[Official] 2009 MLB Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yankee haters.

NL West - There isn't much to say for this one. The Dodgers have been in full control of this division since the start of the year. They have too many weapons on offense and one of the best pitchers in the game. Juan Pierre is an all-star caliber player sitting on the bench. He can pinch hit, pinch run, or be a defensive sub. He gives them security in case of injury to Andre, Manny, or Matt Kemp in the outfield. They have a great defensive catcher in Rusell Martin, too. I don't see the Giants or Rockies making anything more than a couple of waves.

NL Central - I have to stick with the Cardinals here. The Cards have good starting pitching and the second best 1-2 combo in the big leagues, after A-Rod and Teix, in Pujols and Holliday. They have a shut-down closer on top of that. The Cubs are playing alright, but unless they start to live up to their potential, they'll drop off the table.

NL East - The Mets suck. The Marlins suck. The Braves are irrelevant. The Phillies are on fire. Simple, really.

NL Wildcard - I like the Giants.

AL West - The Angels have forgotten how to lose. The Rangers are good, but they can't seem to play consistently. Angels are going to cruise to the playoffs and continue to be one of the most underrated teams in the league, as they have been this entire decade.

AL Central - The White Sox have shown that they can handle my Yankees, even if they drugged them before the games. Regardless of how they won, they've proven to be resourceful. They have great pitching and play good small ball. I like the ChiSox.

AL East - The Yankees have the best offense in the game, two great pitchers up front, and a rising star in Joba Chamberlin. Andy Pettite is a solid veteran who can get the job done. The Red Sox series this weekend will tell us who comes out of the division on top, and who wins the Wildcard. I like the Yankees.

AL Wildcard - Hopefully not the Red Sox, but they'll probably win it anyway.

AL Divisional - The Red Sox will take out the Angels in four games. They're just better. Same with the Yankees over the White Sox.

NL Divisional - Giants > Dodgers. Phillies > Cardinals.

ALCS - In an epic 2004 rematch, the Yankees will do what they should have done then. That is, sweep the Red Sox.

NLCS - I like the underdog, and see Lincecum pitching with a bloody sock or something and leading the Giants past the Big Red Machine.

World Series - Lincecum's sock is too bloody, and he can't pitch any more. Yankees win.

(I got lazy there at the end. Those are my real predictions, but not the way I said them.)

I have to debate this one but are you kidding me. The WhiteSox winning it all. I know its your favorite team but dont show your bias. Jarrod Washburn right now is one of the top 5 pitchers in the MLB in the past month. Verlander just lost his first game at home all year. Yes their rest of rotation is shaky but they were in first without Washburn and I think he keeps them in first rest of the way. Well you are relying on a man to come back in September which is a stretch, and he definitely wont be 100% to lead your team to playoffs let alone a World Series. The Red Sox by far have a better rotation then the White Sox, the Yankees have a better rotation and so do the Angels for that matter.

Hahaha. Winning it all is a stretch, but hell so was the Rockies making it to the World Series in 2007, or the Red Sox coming back in 2004.

Washburn can be met with Mark Buehrle, arguably the most underrated lefty in the game. Verlander can be matched with Gavin Floyd. Edwin Jackson can be matched with John Danks. Who else do the Tigers have after that? The White Sox will have Jose Contreras, and a still better than average Jake Peavy. Advantage White Sox. I won't even get to the bullpen. It is still funny you think Tiger pitching is better.

Yankees have a better rotation? Such a joke. CC Sabathia is having an okay year, and didn't do anything in the playoffs last year. But again, Mark Buehrle can match up with him. AJ Burnett? Too inconsistent, great stuff but is hit and miss. Pettitte? Passed his prime, but still has his pick off move. Joba, I don't know if he can keep up how he has been pitching. Who else is there? Sergio Mitre? Haha that is laughable at mentioning it. Wang is still on the DL, if you pull the Peavy DL card you have to keep with Wang. Good bullpen, but still very young other than Rivera.

Angels can be matched up well with them. As I said, it would take 7 games. Starters could go pound for pound, it would be awesome. But the edge would go to the White Sox in the bullpen. I should have clarified that. As I said, smart ball would be the key to that series, guaranteed. Besides, it isn't about who is the best team, it is about who is the hottest team at the time.

Red Sox is your strongest case. The depth of the rotation would go in favor of the Red Sox no doubt. But with a set rotation, the White Sox could match them. It would be even, but the bullpen would go to the White Sox again. Papelbon is arguably the best closer in the game, no arguments there. But the other relievers I don't know if they can hold up. But I also said that the Red Sox have a better offensive team, no one is arguing that. I just said that the White Sox are a better timely offensive team. Also, it would go all 5 games. And like I said just above with the Angels, you can be the best team in the game, but it doesn't mean jack if you aren't hot at the time of the playoffs.

PS, 48.7 I didn't mean to hate on the Yankees, it just sort of happened.

Washburn can be met with Mark Buehrle, arguably the most underrated lefty in the game. Verlander can be matched with Gavin Floyd. Edwin Jackson can be matched with John Danks. Who else do the Tigers have after that? The White Sox will have Jose Contreras, and a still better than average Jake Peavy. Advantage White Sox. I won't even get to the bullpen. It is still funny you think Tiger pitching is better.

Well let's see. The Tigers team ERA is 4.11, and the White Sox team ERA is 4.13. Not a big difference, but it's definitely enough to say the Tigers have a better pitching staff.

Let's look at your comparisons. You say Buehrle is better then Washburn. Buehrle has a better record but his ERA is 3.79 and Washburns is 2.93. I still might be able to give you the fact that Buehrle is a better overall pitcher, but all that means is that your best pitcher is better then the Tigers third best. Congratulations.

You say Verlander can be matched by Gavin Floyd? That is fucking hilarious. Floyd has a 4.07 ERA with 116 strike outs and an 8-6 record. Verlander has a 3.29 ERA with an AL leading 180 strikeouts and a 12-5 record.

Then you say Danks can match Edwin Jackson. Another joke. Danks is 9-7 with a 4.00 ERA and 100 strikeouts. Jackson has gotten some of the worst run support in the majors and he still has a 7-5 record, a 2.64 ERA which is the second best in the AL, and he has 109 strikeouts.

Then you talk about Contreras and Peavy. Let's see Jose Contreras is 4-10 with a 4.95 ERA. Those are not good numbers at all. He has been horrible this season. Then with Peavy you don't even know if he can come back this season. Even if he does come back in September I highly doubt he's going to be pitching very well after missing almost the entire season.

The Tigers still have Rick Porcello, and even though he's young his numbers aren't that bad. He's 9-7 with a 4.36 ERA. Then the fifth spot in the rotation they don't have much you're right. Galarraga has been even worse then Contreras this year. But Jeremy Bonderman is rehabbing and there is a possibility he could return soon. It's not that great of a chance, but it's just as good of a chance as Peavy returning and pitching well.

