[Official] 2009 MLB Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hands down the most grossly ignorant statement you've EVER made 48. You come off as such a bitter Yankees fan, it's sad. David Ortiz isn't a good player? Are you fucking kidding me? Never call yourself a baseball fan again if you aren't able to look past petty team rivalries. Ortiz has over 300 fucking home runs (the overwhelming majority of which came AFTER 2003), and that doesn't make him a good player? Is that a joke?

Worst post I've ever seen from you 48. Put away your god damned Red Sox bias for a minute and attempt to tell me that Ortiz isn't a good player. I'll kindly laugh in your face.

If you would have taken proper time to read my post, you would have seen that I said that David Ortiz was not a good player before steroids, comparing him to Alex Rodriguez. In the cases of Rodriguez, Bonds, etc. you had a player with great talent that took steroids to stay ahead. In this case, David averaged .266 and hit 58 home runs from 1997-2002. Now, he's hitting in the .230's with only 13 home runs and 55 RBI's. He does have good career numbers, but nothing about them are great. He had a couple of dominating years, but those are now called into question. He certainly was an average player before steroids, and a great player after.

Note: I just realized, from the way I worded the last sentence of my post, how you took it this way. I didn't intend to say that he wasn't a good player. He had a few years where he just killed the ball.

If you would have taken proper time to read my post, you would have seen that I said that David Ortiz was not a good player before steroids, comparing him to Alex Rodriguez.

In the cases of Rodriguez, Bonds, etc. you had a player with great talent that took steroids to stay ahead. In this case, David averaged .266 and hit 58 home runs from 1997-2002.

Were you even watching baseball when Ortiz was on the Twins? The man was plagued with knee and wrist injuries through out his entire time with the Twins and wasn't a starter for much of that time, but was always known as a good bench power bat. The guy had 75 RBIs his last year with the Twins, and that wasn't even playing a full season. Sounds pretty decent to me. I didn't realize to be a great player you had to instantly start raking the minute you entered the league.

Now, he's hitting in the .230's with only 13 home runs and 55 RBI's.

His numbers are down so much because of how much he struggled in the first few months. Last month the guy hit 7 HRs with a .303/.395/.606 line for a dazzling 1.001 OPS. He's coming around, the guy was just in a slump.

Also, remember, he reportedly tested positive in 2003. Lovely how you forgot to mention his numbers from 04-07, which were among the very best in the entire league. He was tested countless times in those few years and never tested positive.

He does have good career numbers, but nothing about them are great.

I thought you were supposed to be some sort of baseball historian 48?

# 301 Career HRs
# 5-time All-Star (2004-2008)
# Top 5 MVP vote-receiver five times (5th, 2003; 4th, 2004; 2nd, 2005; 3rd, 2006; 4th, 2007)
# 2005 Hank Aaron Award winner
# 4-time winner of the Silver Slugger Award (2004-2007)
# 5-time winner of the Edgar Martínez Award (2003-2007)
# Led the American League in extra base hits 3 times (2004, 2005, 2007)
# American League Championship Series MVP (2004)
# Led the American League in Home Runs (2006)
# Led the American League in Runs Batted In (2005, 2006)
# American League Player of the Month for September 2005 and July 2006.
# Member of the 2004 Boston Red Sox team that won the World Series.
# Red Sox single season home run leader (54; 2006)
# Tied with Babe Ruth for AL single season home run record in road games (32; 2006)
# First player ever to hit two walk-off home runs in the same postseason (against the Angels (ALDS) and Yankees (ALCS), 2004)
# First player in Red Sox history to hit 40 or more home runs in three consecutive seasons (2004-2006)
# Set new record for home runs by a DH in 2005 (47), then again in 2006 (54)
# 5 straight seasons of at least 30 HR and 100 RBI (2003-2007)
# Tied with Billy Hatcher for all-time post-season consecutive on-base streak (10)
# Member of the 2007 Boston Red Sox team that won the World Series.
# 85 extra-base hits or more for four consecutive years, something only 2 other players--Lou Gehrig (5) and Sammy Sosa (4)--have ever done.

