• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2008-09 NHL Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the Devils finally clinched a spot in the playoffs last night. However... It has now been 7 count em 7 games since the Devils won a game in regulation. We are on a two game win streak, but both of those thanks to overtime or shootout goals... I'm definatly pullin for the caps right now though.... Would love to see them in the playoffs.

I'm not gonna lie it's so nice living in the Burgh right about now... I mean the Pens are playing not only ridiculous but so physical it's not even funny anymore... I mean I used to laugh about our hits but I'm starting to feel bad for guys now... I'm thinking the Cup but don't want to see the Caps or the Rangers in the playoffs... Whether we win or not the Caps would be sucha physical series... And I hate the Rangers plain and simple... Regardless all I know is I'm about to start rockin the playoff beard... Ya feel me??? haha

I feel like me and a7xoff might have a few "oral arguments" in the next few weeks... That's if the Devils stop playing soft and start competing for the division... Oh wait nvm...

Alright everyone PLAYOFF TIME!!!!!! The Eastern Conference looks like this...
1.) Montreal Canadians vs 8.) Boston Bruins
2.) Pittsburgh Penguins vs 7.) Ottowa Senators
3.) Washington Capitals vs 6.) Philidelphia Flyers
4.) New Jersey Devils vs 5.) New York Rangers

As far as predictions go... I think that Montreal will wipe Boston out in just 5 games. Pittsburgh I think will take out Ottowa in 6. The Capitals and Flyers could go either way. Should be a good series that could go 7 games. I hate to say it, but the Devils are riding a 10 game no win in regulation streak... Not good... I hope to see them get they're acts together and win in 6...

THE WESTERN CONFERENCE
The way things are looking it will be...
1.) Detroit Red Wings vs 8.) Nashville Preadators
2.) San Jose Sharks vs 7.) Calgary Flames
3.) Minnesota Wild vs 6.) Colorado Avalanche
4.) Anaheim Ducks vs 5.) Dallas Stars

My predictions...
The Red Wings should sweep Nashville as they've already beaten them 100000 times this year... Sharks had a rough game against Dallas to end they're season, but I still think they'll put the Flames out in 4 or 5. Minnesota vs Colorado should be the 2nd best matchup of the Western Quaterfinals. Colorado I think is a much better team then the standings show... I expect the series to go 7 games, and really can't predict a winner... Finally I look to see the Ducks shut down the Stars in 6. Why not 7? Cause Marty Turko=playoff choke...

Overall impression of this years playoffs... I can sum it up in one sentence... It's going to be one Hell of a ride :)

Wes! Wes! wes! Where are you buddy my Dallas Stars loving rival! Someone go get Wes! Tell him that Coolhayek aka Rob is calling him out and saying right here right now that the Ducks are gonna beat the Stars in this series 4 games to 2. I called it right here. Selanne, Pronger, Niedermeyer, Jiggy, Getzlaf, Perry, Weight, Carter, soo much talent...u guys have Modano and Turco...Turco is a playoff choker indeed......GO DUCKS BEAT THE STARS....someone go get Wes!

Might as well get Justin too. I mean really Detroit is actually going to have to face good teams once they get past Nashville. It seems evey year they face they're division and as soon as they are faceing a non division team they loose. I wanna see a good Ducks/Stars argument from hayek and Wes. Can't wait for tomorrow!!!!! It all begins!

Might as well get Justin too. I mean really Detroit is actually going to have to face good teams once they get past Nashville. It seems evey year they face they're division and as soon as they are faceing a non division team they loose.

See here's the problem with Detroit, and i fear the same thing happens again this year, it seems like every time they get a high seed they lose out in the first or second round, and I get all sorts of pissed off, I see Detroit beating the Preds but it's gonna be something like 6 games, I also hope they don't put Hasek in net, I hate that fuckwad, and Osgood has proven to be the more consistent goaltender this year

but if Detroit fails to make it to the cup, I hoping that either Minnesota or Pittsburgh does, either of them don't then I'm hoping for a team from Canada...well except Montreal, they already have 23 Stanley Cups, do they really need another one?

Detroit really seems to struggle in the post season, so I really don't see them getting the whole way there. They are not nearly as impressive as they were the beginning of the season. However it is the playoffs now so everything is up in the air. I really think that some of these series are going to be too close to call until it's all over. Lots of competition this year with the standings being sooo close. I'm hopin the Penguins sweep the Sens... I hate that team so much...