The Tigers bullpen is also better because they are deeper then the White Sox. Chicago really only has 4 guys in the bullpen that are any good including Bobby Jenks. The other three are Thorton, Dotel, and Linebrink. The latter three all have ERA's under 3, but after those guys their bullpen is shit. The Tigers have 4 guys in their bullpen with at least 30 appearances and an ERA under 4.00. They also have a young guy, Fu Te Ni, who has a 2.45 ERA in the 15 appearances that he has made since being called up. Joel Zumaya will also be coming back soon and although he hasn't pitched well this season it's hard to hit a 103 mph fastball.

Finally let's look at the closers. You'd think Bobby Jenks would be better then Fernando Rodney but he really isn't. Jenks has a 4.21 ERA and is 22 of 26 in save opportunities. Fernando Rodney has a 3.52 ERA and is 21 of 22 in save opportunities.

There you have it. Tigers pitching > White Sox pitching. The numbers don't lie.

Well let's see. The Tigers team ERA is 4.11, and the White Sox team ERA is 4.13. Not a big difference, but it's definitely enough to say the Tigers have a better pitching staff.

Ahh yes because number crunching is fun. Thank you for presenting me with a debate. Oh and thanks for calling me bitch in the Bar Room. Very nice of you. Currently, as of right now, which as I type is 12:31 AM Central Time, the White Sox team era is 4.15, whereas the Tigers is 4.18. Like you say, its enough to say better staff. Also as a team, the Tigers have 738 strikeouts and 383 walks. White Sox have 749 strikeouts, and 355 walks. As a team, White Sox > Tigers. Also, both pitching staffs keep their teams in the game. That is more important to me than W-L or a low era or strikeouts.

Let's look at your comparisons. You say Buehrle is better then Washburn. Buehrle has a better record but his ERA is 3.79 and Washburns is 2.93. I still might be able to give you the fact that Buehrle is a better overall pitcher, but all that means is that your best pitcher is better then the Tigers third best. Congratulations.

Now if this were a playoff series, these two would not be matched up. Buehrle would face Verlander, ace vs. ace. I just meant that Washburn can be met talentwise with Buehrle. So I can just make it easier, overall Buehrle is better than Washburn. He pitches to contact, so obviously his ERA is going to be inflated a bit. Buehrle has 28 walks on the season, Washburn has 35. Washburn has 81 strikeouts to Buehrle's 79. By golly that is a huge difference. Both keep their teams in the game, but Buehrle has more wins. Washburn isn't a savior, he is 106-107 in his career for fucks sake.

You say Verlander can be matched by Gavin Floyd? That is fucking hilarious. Floyd has a 4.07 ERA with 116 strike outs and an 8-6 record. Verlander has a 3.29 ERA with an AL leading 180 strikeouts and a 12-5 record.

Again, they wouldn't be matched up, Floyd is going to be the 4th starter behind Buehrle, Peavy, and Danks. But he has some very good stuff. Especially against the Tigers if you didn't know. 5-0 with a 3.38 era. Verlander is 4-9 against the White Sox, with an era of 4.97. Gee, on paper I would think Floyd would be better head to head with Verlander. But of course that is why you play the game. Both have killer stuff, key is, Verlander is the ace, Floyd isn't. Also, Verlander has pitched more with Detroit, Floyd didn't have a full season until last year, due to needing a change from Philly.

Then you say Danks can match Edwin Jackson. Another joke. Danks is 9-7 with a 4.00 ERA and 100 strikeouts. Jackson has gotten some of the worst run support in the majors and he still has a 7-5 record, a 2.64 ERA which is the second best in the AL, and he has 109 strikeouts.

This one is a wash. Danks had the same thing happen to him last year, he didn't get run support but still had a low era for most of the season. Run support is an easy argument for why a pitchers record isn't what it should be. It happens. Again with the strikeouts. Seriously, both keep their team in the game, and that is what you ask of your pitchers. Statistically Jackson>Danks. Looking at the bigger picture, it is a wash.

Then you talk about Contreras and Peavy. Let's see Jose Contreras is 4-10 with a 4.95 ERA. Those are not good numbers at all. He has been horrible this season. Then with Peavy you don't even know if he can come back this season. Even if he does come back in September I highly doubt he's going to be pitching very well after missing almost the entire season.

Contreras is struggling, yes. His rhythm is off, but I am willing to put money on the fact that he will find it. And when he does, look out. Remember the end of 2005? That will happen if he just remembers where he needs to be in his head. He has some great stuff, it is just whether or not he can figure it out between the ears. Peavy will be back this year, barring a setback during rehab. He has thrown off the mound recently, and his ankle is weak because he wasn't doing anything on it. He has a month of rehab he will do, and will be with the team for the September push. Even an above average Jake Peavy is still good, remember 2007 Cy Young Award winner?

The Tigers still have Rick Porcello, and even though he's young his numbers aren't that bad. He's 9-7 with a 4.36 ERA. Then the fifth spot in the rotation they don't have much you're right. Galarraga has been even worse then Contreras this year. But Jeremy Bonderman is rehabbing and there is a possibility he could return soon. It's not that great of a chance, but it's just as good of a chance as Peavy returning and pitching well.

Porcello is doing okay. In the series it would be him vs. Contreras. Porcello gets the advantage because Contreras is too wild currently. Bonderman can possibly return, but his career hasn't been great, so he can't be comparable to Jake Peavy.

The Tigers bullpen is also better because they are deeper then the White Sox. Chicago really only has 4 guys in the bullpen that are any good including Bobby Jenks. The other three are Thorton, Dotel, and Linebrink. The latter three all have ERA's under 3, but after those guys their bullpen is shit. The Tigers have 4 guys in their bullpen with at least 30 appearances and an ERA under 4.00. They also have a young guy, Fu Te Ni, who has a 2.45 ERA in the 15 appearances that he has made since being called up. Joel Zumaya will also be coming back soon and although he hasn't pitched well this season it's hard to hit a 103 mph fastball.

White Sox bullpen is now being underrated. Come on Big Sexy. I know you know more than just those three relievers before Jenks. DJ Carrasco, he is the long innings collector out of the bullpen when starters, such as Conteras on Tuesday night, don't have their stuff. He has 36 appearances, equalling 68 and 1/3 innings pitched, and still his era is at 3.95. I'd say that is very good for a long innings reliever. So your 4 for the Tigers has just been matched with 4 for the White Sox, not including closers.

Zumaya? Yes Joel Zumaya is a good fiery pitcher who can light up the gun. But let me ask you this. Are you going swing at a 103 mph fastball that isn't around the plate? If he can find the plate then yes, he will be huge for the Tigers once again, but that is if he doesn't reinjure his shoulder, because the wear and tear on your shoulder when you throw that hard has to suck. Fu Te NI is doing well right now, but it is only 15 games he has pitched in. I will keep my eye on him a bit though.