Yeah, what an average career :rolleyes:

Don't even pretend to tell me that Ortiz hasn't had a great career. 300+ HRs is a massive accomplishment and 15-20 years ago would of been automatic Hall of Fame numbers. 300+ HRs isn't a great career? Hilarious, absolutely hilarious.

He had a couple of dominating years, but those are now called into question.

Really? Because the only number I see is 2003. He's never tested positive since, not to anyone's knowledge at least, and he was one of the most frequently tested players the last few years. But yeah, let's write off his entire career because of one negative test nearly 7 years ago. That's logical.

Note: I just realized, from the way I worded the last sentence of my post, how you took it this way. I didn't intend to say that he wasn't a good player. He had a few years where he just killed the ball.

Sorry if it seems like I'm jumping all over your case 48, but you're just coming off as nothing more than a total Yankee fanboy with complete bias towards Boston. Ortiz is one of the best players of this entire decade. 300+ HRs is a massive fucking accomplishment that a grand total of 124 players in the entire 140 year history of the MLB have accomplished. How exactly does that not make him a great player?

Were you even watching baseball when Ortiz was on the Twins? The man was plagued with knee and wrist injuries through out his entire time with the Twins and wasn't a starter for much of that time, but was always known as a good bench power bat. The guy had 75 RBIs his last year with the Twins, and that wasn't even playing a full season. Sounds pretty decent to me. I didn't realize to be a great player you had to instantly start raking the minute you entered the league.

I began following baseball in 2000, as well as a seven year-old can. To be fair, no, I didn't see much of David Ortiz. I don't get many Twins games here, and well, Ortiz wasn't really talked about on SportsCenter often.

His numbers are down so much because of how much he struggled in the first few months. Last month the guy hit 7 HRs with a .303/.395/.606 line for a dazzling 1.001 OPS. He's coming around, the guy was just in a slump.

He's hit five home runs this month with a .220/.278/.451 line for a mediocre 7.29 OPS. He had a great month of June, but other than that, he's have a very poor season.

Also, remember, he reportedly tested positive in 2003. Lovely how you forgot to mention his numbers from 04-07, which were among the very best in the entire league. He was tested countless times in those few years and never tested positive.

I did mention those. I told you that he was dominating in those years, and that he killed the ball. I fail to see where I didn't mention them.

And how do you know how often he was tested? :p

I thought you were supposed to be some sort of baseball historian 48?

Psh. I wish. It'd mean I wouldn't ever have to research anything.

Yeah, what an average career :rolleyes:

Notice he won all those awards from 2003-2007, after steroids? I can't say that his numbers were due to his steroid use, but...

Don't even pretend to tell me that Ortiz hasn't had a great career. 300+ HRs is a massive accomplishment and 15-20 years ago would of been automatic Hall of Fame numbers. 300+ HRs isn't a great career? Hilarious, absolutely hilarious.

Did Richie Sexson, David Justice, Adam Dunn, or Ron Gant have a great career?

Really? Because the only number I see is 2003. He's never tested positive since, not to anyone's knowledge at least, and he was one of the most frequently tested players the last few years. But yeah, let's write off his entire career because of one negative test nearly 7 years ago. That's logical.

I'm not writing off his career, I'm just saying that there are questions to be asked.

Sorry if it seems like I'm jumping all over your case 48, but you're just coming off as nothing more than a total Yankee fanboy with complete bias towards Boston. Ortiz is one of the best players of this entire decade. 300+ HRs is a massive fucking accomplishment that a grand total of 124 players in the entire 140 year history of the MLB have accomplished. How exactly does that not make him a great player?

It's not a problem. This posting thing would be no fun if people didn't well, think I'm an idiot. I'm going swimming.

300 home runs used to be a great accomplishment. It's not anymore. Players are getting there faster, and more often. Players who have had lackluster careers are a part of that club. It's hardly the mark for a great career.

It would appear that Orlando Cabrera has been traded to the Twins.

MLBTradeRumors.com said:
12:08pm: Yahoo's Tim Brown said it was a done deal, with the Twins sending Tyler Ladenorf to Oakland for Cabrera, but then quickly told me it's not done yet. USA Today's Bob Nightengale, via Twitter, says it's done.