Damn you Hayek ;)

Damn, I didn't want the Stars to draw the Ducks or any division rival for that matter. They'll know us alot better than most teams, and the Ducks are some dirty little bastards. Your all right about Chokeco, I'm hoping this is the year he gets over the play choking ways, but I don't know. The Ducks are the last team I really wanted them to face. I still like our chances if we don't let their physicality light us up in a tough 7 game series, I think we can win, but every home game needs to be a win.

I feel like a heel wrestler calling out the legendary wrestler that has not shown up...WES WHERE R U? I want a Stars-Ducks argument! On myu radio show I predicted Ducks in 6....with bigger men and more talent...sorry A7xoff I said Rangers in 5...like u said....u guys cant score any goals but I do hate the Senators too and Daniel Alfredson they will go down in 5...Canadiens to SWEEP THE BRUINS....Avs to upset the Wild in 6 games....Wings to win in 5....Sharks in 5 and Capitals in 6...but on another note...where the hell is WES? Anahiem Ducks willwin this series behind JS Giguerre and great defense....they also have Pronger and Niedermeyer or as many of u refer to Pronger as "Jackass" which he is...but thats why I like him..hes like a heel Triple-H...he picks on everyone with no remorse.....thats why hes a proven winner...but we also have Selanne and Carter and Perry and Getzlaf... also Doug Weight and Todd bertuzzi....man the Ducks have a great team and will show Dallas something in thsi round....playoffs are a whole new season....WES....where the hell are you?
Rob

Yeah the Duck are bastards and thats what makes them awesome...so many eyars ago the Ducks never played like this and they always sucked....they started getting meaner and tougher...whats the old saying "Nice Guys finish last"..."Badasses always kicking ass"///old Undertaker american badass reference...GO DUCKS BEAT THE STARS!

I feel like a heel wrestler calling out the legendary wrestler that has not shown up...WES WHERE R U? I want a Stars-Ducks argument! On myu radio show I predicted Ducks in 6....with bigger men and more talent...sorry A7xoff I said Rangers in 5...like u said....u guys cant score any goals but I do hate the Senators too and Daniel Alfredson they will go down in 5...Canadiens to SWEEP THE BRUINS....Avs to upset the Wild in 6 games....Wings to win in 5....Sharks in 5 and Capitals in 6...but on another note...where the hell is WES? Anahiem Ducks willwin this series behind JS Giguerre and great defense....they also have Pronger and Niedermeyer or as many of u refer to Pronger as "Jackass" which he is...but thats why I like him..hes like a heel Triple-H...he picks on everyone with no remorse.....thats why hes a proven winner...but we also have Selanne and Carter and Perry and Getzlaf... also Doug Weight and Todd bertuzzi....man the Ducks have a great team and will show Dallas something in thsi round....playoffs are a whole new season....WES....where the hell are you?
Rob

I say Rangers in five... I really hate saying it I want to wash my mouth out with soap after I say it. I really do. That's my predcition right now. Devils have gone 11 straight without a regulation win... Terrible... Terrible... Terrible... If the Devils come out and rip the Rangers apart tomorrow I will be very, very pleasantly surprised.

Wes do you really think Turco can get over his choke? Cause I sure as Hell don't. If the Stars are going to win (which hopefully they wont) They're going to need to do it offencesivly which is going to be tough since the Ducks are a Defence team

Games like tonight are what I knew would happen if the Ducks played the Stars...we were stupid enough to committ too many penalties and we gave the Stars an early chance too many times....the reasons why the Stars won 4-0...
1. lack of discipline
2. bad passing
3. bad movement of puck
The Ducks will fix it in Game 2 Im pretty sure because Carlyle will not let them slip further...

The Ducks played a horrible game last night. They looked worse then the Devils honestly. You know the Devils, the team that hasn't won a regulation game in now 12 straight... X_X... Yah seriously though the Ducks were terrible besides the first five minutes of the game. I had to stop watching about 1/2 way through the second mainly because Igot bored of watching the penalty kill...

So tonight there are three games I want to watch, problem is they all have the same start time. Obviously I'll be watching the Devils/Rangers, but if that blows up again like it did last game I'll probably see if the Pens are owning Ottowa again. I'll also probably switch over to the Philly game to see Ovechkin... I see the Sharks tied the seris against the Flames with a shutout. That's good, I didn't think the Sharks really played well at all in game 1.

The Pens are absolutley on fire right now. I never realized just how stacked we are and our D is straight nasty. Im pretty sure were winning the East but the West is dirty baby and if we play the Wings or the Sharks its gonna be a long round...

Well I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I do check it out every now and then.

I was rather surprised to see the Bruins make the playoffs this year. We've had alot of injuries, and have often times just appeared lethargic. Atleast it seemed that way whenever I started to pay attention to them.