Finally let's look at the closers. You'd think Bobby Jenks would be better then Fernando Rodney but he really isn't. Jenks has a 4.21 ERA and is 22 of 26 in save opportunities. Fernando Rodney has a 3.52 ERA and is 21 of 22 in save opportunities.

This year, you are correct that Rodney is having a better year so far. Jenks lately has been in trouble. He has been missing his spots, which is why he is getting hit. But Kidney Stones are a bitch, lets see if he can finish the season strong. Career wise I would take Jenks though. 3 straight seasons of at least 30 saves, looking to make it 4. 2 seasons of 40+ saves. Other than last year when Rodney went 13-19 in save opportunities, he didn't have at least 10 saves. Career ERA for Rodney, 4.14. Jenks has a 3.24.

There you have it. Tigers pitching > White Sox pitching. The numbers don't lie.

Wow, I thought stats in baseball used to be deceiving. But your right, the numbers just don't lie. Damn this took over an hour to do. I hope you read it all. I'm having fun with this. Are you?

Ahh yes because number crunching is fun. Thank you for presenting me with a debate. Oh and thanks for calling me bitch in the Bar Room. Very nice of you. Currently, as of right now, which as I type is 12:31 AM Central Time, the White Sox team era is 4.15, whereas the Tigers is 4.18. Like you say, its enough to say better staff. Also as a team, the Tigers have 738 strikeouts and 383 walks. White Sox have 749 strikeouts, and 355 walks. As a team, White Sox > Tigers. Also, both pitching staffs keep their teams in the game. That is more important to me than W-L or a low era or strikeouts.

As far as calling you a bitch goes, consider it a term of endearment. Going back to the team ERA the Tigers is once again better then Chicago's after last night, but it seems to be switching day in and day out so we can come to the conclusion that it is fairly equal. These are two of the best pitching staffs in all of baseball, and neither is that much better then the other. However, this season the Tigers have been slightly better. For you to say in an earlier post that it is "funny" to believe the Tigers pitching staff is better then the White Sox is nothing but ignorance on your part.
Now if this were a playoff series, these two would not be matched up. Buehrle would face Verlander, ace vs. ace. I just meant that Washburn can be met talentwise with Buehrle. So I can just make it easier, overall Buehrle is better than Washburn. He pitches to contact, so obviously his ERA is going to be inflated a bit. Buehrle has 28 walks on the season, Washburn has 35. Washburn has 81 strikeouts to Buehrle's 79. By golly that is a huge difference. Both keep their teams in the game, but Buehrle has more wins. Washburn isn't a savior, he is 106-107 in his career for fucks sake.

I'm well aware it would be Buehrle vs Verlander in the playoffs, I was just going by your comparisons from your earlier post. Overall Buehrle is better then Washburn, I already gave you that. And I never said Washburn was a savior. He's the third best pitcher in the Tigers rotation and he gives them much needed depth.
Again, they wouldn't be matched up, Floyd is going to be the 4th starter behind Buehrle, Peavy, and Danks. But he has some very good stuff. Especially against the Tigers if you didn't know. 5-0 with a 3.38 era. Verlander is 4-9 against the White Sox, with an era of 4.97. Gee, on paper I would think Floyd would be better head to head with Verlander. But of course that is why you play the game. Both have killer stuff, key is, Verlander is the ace, Floyd isn't. Also, Verlander has pitched more with Detroit, Floyd didn't have a full season until last year, due to needing a change from Philly.

Floyd is very good. Probably the second best pitcher on your staff. I've never been too impressed with Danks, Contreras is just bad, and Peavy at best will be your 4th starter after his injury. However, in Detroit Floyd would be behind Verlander, Jackson, and Washburn.

You talk about Verlander's struggles against the White Sox and in previous years you would be right. But this year Verlander has been amazing against Chicago and this year is the one we're talking about. Past years go out the window. This season against the White Sox Verlander is 2-0, he has only given up 2 runs and only 1 earned run, and he pitched a complete game both times. All of his struggles against Chicago are a thing of the past.

This one is a wash. Danks had the same thing happen to him last year, he didn't get run support but still had a low era for most of the season. Run support is an easy argument for why a pitchers record isn't what it should be. It happens. Again with the strikeouts. Seriously, both keep their team in the game, and that is what you ask of your pitchers. Statistically Jackson>Danks. Looking at the bigger picture, it is a wash.

Jackson is better statistically and overall. Why do you say it's a wash looking at the bigger picture? Danks has had a good season, but Jackson has had one of the best in the majors. He has the second best ERA in the AL with the least amount of run support in the AL. Jackson doesn't just keep the Tigers in games, he almost single-handedly gets them victories.

Contreras is struggling, yes. His rhythm is off, but I am willing to put money on the fact that he will find it. And when he does, look out. Remember the end of 2005? That will happen if he just remembers where he needs to be in his head. He has some great stuff, it is just whether or not he can figure it out between the ears. Peavy will be back this year, barring a setback during rehab. He has thrown off the mound recently, and his ankle is weak because he wasn't doing anything on it. He has a month of rehab he will do, and will be with the team for the September push. Even an above average Jake Peavy is still good, remember 2007 Cy Young Award winner?

Yes I do remember Contreras in 2005, but do you remember him in 2007, 2008, and 2009. He's been horrible not just this year, but the last three years. I don't know why you keep bringing up past successes and failures. This year is the one that matters, and this year Contreras is bad. As far as Peavy goes, there is no way to guarantee he will be back. Setbacks happen all the time in rehab. Even if he does come back he would have missed three months. Pitchers just don't come back after a long layoff like that and start pitching like Cy Young contenders. It takes a few starts to get your rhythm back and the White Sox don't have that kind of time.

Porcello is doing okay. In the series it would be him vs. Contreras. Porcello gets the advantage because Contreras is too wild currently. Bonderman can possibly return, but his career hasn't been great, so he can't be comparable to Jake Peavy.

I'm not trying to compare Bondo to Peavy. I'm just saying that if Bonderman comes back he could be an upgrade over Galarraga at the 5th spot in the rotation for the last month of the season.
White Sox bullpen is now being underrated. Come on Big Sexy. I know you know more than just those three relievers before Jenks. DJ Carrasco, he is the long innings collector out of the bullpen when starters, such as Conteras on Tuesday night, don't have their stuff. He has 36 appearances, equalling 68 and 1/3 innings pitched, and still his era is at 3.95. I'd say that is very good for a long innings reliever. So your 4 for the Tigers has just been matched with 4 for the White Sox, not including closers.

I did forget about Carrasco, but even with him I believe the Tigers still have the better bullpen. If you take the ERA's of the White Sox top 5 in the bullpen and match it with the Tigers top 5, the Tigers have a 3.19 ERA and Chicago has a 3.27. Again not a big difference, but it's enough to prove that the Tigers bullpen is a lot better then people think and slightly better then Chicago's.