Cabrera, 34, is hitting .280/.318/.365 on the season in 448 plate appearances. He has $1.75MM remaining on his contract, once you factor in a $250K bonus for being dealt. Though he profiles as a Type A free agent after the season, Cabrera's agent wisely negotiated a clause disallowing his club to offer arbitration. So, no draft picks for the team for the loss and no impediment to signing Cabrera from the player's point of view.

11:56am: Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle says Cabrera to the Twins is "very close." Slusser says Valencia is not part of the deal.

11:41am: La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune doesn't see the Twins as close to a deal for Cabrera. The A's apparently want third base prospect Danny Valencia. Neal wonders whether the Twins might go after David Eckstein or Kennedy instead.

FRIDAY, 1:26am: ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports that the A's and Twins are making "steady progress" as they discuss a deal that would send Cabrera to Minnesota.

THURSDAY, 11:31pm: Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports report that the Twins are making progress in their attempt to acquire Cabrera. The teams continued talking today and expect discussions to resume tomorrow.

9:30am: Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle has a few hot stove notes on the A's this morning.

* Despite interest, the A's do not intend to trade infielder Adam Kennedy. They might even try to re-sign him for 2010 eventually. The 33 year-old is hitting .296/.350/.434 in 327 plate appearances while playing second and third base. Oakland acquired Kennedy back in May from the Rays.
* Slusser debunks a Providence Journal report from Daniel Barbarisi that the Red Sox turned down a trade for Orlando Cabrera. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe agrees with Slusser, saying Cabrera "is not keen on returning to Boston."
* We do know that the Twins have talked to the A's about O-Cab. Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun says the Twins are "still chasing" Marco Scutaro as well.

Well it's looking like Orlando Cabrera is going to be a Twin by day's end. Good move by both teams. The A's are in their typical fire-sale mode and as usual got a good player in return, while the Twins got a solid bat to stick into the lineup and help them push ahead for a hopeful playoff run.

Any thoughts? (And yes 48, I beat you to the punch. Savor it.)

Jarrod Washburn has gone to the Tigers, and I am very disappointed. He's pitched so well this year, with an 8-6 record and a 2.64 ERA in 20 stars. He'll be a great arm in Detroit and will surely rack up the wins better than in Seattle. He's a veteran lefty who's got big game experience, having won a World Series with Anaheim. His resurgence is due to his new split-fingered fastball. I'm disappointed that the Yankees weren't able to snag him, but the Mariners were asking for our top prospect, catcher Jesus Montero. The Mariners got two young pitchers, Luke French and a minor league prospect, Mauricio Robles. French is 1-2 in five stars with the Tigers with an ERA of 3.38. In Triple A, his ERA was 2.98.

I beat you, X. Savor it.

There is talk of Victor Martinez landing in Boston as a part of a three-way trade. Cleveland would receive Clay Buchholz. Boston would look to move newly acquired Adam LaRoche to a third party. Martinez has great pop as a catcher, and hits for good average. He's hitting .284 with 15 long balls and 67 runs batted in. That bat in Boston would greatly improve their chances of taking back the East from the Yankees. Unfortunately, Martinez has been slumping this month, with 1 home run, 10 RBI, and a dismal .175 average. His OPS this month is .530, down .302 from his yearly total. If he returns to form, he'll end the year with over 30 home runs, 120 RBI, and an average over .300. I certainly don't want to see that in Boston. Boston would only be losing Buchholz, who I think is overrated. He's 6-11 lifetime with a 5.29 ERA. He's shown improvement though, winning one game and losing one this year with an ERA of three and a half. Still, Boston has more than enough pitching.

LMAO and Boston possible dumping LaRoche after like a week. I guess it shows just how valuable he is. It appers that Victor is definetly going to Boston, which would be huge for them. They could rotate him, Varitek, Youk, Big Papi, and Lowell between the corner infield positions, catcher, and DH. He has been in a slump as of late, but a few years ago he was known as the best catcher in baseball, even ahead of guys like Mauer.

