2008-09 NHL Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
oNCE AGAIN, time to save this thread! Who is MR HAYEK picking for the Stanley Cup Finals. Well its quite simple I am picking the Pittsburgh Penguins to beat the Detroit Red Wings. I am 8-3 in Stanley Cup picking so this should make me 9-3. I am looking forward to this one. Crosby and Hossa will have enough to beat out Zetteburg and Datzuk. Justinsayne, I am not picking against the Wings out of spite. I truly want to see the Pens win one just because of Crosby. So yeah those are my picks. 4-2 Penguins.

I was going to keep this thread going, but with the guy making the comment about Montreal not being overrated... I just didn't feel like getting into a pointless debate... Most Habs fans feel that their team can do no wrong... Anyway for this series I'm looking to see a very, very close series. I don't know how many games it will go... Could go 4...Could go 7. I don't think that any of the games will be anything but incredibly close. My general feeling is that... Detroit has the better of the goalies. Osgood, I think is better than Flery. However I think that the Penguins make up for that with the better offense. If the Red Wings let the Pens get a lot of chances they will suffer for it. Detroit has a good defense, don't get me wrong, but I don't think any defense in the league can stand up to the Penguins offensive line. The same thing can be said about some of Detroits lines as well. However I do not think that Detroit's lines are better than the Penguins.... Time will tell I suppose. Pull your belts tight it's going to be a wild ride... Game 1 so far has been.

I would love to see the Penguins win the cup but they don't have enough above average players to complement Sydney Crosby. yea they got to the cup but can they get passed Detroit? doubt it but we shall see.

i would love to see the penguins take it all home but after watching the first game, there going to need to step it up. That game was a crushing blow to the penguins.

Hopefully Crosby can do it though

ok relx there buddy(a7xoff)... theres a difference between being #1 n being #8 in the standings. #1 means your the best team in your conference, and #8 means u strugled but u survived the beating. we were simply the best team. penguins were probably better, but again how long did that take them to get there with there million 1st round pick.. #1, #2 samething.. so again how r we overated? o cuz maybe we dont have players named crosby, malkin or players that dont get on the highlight real every day.. i ll agree that the past years we sucked, n ill agree with u again if next season we finished 4th to 8th.... but i doubt it

Well hockey fans... Tonight marks the saddest night of the season... The last night of the NHL season. This season was full of surprises and dissapointments. In the East you had the Ottowa Senators dominating the early season, only to fall apart 1/2 way through. The New Jersey Devils started out very slow, but rode a multi game win streak and led the East for a time before getting into a major scoring slump during the last quarter down to not winning a game in regulation for 12 straight leading them to a first round playoff knockout. The Buffalo Sabers... One of the best from last year did not even make the playoffs and struggled the whole year. The Capitals broke into the playoffs after many years thanks to some help from the Carolina Hurricanes. The real story of the East this year was the Pittsburgh Penguins who had a fire lit under them and got them the Atlantic Division title and into the final round of the playoffs just missing the Eastern Conference title by 2 points. By the time the playoffs came... there were just 14 points from 1st to 10th...

Out west we had a different story. Right from the get go the Detroit Red Wings took a flying lead in the NHL. The defending cup champs Anaheim Ducks struggled at times this season and were taken out of the playoffs early by the Dallas Stars. Towards the end of the season San Jose gave Detroit a run for 1st in the NHL, but came up short as the team cooled off as the playoffs began leading to a near loss to Calgary and an eventual loss to Dallas. The Minnesota Wild finished 3rd in the West and had a great series against Colorado in which they lost. It seemed that the West was all Detroit... How did they fair when meeting the East???

The 2007-2008 Stanley Cup Finals. Detroit met the Pittsburgh Penguins in what promised to be a very close series. I was shocked. Detroit shut the Penguins out in games 1 and 2. However once entering the Igloo, the Pens finally picked up a win and it looked like the series was finally getting good. The momentum was short lived though as in game 4 Detroit took a 3-1 series lead with Pittsburgh coming very close to scoring as time ran out. Though Detroit had a 3-1 series lead they would not quit. Game 5 with the cup all but won, Pittsburgh scored with around 30 seconds left in the game sending it to overtime. After 2 full periods of overtime, and some AMAZING play by Fleury, the Penguins won the game and set up a game 6 back in Pittsburgh. Still apparently not fully recovered from triple overtime, the Detroit Red Wings outplayed the Penguins nearly the whole game making them the Stanley Cup Champs.

The Detroit Red Wings in the finals were just so much more disciplened and completley outplayed the Penguins all series long... CONGRADULATIONS TO JUSTIN AND THE DETROIT RED WINGS!

I started following hockey in the 06-07 season. Even though they missed the playoffs that season, I started to like the Canadiens, and they've been my team since then.

I don't know everything about all the NHL teams, so I don't know enough to say who's got a good shot at the Cup next year. I'm really hoping the Habs get that 1 seed again though, and I think if Smolinski, Brisebois, Streit, and Ryder make their way back, we've got a good shot. I think if Price can toughen up a bit in the net, we'll be good to go. The window of opportunity may be closing though after this year.

From what I saw (and heard from Don Cherry ;))the Wings've got a good shot to repeat.

Damn I feel like I'm back in the past now. The Devils have picked back up Brian Rolston and Bobby Holik. Now I couldn't care less about Bobby cause he's sucked ever since leaving NJ, but John Madden and Brian Rolston on the same team just screams short handed oppertunities. Also rumors are floating around of Shanahan being in talks with the Devils. Also my friend's neighbor happens to be none other than..... JIM DOWD!!!! Friggen awesome. Anyway, the significance in that is if no team picks him up as a player, the Devils have offered him a coaching job! So far that's pretty much it from the Devils. I know that Rolston will add some offensive defense, and we'll just have to see what happens with Holik. Bottom line is he played for the Rangers... Right after us....

I have never looked here before, but I'm glad I did. I'm a hockey fanatic also and a Leafs fanatic. This season is going to be very tough to predict. Many teams have improved, but I'm looking at Chicago to make some noise. I can't help but look at the Red Wings to repeat, although I thought the Ducks would last season. It's just too hard to do it back-to-back, but if any team can it's gonna be the Wings.

The West is once again wide open and the East is always competitive. Each conference has their elite teams, but after that it's fair game.

I'll discuss more once we get this thing going.

From the way I look at it... Right now the Wings look like they are once again going to be one of the most dominant teams in the league. Much like this past season I expect to see them run away with the West. Add Hossa on top of all the guys from this past season and you have one monster of a team. Looking at the Devils... It really looks like we have a solid team coming this season. If we can get past the struggles of not scoring we'll be fine. Now that we have Holik and Rolston back... I'm hoping they'll be able to help the younger guys get it together and put some pucks in the back of the net. It's almost August and the season is still a ways away, but still tons to talk about and I'll discuss with anyone!

I'm dying for hockey!!! COunting down the days until training camp and fantasy league. In fact, I just go my Devils logo tattoo (20+ years of season tix) on my left calf. In Oct the three cups will be put on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back