Zumaya? Yes Joel Zumaya is a good fiery pitcher who can light up the gun. But let me ask you this. Are you going swing at a 103 mph fastball that isn't around the plate? If he can find the plate then yes, he will be huge for the Tigers once again, but that is if he doesn't reinjure his shoulder, because the wear and tear on your shoulder when you throw that hard has to suck. Fu Te NI is doing well right now, but it is only 15 games he has pitched in. I will keep my eye on him a bit though.

I'm not denying that Zumaya has been very erratic this season. I'm just saying that if he comes back with some control it just adds another dimension to the Tigers bullpen that the White Sox really don't have. There's no guarantee he will come back, but even without him the Tigers bullpen is more then capable of getting the job done.
This year, you are correct that Rodney is having a better year so far. Jenks lately has been in trouble. He has been missing his spots, which is why he is getting hit. But Kidney Stones are a bitch, lets see if he can finish the season strong. Career wise I would take Jenks though. 3 straight seasons of at least 30 saves, looking to make it 4. 2 seasons of 40+ saves. Other than last year when Rodney went 13-19 in save opportunities, he didn't have at least 10 saves. Career ERA for Rodney, 4.14. Jenks has a 3.24.

Once again I don't give two shits about the past. This season is what matters, and this season Rodney has been great. He's now 22 for 23 in save opportunities. He's getting the job done. This year Jenks just hasn't been his usual self, especially recently. Right now I'd be more comfortable seeing Rodney go out and try for a save then I would be to see Jenks.
Wow, I thought stats in baseball used to be deceiving. But your right, the numbers just don't lie. Damn this took over an hour to do. I hope you read it all. I'm having fun with this. Are you?

I always have fun winning debates.

As far as calling you a bitch goes, consider it a term of endearment. Going back to the team ERA the Tigers is once again better then Chicago's after last night, but it seems to be switching day in and day out so we can come to the conclusion that it is fairly equal. These are two of the best pitching staffs in all of baseball, and neither is that much better then the other. However, this season the Tigers have been slightly better. For you to say in an earlier post that it is "funny" to believe the Tigers pitching staff is better then the White Sox is nothing but ignorance on your part.

I'll keep that term of endearment in mind. You are right, I was a bit ignorant in saying that it is funny, when you look at all season. But lately, the White Sox staff has been better the past 2 months than the Tigers. I'd rather see mid-season form compared to the start of the season, when hitters are still trying to find themselves. Also I think we are looking at this differently. I think you are looking at it seasonally. Sure they are having a better season, but I am looking at it from a career perspective. But that is me.

I'm well aware it would be Buehrle vs Verlander in the playoffs, I was just going by your comparisons from your earlier post. Overall Buehrle is better then Washburn, I already gave you that. And I never said Washburn was a savior. He's the third best pitcher in the Tigers rotation and he gives them much needed depth.

I know you didn't say Washburn was a savior. Mr. Baller was saying that Washburn gave them that 1-2 punch. Jackson already is the 2nd in that. So I had to add that quip. He does give them depth, and goes out and eats innings and keeps them in the game. We have that covered.

Floyd is very good. Probably the second best pitcher on your staff. I've never been too impressed with Danks, Contreras is just bad, and Peavy at best will be your 4th starter after his injury. However, in Detroit Floyd would be behind Verlander, Jackson, and Washburn.

Currently, yes Floyd is probably the second best. But he has some of the best stuff on the team, if not the best. On other teams he could be an ace. His curve, when he can throw it for a strike, is similar to that of a video game curveball, similar to Verlander. The past two months, Floyd has an ERA of 2.61. Verlander's is 2.74. Floyd has pitched better than Verlander the past two months. Which is what I am getting at.

John Danks is the man that sent us to the playoffs last year. Thome's home run did but you know what I mean. 7 2/3 innings of shutting down the Twins, with Mauer and Morneau both doing jack squat. I know the its the past. But I am not surprised you are not impressed with him. He has better stuff than Buehrle, but he hasn't translated that to continual shut it down this year. He is still learning in his 3rd year on how to keep an even keel and not get ahead of himself or look past certain games. But, he has pitched well the past few months. June he didn't get run support, and had an ERA of 2.91, and July had an ERA of 3.24. Combined is 3.08.

You talk about Verlander's struggles against the White Sox and in previous years you would be right. But this year Verlander has been amazing against Chicago and this year is the one we're talking about. Past years go out the window. This season against the White Sox Verlander is 2-0, he has only given up 2 runs and only 1 earned run, and he pitched a complete game both times. All of his struggles against Chicago are a thing of the past.

You make a point with Verlander's past struggles. This year he has owned us. But the thing about the past is it likes to rear its ugly head every so often. Can't entirely throw it out. But this year, 2-0 with a 0.50 era, stellar, and a :thumbsup: for him. I enjoy good pitching.

Jackson is better statistically and overall. Why do you say it's a wash looking at the bigger picture? Danks has had a good season, but Jackson has had one of the best in the majors. He has the second best ERA in the AL with the least amount of run support in the AL. Jackson doesn't just keep the Tigers in games, he almost single-handedly gets them victories.

I do say it is a wash because if you are just going by stats, you don't see everything when it comes to the bigger picture. If Jackson is keeping guys off base, which I am guessing he is doing, I don't see many of his starts or highlights of them. But when runners are on, he gets rattled. Especially runners on 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd. Danks gets rattled with a runner on third or in scoring position and 2 outs. It is a whole bunch of stats. SI has them, there are too many to fit on here. But Jackson has pitched with an ERA of 3.04 the past two months, compared to the 3.08 by Danks. Touche.

Yes I do remember Contreras in 2005, but do you remember him in 2007, 2008, and 2009. He's been horrible not just this year, but the last three years. I don't know why you keep bringing up past successes and failures. This year is the one that matters, and this year Contreras is bad. As far as Peavy goes, there is no way to guarantee he will be back. Setbacks happen all the time in rehab. Even if he does come back he would have missed three months. Pitchers just don't come back after a long layoff like that and start pitching like Cy Young contenders. It takes a few starts to get your rhythm back and the White Sox don't have that kind of time.

Contreras is bad yes. When he came back from Triple A this season, he had like 5 or 6 extremely good starts, and is now back to where he was at the start of the season. Like I said, when he figures it out between the ears, teams need to look out. But until that happens, worst of the staff. But he has pitched better the past two months than he did the first two. His ERA for June and July is 3.11. Not horrible.

Peavy, well truth be told we have to wait for him to come back after rehab. If his ankle is as healed as possible, look out. Because you have to remember that the injury wasn't his arm or shoulder, it was his ankle. So I see no reason for him to be the 4th starter if his ankle is feeling good and strong. He is easily going to be 2nd only to Buehrle on this staff in the rotation. It takes time to get adjusted to both a new team, and get your arm comfortable. He can get his rhythm back in Triple A. He will probably make 3-4 starts in Charlotte. But Triple A isn't the Majors, I know. But he can work on getting his timing back, make sure he has the proper mechanics, and when he comes back up, he will be ready.