Where do you get your info from 48? MLB Trade Rumors is the way to go man, they are almost always the first to break a story, and right now they're reporting that Clay Buchholz will NOT be included in this trade. Fox News technically is the one reporting that. Good news, because despite what you think (no offense 48 but I can't take a Yankees fan's opinion on anything about the Red Sox seriously) Buchholz has the stuff to be a stud.

Right now Jonathan Mayo (MLB.com) has just posted a Twitter message saying that the deal will include Justin Masterson and Nick Hagadone. It's looking like this deal is definitely about to happen, and I for one must channel my inner Randy Savage and say OOOHHHH YEAAAAAAHHHH!!!

V-Mart will be a great, great addition to our club, and if all we had to give up was Masterson & Hagadone, that is a god damn STEAL for the Sox. Masterson is great and extremely useful, but he's never going to be a top-level talent, and we already have a plethora of pitching. Hagadone is a solid prospect, but again, we have many of those as well.

This is great news, we really needed a change of things to help get things going again. Kind of sad for Varitek though, he's actually been doing pretty well this year (much better than anyone expected at least) and had a couple of RBIs just last night. He'll still get a good amount of starts I'm sure though.

We'll have to keep our eyes peeled to see how this story develops.

EDIT: It's being reported this is a DONE DEAL now by USA Today's Bob Nightengale. It's official everyone, the deal is Justin Masterson, Nick Hagadone, & Bryan Price for Victor Martinez.

Gotta love the trade deadline! Deal after deal all day long!

Oh and 48...STOP EDITING MY DAMN POSTS! :twak: No.

Man I'm amped about the Martinez trade, I can't wait to see him in a Sox uniform. We've been looking for a decent catcher for ages, and now we've got one with some damn good pop to his bat. He's been struggling a bit lately, but I'm confident he'll pull out of it. This is great news for the Sox.

Few minor trades to round up:

The Rockies acquired lefty reliever Joe Beimel from the Nationals, according to Chico Harlan of the Washington Post.

Adam LaRoche has been traded to the Braves, according to Yahoo's Gordon Edes.

The Yankees acquired Jerry Hairston Jr. from the Reds, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

I'm curious to see what we got for LaRoche. I imagine not very much, maybe a B prospect if we're lucky and some cash.

I can't imagine you're too excited over acquiring Hairston 48. He's mediocre at best, not sure what the Yanks want him for. Depth I suppose.

EDIT: LaRoche has been traded for Casey Kotchman. EXCELLENT deal for the Sox, and one that makes absolutely zero sense for the Braves..

CBS Sports is now reporting that Adam LaRoche will infact be swapped for Casey Kotchman. Seriously, what the FUCK is Wren thinking? How does that deal in any way help the Braves? Kotchman is definitely the superior ball player, and has way more upside. Frank Wren has some damn explaining to do.

Yet another trade, this one actually kind of a big deal:

2:56pm: FOX Sports says the Blue Jays will get Edwin Encarnacion and a minor leaguer. Rolen is expected to approve the deal.

2:40pm: The Reds acquired third baseman Scott Rolen, according to SI's Jon Heyman (via Twitter). The next step is Rolen approving the trade. He's owed $4MM this year and another $11MM in 2010. The slick-gloved 34 year-old has bounced back to hit .320/.370/.476 in 373 plate appearances this year.

Pretty even trade, though I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of it is. Neither team is going making a playoff run this year. I'd rather have Rolen of the two, nice pop and a hell of a glove. Reds definitely made this trade thinking about next year, perhaps something big could be on the horizon?

This thread is going to be constantly bumped today people, somebody join in on the fun! It's the god damn trade deadline!

EDIT: Rumors are now swirling that Nick Johnson has been traded to the Marlins. It's looking like this may be a done deal

Fuck, the White Sox haven't made any big splash deals. I think they feel the team is good enough to win the division as is, which for the most part I agree with. The only thing I would do for the waiver period is go for one more reliever. Kotsay like I said before has shored up the bench a little bit, and provides insurance in the outfield and at first base.

Other notable trades. Tigers getting Washburn. Fuck this sucks was my original thought. He is their third reliable starter in the rotation, with the last two starters being wild cards for the rotation.

