Montreal-Anaheim but now I see Washington/Boston vs Chicago/San Jose

I do not see Detroit going all the way because they have been playing like shit lately and acting like a crap team. (8-0 and 8-2 in two straight weekends)

Wow what a night it was last night to be a Devils fan. Two records broken. Elias broke the franchise points record by scoring his 702nd point as an assist on Gionta's goal. The Devils would continue on to win 3-2 over the Chicago Blackhawks and give Marty Brodeur win number 552, the most ever by a goalie in the NHL. The Devils have now won 10 straight at home, yet another record. Congratulations to Brodeur and Elias on their respective feats last night. What a great night to be a Devil's fan! The Devils have now also scored at least 3 goals a game on their most recent 4 game win streak. They look to keep on rolling tonight against the Hurricanes, which they should cause f they fed off the energy in Prudential Center last night they should be amped to play again tonight.

I swear the Ducks came on these boards and read my post (no they didnt) but all of a sudden, they are playing like royalty. They have won every single fucking game they have played over the last week and are now in a tie for 8th place with the Predators with games in Colorado and a home game vs Edmonton on the horizon. Color me a happy Ducks fan as I might have some hockey playoffs to look forward to. The powerplay is amazing right now and goaltending is solid. It seems like they are coming together at the perfect time.

How did I know something like this would happen to the Devils. My biggest fear for this season was Marty coming back and something terrible happening before the end of the season. He comes back, breaks the record, but since then the Devils have gone 1-6. Just 1 point in 6 games. It hurts... Espically since we've played teams that there is just no excuse for us loosing to. I can't blame Marty though cause he has been playing well, but our D has just been incredibly horrendous. It's as if we forgot how to play over the last 6 games. Sutter says that the foot is down now. So what happens? We get killed 6-1 by the Penguins. Our next game is against the Lightning. If we loose that game then I will be very scared for the post season. It's just a horrible time in the regular season to not be doing well. On the flip side of the Devils though, how bout them Hurricanes? At the start of the season a lot of people were saying that they could not decide if the Hurricanes would be able to have a good season. For the most... They didn't really, but now here they are charging hard for 4th place in the east. The Devils though.... Ugh something needs to change and b that I mean really, really fast...

Please, you act as if losing to the Penguins is a bad thing. You are talking about the best team in the East right now. 6 Players on this team have over 20 goals, and the first half of this season was a bit slow. Fleury proved why he was drafted first over all. When the Penguins get going, they are a hard team to stop.

The Penguins are the most dangerous team in the East, and possibly in the NHL. You have to two top points players on the same team, and a goalie that can shut a team out, or stop 30 plus shots. Most of the team is healthy again, and they have looked superb since. I say good luck to the rest of the NHL when trying to stop Malkin, Crosby, and Staal. Not to mention additions like Kunitz, and Guerin. This team is Stanley Cup potential again.

Well... losing to any team is a bad thing. You never want to loose. Also please don't think that I'm knocking the Pens with what I said. They are a great team, and are one of the deadliest in the league. Trust me I know that, they're the one team I fear more than Boston right now. At the start of the season I'll admit I didn't think that the Pens were going to be where they are now, but them and the Hurricanes are on tears of their own.

The West right now though Geez what a mess that is. The East isn't all that much better, but the West damn I really don't know who's going to finish where outside of number 1 and 2. My hat's off to the Blues and Bluejackets this season. Columbus looks like they have a decent shot at getting in for the first time and it'd be nice to see the Blues in it again period

Okay everyone it's playoff time again and here's what the first round is looking like...

Eastern Conference

1.) Boston Bruins vs 8.) Montreal Canadiens
My Prediction: I don't think Boston will have much trouble here Montreal started the season really, really strong, but as it went on they slipped and slipped and frankly I think that they're lucky that Florida and Buffalo ran into their own problems. I think Boston will win this series in either 4 or 5. I'm leaning towards 5 though due to the fact that when the Habs actually want to play... They can!

2.) Washington Capitals vs 7.) New York Rangers
My Prediction: The Rangers just are not consistant enough to win a playoff series. I'm going to say the Caps win it in 5.