I'm not trying to compare Bondo to Peavy. I'm just saying that if Bonderman comes back he could be an upgrade over Galarraga at the 5th spot in the rotation for the last month of the season.

Bonderman would be an upgrade, but like you said, he will still need starts to get back into proper pitching condition. If it is his rehab assignment until he gets his condition, awesome for him and good luck on the last month. If not, then the Tigers need to hit while he is trying to get back to form.

I did forget about Carrasco, but even with him I believe the Tigers still have the better bullpen. If you take the ERA's of the White Sox top 5 in the bullpen and match it with the Tigers top 5, the Tigers have a 3.19 ERA and Chicago has a 3.27. Again not a big difference, but it's enough to prove that the Tigers bullpen is a lot better then people think and slightly better then Chicago's.

I give them more credit looking at them than I did, to start this. But I am curious who you mean for the top 5 in the pen. Like honestly I'm not being a smartass. Are you including Rodney? Either way, for a while, the White Sox have been pretty much going with Carrasco, Pena, Dotel, Linebrink, and Thornton before Jenks. Pena is not that impressive to me, I'll give you that. But those 4 guys have been carrying quite a workload, especially Carrasco. He made a spot start for Clayton Richard after the Peavy deal, and actually kept the White Sox in the game against the Yankees. Dotel, Linebrink, and Thornton are really good out of the pen. The top 3 guys out of the White Sox bullpen, Thornton, Dotel, and Linebrink, have an ERA of 2.73. Thornton and Dotel have pitched in over 40 games, and Linebrink has pitched in 39. I don't know who the Tigers top 3 before Rodney are, so if you could get that in here that would help out.

I'm not denying that Zumaya has been very erratic this season. I'm just saying that if he comes back with some control it just adds another dimension to the Tigers bullpen that the White Sox really don't have. There's no guarantee he will come back, but even without him the Tigers bullpen is more then capable of getting the job done.

The White Sox don't need a flamethrower like Zumaya though. Thornton comes in and throws an easy 97 or 98. By easy, I mean if you look at his motion, it doesn't take a lot of effort for him to throw that hard. Zumaya looks like he may throw his arm off when he pitches. But if he has control, he has to keep the fastball up near the thighs or belt. If it is low, I don't care how hard you throw it, people will turn around that fastball. It is easier to hit a low fastball than a higher one.

Once again I don't give two shits about the past. This season is what matters, and this season Rodney has been great. He's now 22 for 23 in save opportunities. He's getting the job done. This year Jenks just hasn't been his usual self, especially recently. Right now I'd be more comfortable seeing Rodney go out and try for a save then I would be to see Jenks.

Again, Rodney has been extremely good this season. Not saying he isn't. But what I was saying is that the past can come back on you. But it also may not. Now recently Jenks has had some health issues. Illness, and he just went to Outpatient Surgery I think to get kidney stones removed. So by Sunday or Monday at the latest, I would expect to see him in the 9th. So Rodney wins for now. We should check back in a couple of weeks and see how each other is doing.

I always have fun winning debates.

I've opened my eyes, but you have not won yet good sir. This may just end up being agree to disagree.

AL East: I have to give this to the Red Sox. They're starting to catch the Yankees, and the addition of Victor Martinez gives them a big boost in the line-up. I don't see the Yankees being able to hold on to a WC spot either, but that could be because I'm a Mets fan. The Rays are starting to get hot, but have too many bad games to go with all their great ones. I don't know if they have enough to catch or pass anyone.

AL Central: Pretty sure this belongs to Detroit. The White Sox and Twins made some nice moves, but not enough to catch the Tigers, just as their pitching starts to get hot. This could all change if Peavy comes back.

AL West: I'm going out on a limb here, and saying the Angels. I know, big limb, right? Their pitching gets hot at all the right times, and they're just outclassing everyone right now.

AL Wild Card: I'm giving this to Texas. Not only to keep the Yankees out, but they're staying right in the thick of things all year, and haven't showed many signs of slowing down.

AL Playoffs: The first round match ups should be Boston v Texas and Detroit v Anaheim/LA. Boston has too much of everything to not beat Texas, but the series should at least go to 4 games, with a close game closing the series. The Tigers have the pitching to overcome the Angels, in what could be a major upset. I say this, because if their pitching can beat Anaheim, they can beat Boston in a 7 game series. I'm tempted to take Detroit in 6, but think it'll go to 7 either way.

NL East: Those fucking Phillies. Not much else I can say here.

NL Central: St. Louis should take the lead soon, and all but run away with the division, killing my hopes of the Cubs in the Series. Holliday and DeRosa have made that line up to good to lose, and the pitching has at least been "good enough" all year. If Franklin doesn't implode, they can make a deep run.

NL West: Who thought we'd see this race in this division? I'm going to stick with LA to win, but only because I don't see what any of the other teams have to get past them. They're benefiting from a hot start, and should carry it into the playoffs.

NL Wild Card: I would've slapped myself for predicting this as recently as 3 months ago, but I'm going with the Giants. The duo atop the rotation is just too good to lose right now, and the bullpen has proven solid. There's a small chance they tire out though, but shouldn't be until after this spot is all but locked up. The line up is getting better, but may not be enough to do anything in the playoffs.

NL Playoffs: First round match ups would be LA v St Louis, and SF v Philly. The Dodgers and Cardinals could very easily go to 5 games, and will come down to who can stop Pujols or Manny. Pujols is a machine, I don't care what he says, and he carries his team through. San Fran won't lose a 5 game series. You'd have to beat either Cain or Lincecum twice, and that just won't happen. San Francisco v. St Louis just doesn't have the ring it had when it was Bonds and McGwire, but I like that. They both should be whipped in public for all this madness surrounding the game, but I'll save that for another day. In a 7 game series, there's a fairly good chance that St. Louis can beat the Giants. The bullpen would be worn out by then, and you can't ask the young guns to go 7+ every time they're out there. You'll ruin their careers.

This brings me to either a Cardinals rematch with the Tigers, or a rematch with the BoSox. If they face Detroit, I'd have to go with the same outcome we got last time. Detroit's pitching will be tired by then, and their line-up can't compete with the run output the Cardinals will have. If it's the Sox, then I'm going with the Sox to win. They have everything St Louis has, but better.

I'll keep that term of endearment in mind. You are right, I was a bit ignorant in saying that it is funny, when you look at all season. But lately, the White Sox staff has been better the past 2 months than the Tigers. I'd rather see mid-season form compared to the start of the season, when hitters are still trying to find themselves. Also I think we are looking at this differently. I think you are looking at it seasonally. Sure they are having a better season, but I am looking at it from a career perspective. But that is me.