The Twins getting Orlando Cabrera. Just when I thought the Twins couldn't be bigger pains in the ass, they go and get Cabrera. This will be a close three team race in the AL Central for the rest of the season.

Yankees getting Jerry Hairston Jr? They would be better with Ken Griffey Jr man. Hairston has not lived up to anything his family has done. Mediocrity is Jerry Hairston Jr.

By the way 48, how do you think this Yankees-White Sox series will end on Sunday?

You may have spoken too soon ChiHawks...

Not sure what to make of this, but SI's Jon Heyman tweeted that Padres pitcher Jake Peavy was dealt to the White Sox again. Heyman is not sure if Peavy OK'd it. He says the Padres get minor leaguers. Peavy is currently recovered from a torn ankle tendon.

Take that with a huge heaping of salt, because odds are this is nothing but pure bullshit and will NOT be happening. I don't believe for one second that this is true, not one second. The rumor is worth reporting I guess though. I'm sure you'd flip out if it turned out to be true eh ChiHawks?

Still though...odds of Peavy approving seem slim, he doesn't want to pitch in the AL last I heard.

Holy shit...holy fucking shit. If he has officially okayed the deal I will flip my shit and run out of my house screaming. I am rocking back and forth like an expectant father. This could be huge, but I will be a little disappointed that they let go Aaron Poreda and Clayton Richard. Then after 10 seconds I will say "Oh well, we got FUCKING JAKE PEAVY!!!!!!" According to both ESPN and CSN Chicago, the deal is official and Peavy is a part of the south siders. FUCK YES. I still want to find out if it is official, some sort of alert or breaking news because this is fucking huge for the White Sox. Poor Clayton, he was doing so well his last two starts. Perhaps Peavy grew balls and decided he would want to try and pitch in the American League.

To: David

3:35pm: USA Today's Bob Nightengale, via Twitter, says the White Sox confirmed they just got Peavy. Brock agrees - Peavy approved the trade this time. Peavy is owed $56MM through 2012, or $74MM through 2013 if the Sox exercise his option.

Well god damn I'm shocked. I didn't expect this to actually go through. Good deal for both sides. Padres aren't going to be competing any time soon and they got a real nice haul in return. The White Sox get one of the best pitchers in the game. Good for both sides.

Any word on when Peavy is set to return?

Well god damn I'm shocked. I didn't expect this to actually go through. Good deal for both sides. Padres aren't going to be competing any time soon and they got a real nice haul in return. The White Sox get one of the best pitchers in the game. Good for both sides.

Any word on when Peavy is set to return?

A whole bunch of people are saying random dates. I hear some for August, some for September, and others are saying next year. But then again I can't find any baseball analysts, so I decided to finally flip on ESPN News and hopefully hear something. If I don't hear anything on there then I will wait for some Chicago sports shows and find out. But this is huge no matter what. He is under contract for at least 3 more years. I didn't think he would waive his no-trade clause.

It doesn't look like Roy Halladay is going anywhere. No team came up with the right deal for JP to agree to so Halladay is staying a Blue Jay. It's bittersweet really, I'm happy he's still with us, but mad because he won't have a chance to win with the Blue Jays.

Also, it's sad to see Rolen go. He's been great this year for the Jays. He's got a great bat and an awesome glove. He was ripping it with Hill and Lind in the rotation. Good luck with the Reds Rolen, all the best.

Ok I know this thread is for this year, and hopefully he is able to come back for the September run. Should the White Sox make the playoffs, it is quite possible with the Central being winnable (sp?), but tough division, that is a very tough 4 man rotation with Buehrle and Peavy probably going 1-2, with Danks and Floyd going 3 and 4 respectively. I am jacked right now.

But even if Peavy doesn't pitch this season, he has all winter to rest, and come back next season. That would be a killer 4 man rotation, with the 5th guy possibly being Jose Contreras. If it is Contreras at the end then that is one hell of a rotation, and could arguably be one of the top rotations in the game. It would probably be Mark Buehrle, Peavy, John Danks, Gavin Floyd, and then whoever the 5th starter is. That is a hell of a rotation and I don't care what league or division you are in, that is some tough arms day in and day out.