Besides, we're facing Montreal. We're pretty much fucked.

I love how all u guys are jumping off the bandwagon of the Ducks after one bad game, especially u a7xoff, u guys do know it is ONE GAME....ONE GAME! Plus the Sharks also lost game 1 and won game 2...so expect a much better effort from the Ducks in game 2...I expect a better effort from the Devils too...The Ducks are not Stanley Cup champs for nothing...they are damn talented and Perry is coming back soon so I expect a long series with the Ducks eventually winning....last night was a wakeup call and u better damn well expect that carlyle had those players doing drill after drill after drill after drill after that horrendus loss.

I love how all u guys are jumping off the bandwagon of the Ducks after one bad game, especially u a7xoff, u guys do know it is ONE GAME....ONE GAME! Plus the Sharks also lost game 1 and won game 2...so expect a much better effort from the Ducks in game 2...I expect a better effort from the Devils too...The Ducks are not Stanley Cup champs for nothing...they are damn talented and Perry is coming back soon so I expect a long series with the Ducks eventually winning....last night was a wakeup call and u better damn well expect that carlyle had those players doing drill after drill after drill after drill after that horrendus loss.

Hey, I ain't jumpin off the Ducks at all... All I was saying wast that they played a terrible game and they beat themselves. The Devils on the otherhand have not played a good game in I don't know how long and are in a 2-0 series hole. Do I expect to see the same thing with the Ducks? No. They are too good on defense to allow that to happen. If it wasn't for all the ridiculous penalties in game 1, I think it would have went into OT

Ok say we're generally 1/2 wayish through the first round and so far we have...
In the East...

Montreal is leading Boston by a series of 2-1. Boston is really improving each game, and they just beat the Canadiens in game 3. Montreal better watch it, cause each game Boston is improving drastically. I think this series can go 6-7 games as long as Boston keeps playing how they are now.

Pittsburgh is leading Ottowa by a series of 2-0. The Pens are absolutley on fire against the Sens, and not only are they winning games, but they're causing the Sens a lot of injuries. With the amount of injuries Ottowa has to they're key players, I would not be surprised to see them sweep the Sens now.

Washington and Philly have a 1-1 series tie. Its really Ovechkin versus the Flyers team. Philly registered another shutout to even the series. Biron is really turning up the heat at the right time. I still think this series will go 6 possibly 7.

The Devils finally won a game last night. I cannot go on about how important that game was. If the Devils play just a little bit better then they did last night... They will crush the Rangers. They, except for a few breakdowns really took it to the Rangers last night. Should the Devils keep playing the way they did... Then they could win the series in either 6-7 games.

Detroit has a 2-0 series lead, and really it's no surprise. I still say they'll sweep the Preadators, but again, it'll be interesting to see how they fair against a non division team.

The Stars have a 2-0 series lead against the Ducks. This series reminds me a lot of the Devils/Rangers series. Much like the Devils, I still think the Ducks can pull it off. It's only a 2-0 series lead and plenty of Hockey left to play. It just takes 1 game for a team's confidence to go through the roof and become an unstopable force. The Devils didn't have much until last night where the acted like they won the cup after the game. Now they have confidence and the Rangers better watch out. If the Ducks win game 3, then Dallas, just like the Rangers need to watch out cause then there are two teams with mass confidence.

The Flames are leading the Sharks 2-1 after one Hell of a comeback in game 3. Sharks blew a 3 goal lead that they built in the first 5 minutes of the game. The Sharks need to watch that tape and figure out what happened. The Flames were the playoff underdog a few years back, and if they beat the Sharks it will be probably one of the biggest upsets of the first round.

Colorado and Minnesota are all tied up in the series 1-1. Really this series is way up in the air. I have no idea who has the edge, who's playing better, etc. Both teams are so damn equal right now.

Time to save this thread. Yes the Ducks are out but I still watch hockey! This year it is looking like the Penguins are gonna take it all. They have not lost a game yet and it doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. My west pick is still the Red Wings. I think the Red Wings have the best shot at winning now that the team that always beats them(Ducks) are eliminated. Red Wings-Penguins.....gonna happen...FACT!

Finally some one else talks... It's like the quaterfinals ended and so did everyone's attention to the game. I have to say I am really impressed by the Stars. I can't lie about that. They are really kicking the Shark's asses. They are up 3-0 over them for crying out loud. I think Detroit is going to have a serious issue with them should they meet in the conference finals. The East is definatly going to be the Penguins as they have yet to loose a game. Rangers suck so they'll be out soon. Look at the bright sie fellow Devils fans... WE DID NOT GET SWEPT!!! Anyway... I think Philly can take out Montreal. I believe that Wes said that Montreal=overrated and I can't agree more.