You can count past successes and failures if you want, but shit changes. This year is what is most important and this year the Tigers pitching is better.
Currently, yes Floyd is probably the second best. But he has some of the best stuff on the team, if not the best. On other teams he could be an ace. His curve, when he can throw it for a strike, is similar to that of a video game curveball, similar to Verlander. The past two months, Floyd has an ERA of 2.61. Verlander's is 2.74. Floyd has pitched better than Verlander the past two months. Which is what I am getting at.

Actually Floyd has probably been your best pitcher the last couple months. He's even been better then Buehrle. Since the all star break Buehrle's ERA is just 4.33. That's not very good for the guy who's supposed to be your ace.

John Danks is the man that sent us to the playoffs last year. Thome's home run did but you know what I mean. 7 2/3 innings of shutting down the Twins, with Mauer and Morneau both doing jack squat. I know the its the past. But I am not surprised you are not impressed with him. He has better stuff than Buehrle, but he hasn't translated that to continual shut it down this year. He is still learning in his 3rd year on how to keep an even keel and not get ahead of himself or look past certain games. But, he has pitched well the past few months. June he didn't get run support, and had an ERA of 2.91, and July had an ERA of 3.24. Combined is 3.08.

Danks was good last year, but overall I've just never really liked him. He is also struggling as of late. He has a 5.55 ERA since the all star break. Actually the only White Sox starters with an ERA under 4 since the all star break are Floyd and Clayton Richard.
You make a point with Verlander's past struggles. This year he has owned us. But the thing about the past is it likes to rear its ugly head every so often. Can't entirely throw it out. But this year, 2-0 with a 0.50 era, stellar, and a for him. I enjoy good pitching.

I also enjoy good pitching, which is why I like seeing both of these teams pitch. But of course I enjoy the Tigers a little more. You know because they're better.

I do say it is a wash because if you are just going by stats, you don't see everything when it comes to the bigger picture. If Jackson is keeping guys off base, which I am guessing he is doing, I don't see many of his starts or highlights of them. But when runners are on, he gets rattled. Especially runners on 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd. Danks gets rattled with a runner on third or in scoring position and 2 outs. It is a whole bunch of stats. SI has them, there are too many to fit on here. But Jackson has pitched with an ERA of 3.04 the past two months, compared to the 3.08 by Danks. Touche.

The thing with Jackson is that he rarely gets into any trouble. Opponents are only hitting .217 against him which is the best in the AL. He also the second best ERA in the AL. Not many pitchers have great stats with runners in scoring position, but with Jackson is doesn't matter because most of the time guys aren't getting on base against him.

His ERA for June and July is 3.11. Not horrible.

That's great, but Contreras is back to his shitty self. Since the all star break he is 0-3 with a 6.52 ERA and he has only 16 strikeouts to 15 walks.

Peavy, well truth be told we have to wait for him to come back after rehab. If his ankle is as healed as possible, look out. Because you have to remember that the injury wasn't his arm or shoulder, it was his ankle. So I see no reason for him to be the 4th starter if his ankle is feeling good and strong. He is easily going to be 2nd only to Buehrle on this staff in the rotation. It takes time to get adjusted to both a new team, and get your arm comfortable. He can get his rhythm back in Triple A. He will probably make 3-4 starts in Charlotte. But Triple A isn't the Majors, I know. But he can work on getting his timing back, make sure he has the proper mechanics, and when he comes back up, he will be ready.

With Peavy I'll believe it when I see it. Until I see him have a quality start against a major league team when he comes back, then I'm going to be skeptical.

Bonderman would be an upgrade, but like you said, he will still need starts to get back into proper pitching condition. If it is his rehab assignment until he gets his condition, awesome for him and good luck on the last month. If not, then the Tigers need to hit while he is trying to get back to form.

Bonderman is just like Peavy. I'm not going to believe it until I see it, but the Tigers don't need him as much as the White Sox need Peavy.

I give them more credit looking at them than I did, to start this. But I am curious who you mean for the top 5 in the pen. Like honestly I'm not being a smartass. Are you including Rodney? Either way, for a while, the White Sox have been pretty much going with Carrasco, Pena, Dotel, Linebrink, and Thornton before Jenks. Pena is not that impressive to me, I'll give you that. But those 4 guys have been carrying quite a workload, especially Carrasco. He made a spot start for Clayton Richard after the Peavy deal, and actually kept the White Sox in the game against the Yankees. Dotel, Linebrink, and Thornton are really good out of the pen. The top 3 guys out of the White Sox bullpen, Thornton, Dotel, and Linebrink, have an ERA of 2.73. Thornton and Dotel have pitched in over 40 games, and Linebrink has pitched in 39. I don't know who the Tigers top 3 before Rodney are, so if you could get that in here that would help out.

For the top 5 in the White Sox bullpen I have Thorton, Dotel, Linebrink, Carrasco, and Jenks. For the top five in the Tigers bullpen I have Brandon Lyon, Ryan Perry, Bobby Seay, Fu Te Ni, and Fernando Rodney.

The White Sox don't need a flamethrower like Zumaya though. Thornton comes in and throws an easy 97 or 98. By easy, I mean if you look at his motion, it doesn't take a lot of effort for him to throw that hard. Zumaya looks like he may throw his arm off when he pitches. But if he has control, he has to keep the fastball up near the thighs or belt. If it is low, I don't care how hard you throw it, people will turn around that fastball. It is easier to hit a low fastball than a higher one.

I'm not saying the White Sox need that. I'm just saying it's something the Tigers have in their back pocket if Zumaya comes back with some control. I don't care how good a hitter is, they're not going to hit a 103 mph fastball that is located properly. Zumaya hasn't been able to locate it this season, but he has before and he's capable of doing it again.

I've opened my eyes, but you have not won yet good sir. This may just end up being agree to disagree.

It may, but we all know who's really right and that is me.

AL EAST-New York Yankees
-I hate the Yanks, I really do. I also hate the Red Sox, but not as much as the Yanks. But I'll give credit where credit is due and the Yanks are playing some good ball and I think they finish strong and make a nice push in the playoffs.

AL CENTRAL-Detroit Tigers
-They added Washburn to sure up the pitching staff, they have a decent bullpen, and a good offense. If Washburn can continue pitching like he was in Seattle and Verlander stays hot the Tigres will hold off the ChiSox.

AL WEST-Texas Rangers
-Call me outlandish, call me crazy, but the Rangers were my sleeper pick this year and I predicted that they would win the West and I'm sticking to it. They have a great offense and the pitching staff isn't as bad as it is portrayed. They just axed Padilla, so that improves them, as he was a weak link in the rotation.

AL WILDCARD-Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
-This was pretty much a toss up between them and the BoSox. And if I wasn't so stubborn and just gave the Halos the West, the BoSox would fill this spot, but what can I say I'm super stubborn and I stick to my word. So I give the slight edge to the Halos over the Sox here.

NL EAST-Philadelphia Phillies
-I'm a homer and every year I pick the Phils to win the East. So by default they go here. And they are making it easy right now, as they have a comfy lead in the division. But that could change (just ask the Mets). I don't see it happening, as Cliff Lee bolsters up the rotation and I think the Phils finish strong.