LaRoche for Casey Kotchman, seriously? What was the point of LaRoche to the Sox in the first place. He's been there all of a week and they have already got rid of him. If only the Pirates had done the same a week after they got him.

Peavy to the White Sox sounds big, but I'm not sold on him. He's been injury prone the last few years and I'm not sure he will be able to put up any more seasons like he did a few years ago. It doesn't sound like the Sox gave up that much for him, but still.

I don't really get the Encarnacion/Rolen deal. I'm not sure what the purpose of swapping them was, the Reds are still awhile away from contending and the Blue Jays could've probably gotten more for Rolen by shipping him to a contender.

Victor Martinez was easily the biggest acquisition of the day. Boston only had to give up Masterson, who is a decent bullpen guy, and a couple of prospects for him. He is going to be a big addition to that line up and the possible spark that they need to make a playoff push.

Jeez a day after the Trade Deadline is over no one currently has anything to say. But I do now, as it will answer this question. Now that the deadline is passed, we are now in the waiver period, where a bunch of players are likely to be claimed on waivers, but most deals are highly unlikely. Now I have two questions, A) Do you think a significant big name player will be traded during the Waiver Deadline? and B) Now that the Trade Deadline is passed, how do you feel about your team, both for the rest of this season and into the future?

I don't think any significant players will be traded, but then again, it is baseball and anything can happen. Maybe a small move a team makes could be a huge move in the end. But who knows?

As for my White Sox, I feel really good right now with where we are in the standings. We are 1.5 games back of the Tigers, and the Twins are sitting 3 back of the Tigers as well. I really feel the White Sox can pull it out this year down the stretch. Detroit's pitching, even with the addition of Jarrod Washburn is still fairly shaky, as they have 3 legit starters in Verlander, Jackson, and Washburn, and 2 youngsters. The White Sox have 4 legit starters in Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, and Contreras. Contreras may be shaky, but when he is on he is one of the more difficult pitchers to face. The news on Jake Peavy is looking positive. His ankle is doing better, but it is weak, and not up to normal strength, as expected. Reports say he could throw off of a mound in the next few days, and it looks like he could be back from his rehab at the end of the month. Down the stretch in September will be a lot of fun to watch and keep an eye on.

As for the future, I definitely see the White Sox as a contender for the World Series. The pitching staff is going to be a stellar front 4, with Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, and Floyd. The 5th starter will be looked at as whatever they get will be gravy. Konerko will be in the final year of his contract I think, it could be second to last year, AJ will still be behind the plate. Chris Getz, Alexei Ramirez, and Gordon Beckham will be looked at to step up their game, although Beckham is certainly making his push for Rookie of the Year right now. If Quentin can stay healthy, he will be the best hitter in the lineup without question, Podsednik if he comes back will be at the top again, and if Jermaine Dye comes back then that is a scary team to face, and could be up there with Boston, New York, Tampa, and LA as teams you know you are going to have a tough night day in and day out. There are quite a few ifs, but if the main core of this roster and lineup are still here next year, look out American League, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

So what are your thoughts on your team?

I'm not going to answer David's question, because I well, don't have a clue about waivers. But, I feel the Yankees are in good shape as of now. We've got the strongest offense in the game, filled with veteran players who will perform. Our starting pitching is shaky at best, but if they can give six decent innings, the strong bullpen can take over. If we have a lead in the ninth, we have a win. My only worry is an injury to a starting pitcher, but hey, we can always give The Rocket a call.

I'm not going to answer David's question, because I well, don't have a clue about waivers.

Lol. 48.7, the waiver period is basically the whole month of August, and players can be claimed on waivers once. If you ever watch Baseball Tonight, Steve Phillips would say how he would claim a whole bunch of players to keep them from being traded to other teams. If a player is claimed on waivers, the GM that claims him has a certain time frame to make a trade deal for said player. Usually major deals aren't common during the waiver period, but they do happen.

