How To Fix The NHL

I agree with you guys on the idiotic so called fans that use the excuse of not watching because they can't follow the puck. I give Bettman credit for making sure that most of the clutching and holding is out of the game. So with HDTV Technology has ended the complaints of not following the puck and the game being much more wide open and still casual fans bitch and complain about this great game. I say to the casual fan who still bitches about not watching this game go fuck yourself. We don't need you and don't want you!

It is possible Oilers moving to Seattle if they can't reach an arena deal with the city of Edmonton. If this happens where is the NHL making sure Oilers stay in Edmonton much like they did with the Coyotes and the failed attemp to keep the Thrashers in Atlanta. I understand the want of hockey in Wisconsin but is there enough hockey fans to keep a team say in Madison. Its a great college hockey market but thats the same reason why they put a team in Columbus and we have seen from a fan standpoint that hockey has failed in another college hockey market. I live in ME and there was a QMJHL Team here and the AHL affiliate fails because here in ME unless its a winning team there isn't enough of passionate fans to support a team. I am a huge proponent of putting a team in NS. Alot of top hockey prospects come from their and what about maybe Saskatoon. I know those two markets are small but the excitement of hockey is as strong as in Montreal and Toronto

It is possible Oilers moving to Seattle if they can't reach an arena deal with the city of Edmonton. If this happens where is the NHL making sure Oilers stay in Edmonton much like they did with the Coyotes and the failed attemp to keep the Thrashers in Atlanta.

I hope this doesn't happen, I hate seeing Canadian teams moved to the states, especially teams with as much history as Edmonton. If teh NHL wants to move a team into Seattle (assuming Seattle could support an NHL franchise), then move the fucking Coyotes up there. Trying to start NHL franchises in in Atlanta, & Phoenix was stupid to begin with.

A- They've already tried & failed with Atlanta years ago with the Flames, that alone should have been a clear indicator that Atlantians don't give a fuck about hockey.

B- Phoenix is in the middle of a fucking desert, who the fuck thinks "You know where would be a great place to set up a hockey franchise, the middle of the fucking desert"?

I understand the want of hockey in Wisconsin but is there enough hockey fans to keep a team say in Madison. Its a great college hockey market but thats the same reason why they put a team in Columbus and we have seen from a fan standpoint that hockey has failed in another college hockey market.

As a hockey fan that grew up near Madison, WI, I can tell you putting an NHL franchise in that city would be a massive failure. There just is no demand for it there, they've had several minor league teams & most of those have failed. If the people living there won't come out to support their minor league teams then what on Earth would make anyone think they would would support an NHL franchise? Wisconsin is just not a big hockey state, outside of the college game, there is just no demand for it, the state is much more of a football state than anything. Hockey just doesn't sell well there, what hockey fans Wisconsin has are usually people who have moved up from the Chicago area, or over from Minnesota, in which case they're goin to be fairly loyal to their Blackhawks & Wild. Madison would be a failure, & Milwaukee probably would fair much better.

The "I can't see the puck" argument is flawed, and an argument that is completely full of shit. Wanna know why?

The size of a puck is approximately 1" thick and 3" in diameter.

By comparison, the size of a tennis ball is between 2.5 and 2.58" — SMALLER than a hockey puck, yet I'm willing to bet NO ONE complains about not being able to see the ball in tennis, eh?

But lemme guess... you can see the tennis ball on the highlights on YouTube or your smartphone? Bullshit.

Hockey doesn't compete with tennis. The 4 major leagues compete with each other. I never watched tennis highlights on my smartphone. I probably never will. That tells you something right there about your argument.

I haven't read to many of the posts. There is no need to fix the NHL, outside of maybe the shootout, but people find that exciting so whatever. The NHL is the best hockey there is. I don't see European hockey so take that as you will. Minors, juniors, and youth that you see on NHL Network are fun, but it's not as good as the NHL. It is the ultimate team sport, that's why there aren't the "Mega stars" like baseball, hockey, and basketball. You're going to get a certain amount of ice time from each guy and that is it. Usually more for defensemen than forwards, but regardless. You have to play as a team.

The problem is ironing out the contract details. Nobody seems to want to come together for the CBA. Owners are demanding it be signed no matter what, and the players want to negotiate. This take it or leave it shit certainly hasn't worked so far. The revenue situation is likely going to fuck them when they finally come to an agreement. Fans are pissed at another lockout, especially one threatening another cancelled season. The whole 50/50 thing is great, but that revenue won't rise for another few years when fans come back.

The years for both contracts and the CBA are the major points in my mind. The owners fucked up last year by hastily doing this, giving the players 57% of revenue and then allowing the players to have an absurd amount of years for a contract. That was a big fuck up. But regardless of everything, both sides are at fault. The PA should've been talking to the owners about a new deal long before this summer, and vice versa. The whole "Let's not meet for a few weeks" thing is weak as shit too! If you wanted hockey, and to not alienate the people that you need to come see you, you'd hammer this shit out quickly and efficiently. The way this has been handled, TWICE, makes them all look like jokes.

The biggest problem owners had with any agreement PA presented was the PA had projected revenue for the next decade and even if the league didn't meet those revenues the cap would automatically go up. The best way to do the cap is nothing like the NFL's but for every $500 mill increase from the previous season cap should go up .5%. The 57% you mentioned owners could not opt out only the PA could. The last two seasons PA agreed to continued the cap because their were two opt in clauses because if the PA didn't agree to either options of the last two seasons the CBA would end and a new CBA would have to be agreed upon. It appears within a few years some teams will either be out of the league or moving to Canada or the Pacific Northwest. Those teams are NJ,Phoenix,Columbus, and Nashville. I do think Bettman is trying to insure from a presentation standpoint that Roger Sports,CBC,and TSN will be available in most US Hockey markets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back