NL CENTRAL-Chicago Cubs
-I hate the Cubs, but for some reason I see them going on a late run and stealing the division lead from the Cards. They have a talented team and if they put it all together and play some solid baseball, they could make some noise come playoff time.

NL WEST-Los Angeles Dodgers
-No real way to go here. They have been one of, if not the best team in baseball all season. Even without Manny they played good ball and now that he is back they aren't missing a beat.

NL WILDCARD-San Francisco Giants
-There pitching is just too much. I contemplated going with the Rocks here, but I couldn't. The Giants have one of the best staffs in baseball and the best 1-2 punch IMO with Lincy and Cain. They could do some scary damage in the playoffs if their offense can generate some runs. And with Alex Rios being claimed on waivers by an unknown, I'm thinking the Giants just might be that team.

AL DIVISIONAL SERIES-New York Yankees vs. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and Texas Rangers vs. Detroit Tigers
-Give me the Yankees in 5 and give me the Tigers in 4

NL DIVISIONAL SERIES-Philadelphia Phillies vs. San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Chicago Cubs
-Give me the Phillies in 5 and the Cubs in 5

AL CHAMPIONSHIP-New York Yankees vs. Detroit Tigers
-Yankees in 6

NL CHAMPIONSHIP-Philadelphia Phillies vs. Chicago Cubs
-Phillies in 5

WORLD SERIES-New York Yankees vs. Philadelphia Phillies
-I honestly can't pick against my Phightin' Phils, so I'm picking them to win it all. Phillies in 7.

Friday night, the Yankees dominated the Red Sox in every facet of the game. They lit up John Smoltz, turned home plate into a launching pad, and broke their winless streak against the Sox. Yesterday, the Yankees pitched the best game they have all year. They allowed a grand total of four hits in 15 innings. A-Rod hit a walk-off home run, breaking his long drought without a home run. Now, the Sox are reeling and the Yankees are rolling. The Bronx Bombers have a comfortable 4.5 game lead in the division.

Tonight, CC Sabathia faces Clay Buchholz. This is a clear mismatch. The Yankees should win this game. Boston's bullpen is shot. They pitched everyone they have last night, and also went 12 innings against Tampa Bay this week. Buchholz has averaged 4 2/3 innings this year. He's going to have to perform out of his mind to win this game. CC, on the other hand, can eat atleast seven innings. We still have Hughes, Mo, and two other relievers that can pitch tonight if needed. Everything is in favor of the Yankees in this one. We won the game we were supposed to lose, yesterday, and now should take the series tonight.

EPIC FUCKING NEWS!!! for White Sox fans. So Jake Peavy threw off the mound yesterday, roughly about 50-55 pitches. The report from Peavy and White Sox GM Kenny Williams is that he looked good, and that he was pain free. Peavy is now set to start his rehab assignment in Charlotte this Thursday. He is most likely going to pitch 2-3 innnings. He is likely to get 3 starts in Charlotte, starting Thursday, and following with August 18th and 23rd, before being activated from the DL.

For Sox fans, this is huge. There was speculation he wouldn't even be able to pitch this season. When he completes his rehab stint in Charlotte, and is activated, it will be a huge shot in the arm for the White Sox and a huge boost in morale as well.

In other White Sox related news, Kenny Williams feels that Bartolo Colon is no longer part of the White Sox future. He is now on the DL, and likely won't be back with the team.

Breaking News: Pedro Martinez is set to make his Phillies debut against my team, the Chicago Cubs, on Wednesday.

I think Pedro will do OK with the Phillies, but not spectacular. I really don't think he will make too much of a difference. The Phillies already have a lot of starting pitching, so why do they need an injury prone, used to be awesome former star taking up valuable space on the payroll? Not too many teams were interested in him, but Philadelphia took a gamble on him. But I am kind of biased because I dislike Pedro and the Phillies. I hope the Cubs murder the ball against Pedro Wednesday.

As pedro joins the rotation, jamie moyer is being moved to the bullpen which i think is a bad idea. IMO it should be the other way around by keeping moyer in the rotation & putting pedro in the bullpen.

i know moyers ERA is god awful (like 5.47 & 3rd worst in the majors) but he does lead the team in wins with 10 (kinda hard to believe even with the run support) & what made the phils think pedro is ready to start again (he was 1-1 with a 5.11 ERA in the MINORS!!!!)

o well it looks like an easy win for your chicago cubs nwoevolution21 & i think eventually moyer will be moved back into the rotation & pedro to either the bullpen or back on the DL

This is good for my Marlins. With the Marlins looming in on the Phils only being 4 out, the more Pedro pitches = more ground the marlins pick up on the phils.

BREAKING NEWS: The Chicago White Sox have claimed Alex Rios off waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays. The Jays had 3 options, take Rios off waivers, work out a trade with Chicago, or let him go for nothing. Apparently they have chosen the 3rd option and let him go for nothing.

What a disappointing end for Rios in Toronto. He had SO much potential and when they signed him to that huge contract, he hasn't panned out at all. He was supposed to be a leader for this team for a long time with Vernon Wells (who has disappointed also), but now it's another bust for the Blue Jays. The positive is they save alot of money and can use that to offer Halladay a better contract and hopefully sign an impact player in the off-season. Here's hoping JP is not the GM.

For the White Sox, I can't really say the impact of the move yet. They got him for nothing, but took his huge contract. If he lives up to his potential, this is a GREAT pickup. Toronto fans know the hype behind this guy and now the Sox fans can experience it. If he doesn't live up to the potential, then they have to live with that contract for awhile. I guess it's time to play the waiting game.

Holy crap Kenny Williams just keeps making big moves. On Monday, he acquired Alex Rios from the Toronto Blue Jays, through the waiver process, which is usually unheard of. This brings in a dilemma of sorts, but possibly a good one for Ozzie and the coaching staff. Currently there are 4 usually starting outfielders, Quentin, Dye, Podsednik, and Rios. So Ozzie will have fun putting out the line-ups everyday. But Rios is a pretty big addition. He adds a another good bat in the line-up, sure his average this season is .264, "oh no his average is below .270 he is horrible." For his career he has hit .285, and with U.S. Cellular Field being a hitter's park, his average could rise from .264.

This isn't only another added chance to improve enough this season to attempt an overtake on Detroit, improve the present, but also improve for the future. The White Sox future is looking very good right now, with the young players gaining experience, older players still performing well, and bringing in 2 very good and hungry players. I like the future for the White Sox.

I like the move for the ChiSox for the short term definitely, but they took on a terrible contract for a guy that really hasn't lived up to expectations at all. He's definitely got a ton of talent though, and he raked a few years ago. He'll definitely help out the ChiSox's offense, I'm just not sure if they're going to be liking this deal so much when the offseason comes around and they've got that huge contract to contend with.

