Official 2008-2009 NHL Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackhawks vs. Red Wings
I still think that the Wings are winning the cup, but they going to have a hell of a time with Chicago. They may be a little too inexperienced against the likes of the Wings, but they have surprised thus far. I say Wings in 6.

Penguins vs. Hurricanes
I didn't pick Carolina against New Jersey or Boston and I'm still not picking them. I think Pittsburgh is back on track from last year and won't let anything stop them from going back to the finals. Pittsburgh in 5/6 depending on Carolina getting lucky.

Fun Fact: If Detroit wins their series, they will be facing a team that they have already beat in the Cup Finals, having beaten both the Penguins and the Hurricanes.

Well, the Wings just lost to the Blackhawks in Chicago making the series 2-1 in favor of the Wings. If the Blackhawks can tie this series this could get interesting. Right now I still want to give the edge to Detroit. I would much rather see the Wings win so that they can move on to lose to the Pens.

At first I thought the Canes were something to worry about, but I think they are done in 4. Ward gave up 7 goals last night in a 7-4 loss. Malkin/Crosby are on fire, and they didn't play this well last season. The Pens are on their way to another Stanley Cup final, and probably a win over the Wings or Blackhawks.

That's the key question: would the Wings' defense be able to stop the Malkin/Crosby combination? I think so.

But first I want to get past Games 4 and 5.

I don't really remember Detroit manhandling Malkin or Crosby last year. All as I remember is two stars getting one upped by a veteran team like Detroit. Crosby played well last year but Detroit just played better as a team. Which ultimately resulted in a Cup win.
Crosby and Geno are on a mission, Crosby is doing all the little things while Malkin is lighting it up.

Detroit and Chicago is a whole new series, hopefully Chicago can make it a series but I don't see it happening. Detroit still wins in six.

Funny, as you are from Philly so you should know about the Penguins coming back from a 2-0 deficit. Anyhow, obviously you are still bitter from the loss to the Penguins. In any case this series is not over by any means, and let the Flyers series make that clear. No, they (the Flyers) are not the same team as the Wings, but they are a great hockey team with a strong supporting cast. The Flyers had goal scorers all over the team, and hockey is half about scoring goals. I don't see the Wings being that well rounded scoring like the Flyers.

I also don't think the Wings have a player like Ovechkin either. The Capitals took the Pens on a ride to 7 games because of Alex, and a little bit of that russian goalie that they had benched after giving up 4 goals. Every time Ovechkin shot the puck it was a heart stopper. The Wings don't have that type of player. In this series the Pens have had more shots, and scoring chances than the Wings. What this means is that they are not executing as they should, otherwise this would be a 1-1 series right now. There have been to many mistakes for the Pens.

Would also like to add that the refs have been reluctant to call much. That goes for both sides, as I don't feel they are favoring any one team in particular. However, I will say this. Not a single non-call ended up as a goal for the Pens, and that is an undeniable fact. On the flipside of that the Wings Marian Hossa slashed Dupuis stick on what should have been a solid clear out of their end. This non-call ended up a goal for the Wings that made the game 2-1.

I'm not making excuses at this point because the series isn't over, and if anything the Pens deserved to LOSE both GAMES because they did not capitalize when they should. That is an undeniable fact as well. This would simply explain why they are down 2-0 right now as we speak. The last time the Penguins were missing easy goals, they took it to 7 games and emabarrassed the Capitals.

Osgood was looking back so much last night it was hiliarious. Osgood hasn't faced this much talent at once consistently in a long time. The Wings don't play your typical hockey either. They like to dump the puck, and Osgood loves holding the puck, as he is not an aggressive goalie by any means. This would explain why they haven't called much penalties because the game would go even slower. The Wings love to manage the puck, and they like to slow the game down a ton. May I also remind you that the Wings have one of the worst penalty killing units in the league. How, ironic the only goal for the Pens last night came on a powerplay? In other words the Wings don't like to be on penalty kill. While the Pens are easily one of the best on the powerplay.

The Pens see this 8 times a year with the Devils. New Jersey is not the same game as the Wings, but they also like to slow the game down. That is about as similar as they get. Anyhow, it seems to me that the last two wins for the Wings were simply that, their last two wins. Ofcourse, no one would believe that they are up 2 games, and could never blow 4 games in a row. They have to come back to Pittsburgh, and win 2 games. The cards are stacked against the Wings at this point. The Penguins won't lose in Pittsburgh, and that momentum will take them back in to Detroit where they should have won game two, and game 5 will be redemption in Detroit while riding on a wave of a two game win streak. Then back to Pittsburgh with the chance to say "we told you so". Remember after game 2 the next 3 of the 4 games coming are in Pittsburgh.