Boston RedSox made a great move at the deadline and in my opinion the favorite to win the American League. They now have an allstar catcher instead of cant hit and cant throw anybody out for my life Jason Varitek. Lowell is back healthy which means Youkillis is back at first. Also the RedSox are going to get one more guy for their bullpen such as Brian Bannister who the Yankees want but do the Yankees with the better record we have a first chance over the Yankees. We have the best rotation in baseball when Wakefield and Dice-K come back 100%. Beckett Lester (yes been inconsistent but is pitching better as of late), Wakefield, Dice-K, and Buchholz. I would put John Smoltz in the bullpen as my setup man which could be a solution instead of getting bullpen help in a waiver trade and the RedSox win it all.

As we are now in August the playoff races are heating up and the majority of teams are still alive. So now who do you think will be the 8 teams playing in October this year. Complete your bracket and explain why each team will move on in each round.

Here is mine:
AL EAST: RedSox - They have the best pitching and with Victor Martinez in the middle of that lineup they are finally complete.
AL Central: Tigers - With the addition of Jarrod Washburn the Tigers rotation has that 1-2 punch and in a not as strong division are clearly the best.
AL West: Angels - No surprise here. Without Vlad or Torii Hunter are the hottest team since the all star break. They have it all.
Wildcard: Yankees - I think they will barely beat the Rays and Rangers for this one. As the do have the best hitting and CC Sabathia is due to heat up. Joba is pitching great and their bullpen has been solid

NL East: Phillies - CLiff Lee makes them the team to beat in the NL, with a good rotation and one of the best lineups in baseball.
NL Central: Cardinals - Matt Holliday is playing amazing baseball and is carrying them with Pujols in his slump. Once he heats up there is no stopping them in this division.
NL West: Dodgers - Best team in baseball for majority of the year and are cruising into the playoffs
Wildcard: Marlins - I might be crazy on this one, but I think the Rockies and Giants are gonna knock each other out of this one and I think the Marlins have better pitching then the Cubs and now better hitting with Nick Johnson in their lineup, getting rid of The terrible Bonifacio. If they get 1 more bullpen guy which they are working on they have a great shot this year at the playoffs.

RedSox vs Tigers: Red Sox win in 4 as they will just outmatch the Tigers
Yankees vs Angels: Yankees in 5 in a great series but with Sabathia Burnett and Joba is just a dominate top 3
Red Sox vs Yankees: Red Sox in 7. Another classic series between these rivals but the RedSox have their number and are the best in the AL.
Dodgers vs Marlins: Dodgers in 4. The Marlins are just 1 year away from being a great team and a threat for the World Series, but Johnson will get them a win.
Cardinals vs Phillies: Phillies in 4. Cliff Lee will carry them to victory and Utely, Rllins, and Howard are gonna step it up.
Dodgers vs Phillies: Phillies in 6. Rematch of last year NLCS with the same result.

World Series: Red Sox vs Phillies: Red Sox in 6. A great series but the RedSox have the best 5 man rotation and a great lineup which will ultimately give them the trophy.

I like the thread idea, but it also shows your novice knowledge on the Central divisions. :disappointed: But here we go with mine, and I will add a little more to explain the Central.

AL East- I have to concur with the Red Sox. They do look like the best team in the AL, but it will only happen if Victor Martinez can stay healthy and productive, but then again that is the situation for all teams. Staying healthy and productive. They have the better pitching in the division, and that lineup is stacked.

AL Central- My biggest gripe with you right now. You say the addition of Jarrod Washburn puts the Tigers over the top as the favorite for the Central. How mistaken you are. Even with Washburn, the Tigers pitching staff is too sketchy, both starters and the bullpen. And that is what wins games, pitching. Tigers have a 3 punch right now, having to rely on two youngsters who haven't proven themselves. The White Sox have a 4 punch, and when Jake Peavy comes back for the September push, that will make it a 5 punch. Don't count out the Twins though, it will be a fun race. But the White Sox will win the American League Central Division.

AL West- Angels have the best record in the AL right now. They have solid pitching and just seem to win lately. Won't count the Rangers out of the race yet, but I think the Angels are just too tough. No major change here.