Rios had to go. He never lived up to expectation, and he was eating up way to much in contract. I do love the trade Williams was talking. But what it came down to is he did not value Rios enough to put out a trade for him. Now the Jays just have to focus on some other points of their game, and perhaps drop man number three of their salary hogs (Wells), after dropping Ryan and Rios.

Breaking News: Pedro Martinez is set to make his Phillies debut against my team, the Chicago Cubs, on Wednesday.

I think Pedro will do OK with the Phillies, but not spectacular. I really don't think he will make too much of a difference. The Phillies already have a lot of starting pitching, so why do they need an injury prone, used to be awesome former star taking up valuable space on the payroll? Not too many teams were interested in him, but Philadelphia took a gamble on him. But I am kind of biased because I dislike Pedro and the Phillies. I hope the Cubs murder the ball against Pedro Wednesday.

The Phillies are solid with the first 4 in their rotation(Lee, Happ, Blanton and Hamels) but Moyer has actually been pitching like the old man that he is. I don't think Moyer will do any good in the bull pen though. I think Pedro would have been the better option there. But he is only making a million bucks so he's not chewing up too much payroll. I honestly think the only reason they signed him was that they expected to trade Happ at the deadline for Halladay or other pitching help and they were surprised and got to keep Happin the Lee deal, and now have the log jam in the rotation.
The White Sox are building a team that could be scary in a short playoff series. I thought San Francisco was the team that claimed Rios, he would have been a good fit there as well.

National League

NL East: Philadelphia Phillies

No one's beating Philadelphia in that division. They're the best team in that division by a good distance and have a very solid lineup along with the addition of Cliff Lee. They're a very dangerous team and could possibly repeat.

NL CENTRAL: Chicago Cubs

I'm a HUGE Cubs fan. I'm also a realist. And the reality is that the Cubbies have played awful this season, yet only trail St. Louis by 3 games as of this post. That's a good thing, because their best is yet to come. They'll hit a hot streak and end up winning the division during the final week of the season.

NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers

The Dodgers are great. They've been one of the top two teams in baseball all season and will give Philly and Chicago a run for their money. Manny's still Manny, their pitching's still solid, and of course, you can never count out Joe Torre.

NL Wild card: St. Louis

I despise the Cards, but they're a well built team with Pujols, Matt Holliday, and Mark DeRosa. Along with their pitching, they can give teams fits and even win the NL Central from the Cubs.

American League

AL East: New York Yankees

It's about time all of that money paid off. With C.C. Sabathia, AJ Burnett, and Andy Pettite going strong and A-Rod, Jeter, Texeria, and others hitting their stride, they're a hard team to beat.

AL Central: Chicago White Sox

I don't see Detroit winning the division. I see them blowing it down the stretch and end up fading to the White Sox. Do I want this to happen? No. I hate the WSox, but you can't dispute facts, and any team that has Jake Peavy for the final stretch scares me.

AL West: Anaheim Angels

The Angels are the reapers of spoils in the West. They have no competition besides Texas, and they're a good distance behind Anaheim. The Angels can surprise a lot of teams and possibly give the Yankees fits.

AL Wild Card: Boston Red Sox

It's either going to be Boston or Texas. I pick Boston due to them being a better team. They have a solid lineup that can take it to anyone in the majors on a good night.

National League Division Series

Philadelphia v/s St. Louis

This will be a battle and I see St. Louis winning this in five games. The Cardinals are hot at the right time and have a lineup that matches up with anyone and Pujols is simply a game changer.

Chicago Cubs v/s Los Angeles

I'm taking the Cubs in four games here. IF the Cubs get hot at the right time and become reasonably healthy, the Cubs can beat LA. The Dodgers are good, but vulnerable and with this being a rematch, the Cubs will be prepared for this team that surprised them last year.

American League Division Series

New York Yankees v/s Chicago White Sox

Yankees will sweep the Sox out of this one, simply because the Yanks have too much power. Despite good efforts from Peavy and Buerhle, the Bronx Bombers have CC and AJ to combat those two powerful arms.

Boston Red Sox v/s Los Angeles Angels

I give this one to Boston in five. Two evenly matched teams with experience in the postseason. It's a tossup as to who could really win this. I pick Boston simply because I want to see Boston and NY in the ALCS.

National League Championship Series

Chicago Cubs v/s St. Louis Cardinals

This is my nightmare matchup, but I'm going to give it to the Cubs in seven. Ideally, the Cubbies will have the home field advantage and manage to hold their own at home, while the Cards win at Busch Stadium. Pujols is a big factor, but the Cubs have pitching to hold him at bay. The difference will be how healthy the pitching is for both teams.

American League Championship Series

New York Yankees v/s Boston Red Sox

I have to give this to the Yankees. Boston and NY will have a classic matchup, but the Yanks are too strong for the Sawx and have their number as of late, also. It'll go six games, but no further than that. Walk off by either Texeria or A-Rod will end it.

World Series

Chicago Cubs v/s New York Yankees

This is what I'm hoping for, and the ideal way for this season to end for the Cubs would be to sweep New York in Wrigley and claim a World Series title. It can't go any other way. If it goes to 5-7 games, the Yankees would win it. The Cubs can strike early and often and surprise the Yankees. It's happened. Boston did that to St. Louis, Florida did that to the Yankees, why not the Cubs? It'd be a dream come true to see this happen. A guy can dream can't he?

Jake Peavy had his rehab start Thursday, so I am a little late posting on the subject. He threw three shut out innings, allowing one hit, one walk, and struck out five, while throwing 43 pitches against Pawtucket. He was told to have looked very impressive in the outing.

He is going to need another two starts before he is taken off the DL and brought back to the White Sox. His presence with the big club will boost morale, as I previously said, people didn't think he would even be back this season. He can also teach Gavin Floyd and other young pitchers during the September call up a few new things, so the final stretch of the season should be a lot of fun.

John Smoltz signed with the St. Louis Cardinals today. They will initially use his a starter, which is good, because the Cards rotation after Piniero, Carpenter, and Wainwright has been a little shaky all year. Dave Duncan is a genius when it comes to turning pitchers' careers around (I'm looking at you Jeff Weaver) and there is absolutely no downside to this signing from my perspective. Great move for the Redbirds.

Man, how awesome has Clifton Phifer Lee been for my Phightin' Phils since coming here. He is dominating the NL. It is good to see the Phils put it all together. The starting ro is pitching well and the offense his starting to hit the ball again. All we need is to sure up the back end of the pen. And with the talks of Myers on his way back, it wouldn't surprise me to see him go to set up or even take the closer role if Lidge struggles.

I saw the Phillies might consider making a move for Billy Wagner, now playing with the Mets. The Mets put him on waivers. He is coming back from Tommy John surgery. I think it's worth a shot with as shaky as the Phils pen has been this year.

So, I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but Eric Bruntlett completed the unassisted triple play against the Mets. What makes it even better is that it ended the game. It's only the 14th unassisted triple play in MLB History. What a crazy play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back