You can think that having 3 of the next 4 games at home isn't a strong favor all you want, but I think it matters right now. The Penguins got robbed of two goals lastnight as the NHL is reviewing the shot by Bill Guerin from last night. The other being the shot that Crosby had made, or thought he made in. Those two goals would have obviously made a difference in the game. Obviously it says that the Pens are capable of winning in Detroit should they not get "dicked" by the officials. The Penguins want it a ton more, and you can just see it on the ice. Get ready to lose the next for games Detroit fans.

Crucial game tonight between the Pens and Wings, with the series tied at 2 and the Pens winning the last 2 games to get themselves back in this series. It certainly feels like if the Pens win tonight they'll ride that momentum into the next game back home. I'm rooting for the Wings to win this series, they really need Datsyuk back in the line-up to induce some sort of much needed energy, because it sure looks like the top wings players are out of gas. Especially Zetterberg, he looked flat footed on Thursday night when Kennedy scored the fourth goal to put the game out of reach.

The Pens really deserve some props, especially Malkin who took alot a heat last year in the finals due to his play he really struggled. However this year him and Crosby are tearing it up, they've been a dynamic duo and it's really been a treat to watch. Several people have drawn this Penguins team to the Oilers team in the late 80's I think it was with Messier and Gretzky. Thats quite an honour to be compared to two great hockey players like them. The Great one has actually said that he thinks that Crosby is a better player then him when he was his age and thats saying alot.

Finally, when all was said and done the Red Wings can watch as the Penguins take center ice, and celebrated a great Stanley Cup win. All I can say is back to back, and then back to back again. This team is going to dominate hockey like the Celtics used to dominate the NBA. People don't know that the Pens actually have one of the best farm league teams in AHL. The Baby Pens are going to help keep this soon to be dynasty going. Sleep well Detroit fans!

What a season we had this year. San Jose and Boston slugged it out for the top spot all season long, yet when it came down to it, neither team advanced past the semi's in the playoffs. Saint Lois and Chicago both finally made it back into the postseason. When the smoke cleared though two teams were left, the same two as last year, the Detroit Red Wings and the Pittsburgh Penguins. Those two teams played probably some of the best hockey I've ever seen. Right down to the final two seconds of game 7 that series was intense. With Pittsburgh down 2-0 it looked as if Detroit was bound for a repeat. This year though the kids would not be denied. They fought back to knot up the series 2-2 then got blown out 5-0 in game 5. You would think the Pens were dead down 3-2 in the series after literally being blown out. Wrong, the Penguins would fight back and even the series at 3-3 forcing a game 7 in Detroit. They got the job done and this year it was Pittsburgh hoisting the cup high into the air while a stunned Joe Lois Arena could just look on. Looking back on the Pens season, they were well out of the playoff picture in the middle of the season. They got themselves a rookie coach and came to life. The Penguins broke quite a few stats in winning the cup. They are the first in like 17 game seven road wins for a championship. They were down two consecutive series 2-0 and managed to win both. One against Washington and the most recent, Detroit. Crosby is the youngest captain to ever hoist the cup. Let's of course not forget that this team was basically dead and heading out of Pittsburgh by the time the lockout rolled around. The story of the Pittsburgh Penguins of this generation is just starting, will they become a dynasty? It could happen. The core of the team is signed long term and this offseason anyway they do not have many free agents at all. Two final thoughts... Hossa probably feels the worst out of any Red Wing. He went to Detroit thinking he could win there, and wouldn't you know it, the team he left wins it over him. Finally this season was full of great hockey and flat out stunning moments. From the Devils being ko'ed with just 1:20 left in game 7 against Carolina. From a team who everyone called a fluke making it into the playoffs last year that came back and dominated the East, Boston. From another awesome collapse of the New York Rangers loosing their series against Washington after leading 3-1. From the dominant team in the West collapsing against the 8th seed Ducks. From Scot Clemmenson propelling the Devils through what looked like a doomed season after Marty went down. From Fleury's save with two seconds left in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. What a great season we were treated to. CONGRATS TO THE PITTSBURGH PENGUINS!!!!!! and thanks everyone who chatted in this thread with me about hockey, it's about my only hobby so yah that's it for me and my thoughts on this past season. One of the best in recent memories, See you at the draft!

I thought that game was one of the greatest games I have ever seen outside of game five last year. Fleury was awesome, as he usually is in big games. Even though Malkin didnt score a goal he played real well and the same could be said for Crosby. Crosby with limited ice time had several good scoring chances several by him and he put Guerin in position to score along with Kunitz. My favorite part of the game was when it was over and Hossa was whining like the little bitch he is while we were celebrating in Detroit. Lulz, he must feel like an ass.

This was a coming out party for my man Max Talbot. The man who held his own against some of the best in the league. Talbot is an all around good player, he skates real well, plays great defense, he is extremely fast and given the opportunity he can score. Like he proved in game seven, and throughout the 09 playoff season.

Repeat baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back