3.) New Jersey Devils vs 6.) Carolina Hurricanes
My Prediction: Should be a close series here. The Devils are getting their acts back together and Carolina has been playing well. Devils won the last game of the season against Carolina, but that means nothing in the playoffs. This series could go 7, and I hope the Devils come out on top.

4.) Pittsburgh Penguins vs 5.) Philadelphia Flyers
My Prediction: The Pens have had such a second half of the season rally that I really see them being one of the better teams this season. I think the Pens can toss the Flyers out in 4 or 5 depending on how the D of Pittsburgh plays. Scoring on Philly should not be a big problem for Crosby and the kids.

Western Conference
1.) San Jose Sharks vs 8.) Anaheim Ducks
My Prediction: The Ducks have had a rough year, and unfortunatly I think that'll continue as I can see San Jose winning in 5. However... If the Ducks, much like the Penguins tighten up on D, and stay calm they do have a shot at a huge upset as San Jose we all know is not the best playoff team.

2.) Detroit Red Wings vs 7.) Columbus Bluejackets
My Prediction: This series could go either way. Columbus has had an outstanding year, and I think that they will win this series. I don't know in how many games, but the way Detroit has been lately with their goal tending, it may be either 5 or 6.

3.) Vancouver Canucks vs 6.) St. Lois Blues
My Prediction: First of all welcome back the Blues to the playoffs. They've been gone for quite awhile. Good late season effort to get in. It's going to take a good effort to get back Vancouver though. I can see the Canucks winning in 6.

4.) Chicago Blackhawks vs 5.) Calgary Flames
My Prediction: The Hawks are back and I think that they'll possibly be the only team to sweep the first round.

Overall Thought: I think that the first round is going to be pretty interesting. I think we may get a couple upsets, and I think that we'll have new Cup Champions. Who will it be? It's too hard to tell, but there are several teams that are the definition of hungry for it.

Boston vs. Montreal
Very gritty series with plenty of bad blood as seen in Game 1. I don't think Montreal stands a chance in this series.

Washington vs. New York
Well New York taking Game 1 was huge for them. If Washington is going to win, they have to have better goaltending and I don't know if Theodore is the guy to give them that. I still think Washington wins, but I also think we'll see Varlamov soon.

New Jersey vs. Carolina
I had New Jersey winning in 7 and if Game 1 is any indication they will win the series. They played a good game against a hot team and a hot goaltender. Should be a good series.

Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia
I have Pittsburgh winning this series and they easily took care of Philly in Game 1. I really like the Kunitz and Geurin additions to this Pens team.

San Jose vs. Anaheim
I will never pick San Jose in the playoffs until they actually do something and this year is no different. Anaheim is a very good team when they want to play and I believe Anahiem wins this series. Game 1 was rather quiet, but Anaheim held the Sharks and Hiller looks really good. GO DUCKS!!!

Detroit vs. Columbus
Congrats to Columbus on their first playoffs appearance. Sadly they got the Red Wings. Wings win here for sure. They are the same team from last year plus Hossa. Osgood will step up in the playoffs, he always does. Detroit was my pick from the start of the regular season and I'm sticking to them.

Vancouver vs. St. Louis
I think this is a really good series and one that can go either way. If the Blues get Kariya back, that would be a huge boost. If Luongo stays as good as he was in Game 1 then Canucks win no problem. The Blues have to get after Luongo to have a chance.

Chicago vs. Calgary
I have Chicago winning this series. Khabibulin has the Flames number and I think he will again. A very entertaining Game 1 led to a Chicago win. Should be a competitve series.

So after the Devils crushed Carolina 4-1 in the series opener, the Canes came back to knot up the series is a hard fought game. The Devils I thought played a decent game, but I had a gut feeling that if it went to OT that we had in fact lost. The Devils have yet to beat Carolina in OT in the playoffs. Overall though it was a good game until the OT where the Devils really did nothing. Jamie Langenbrunner left mid second period with an injury and did not return. I don't even want to think of what could happen if that injury benches him for the series. At least Sutter has tomorrow to figure out which lines may work as the Devils best line has been broken.

The Penguins went up 2-0 in their series against the Flyers. Fleury.... Damn he made one amazing save. Words can't really describe it as well... let's just say that highway robbery does it no justice. This save was simply stellar. Try to find it on youtube or nhl.com or something. Should easily make an ESPN top 10.

RANGERS SUCK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back