Ok so we're down to the four best teams now. We have in the East... The Flyers and the Penguins.... Out West we have the Red Wings and the Stars. Here are my thoughts on the series....

Western Conference: I think this is really Detroit's first test. I really think that they have basically had a free ride to this point. Yes they lost two games to the Preadators, but really did anyone honestly think the Preds could win that series... No... Not to mention the complete rape of the Avalanche whom had a tough first round and have a goalie who I think is very overrated. Dallas on the otherhand I think has proved that they are hungry this year. Turco has not choked at all, and Dallas has really had the cream of the Western crop to contend with. They basically dominated the Ducks, and had a very good series against the Sharks that ended in 4 overtime. This is going to I think be one Hell of a series. I think it will go seven games with Dallas coming out on top. Right now they just seem to be the hungrier team. We'll have to wait and see what happens though.... It really can go eithe way with these two teams...

Eastern Confrence: CONGRADULATIONS TO THE FLYERS. That's the first thing I want to say. They've gone from the worst team in the league last year to at lest the second best Eastern team this year. Very impressive. The Flyers have been doing great this playoff year. They were able to shut down Ovechkin in round 1, which basically ended the Capitals. In round 2 they took Montreal out thus proving that Montreal was highly overrated and that division play, when you have shit teams in your division will win you your division. Montreal I think did just that, then they payed big time when it came to facing a non division team. Pittsburgh on the other hand, I think we all knew that sooner then later they'd be where they are now. In round one they swept the ailing Senators and made it look easy. Then they took down the Rangers in 5 games. ( I still say the Rangers got mad lucky in that game... Pens had a good 3-4 lower crossbar shots). Everything is on the line for both of these teams. The Penguins are looking to finally get back to the cup after recent years of major struggling, and the Flyers are looking to shock the NHL with a cup after being last place last year. This series will go one of two ways. It will either be a blowout in which one team completley lets the other walk over them. If that happens my guess would be that Pittsburgh would be the ones doing the crushing. Or it will be what I think... A 7 game very tough series. Should be very exciting...

I live in the Burgh and have been watching Penguins hockey for a long time... I will go out on a limb and say this years team is better than the team of 91 and thats saying something... Were so young and fresh and even when we play bad we play good... Basically our better is better than your better...Something Like that...LETS GO PENS

I dunno. Pens won tonight, but overall they played kinda sloppy for themselves. I blame the layoff. Even playing sloppy they still owned the Flyers. Flery had some remarkable saves as always. Overall it was a great game though, and the physical aspect of it has picked up already in game 1. I don't think the Flyers are going to be out of the series soon though. They may loose game 2, but expect them to attempt to rally behind that insane Philly crowd. I still say that this series can go 7 games easily, or as I mentioned before... Penguins will crush them in 4-5 games.

Detroit beat Dallas in Game 1... All I have to say about that is that those were not the Stars that played the Ducks an Sharks, and that was the Turco of old. I dubbed this series, "The series of the western chokes" so far Detroit has not choked, and unless Dallas pulls it together for game 2... they're in deep trouble. Detroit is like the Penguins... Give them any momentum and they can't be beat.

habs fan here, dam those flyers, i thought we would have them in 5... but biron stole every game.... since my beloved habs r now gone, im cheering 4 a pens vs wings final. i think that would be crazzy. both teams r pretty equal at the same level, pens having crosby, malkin, stall, hossa, gonchar n wings having zetter, datsuk, holmstrom, franzen, lindstrom...i still think the wings will win, but im definitly cheering 4 the pens, they r definlty the underdogs. A7koff u from the burg?

lol n habs may have been overated 2 others, becuz nobody chose us being close to #1...let me say that ive seen all habs game this season, n overated is not really all that.. they played like i never seen them play, players like kostitsyns bro, kovalev, markov plec, n etc all made name 4 them selve this season, especially when nobody thought they would do anything. they reminded me a lot of the detroit redwings, with the transitional defense n puck movement. the shame is that they didnt play like that in the post season, when the whole world is watching they pretty much played like little girls. so u people 2 say overated by only seeing them play in the post season is crazzzy... they scored the most goals in the nhl, #1 powerplay thanks to carbo, tsn says best transitional movement in the game n the fastest team in the league... prove me wrong

overated i thnk not

did anyone else notice that the refs seemed to want to prolong the Red Wing/Stars series? I mean come on, that first goal by (I forgot his name) should have counted. the second goal SHOULD NOT have counted. Even Barry Melrose said so. had that first goal counted the game would have been soo much different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back