Wild Card- Yankees will win unless they have a big collapse. They have been playing good baseball, except losing 3 of 4 against my White Sox (sorry 48.7 had to throw it in lol) and I don't see the Rangers overtaking them. Pitching is good and offense is good with Jeter leading off.

Best Record- Angels keep their winning ways and cruise to the best record in the AL, enjoying it by 2 games over the Red Sox

NL East- Phillies will win easily. The addition of Cliff Lee gives them the real number 2 they need behind Cole Hamels. That is a really good 1-2 punch, and with Blanton and Moyer on the back end, they make it easily. Offensively and defensively they are solid.

NL Central- I hate saying this, but you are not giving the Cubs enough credit. That will be a tight race between the Cards and Cubs. Cubs are starting to play fairly well. And for Thriller if he reads this, I apologize. I have to take the Cubs. As I said, they are heating up and could play like they should have been all year, if that happens, Cubs will win.

NL West- Dodgers are the frontrunners in the division. Will stay there. Manny is doing what he wants in Mannywood, and they have some decent starting pitching. Manny is a risk in left field, so defensively I would be worried, but hey, he could make up for it with a dramatic home run right? Offense is pretty good, was even without Manny.

Wild Card- I'll take the Cardinals in a surprise. Cardinals will keep it close in the Central, but with the Cubs taking the division, they will overtake the Rockies and Giants in the Wild Card. Pujols is too beastly to not make the playoffs this year, especially with Holliday behind him.

Best Record- Dodgers will also keep their best record in the NL. Their record will be 3 games better than the Phillies.

AL Playoffs

Yankees vs. Angels. Angels win in 4 games due to better pitching and a more timely offense. Yankees again will be one and done this year. Angels are just too tough for the Yankees, their pitching is solid, and can wear down anyone after Sabathia offensively.

White Sox vs. Red Sox. A good matchup for both squads. I will take the White Sox in 5 games. Pitching is equal, no matter what anyone says. I will debate that with anyone. Offensively, I think the youth of the White Sox will carry them, with Gordon Beckham leading the way in dramatic fashion. Red Sox better offense, White Sox better with timely offense.

ALCS. Another rematch of 2005. It will be the White Sox in 7. I truly believe that after the Red Sox, the White Sox match up with the Angels very well. Pitching I would give the slight edge to the White Sox, but not by much. Offensively it will be smart ball, no question. I think the White Sox have just a tad more speed than LA, but Chone Figgins could change the series around.

NL Playoffs

Cardinals vs. Dodgers. This will go all 5 games of the NLDS. Cardinals with the upset over the favored Dodgers. Manny won't perform and it will be an incredible letdown in Mannywood. It will be a fun series, but Manny will be depended on and just won't come up in the clutch this year.

Cubs vs. Phillies. Phillies either in a clean sweep or 4 games. I can't choose if the Cubs will actually win a playoff game or not this year. Either way Phillies will win the series due to better pitching and a better offensive performance.

NLCS pits the defending champion Phillies vs. the Wild Card-inals (like that? lol) The Phils win in 7. Close, tough, gritty series that will see a lot of power and speed. Pitching goes slightly to the Phils, with offense going to the Cards. But in the playoffs pitching wins games.

World Series

Phillies vs. White Sox. White Sox with the home field advantage due to the AL winning the All Star Game. White Sox win in 6 games. Pitching edge goes to the White Sox, defense goes to Phillies, and offense is very even. White Sox will win games 1-2 at home, take one game in Philly, and win game 6 at home.

My winner, the Chicago White Sox. Anyone up for debate? Lol

I have to debate this one but are you kidding me. The WhiteSox winning it all. I know its your favorite team but dont show your bias. Jarrod Washburn right now is one of the top 5 pitchers in the MLB in the past month. Verlander just lost his first game at home all year. Yes their rest of rotation is shaky but they were in first without Washburn and I think he keeps them in first rest of the way. Well you are relying on a man to come back in September which is a stretch, and he definitely wont be 100% to lead your team to playoffs let alone a World Series. The Red Sox by far have a better rotation then the White Sox, the Yankees have a better rotation and so do the Angels for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back